PDA

View Full Version : Bushnell vs Burris

tikkat3
04-10-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm getting some new bino's this year, and I'm not spending a mint on em. I am right now comparing the bushnell excursion 10x42 or the burris fullfield 2 camo 10x42 binos. The burris are a bit smaller, and a bit more cash.

I have only used el cheapo binos before so I am getting into this tentatively...

which ones would you get?

also, do you prefer 8 power or 10 power binos?

todbartell
04-10-2008, 11:02 PM
get the Excursion EX, way better than the regular Excursions for only $30 more. 1/4 lighter, locking focus, and nicer feel. Hard to go wrong with those in either 8 or 10 for the $, personally I think I'd get the 10x

happygilmore
04-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Have a pair of burris ff2 8X, good optics but flimsy eye cups. lost one rubber eye cup (still useable) then broke plastic around eye cup making it sharp. I've considered going with the excursions.

Bow Walker
04-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Don't know where you're located (why not fill out your "Profile"?) but do yourself a favor before you lay down your hard earned cash - check out the Vortex line of optics. If there is a Bird Watching type store in your locale then go in and see them. They usually handle Vortex.

I've recommended them to a couple of people who tested them and then bought them. None are unhappy.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/

brotherjack
04-11-2008, 03:31 PM
I'd buy the Bushnell over the Burris, strictly based on the rather annoying experience a friend of mine just had with Burris's warranty department.

He sent in his older Fullfield 2-7 scope for service. Pretty shortly thereafter, he got a letter giving him a big long song and dance about how they couldn't get parts for his old ancient scope anymore (Fullfields are ancient already? Really?), and even if they did find a source for the parts (and Burris's factory/repair center would be ordering parts for their own scopes from.... where exactly?), it would probably take them 6 months to a year before he got his scope back and on and on like that. Along with that letter, was a nice little brochure explaining that if he was willing to give up his old scope, he could (at a discount - but still high enough I don't think Burris would loose a penny on the deal) purchase a brand new Burris scope so he wouldn't have to wait all that time to get his back (assuming that they might, someday, maybe, get parts for it - the sob story went).

As he had a spare scope and was in no hurry, he told em to fix the scope and he don't care how long it takes. Surprise, surprise - he got his scope back (fixed) about 2 weeks later. Apparently, it was all a sales routine to try and get out of having to do the warranty work (and presumably move some more product at the same time).

My buddy wasn't impressed with any of that, to say the least. (though the scope is back, and fixed - and it is a decent little scope).

brotherjack
04-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Side note - I've not seen any Vortex'es, so by all means, have a look at some - but having done side-by-side comparisons of a whole pile of stuff when I used to work in a sporting goods store, my subjective judgment says that a $350 set of Nikon Monarch's in 8x42 are the clearest/nicest thing you can lay hands on short of Swarovski/Ziess and/or some other high end stuff that costs more than twice as much.

tikkat3
04-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Ok, I got some bushnell Infinity 8.5x45 binos at Wholesale sports for 389 before tax. I really like them. you can adjust each eye independently, which is cool. They really bring in the light well and feel well made. I went back and forth between them and leupold green ring binos, all in the sub 500 range. The guy at the shop told me to stay away from burris as well.

I don't know much about this subject, but I am lightyears ahead of what I was recently using and can't wait to do some scouting!