PDA

View Full Version : Spring grizzly LEH'S

srupp
04-14-2008, 11:47 PM
I have been carefully monitoring the snow levels and access to the coastal and interior areas of the Cariboo for GRIZZLY LEH'S..

The snow levels are still extreme and reminisent of 10-15 years ago and what was "normal" snow falls then...

The coastal areas will still have the above normal snow levels however it will only delay the bears exit from their dens..they WILL still have the south facing slides..near " _______" lake...and with snow so deep those slides will be very important HOWEVER those slides are innaccessable to most but the very skilled and in tremendous physical shape....but soon after hitting those slides the BIG BOYZ WILL hit the lower valleys and those will have the usual access.....

The cariboo mts and those with LEH'S there are going to have a real problem this year...the 5:15 area still has INCREDIBLE levels of snow and dangerous and unstable snow conditions....while this area "may " have unusually GREAT hunting opportunities BECAUSE the high snow levels will limit bears feeding areas early to the SLIDES...HINT HINT HINT!!!!!

But accessing these slides will be very difficult if not impossible..."maybe" last fo the season IF it doesnt warm up significantly...

With the price of diesel @ $1.30 /liter..:shock::shock::shock: it has limited my scouting trips to see the progress of the snow melt ....I will get out again in 7days..to check again..maybe overnite and try using the quad in the wee hours of the am while the snow is still

solid..like the wolves do...

Those with the NORTHERN ZONES would do much better coming in from QUESNEL..RD TO BARKERVILLE then CUNNINHAM PASS RD "A"

Those that have the SOUTHERN ZONE will do MUCH BETTER STAYING AS FAR SOUTH AS THEY CAN ACCESS..BUT STILL LOOKING TO THOSE SOUTHERN ACCESSES.

Cheers

Steven

Mr. Dean
04-15-2008, 09:18 AM
Careful on the machine.... Stiff goin in,,, slop coming out!

Nice report.

srupp
04-15-2008, 11:05 AM
isnt that the truth..

Steven

boonerbuck
04-15-2008, 02:32 PM
Good work Srupp. You are a great asset to BC hunters.

srupp
04-15-2008, 05:51 PM
hmmmm been called worse....lol

Thank You.

Steven

BearSniper
04-15-2008, 06:33 PM
True

My tag in region four won't be used for a while due to snow

-9 celcius at night in the hills with snow each day. The snowpack is actually still increasing

Then comes the avalanche melt season

So I won't be going there until mid to late May:x

boxhitch
04-15-2008, 06:39 PM
With all this cold weather, and the fresh snow, pushing spring melts later and later, and that ice layer underlying it all.....
should make for some interesting creek crossings :0

srupp
04-16-2008, 05:03 AM
it is still below freezing this morning at YAWNNNN 4:30..and light drops of rain..didnt have to go too far out of the VALLEY to hit snow on the side of the rd this "am" and considerable amounts amongst the trees we are talking only 10 miles out of the valley...spring grizzly is STILL a loooooong way off up here..unless we get some warm temps and WINDS..that keep the temp warm overnite...

never even thought of the creek crossings ...ya..lots of water deep fast cold water..lets be careful out there..

UPDATE..It is SNOWING pretty heavily in downtown Willies Puddle..so mountains are getting HAMMERED this AM ....

Steven

BCBairdo
04-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Steven,

Thanks for the update;), keep us posted and will give call in a couple of weeks when we see if the melt is ever going to start. Always appreciate all you do for the guys on this site.

Cheers,

Ian

srupp
04-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Hi Ian..will call you this weekend..just in from Mommys house in Kelowna..:tongue: such a good son...

snowing in hills even today..
Steven