PDA

View Full Version : Live capturing beaver in Vancouver

MichelD
04-10-2008, 10:37 AM
I had a beaver in my pond this morning.

That might not seem so unusual except that I live near Hastings and Victoria in East Vancouver.

My neighbour called at 7:10 this morning and said bluntly:

"There's a beaver in Deb's front yard, now he's going around the back."

That house is one house away from mine.

I ran outside to look and my cat, a fearless 8-month old was there herding the beaver onto the sidewalk.

It walked right up to me than went between my house and the neighbour's.

A bunch of us got together and guided it into my back yard where I have a pond.

I called the SPCC and when she go there I loaned the beaver catcher a set of waders, put on my Cabela’s ™ Max4 camo waders and we waded in the pond until she got a noose on it and guided it into a box.

CBC TV was here. It might be on the noon or evening news.

rishu_pepper
04-10-2008, 10:45 AM
I wonder what they will do with the lost little guy.

Didn't someone mention beaver tails taste like pork rinds? :lol:

islandstalker
04-10-2008, 10:47 AM
wonder how there gonna spin that one. "hunter uses 8month old kitten to hunt rare spirit beaver" lol

kaptkannon
04-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Beaver tail is good in soup too. Beaver herding does make for interesting converstion around the water cooler though.

lip_ripper00
04-10-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm sure they will blame the sky train for more Surrey homeless checking out vancouverites back yards:roll:

Elkhound
04-10-2008, 11:28 AM
wonder how there gonna spin that one. "hunter uses 8month old kitten to hunt rare spirit beaver" lol

MD will be arrested for baiting a beaver:biggrin:

04-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Before I got married I use to live capture beaver whenever I had the chance.

islandhunter
04-10-2008, 12:32 PM
the good old days of catch and release?????

Sideofabarn
04-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Please no one ask about how beaver tastes...

boxhitch
04-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Really ? CBC was there ? Things must be slow in the newsroom if wildlife gets that attention.

MichelD
04-10-2008, 04:19 PM
No kidding.

There was a short item on the TV news at mid day and they even called me for a radio interview at 12:20.

It was one of my neighbours who called them, not me.

newhunterette
04-10-2008, 04:23 PM
I will not even comment on the beaver catching :wink::wink::roll::wink:hehhehehehhehe

Tank
04-10-2008, 06:00 PM
I will not even comment on the beaver catching :wink::roll::wink:hehhehehehhehe

I was waiting for inevitable beaver joke.....:roll:.

bsa30-06
04-10-2008, 06:12 PM
I just saw a clip of that on the news, it'll be on later.Silly you, you should have kept it i'm sure rishu pepper could have provided a great recipe.

rishu_pepper
04-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Before I got married I use to live capture beaver whenever I had the chance.

Please no one ask about how beaver tastes...

I will not even comment on the beaver catching :wink::wink::roll::wink:hehhehehehhehe

I just saw a clip of that on the news, it'll be on later.Silly you, you should have kept it i'm sure rishu pepper could have provided a great recipe.

I had to look up urban dictionary to find out just what in the hell you guys were talking about. At first I was like, "what's the joke.." That's another dirty word I wish I hadn't learnt..

Beaver-kebab sounds like a tasty dish. What think you?

Johnny G1
04-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Beaver taste, yum yum

hunter1947
04-11-2008, 03:08 AM
I saw the news last night and if it is the same beaver you had in your back yard pond ,they said it might have got there on a logging truck ???

sawmill
04-11-2008, 05:52 AM
I saw the news last night and if it is the same beaver you had in your back yard pond ,they said it might have got there on a logging truck ???
WHAT?????? :eek:Now thats about the stupidest thing I`ve heard in a while.

Deerwhacker
04-11-2008, 06:02 AM
I know as soon as I herd the logging truck thing i said to my dad that was the dumbest thing i ever herd . theres beavers in ditches and waterways including the fraser throughout the lower mainland .

boxhitch
04-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Hahaha a beaver on a logging truck
Jumped a fast food lineup ?

hunter1947
04-11-2008, 07:53 AM
WHAT?????? :eek:Now thats about the stupidest thing I`ve heard in a while.
LOL ,:lol: :lol: :lol:.

Dirty
04-11-2008, 08:37 AM
I saw the clip on the news last night it came and went so fast I didn't get a chance to see what was going on?

newhunterette
04-11-2008, 08:47 AM

Here ya go Lloyd, just for your dining pleasure

Roast Beaver
1 md Beaver, about 8 lbs
1/2 c Vinegar
1 tb Salt
2 ts Soda
1 md Onion; sliced
4 Strips bacon or salt pork
1/2 ts Salt
1/4 ts Pepper

Wash beaver thoroughly with salt water then let soak overnight in enough cold water to cover. Add 1/2 cup vinegar and 1 tb salt to the water.
The next day, remove the beaver from the brine, wash and cover with a solution of 2 ts soda to 2 quarts water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Drain, then place beaver in roasting pan. Cover with sliced onions and bacon; season with salt and pepper. Place lid on roaster and bake at 375 until tender. Serve with a tart jelly.

Sideofabarn
04-11-2008, 08:50 AM
Rishu, with that comment about beaver kebab, you're really not helping...

rishu_pepper
04-11-2008, 08:54 AM

Roast Beaver
1 md Beaver, about 8 lbs
1/2 c Vinegar
1 tb Salt
2 ts Soda
1 md Onion; sliced
1/2 ts Salt
1/4 ts Pepper

Wash beaver thoroughly with salt water then let soak overnight in enough cold water to cover. Add 1/2 cup vinegar and 1 tb salt to the water.
The next day, remove the beaver from the brine, wash and cover with a solution of 2 ts soda to 2 quarts water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Drain, then place beaver in roasting pan. Cover with sliced onions and bacon; season with salt and pepper. Place lid on roaster and bake at 375 until tender. Serve with a tart jelly.

One of a few recipes that doesn't end with "throw the ____ away and eat the plank/rock/etc." Thanks Ali :D

Rishu, with that comment about beaver kebab, you're really not helping...

I swear that wasn't in my mind :cool::eek:

MichelD
04-11-2008, 09:45 AM
No one suggested to me where it could have come from.

I live about 2 km from Trout Lake and they do have beavers show up there once in a while. I guess he walked.

This guy was pretty dry for a beaver, so he'd been out of the water for a while.

bsa30-06
04-11-2008, 01:00 PM

Roast Beaver
1 md Beaver, about 8 lbs
1/2 c Vinegar
1 tb Salt
2 ts Soda
1 md Onion; sliced
1/2 ts Salt
1/4 ts Pepper

wonder if its too late to get the beaver back......sounds good.

DWH
04-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Beavers exist throughout a number of waterways in the Lower Mainland. They move through the creeks and streams, up and down the Fraser and all along the coast, yes in saltwater too. This beaver likely wandered up from the chuck looking for a new home, it did not however catch a ride on a logging truck - what a bunch of crap:!:.

Beavers form tight-knit families and when the younger ones get to a certain age (maturity) they leave (or are kindly asked to leave:wink:) to find there own stretch of water to build a lodge, find a mate and start a family of their own.

I was involved with beaver "management" for years down here and they are really everywhere (from UBC to Aldergrove) and the municipalities have a tough time keeping up with them.

mrdoog
04-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Don't flush them down the toilet or they will live in the sewers.