PDA

View Full Version : LEH....another question?

MDG3
04-12-2008, 02:24 PM
Hi all,

New hunter here,.... about LEH, is there one for first time hunters or is it a line fed to me by a co-worker?
:frown::-(

Last year's LEH regs, I did not read anything about it on the website's synophsis (.pdf format).

3kills
04-12-2008, 02:40 PM
there is usually a draw or two thats for new hunters all depending on when u got ur hunters number...

MDG3
04-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Thanks 3kills.

Maybe I'll ask at where they sell them (i.e. gun shops not canadian tire/walmart) to see if they have more info; like odds or chances of getting picked.

Thanks again.

Dannybuoy
04-12-2008, 04:49 PM
They will just be able to tell you what last years odds were as the odds of getting a draw are dependant on how many people put in for that particular draw .

Steeleco
04-12-2008, 05:12 PM
OKANAGAN REGION 8
The following hunts are open ONLY to NEW hunters in British Columbia. To qualify for these hunts,
applicants must have been ISSUED their initial RESIDENT HUNTER NUMBER on or after June 1, 2006.
8043 Okanagan 8-01 Oct. 1-Nov. 15 Antlerless only 25 0.8:1
8044 Okanagan 8-08 Oct. 1-Nov. 15 Antlerless only 10 1.3:1
8045 Okanagan 8-09 Oct. 1-Nov. 15 Antlerless only 20 0.9:1
8046 Okanagan 8-10 Oct. 1-Nov. 15 Antlerless only 30 0.9:1
8047 Kettle 8-12 Oct. 1-Nov. 20 Antlerless only 50 1.4:1
8048 Kettle 8-14 Oct. 1-Nov. 20 Antlerless only 50 1.3:1
8049 Kettle 8-15 Oct. 1-Nov. 20 Antlerless only 30 0.6:1
8050 Shuswap 8-23 Oct. 1-Nov. 20 Antlerless only 16 1.9:1I took this from last years online book, there are new hunter tags available but you really have to read the book to see what your allowed and where it is. When did you get your #?

MDG3
04-12-2008, 05:29 PM
I took this from last years online book, there are new hunter tags available but you really have to read the book to see what your allowed and where it is. When did you get your #?

Thanks Steeleco,

My hunter number card "Should be in the mail" I hope!!!!!

hunter1947
04-13-2008, 05:26 AM
I have never heard of any new hunter being given an LEH tag for any animal species. You can apply for all LEH species that are in the LEH regs as for new hunters there might be some LEH draws that you can apply for ???.

3kills
04-13-2008, 10:15 AM
hunter1947 there some that they can apply for but i m pretty sure its just whitetail draw in 8 and maybe another draw or two...odds are usually pretty good too

MDG3
04-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the quick replys from all. I hope to increase my chances this first year of hunting. I'll be relying on this forum for some important info in the very near future.

Again, thank you for your imput. 8-) :cool:

MichelD
04-13-2008, 11:10 AM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/leh.html#Synopsis

kgs
04-13-2008, 11:45 AM
I never heard of a new hunter leh?? I think thats BS and not fair to the rest of us. I do not want to sound rude but this is exactly whats wrong with the leh system. We all pay for each entry and we all should have a equal chance. Now I should mention that I do like leh hunts for youths because its a great way to get young hunters excited about hunting.

hunter1947
04-14-2008, 04:12 AM
What I am trying to say is that no new hunter can just go get an application form of some sort and fill it in and be able to go shoot any species of animal they apply for it would not be fair to all other hunters ,I can see them being given a lottery deer draw but not a sheep or elk etc. A deer draw given to a new hunter in my books if this is the case is a good idea ,helps get the up coming hunters into hunting.

islandboy
04-14-2008, 06:44 AM
I never heard of a new hunter leh?? I think thats BS and not fair to the rest of us. I do not want to sound rude but this is exactly whats wrong with the leh system. We all pay for each entry and we all should have a equal chance. Now I should mention that I do like leh hunts for youths because its a great way to get young hunters excited about hunting.

I am in agreement. LEH should be equal to all hunters. It IS a management tool and due to the limits imposed I would think it would be critical that the hunter be experianced.

mainland hunter
04-14-2008, 08:57 AM
My girlfriend got the new hunter draw last year. It's a great tool for getting new people involved in hunting and hooked on hunting. It gives a new hunter a chance to be successfull early in their hunting career and is a great idea. I believe its only for a few doe draws in region 8 and it's kind of sad if that's gonna upset people who have hunted for years. For her she got her doe and is hooked. She was opposed to hunting and now is bugging me to come on all my hunts.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-14-2008, 09:24 AM
My girlfriend got the new hunter draw last year. It's a great tool for getting new people involved in hunting and hooked on hunting. It gives a new hunter a chance to be successfull early in their hunting career and is a great idea. I believe its only for a few doe draws in region 8 and it's kind of sad if that's gonna upset people who have hunted for years. For her she got her doe and is hooked. She was opposed to hunting and now is bugging me to come on all my hunts.

That's what it's all about!!!!:cool:

It's a handfull of draws.

SSS

Gateholio
04-14-2008, 09:40 AM

That's what is supposed ot happen..

It's not like these draws are for bison, elk, or sheep.

If it helps encourage just a few new hunters, it's a great idea. :razz:

Phoneguy
04-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Me and a couple of buddies got a LEH draw that was only open to first year hunters in 8-08 for whitetail does last year. Odds were something like 1.25 :1

KevinB
04-14-2008, 11:08 AM
That's what is supposed ot happen..

It's not like these draws are for bison, elk, or sheep.

If it helps encourage just a few new hunters, it's a great idea. :razz:

X2.

My girlfriend also got her first deer on a Region 8 antlerless whitetail draw a few years ago. The odds ended up being close to 1:1 for that hunt.

I think it is sad that there are experienced hunters who would begrudge a few antlerless deer going to new hunters. Are you also opposed to extra opportunities for youth? or seniors? You are of course entitled to your opinion but I really don't understand it. I'd love to hear an explanation or some reasoning behind it so that I could understand where you are coming from.

kenkell1
04-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Personally I also like that LEH draw. It is a great chance to get a new hunter out there and like gold fever....it will only take one kill to get the hunt in their blood and want to go again.

Dannybuoy
04-14-2008, 12:34 PM
Thats a pretty small window of new hunters to qualify for the new hunter draws anyway ..... the LEH have to be in by mid June so from June 1 - June 14 ?

bighornbob
04-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Thats a pretty small window of new hunters to qualify for the new hunter draws anyway ..... the LEH have to be in by mid June so from June 1 - June 14 ?

Those were the 2007 regs so from June 1 2006 that is a full year.

So for this year it will be basically anyone that got their new number from June 1 2007 until the LEH draw this year.

BHB

MDG3
04-16-2008, 05:38 PM
Those were the 2007 regs so from June 1 2006 that is a full year.

So for this year it will be basically anyone that got their new number from June 1 2007 until the LEH draw this year.

BHB

So to clarify, if I get my # after June 1/2008, I'm good to go for a "NEW HUNTER" LEH for region 8 antlerless whitetail, right?

BTW, I received my endorsement from BCWF today and all I have to do is go to a government office to get my hunter's #.

BUT, if I got it now, will I forfeit my chance for a new hunter draw?

Thanks for all your comments and replies.:smile:

mainland hunter
04-16-2008, 09:56 PM
I think its after june 1 2007 you should be good for the 08 draw

MDG3
04-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Seriously, it basically amounts to a freebie (anterless deer only) for a new hunter to assure a high probability of success. Which in turn encourages continued involvement as a hunter and recruiter of new hunters. I think its an excellent program and in line with recommendations to bolster hunter numbers which are equally important as a management tool as are the LEH draws.

Excellently put, Midnight. That's how I see it and how I plan to use it for, not like how some have suggested it was fair for some and not fair for the rest. :-?:-?

Next year I'll be among all others and be in the lottery as well sooooo......:wink::wink:

MDG3
04-19-2008, 08:19 AM
BUT, if I got my hunter number now, will I forfeit my chance for a new hunter draw this year?

Big Daddy Ryan
04-19-2008, 08:32 AM
BUT, if I got my hunter number now, will I forfeit my chance for a new hunter draw this year?

No, as long as you get the number after June 1 2007 (which you will)you will qualify as a new hunter for the 2008 New hunter draws.

MDG3
04-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Ok, so June 1/07 to May 31/08 will qualify for this years LEH.

I get it now, thanks to all. I better get my # ASSAP. :-):D