PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Island Bow Shops

Ciskman
04-16-2008, 09:25 AM
Are their any shops on the island where I can actualy shoot a bow before dropping 1000 dollars??:eek: Thanks!

c.r.hunter
04-16-2008, 10:04 AM
The Tyee/Peters store in Courtenay is apperently building a shooting lane in the back room of the new store. You can go down and ask when.

yote
04-16-2008, 10:14 AM
I shot my bow behind Island Outfitters when I set my arrow rest up. You should call them and see if they still offer that.

mikek blacktail
04-16-2008, 12:15 PM
what are you looking to buy

OOBuck
04-16-2008, 12:19 PM
I shot my bow behind Island Outfitters when I set my arrow rest up. You should call them and see if they still offer that.

Yuppers they will let you try any bow going.. Ask to talk to Bill or Joanne..

Dragginbait
04-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Buckys in Duncan has an indoor area, I tried mine before I bought it. Talk to Richard, good guy.

Ciskman
04-16-2008, 04:07 PM
what are you looking to buy

Not to sure yet. Ive been bowhunting for years, started out on it actualy. Anyways Ive had a Champion Stratus since the begining...I dont think theyre even in buisness anymore, anyways time for a change. Im leaning towards a Hoyt Vectrix or perhaps a Bowtech guardian but I would realy like to go try them out..who knows, maybe there will be something else on the shelf that Ill like better...decisions, decisions...:-)

kloosterboer
04-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Buckys in Duncan has an indoor area, I tried mine before I bought it. Talk to Richard, good guy.

X2 Richard is great!!:smile:

Ciskman
04-16-2008, 08:14 PM
X2 Richard is great!!:smile:

What brands does he sell?

The Hermit
04-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Go recurve!! :-)

Bow Walker
04-16-2008, 08:28 PM
What we (archers) need is for the "Sporting Goods" shops to recognize that there is a huge untapped market out there as far as archery is concerned. We are ready and willing to drop serious coin for a little service/expertise/help!!

Well, for any archers between Langford/Sooke/Jordan River/Port Renfrew there is just that help on the horizon. It has been confirmed that Eagle Eye Outfitters is adding a much needed (and anticipated) archery department. After a false start, Eagle Eye has taken the bull by the horns and jumped into the fray once again.

Look for (and expect) an area to test shoot your bow's modifications, some real hands-on advice, and quality equipment/accessories to be available for the newbie/wannabe right up and through the seasoned archer.

There will be someone to answer questions, someone to install and tune add-ons to your bow, someone to build you your custom arrows, and someone to B.S. with. This someone can also take your new purchase and get you shooting comfortably with it in a very short time.

Look for the "grand opening" very soon.

Dragginbait
04-16-2008, 09:15 PM
[quote=Bow Walker;273917]
Well, for any archers between Langford/Sooke/Jordan River/Port Renfrew there is just that help on the horizon. It has been confirmed that Eagle Eye Outfitters is adding a much needed (and anticipated) archery department. After a false start, Eagle Eye has taken the bull by the horns and jumped into the fray once again.

Well they haven't jumped quite yet, I was there on Friday and all they had for archery was a box of cross bow bolts.

Grantmac
04-16-2008, 09:59 PM

+1 on that, and you won't have to upgrade in a year or two when the "latest and greatest" hits the shelves.

Ciskman
04-16-2008, 11:00 PM
+1 on that, and you won't have to upgrade in a year or two when the "latest and greatest" hits the shelves.

haha, maybe Ill try it out some day, not right now though. Im prety sure I wont get into the "arms race" so to speak. This is only my second bow in about 6 0r 7 years. Seeing as how I spend most of my time with th bow, and zip with a rifle I decided to buy myself a nice expensive one that hopefully will last me for many years:smile:

Bow Walker
04-17-2008, 08:47 AM
[quote=Bow Walker;273917]

Well they haven't jumped quite yet, I was there on Friday and all they had for archery was a box of cross bow bolts.
The initial order is being put together as we/I type...should be going in by next week.

rifleman
04-17-2008, 06:14 PM
yeah me too. a great place to buy a bow , very personable & knowledgeable.

kloosterboer
04-17-2008, 06:33 PM
What brands does he sell?

I'm not sure what brands he sells, I know he carries hoyt. Here is a link to the website. There is a phone number and a email on the site http://www.buckys-sports.com/

Eagle1
04-20-2008, 06:13 PM
What we (archers) need is for the "Sporting Goods" shops to recognize that there is a huge untapped market out there as far as archery is concerned. We are ready and willing to drop serious coin for a little service/expertise/help!!

Look for (and expect) an area to test shoot your bow's modifications, some real hands-on advice, and quality equipment/accessories to be available for the newbie/wannabe right up and through the seasoned archer.

There will be someone to answer questions, someone to install and tune add-ons to your bow, someone to build you your custom arrows, and someone to B.S. with. This someone can also take your new purchase and get you shooting comfortably with it in a very short time.

This is good, we need a shop far out of town { the few guys out there will like it } where we can try all manufacters bows and have someone with more than 5 years exppirreance to help us, then go home and order one off the internet cause its cheaper by $ 10.00 What lines of BOWS are you ordering? We know theres a market out there for archery but how many buy a $ 1500.00 bow then don't buy another one for 3-4 years and the shop is left with brand new bows sitting on the self that are out dated and that new fangeled gaget you just had to have is now 6 months old and no one wants it cause theres something better, so the manufacters say.

Nails
04-20-2008, 11:31 PM
Good point Bill, I say richard at buckys or rick at tyee/peters both great guys with good information.

Bow Walker
04-21-2008, 12:02 AM
This is good, we need a shop far out of town { the few guys out there will like it } where we can try all manufacters bows and have someone with more than 5 years exppirreance to help us, then go home and order one off the internet cause its cheaper by $ 10.00 What lines of BOWS are you ordering? We know theres a market out there for archery but how many buy a $ 1500.00 bow then don't buy another one for 3-4 years and the shop is left with brand new bows sitting on the self that are out dated and that new fangeled gaget you just had to have is now 6 months old and no one wants it cause theres something better, so the manufacters say.

Well Bill - initially there aren't going to be any high-end bows in stock. Just a good selection of arrow shafts, sights, rests, releases, and accessories for people who own bows already.

That being said, there is no stopping someone from ordering a bow and getting it through Eagle Eye. Setup, installation of accessories, and tuning are all part of the package.

I hope that your comment about someone with more than 5 years experience is sincere, because I believe that there is a need out here and that there is enough for "everyone".

Eagle1
04-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Well Bill - initially there aren't going to be any high-end bows in stock. Just a good selection of arrow shafts, sights, rests, releases, and accessories for people who own bows already.

That being said, there is no stopping someone from ordering a bow and getting it through Eagle Eye. Setup, installation of accessories, and tuning are all part of the package.

I hope that your comment about someone with more than 5 years experience is sincere, because I believe that there is a need out here and that there is enough for "everyone".

What no bows, Walmart has good arrows{ CX Express}I think minimum 20 Dz to get a competative price to other shops and Gametracker brand acc.

Order a bow, Distributars want you to buy 10 bow minimum, thats each popular brand, PSE,Bowtech, Hoyt, Browning,Diamond,and such. Buy a bow from the shop, set-up install acc and tuning should be included at any good shop, buy it else where shops should charge for their services,if they don't thats saying their time and expertice is worthless.

So if I went in there the " pro" could tell me why X carbon is better cause it cost more than Y brand shaft, "pro" could super tune my bow cause I read it on the internet and I will get 2 more FPS.A lot of people have their oun bow press, but a lot don't know how to use them the right, I've seen broken bows cause they were pressed wrong or not in the new parralell limb design bow press.
At the best of times there is about 130 3-D shooters on the Island and about 50 target shooters and maybe 50-75 more that only hunt with the bow thats not a lot for the WHOLE Island.
I'm certified PSE dealer/tech school,Easton shafts tech school, PSE shooter school, { right at the PSE factory, Tuson} and a NCCP level one coach and 30 + years in archery so 5 yr + is a good thing cause most archers know alot and a lot think they know it all, I learn something new in archery all the time, expecially string making or bow tuning.
Good luck with it, hope it does good, let us know when it happens.

OOBuck
04-21-2008, 10:18 PM

Whats wrong with a long bow??? What was wrong with a bow in the first place that it had to be recurved???? poor bow :tongue:

OOBuck
04-21-2008, 10:27 PM

You gave up on needle point and desided to get a job???:lol: Are you that somebody???

Bow Walker
04-22-2008, 04:14 PM
You gave up on needle point and desided to get a job???:lol: Are you that somebody???
I'll be cutting meat at the Western Foods Store full time, plus putting in some hours at Rona in Langford, and maybe a shift or two at the Beer n Wine store.

Bow Walker
04-22-2008, 04:37 PM
Bill - The people who own/run the only sport shop out here are being asked for archery equipment almost all the time. If they try to satisfy thier customers who can fault them for that?

Eagle Eye has been burnt by a so called "pro" in the past (big time), so if they want to address a definite need by getting in some equipment and having someone to help answer questions and to do their service work, why make comments like the one that starts out your 3rd paragraph?

I'm sure that the Vict. store started out by taking small careful steps just to get to where they are now - not that they are on top or anything, it's just that there are no other choices. Soon, if business warrants it, I suspect that they will get a full time "pro" in there. Hopefully it'll be you.

OOBuck
04-22-2008, 08:05 PM
I'll be cutting meat at the Western Foods Store full time, plus putting in some hours at Rona in Langford, and maybe a shift or two at the Beer n Wine store.

What do you do in your spare time? :smile:

Eagle1
04-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Bill - The people who own/run the only sport shop out here are being asked for archery equipment almost all the time. If they try to satisfy thier customers who can fault them for that?

Eagle Eye has been burnt by a so called "pro" in the past (big time), so if they want to address a definite need by getting in some equipment and having someone to help answer questions and to do their service work, why make comments like the one that starts out your 3rd paragraph?

I'm sure that the Vict. store started out by taking small careful steps just to get to where they are now - not that they are on top or anything, it's just that there are no other choices. Soon, if business warrants it, I suspect that they will get a full time "pro" in there. Hopefully it'll be you.

No fault intended Dan, as I said I hope they do good.

I'm just saying they better have some one who knows a little more than the average person to anwser questions and set up bows, as the internet makes every one a "PRO"

I've no Idea, proably . There are lots of choices as it seems now a days every one buys stuff off the internet { as you know } cause its cheaper out of the USA,most times. I already work 6 days a week and then most evenings I'm making strings and tunning bows after diner till 9.00 - 10.00 pm.

As I said good luck with the new archery in the store, I hope they do well.

bowx4
04-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Eagle1......Bowwalker get along, i've seen kids in kindergarden act more mature .......not that you two aren't....lol

Calum
04-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Another vote for Buckeys in Duncan, IMHO one can't go wrong dealing with a guy that actually build bows himself.

Bow Walker
04-23-2008, 09:06 PM
What do you do in your spare time? :smile:

Help out customers at Eagle Eye ;)

Bow Walker
04-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Eagle1......Bowwalker get along, i've seen kids in kindergarden act more mature .......not that you two aren't....lol

Bill and I have known each other for a number of years now - a bit of friendly critisism and advice never hurt anyone.:cool:

bowx4
04-30-2008, 10:41 PM
Danny you're kiddin really.......your bro and i have known one another a long time too.......hahahahahh

Jehiah
07-11-2009, 07:03 AM
I know this thread is old but I must say that I just swung by Blacktail outfitters out of Ladysmith and was thouroughly impressed. Lots of good things to say about the two gents running that store - Jim and Dan.
They had a fairly decent stock of bows and equipment and hadnt even had their interac/visa machine set up yet!
Definately worth checking it out. And apparently they have a hootershooter too.

358win
07-11-2009, 08:18 AM
Wholesale Sports in Nanaimo has a short indoor range but you'll have to wait until the end of July when they open.

Bigbear
07-12-2009, 09:37 PM
At Our Shop In Williams Lake , you Can shoot out to 40 Yards , so you can get the feel Up Close , or see how you feel with it at longer Ranges. There is even a tree Stand situation , so you see how that fits you as well

Bow Walker
07-13-2009, 10:05 AM
I'm glad to hear the store in Ladysmith - Blacktail Outfitters - is open and well set up. There is a need for more bow shops.

Our shop in Sooke has an outdoor range with a possible distance of 35 yards. Any further and you'd likely be standing on Church Rd.

The Hermit
07-19-2009, 08:35 AM
So is EagleEye in Sooke now set up and running as a bowshop?

Bow Walker
07-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Yup. They've had an "archery department" for a number of months now. The response has been great and the department is (and has been) paying for itsef for quite a while now.