PDA

View Full Version : Rivers West

Whonnock_3
04-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Anyone have any experience with Rivers West clothing...specifically their Eider jacket? Looks good, seems to be on par, from the manufacturer's info, with Brownings XPO...or that's what I'm being lead to believe. Any info would be appreciated.

todbartell
04-15-2008, 07:13 PM
I got Rivers West Trail Pant, I think its awesome. Breathes well, but at the same time is warm and quiet and waterproof so far. Two thumbs up.

Sitkaspruce
04-15-2008, 08:03 PM
RiversWest is much better than Browning. I have owned both and the Browning stuff lasted a season and a half (it was the Hydro-Fleece). I am season 6 with RiverWest Trail Pants and Backcountry Jacket. Tough , quite, waterproof and warm.

I would recommend it to anybody.

SS

ryanb
04-15-2008, 08:12 PM
I got Rivers West Trail Pant, I think its awesome. Breathes well, but at the same time is warm and quiet and waterproof so far. Two thumbs up.

Are they using a new fabric? Because the original rivers west fabric didn't breathe well AT ALL!

It was nice, strong, warm, quiet, waterproof, but breathe IT DID NOT. Perfect for sitting in a stand, terrible for active hunting.

I have a pair of Rivers West pants, but don't wear them when there is a chance of working up a sweat.

Whonnock_3
04-15-2008, 08:17 PM
So far living up to the manufaturer's specs. Kinda nice to hear some real field experience. So how do they fit? Around the same size as you would normally buy...bigger....smaller? I'm not a big guy, 5'11", 160lbs soaking wet with boots on, but a little big in the shoulders.

todbartell
04-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Are they using a new fabric? Because the original rivers west fabric didn't breathe well AT ALL!

I can only speak for the trail pant, as its the only product Ive used of theres.

Rob
04-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Ive looked into there gear as well. I like the coats, but unsure about the magnetic pockets, especially if one is carrying a compass.Rob

BlacktailStalker
04-16-2008, 07:36 AM
Rivers West Jacket doesnt breathe. At all. From what I've found and a few of my buddies.
I sure like Sitka gear though, rant about it all the time.

Sitkaspruce
04-16-2008, 09:49 AM
The stuff is poor at beathability, but what stuff is breathable? If it is breathable, then it is either noisey or is not really waterproof. I have yet to find something that is very quite, breathbale and 100% waterproof.

The Riverwest LAW is much better at early season hunting. It is lighter and breathes a little better. It has zipper vents and these work. For sheep hunting and such, I would not recommend the original, but the LAW might be OK. The original stuff I use for guiding for moose and bear in the fall and for late season, timber hunting big mulies. For me it is the best stuff out there. The only complaint I have is the choice of camo sucks.

I have not tried the Stika stuff yet, but will next year.

It does fit a little big. I am 6', 225 and I wear the large pants and the XL Jacket.

SS

Whonnock_3
04-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Breathability isn't a huge issue, I'm looking for new waterfowl gear. So it's alot of sitting in the beautiful sunny weather we get in the fall/winter in the Fraser Valley.
It's more of the warm and waterproof/resistant factors I'm looking at. Suggestions?
Shane

ryanb
04-18-2008, 07:22 PM
Pretty good at being waterproof and warm, something else to think about though is I don't think they tape the seams and I've had mine leak a couple times at the seams when REALLY soaking.

M70 Classic
04-23-2008, 10:28 PM
A good friend and hunting buddy uses the heavier jacket and pants, and says they are not breathable at all. I bought the jacket because it was waterproof and had pit zips, which will aid in the breathability. Like another poster above stated, the pants are not designed for strenuous hiking. I haven't used the jacket enough to give a really good report on it, but it is pretty windproof.
Regards,
Graham