PDA

View Full Version : turkey tips

trigger
04-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Hey everyone,

I just made plans with my dad to head to the cranbrook area for a few days in search of a turkey. i have a causin there that owns some land and he says there are always turkeys around. I think like most animals/birds come opening day they get a little spooked. Im looking for some advice as to hunting tactics , size of shot, calls and maybe some general direction as to where would be the best. This will be our first turkey hunt. we will be heading down for the last week of april. From what im hearing, there is still quite a bit of snow so things might not work out to good for us but im still looking forward to spending time in the bush with the paaps. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

finish
04-14-2008, 08:35 PM
If he's got a bit of farmland, you'll likely see turkeys, we had some really warm weather this past weekend so the snow is going.
As far as shot, I'm using a semi auto .22 with a scope.....Turkey Sniper!!

mark
04-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Use camo, hide really good, get a hen call they are easy to use. Shoot em in the head, they are tough birds! Go on youtube and search turkey hunting for a little training program!

huntinnut
04-15-2008, 05:09 PM
I'd recommend trying to find their roosting trees. At least around here they tend to use the same roosts every night. They usually fly into their roost about 45mins before dark, and once they do, become very vocal. Go hiking along the timber edges above where they have been seen feeding and try to locate them. You can use your hen call or a goose call and the Toms will answer over and over. This gives a great starting place for the next morning, but you have to be at least a 20mins before daylight and wait for them to come down about 20-30mins after daylight.

300H&H
04-15-2008, 07:17 PM
"At least around here they tend to use the same roosts every night. "

Ok give it up. Where is "AROUND HERE". You have not put your home city on your profile.

huntinnut
04-16-2008, 05:52 AM
Creston Valley

finish
04-16-2008, 07:17 AM
Was out last night for a drive about, didn't see any turkeys. Thursday will hopfully be the day!! Boyd050 and I are going out for a snipe-fest!! Bring your camera for sure, there is a TON of deer running around, and the odd Bull Elk with headgear still intact!! Saw a nice 5 point last night...but, no camera :(

boyd050
04-16-2008, 08:05 PM
here turkey turkey turkey.......!! no not you finish.... the bird.... yuk yuk!!!:tongue: thursday after work!!!

finish
04-16-2008, 08:49 PM
OHHHH YAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! Bring EmOn!!!