PDA

View Full Version : Questions about hunting Fraser Valley/Chilliwack Area

joey_halen2000
04-12-2008, 04:59 AM
Hey guys,

Well first off the names Joe and I'm new to this site and very new to hunting as well. I'm living in Halifax, NS right now, but was born and raised in Chilliwack, BC. I've been here in Halifax since Aug 2007 and am planning my move back to BC in August of 2008. I just got my PAL and Nova Scotia Hunting License this year, and have never hunted before in my life except for a few bunnies here in Halifax.
I'm going to be looking to hunt this season in BC once I arrive home and have a lot of questions for some of the experienced guys on here that may live in or around Chilliwack/Fraser Valley.

1. Will I have to take C.O.R.E. even though I have the Nova Scotia equivalent to this course. Here it's called Hunter Education course (Wildlife Resources Card) and covers topics such as conservation, species ID, first-aid, safety, etc. ?

2. Here in Nova Scotia there seems to be majority white-tailed deer and from what i've been reading it's more mule deer in BC. What is the difference between the two ? is there any difference in the meat ? is one better than the other ?

3. I'm primarily only interested in hunting for meat and not really at all for trophy's. Deer and Moose will be my main focus plus rabbits, and birds. (I'm a little paranoid about eating Bear meat, but maybe I can be convinced to try it). I have never in my life seen a moose in Chilliwack or anywhere that i've been in the Fraser Valley but seen many closer to Alberta when driving. Where do guys generally get moose in BC ? and where would be a good area to check out close to the Fraser Valley for moose ? as well deer too I guess ? and what are the limits/laws regarding hunting moose and deer. Do you need to have your name drawn for a moose like here in Nova Scotia ? I've seen a lot of deer up towards Chilliwack lake down by all those prison camps. Anyone hunt deer there ? or have any better places to search ?

4. Any general advice or info is definately appreciated. I grew up in a family that does not hunt at all and don't really know many hunters, so I'm trying to take this on as a hobby and learn what I can all by myself. I know some of this probably sounds like dumb questions, but like I said I was not raised in a hunting family and this is my first year trying to get into hunting as a hobby.

Thanks in advance for any help and replies.

joey_halen2000
04-12-2008, 02:31 PM
44 views and not one single reply ?

Gateholio
04-12-2008, 02:39 PM
I am pretty sure your NS licence is transferable...Take it to a Government Agent in BC.

There is no season for moose in Region 2. Lower Mainland. Go north....

gearjunkierob
04-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Welcome to the site, Joe. I think you'll find hunting the Fraser Valley area can be very challanging, but quite rewarding. I'm fairly new to hunting as well, and put in over 20 days last fall (not a lot compared to many, I'm sure) and wasn't able to connect with a single buck in the Fraser Valley. I was able to find one not too far away, though!

I think most folks find deer hunting in the Valley can be tough due to the steep terrain, tight bush and noisy walking. Alpine hunts are possible, but be prepared to work hard to get there, and that's the easy part!

As for Moose, no, there are not any open seasons in the FV. Check the BC Hunting Regs, where you can find the answers to most of your questions. Here is a link: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/

You might also want to have a look at the BC Wildlife Act: http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/stat/W/96488_01.htm

I am not sure if you would be required to take CORE or not - you could always just challenge the exam if you need it. I'd highly recommend picking up (and reading) a copy of the CORE manual regardless, I think you will find it has a lot of good info on hunting in BC.

Hope this helps out. Gatehouse had a great suggestion about taking to a government agent regarding your license.

MDG3
04-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Hey guys,

Well first off the names Joe and I'm new to this site and very new to hunting as well.

Hello Joe and welcome to the community.

I just got my PAL and Nova Scotia Hunting License this year,

1. Will I have to take C.O.R.E. even though I have the Nova Scotia equivalent to this course. Here it's called Hunter Education course (Wildlife Resources Card) and covers topics such as conservation, species ID, first-aid, safety, etc. ? NO. I finished my core and had a fellow student who had Alberta's equivalent to what you have and was told by the instructors

"what are you doing here then?" and he said Oh well!!!!

2. Here in Nova Scotia there seems to be majority white-tailed deer and from what i've been reading it's more mule deer in BC. What is the difference between the two ? Mule=bigger,darker coloured hide, big FORKED antlers
is there any difference in the meat ? Whitetail= said to taste like "sweet Georgina's peaches (better):lol:
is one better than the other ? ????

3. I'm primarily only interested in hunting for meat and not really at all for trophy's. Deer and Moose will be my main focus plus rabbits, and birds. (I'm a little paranoid about eating Bear meat, but maybe I can be convinced to try it). I have never in my life seen a moose in Chilliwack or anywhere that i've been in the Fraser Valley but seen many closer to Alberta when driving. Where do guys generally get moose in BC ? Northerly
and where would be a good area to check out close to the Fraser Valley for moose ? WAY, WAY Northerly

as well deer too I guess ? and what are the limits/laws regarding hunting moose and deer. Do you need to have your name drawn for a moose like here in Nova Scotia ? LEH, I guess. I've seen a lot of deer up towards Chilliwack lake down by all those prison camps. Anyone hunt deer there ? I think in FV you have to buy another permit to hunt there. (FVSP)or have any better places to search ?

4. Any general advice or info is definately appreciated. I grew up in a family that does not hunt at all and don't really know many hunters, so I'm trying to take this on as a hobby and learn what I can all by myself. I know some of this probably sounds like dumb questions, but like I said I was not raised in a hunting family and this is my first year trying to get into hunting as a hobby. Never a dumb question here. The only dumb question is "should I ask or shouldn't I? IMHO.

Thanks in advance for any help and replies. Your welcome.
Your welcome. ;)

Wolfman
04-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Hey Joe.

Welcome to Hunting BC; the best hunting forum on the planet, as far as I'm concerned.

The guys/gals on this site are just awesome and I think you will find after taking about a month or two to go through all the posts (grin) you can find just about any answer to just about any hunting related question.

You won't find any open hunting for anything like Moose in the LML/FV - have to go further north for that kinda adventure ;-)

Like yourself, I've hunted mostly small game. I find that Living in the Lower Mainland can be a bit of a challenge when it comes to the resources and determination one needs to just get outta town and git 'r' done ;-)

But it can and * is * done by a lot of guys.

Again, welcome to the club ;-)

Mike

AKA Wolfman

Hey guys,

Well first off the names Joe and I'm new to this site and very new to hunting as well. I'm living in Halifax, NS right now, but was born and raised in Chilliwack, BC. I've been here in Halifax since Aug 2007 and am planning my move back to BC in August of 2008. I just got my PAL and Nova Scotia Hunting License this year, and have never hunted before in my life except for a few bunnies here in Halifax.
I'm going to be looking to hunt this season in BC once I arrive home and have a lot of questions for some of the experienced guys on here that may live in or around Chilliwack/Fraser Valley.

1. Will I have to take C.O.R.E. even though I have the Nova Scotia equivalent to this course. Here it's called Hunter Education course (Wildlife Resources Card) and covers topics such as conservation, species ID, first-aid, safety, etc. ?

2. Here in Nova Scotia there seems to be majority white-tailed deer and from what i've been reading it's more mule deer in BC. What is the difference between the two ? is there any difference in the meat ? is one better than the other ?

3. I'm primarily only interested in hunting for meat and not really at all for trophy's. Deer and Moose will be my main focus plus rabbits, and birds. (I'm a little paranoid about eating Bear meat, but maybe I can be convinced to try it). I have never in my life seen a moose in Chilliwack or anywhere that i've been in the Fraser Valley but seen many closer to Alberta when driving. Where do guys generally get moose in BC ? and where would be a good area to check out close to the Fraser Valley for moose ? as well deer too I guess ? and what are the limits/laws regarding hunting moose and deer. Do you need to have your name drawn for a moose like here in Nova Scotia ? I've seen a lot of deer up towards Chilliwack lake down by all those prison camps. Anyone hunt deer there ? or have any better places to search ?

4. Any general advice or info is definately appreciated. I grew up in a family that does not hunt at all and don't really know many hunters, so I'm trying to take this on as a hobby and learn what I can all by myself. I know some of this probably sounds like dumb questions, but like I said I was not raised in a hunting family and this is my first year trying to get into hunting as a hobby.

Thanks in advance for any help and replies.

brian
04-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Hey welcome to the site Joe.

I'm not an experienced hunter either, but here we go.

In the Fraser valley you'll generally be seeing Blacktails. They're smaller than Mulies. They're kind of like a mix between Whitetails and Mulies just more cagey and less patternable than Whitetails. They seem to like thick brush and are pretty wiley. Lapadat and Blacktailstalker have both given me some awesome tips on hunting them so if you see them around, they know their stuff. The mulies are more numerous as you get into the interior, with a good degree of overlap in theirs and the Blacktails territories. Blacktails and Mulies are covered by one species license here so with them, as long as the antlers are forked... you're covered. White tails are a separate license and can be found in the interior as well.

Last season I did a bit of scouting down the canyon you are talking about. It has a lot of steep terrain and dense brush. There are also some tricky no shooting areas or shooting using shot only areas you have to be careful of around there too. I don't know if I would hunt it this year, but maybe further on down the road, around Chilliwack lake there might be more promising hunting grounds for us noobs. I would highly recommend getting a backroads map book. It'll help you out tons in finding decent spots, and letting you know where the gates are.

To hunt in the Fraser valley you will also need a Fraser valley special hunting permit. It only costs about 10$ extra and you need proof of liability insurance. You'll also need a hunter number in order to buy species licenses. I don't know if your current license is transferable.

Jelvis
04-12-2008, 05:27 PM
The Fraser valley around Abbotsford sumas flats and east up the Fraser Valley has excellent northern mallards, and other waterfowl, grouse in the hills, pheasant, woodcock, blacktail deer in the fraser valley mountains and islands on the mighty Fraser River. Waterfowl, grouse, blacktail deer as well as black bear and cougar. From Matsqui to Hope has good deer hunting in the chains of hills and mountains as well as rocky mountain goat. Pheasant grouse woodcock ducks and lesser canada geese. The fishing is fantastic too for everything you could ask for and more, Ducks and geese on the Fraser river islands can provide all day fun and comradery with hunting partners also. Good luck in your future choices and you're making a great choice to see and live in B.C. Jelsayshello

brian
04-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Oh PS blacktails are known as "the grey ghost of the west coast" for a damn good reason. Many hunters consider them one of the most challenging deer to hunt. One look at the terrain they like and you'll see why.

Dad and son
04-12-2008, 09:14 PM
You have asked a lot of questions. My suggestion to you when you are here is this. Find out about getting a BC Hunter number. I guess the Government agent is the spot to go but I am not sure. Second I suggest you post on here saying you are a new hunter and would like someone to take you out. Others have done that and several experienced hunters have volunteered to take them out. I think learning to hunt and where to hunt is easiest done in the field not the classroom. There are lots of deer, bear and moose in BC so you should not have a problem finding animals.

sparkes3
04-12-2008, 10:33 PM
bring your hunter number from n.s go to gov agent and they will transfer it into a bc hunter number for you no hassels at all .then go get your hunting licenses and hunt till you drop

TimberPig
04-13-2008, 07:35 AM
This link to the BC hunting regulations will be invaluable for you.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/

In it you will find the requirements for obtaining your resident hunter number, which is normally the BC CORE course. In your case, your Nova Scotia course will replace this, as any accredited course in North America taken in recent years is considered the equivalent.

For moose, you will have to head north or east. The best moose hunting is found as far north as you are willing to travel. The nearest moose hunting to the lower mainland is in region 3 for immature bulls only. Some areas of the province require that tags be drawn through the LEH process, but this is drawn in June, before you will have moved here, let alone in possession of a BC hunter number.

Unfortunately for you, given the timing of your move, you will not likely be able to obtain your BC resident hunter number for the 2008 season. A BC residenty is defined as:

BC Resident - means a person who is a
Canadian citizen or permanent resident of
Canada, and whose only or primary residence
is in British Columbia and who has
been physically present in BC for the greater
portion of each of 6 calendar months out of
the 12 calendar months immediately before
doing a thing under the Wildlife Act, or if not a
Canadian citizen or permanent resident of
Canada, has been physically present in BC for
the greater portion of each of the 12
calendar months immediately before doing a
thing under the Wildlife Act.

This means you will not likely be eligible until mid winter of 2009 for a BC resident hunter number. To hunt moose, deer or any other big game animal in BC you will need to hunt as a non-resident, which includes higher license fees and the requirement to use the services of a guide/permit to accompany for any big game hunts. Non residents can however hunt small game and game birds with out requiring a guide or hunter host.

Jelvis
04-13-2008, 09:47 PM
joey van halen don't get too bummed out if you can't carry a rifle and go hunting right away when you start making residence in beautiful British Columbia. I don't know all the rules but lots of good info here by the hunters who know. I was going to say go along with another hunter and leave the guns at home for the first season if you can't get it right away and see the bush and enjoy the area. Then when you get your license you can know a spot or two. Good luck joey. Jelvis

joey_halen2000
04-14-2008, 02:44 AM
Thanks for all the info guys....Keep it coming. I'm hoping that maybe since I was born and raised in beautiful british columbia that maybe there will be some sort of clause that I don't have to do six months there to be considered a resident again. I ventured off to Halifax just last August and it's just not home. It's beautiful in it's own sense, but BC will always be home to me. The mountains, the lakes, the skiing, and everything else outdoors just can't be matched in BC. I've called the government agent in BC and now I'm just waiting for a call back to find out exactly what I'll be able to hunt and do when I get home. When I came to Nova Scotia and took the firearms safety course and the hunter education course, nobody even asked me how long I'd been living here and I was granted my PAL and Hunting license with no problems at all. Wish me luck.

Also what is the difference between the white tail deer that I see here and the deer in BC. Does one taste better than the other or are they all pretty good eats ? That's something I've been wondering about. And what would be a good rifle choice that could be multi purpose for deer and moose. I was thinking of getting a .308. What do you guys think of that gun for both. Is it too much for a deer ? or not enough for a moose ?

Jelvis
04-14-2008, 06:11 AM
The Fraser Valley has black tail deer which are good eating and fun to hunt a real challenge sometimes. Mule deer has a little coarser grained meat then a whitetail but pretty close the same for deer meat. Mule deer and white tail deer are plentiful in B.C.. For an all round deer, moose, bear rifle I'd take the .30-06 but the trusty little .308 is good for deer and if your close enough for moose and bear too. If you don't like kick too much those calibers are good. Keep on keeping on Joey good luck whatever happens, Jelly

Tarp Man
04-14-2008, 08:55 AM
Joey, I just typed out a long little schpeele. and promptly lost it. Try doing a search on the <Mainland BC> section on Fraser Valley Blacktail and Alpine Blacktail. Should provide a nice read and lots of info. I will warn you, the steep and thick stuff is where you will find the blacktail. If it is pouring rain, all the better.

Tarp Man
04-14-2008, 08:58 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=16758&highlight=Fraser+Valley+Blacktail

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15274&highlight=alpine+blacktail

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15244&highlight=alpine+blacktail

Jelvis
04-15-2008, 01:15 PM
If your around Chilliwack in the Fraser Valley then you are in a excellent area to hunt around. Go up the Chilliwack River for good black tail deer. Drive up passed the lake called Chilliwack and hunt Depot Creek Area it's no secret to the locals anymore you heard it here Joey, Jellbean

kaptkannon
04-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Joey, there is no problem transferring your NS hunter number to BC. I transferred my Manitoba, to BC and to NS. Here is some info on how to get your BC Hunters Number.

A B.C. resident may only have and use one hunter number. Under no circumstances may a person have more than one hunter number, as this violates the Wildlife Act (http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/W/Wildlife/8_99.htm#section11) regulations (http://www.qp.gov.bc.ca/statreg/reg/W/Wildlife/8_99.htm#section11).
A Hunter Number Card may be obtained on condition that the residency requirement is met, and following successful completion of Conservation Outdoor Recreation Education (CORE) (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/education.html) safety training examination (or provides proof of previous hunter safety training). You can submit an application for a Hunter Number Card (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/docs/hunter_number_application.pdf) ( 30 kb PDF ) at the Government Agent Office (http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/lvs/) in your area. PLEASE bring photo identification with you.

The rest I cannot really answer as I have had Whitetail but have yet to get a Mule or Blacktail.

As for info on hunting - keep reading the posts here in this forum. Around here, someone is always willing to give advice.