PDA

View Full Version : Antler sheds.. is it legal to buy or sell these?

Calamity Jane
04-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Just wondering if any of you knew if its legal for me to buy antlers or sheds off of other people? do you need to get a permit to sell them? Wildfoot wants to have a go at making a deer antler chandelier. Do we have to collect our own sheds, or is it possible to buy them?

If it is legal - do any of you have sheds you would sell? Not lookin for trophies, just 3 or 4 racks (6 - 8 antlers) to try making a light fixture.

mark
04-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Its perfectly legal to buy or sell antler sheds, and is quite commonly done. Im not ready to sell any of mine but there are sites on line that do sell them......I believe antler inc??? dont quote me on that, but someone here will have the link, they have barns full of sheds. Far more rewarding if you go out and find yer own though!

mark
04-09-2008, 10:18 PM
found it, there are other sites as well!

http://www.antlersinc.com/

Calamity Jane
04-09-2008, 10:40 PM
thanks mark. I (wildfoot.. calamity has my comp) haven't been too successful at finding sheds. haha at the rate i find them.. i should have enough for my light fixture by 2020!

hunter1947
04-10-2008, 04:14 AM
No problems selling antlers or horns ,I have never done this befor but I asked a CO years ago and he gave me the thumbs up if I wanted to sell them ,the only thing he said is if you sell a fresh killed set of antlers to someone and that person got stopped by a CO ,he might have to prove where he got them from ,that was years back I don't know if that still stands today ???.

boxhitch
04-10-2008, 07:23 AM
the only thing he said is if you sell a fresh killed set of antlers to someone and that person got stopped by a CO ,he might have to prove where he got them from ,that was years back I don't know if that still stands today ???.
Logic says this would still hold true. Fresh antlers or antlers on skulls are not from sheds. You can get in a heap of trouble, by picking antlers off of roadkills too.

Fisher-Dude
04-10-2008, 08:18 AM
Any fresh killed antlers attached to the skull should be accompanied by teh appropriate species licence. We sold some of my dad's old mounts a few years back, and the buyer insisted that we give him licence and tag numbers to make it legit. The guy is in the business, so he knows what he needed.

If you want some antlers, just go rip a few off from dana's glory pile, he won't even miss them. ;)

Dannybuoy
04-10-2008, 08:19 AM
There is no problem selling antlers on skull plates either , you just have to have the cancelled tags . I sold the pile of small (2-4 point) antler sets to the local guy when I moved a few years ago . I just had to get a permit from the CO stating I had legally shot the animals from which the antlers had come from , and in what years , as I hadnt kept every licence .

Sitkaspruce
04-10-2008, 09:03 AM
I sell all my moose antlers, either drops or what has been harvested leagaly. I also sell a lot of nantive killed moose antlers, for some reason they do not haul them out of the bush. I have to get a sworn affidavid from someone who can do it and produce that with the antlers. A few years ago I could sell a nice pair of drops of a 50" bull for around $300 if in great shape.

This one was worth $130
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/OurFirstTrip089.jpg

and the small matched pair was worth $75
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/OurFirstTrip088.jpg

Not a bad haul for an hours work.

It was sad to hear that the old fella who comes and buys the antlers was assaulted last month in Fort St, James and all his cash was taken. He promply left town and will probably not come back.

SS

islandstalker
04-10-2008, 11:28 AM
did they find out who jumped the old guy? that sucks. your right he will probably not come back.

Sitkaspruce
04-10-2008, 12:00 PM
did they find out who jumped the old guy? that sucks. your right he will probably not come back.

It was reported that it was a couple of the "locals" from the reserve in town, but I cannot confirm that as I was not there.

He would barter with you for a price and would no weight them, he went on condition and how nice you were. He is a great guy

SS