PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with this deer???

willyqbc
04-10-2008, 12:18 AM
So I'm out in my shop a couple days ago and this deer comes walking up my driveway so i go out to have a better look, rather than running, when he sees me he comes right up to me and buts his head into my leg to get me to pet him. I talked to some neighbours down the way and i guess the history on the little guy is that he was orphaned as a fawn (last fall) and just started showing up a peoples houses looking for attention. Everyone says they have not been feeding him yet he keeps coming back to get his head scratched and as you can see in this video he is also looking for someone to play with
http://www.realoutdoorproductions.com/2008vids/PetDeer08/petdeer08.html

now when I was scratching his head i noticed something odd, he had 1" spikes but they were not in velvet. Again talking to the neighbour he said he noticed that the deer had spikes 4 months ago. Anyone know why his antlers would not be in velvet right now?? This deer is right around 1 year old.

Chris

Chuck
04-10-2008, 12:34 AM
Poor thing has had a misadventure. Thinks it's human and has even skipped a step with its normal biological growth. We had some neighbors once who fed their cat marijuana regularly in its food. That cat was a total space cadet with the way it acted. Couldn't trust it to behave normal too! It did strange things at times. Who knows what goes on.

Eichelherr
04-10-2008, 12:36 AM
Wow that's the sweetest thing! even if he become a 6 x 6, i wouldnt ever shoot him
________
SL1000 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Aprilia_SL1000)

Mr. Dean
04-10-2008, 12:51 AM
Habituated.
Do him a favour and toss him in the freezer at the earliest possible moment.

kgs
04-10-2008, 12:56 AM
Great video! Wife wants one now LOL

hunter1947
04-10-2008, 03:54 AM
Nice to see he is enjoying himself ,,he might be a mongolian??. As for the antler growth maybe he has rubbed it on something and thats why there is no velvet left on the nub antler. Its hard to see the small nub antler to really tell what it looks like.

Steeleco
04-10-2008, 05:43 AM
Habituated.

I'd have to agree on that, he's not long in the wild if he walks right in on someone that doesn't know him. Cute and sad at the same time.

Tank
04-10-2008, 05:53 AM
I wonder if the "nubs" are a leftover from last year? maybe they haven't dropped yet?

kennyj
04-10-2008, 05:57 AM
I wonder if the "nubs" are a leftover from last year? maybe they haven't dropped yet?

I'd agree the antlers are last years.I've seen small bucks with antlers in mid April.
Kenny

jerad
04-10-2008, 06:08 AM
cute but sadx2 shoot it, freeze it, mount the head.

Mulies
04-10-2008, 06:14 AM
Kind of reminds me of the little orca that was up in the gold river inlet. You just knew it was a matter of time before something happened.

3kills
04-10-2008, 06:21 AM
u sure its a buck and maybe not a doe with antlers??? i have read some where that if a doe grows antlers they dont drop them..

willyqbc
04-10-2008, 07:54 AM

This deer would have been 6 months old last fall..can they even grow antlers at that age???

3kills....I will lift his skirt if I ever see him again and check your theory!! HAHAHA!!

Habituated.

can't......the kids have named him:???:, allthough i bet i could walk him right into the shop under the hanging hooks before i slit his throat!!:twisted:

Chris

swamper
04-10-2008, 08:06 AM
Good vid Chris. I'll come out later and help you really tame him down.

Bow Walker
04-10-2008, 08:19 AM
I agree with Mulies and Steelco - just matter of time. Too bad really, whoever raised that little fawn and released it diddn't do it any favors in the long run.

What did the kids name him? Dinner?

04-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Do the deer population and take it out of the gene pool, and into your freezer, if this one passes his genes on it's off spring may be just as stupid, which in turn will lower the population over all. Bet he'll be tender, matter fact, fatten him up a little with some Grade A alfalfa...LOL
C/T

Nailgunslinger
04-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Thats so funny, I had that happen with a fawn when I was fishing as a kid. I was standing on a culvert facing the waterm when BAM!, I get hit from behind the knees, I turned around and this spotted little guy was standing there obviously pleased with himself. I remember not wanting to touch him because of all the shows I watched about not touching babies of wild animals in case they wouldn't get accepted back into their family unit. This led to him headbutting me until I gave up and petted him. The litle squirt followed me around like a dog all day.
I walked him to an animal farm up the road, where apparently he had escaped from the day before when he was brought there when his mom was killed. He adapted pretty quick to humans and did the same kind of thing your guy does,act like a dog thats been wound up,run around ,then come to be petted.
Pretty neat,although I feel sorry for him if he wanders onto crown land during hunting season. May as well have a target on him.:wink:

srupp
04-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Too cute Chris...thanks for sharing Susan and I got a real giggle out of that little imp!...hope he "smartens Up" before fall....

We are in QUESNEL in 2 hours to buy a Pomeranian for Mom...

Cheers

Steven

Jetboater
04-10-2008, 09:52 AM
a lot of young deer with still have thier nubs till the new ones push out... typically pretty good genetics if he has small bumps in his first year...

good on you guys for wanting to whack the little guy... if he succumbs to the next fall so be it... but weeding him out isnt the right idea... we had a couple orphaned fawns where I used to live.. one turned into a pretty decent 3x4 till he got hit by a car...

Mr. Dean
04-10-2008, 10:56 AM
can't......the kids have named him:???:, allthough i bet i could walk him right into the shop under the hanging hooks before i slit his throat!!:twisted:

Chris
Then consider using it as a tool, as to why we shouldn't interfere w/ wild animals. As "cute" as this may be, he's likely to die because of it, unnaturally. Either because he hurts someones kid or gets nailed by a vehicle...

IMO, this interaction shouldn't be reinforced in a positive light. Wild animals should be encouraged to remain wild, not be named and taught to come back for more interactions. There is no benefit from this, other than a selfish 'feel good', for us.

The closest, natural death that could likely now ocurre, would be for it to fall from a hunter. The reason why I state closest; is because its habituated, the chase wouldn't be 'fair'. He has become accustomed to having humans in his life and the flee instinct has diminished.

Anyways... Not meaning to come off as a preacher, but more-so tossing out something to consider. :smile:

Tank
04-10-2008, 01:07 PM
This deer is obviously a poor judge of character....

KevinB
04-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Habituated.

no, no, no you've got it all wrong!

I forsee a couple of months of oats and red wine for it first. THEN the freezer.:biggrin:

manalishi
04-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks for shareing that video, that deer is too cute. Hope to see a few more if you run into him before he runs into someones dinner table. ;)

troutseeker
04-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Give the deer to Susan Musgrave, along with a black bear. I hear she is looking for pets...