PDA

View Full Version : West of 100 Mile?

Rusty
04-08-2008, 01:34 PM
I was chatting with a couple of guys in our Hunting Zone this fall and they were mentioning a area west of 100 mile where you have to walk in NO vehicles allowed! You can camp on the outskirts but only walking in is allowed. He said the migration goes through there but I want to know about what time this happens? I think it is South of the Gang Ranch?
Can anyone expand on this?
Thanks!
Rusty

Jelvis
04-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Rusty how are ya? West of 100 Mile is a big area any names of a lake or hill that is close by to give an idea? South? Of Gang Ranch. You could be talking Brown area. Deer migrate around end of October and especially after big snow up higher in elevation pushes them down to wintering area. Mule deer usually migrate just before breeding season around the 23rd of October it starts full tilt for muleys. Jelredrustygoodluckinyouradventuresfordeerandmoose

BCrams
04-08-2008, 03:31 PM
They're talking about the Churn Creek protected area portion that is adjacent to and south of the Gang Ranch. Here is a link with all info you need with maps and photos.....

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/churn.html

The area includes the Empire Valley area which they are likely talking about for hunting deer. Do a search on here with Empire Valley ... plenty of discussion.

tomahawk
04-08-2008, 04:48 PM
They're talking about the Churn Creek protected area portion that is adjacent to and south of the Gang Ranch. Here is a link with all info you need with maps and photos.....

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/churn.html

The area includes the Empire Valley area which they are likely talking about for hunting deer. Do a search on here with Empire Valley ... plenty of discussion.

And almost as many hunters as deer.

4 point
04-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Forget it. It's like going to the Army & Navy shoe sale.

rifleman
04-08-2008, 07:39 PM
if it's the empire valley make sure you wear blaze orange. alot of people & only a few real hunters. no problem getting a buck. lots of two & three points around. no vehicles allowed off road. walk in only.

Jelvis
04-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Rusty if you want some later season hunting when you go towards that area and there is a foot or so of snow by chance, stop and glass the Islands of trees off and along the road in the flats you can see bucks in those little Islands of trees and bush. Just a thought for you to try. Of course it has to be crown land to hunt it you can check maps on it. Jel

kennyj
04-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Hey BCrams, Good info.
Kenny

wsm
04-08-2008, 09:07 PM
he maybe speaking of 800,900,1100roads around valentine lake. if so it's not what it used to be, dont get me wrong i still go there. most the deer are gone by sept 20 in that area.

BlacktailStalker
04-08-2008, 09:16 PM
I'll echo this, yep it's day has come and gone except for a couple hidey holes that always hold a buck or two. Sometimes.

Jelvis
04-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Last I heard there are thousands of mule deer that migrate down all along the river, to the breaks around Gang and south along the river banks. Some hunters use river boats and hunt meadows and hiding places that no hiker will get too and they get big bucks so if you aren't scared of the mighty Fraser and can swim good take a boat and pull up in a good area and you will be the only ones there to see the big looey. Jelriverboatsonthemightyfrasergothtegutsandthecoin ?

c.r.hunter
04-08-2008, 11:02 PM
Last I heard there are thousands of mule deer that migrate down all along the river, to the breaks around Gang and south along the river banks. Some hunters use river boats and hunt meadows and hiding places that no hiker will get too and they get big bucks so if you aren't scared of the mighty Fraser and can swim good take a boat and pull up in a good area and you will be the only ones there to see the big looey. Jelriverboatsonthemightyfrasergothtegutsandthecoin ?

I doubt being able to "swim good" will help you if you fall into the Fraser late fall/early winter. I'm assuming that was sarcasm....

Jelvis
04-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Ya I was c.r. you caught me in a state of minimal sarcasm. Personally I like my two feet on solid ground so I would hunt from the road down on the best deer trails that cross over and down to the river area for the look see and the fresh air. Jelair

hunter1947
04-09-2008, 04:20 AM
I agree with BTS ,there are always a hidden hole of some sort in an area ,just get out and do it .Hunt hard and don't look back hunt hard.

ruttinbuck
04-09-2008, 06:15 AM
You guys have all forgot?
Apparently there are not any deer in region 5 anymore and the hunting around the churn will be closed when the deer get there.As of this season the area closes the 10th of Nov.RB

horshur
04-09-2008, 08:30 AM
You guys have all forgot?
Apparently there are not any deer in region 5 anymore and the hunting around the churn will be closed when the deer get there.As of this season the area closes the 10th of Nov.RB

hey...how long do you suppose it will take region 3 bio to do the same???
with the inevitable increase of hunters in November being the only place still open within a few hours of the larger centres ?

ruttinbuck
04-09-2008, 08:53 AM
hey...how long do you suppose it will take region 3 bio to do the same???
with the inevitable increase of hunters in November being the only place still open within a few hours of the larger centres ?
He has already stated to me in conversation"I sure hope we don't end up closing our Nov mulie season to cope with the extra pressure"

What I don't get is according to the govt's numbers,the number of resident hunters is way down from 20 yrs ago.Even if every hunter in BC had success in region 5 during an any buck season we still would'nt be taking as many bucks as they have in the past.This combined with huge amounts of bug kill logging blocks for habitat and record deer car collisions on the trans Canada in the Cariboo and we still don't have enough bucks for a Nov any buck or at least 4 point season.Sorry for the hijack.RB

tufferthandug
04-09-2008, 09:51 AM
He has already stated to me in conversation"I sure hope we don't end up closing our Nov mulie season to cope with the extra pressure"

What I don't get is according to the govt's numbers,the number of resident hunters is way down from 20 yrs ago.Even if every hunter in BC had success in region 5 during an any buck season we still would'nt be taking as many bucks as they have in the past.This combined with huge amounts of bug kill logging blocks for habitat and record deer car collisions on the trans Canada in the Cariboo and we still don't have enough bucks for a Nov any buck or at least 4 point season.Sorry for the hijack.RB

This is a good point. I wish I could here what basis and opinions the Reg. 5 Bio used to justify dropping the late buck season from the books? Who was responsible for the buck-doe counts?

These Bio's are the ones with the education and experience, so hopefully the season revisions prove to have a positive outcome. Is the two year moratorium for real, or just hearsay?

Sorry for the Hijack...

LeverActionJunkie
04-09-2008, 10:19 AM
I believe it has to do with the intense pressure that they face during Nov, everybody and their dog drives up in that time frame and smokes a deer.

ruttinbuck
04-09-2008, 10:28 AM
This is a good point. I wish I could here what basis and opinions the Reg. 5 Bio used to justify dropping the late buck season from the books? Who was responsible for the buck-doe counts?

These Bio's are the ones with the education and experience, so hopefully the season revisions prove to have a positive outcome. Is the two year moratorium for real, or just hearsay?

Sorry for the Hijack...
The moritorium is for real.
Pat Dielman has stated unless something drastic happens weather wise and the numbers really dive we will be seeing a late season 4pt or better again in two years.
Funny thing is the exact scenario that the bio claims has happened is what hunters said would happen if he went back to an any buck full Nov opening.RB

BCrams
04-09-2008, 02:06 PM
The moritorium is for real.
Pat Dielman has stated unless something drastic happens weather wise and the numbers really dive we will be seeing a late season 4pt or better again in two years.
Funny thing is the exact scenario that the bio claims has happened is what hunters said would happen if he went back to an any buck full Nov opening.RB

Only if the First Nations allow it to open again. There are some major dealings going on with the First Nations treaty stuff right now in the Caribou and if the season closes, I wouldn't put it past them it will be as good as permanent.

Let me know in 2 yrs if its back.

My money goes on it not re-opening.

Jelvis
04-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Leveraction you said everybody and their dog. Of course it's Dog Creek area thats good not just the other side the west side of the river but the east side too. Dog Creek thats why they have dogs lol. Jelvisdogcreek2

ruttinbuck
04-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Only if the First Nations allow it to open again. There are some major dealings going on with the First Nations treaty stuff right now and if the season closed like they want, I wouldn't put it past them it will be as good as permanent.

Let me know in 2 yrs if its back. My money goes on it not re-opening.
I have heard about the FN comments on the 20 days in Nov being gone forever.
With the brand new BC game Allocation policy,the FN group do have priority over res. hunters and GOABC.However from what Dielman did say I am hoping we at least get the late season back.It si too bad the govt won't manage with science,only with politcal gain.RB

Jelvis
04-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Good deer hunting in the southern part of MU 5-3. In MU 5-1 it's the south east section thats good, believe it or not? Jellysouthofgangtowardsfrenchbargooddeermigrationw interrange

TimberPig
04-09-2008, 07:02 PM

Sorry for the Hijack...

Here's some reading summarizing his decision

http://www.williamslakesportsmen.com/Roger_Stewart_letter.pdf

MattB
04-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Only if the First Nations allow it to open again. There are some major dealings going on with the First Nations treaty stuff right now in the Caribou and if the season closes, I wouldn't put it past them it will be as good as permanent.

Let me know in 2 yrs if its back.

My money goes on it not re-opening.

I could care less if the late season is closed for good. Lets get that area producing monster bucks EVERY year :idea:. Give that area 5 years and im betting we will see some crankers taken in the early season and towards the end of October. Hunting that country can be as good or better when the rut isnt on, all you gotta do is sit and glass!

tufferthandug
04-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Here's some reading summarizing his decision

http://www.williamslakesportsmen.com/Roger_Stewart_letter.pdf

Thanks for the read.

dana
04-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Maybe in a few years we'll start seeing bucks like these again in the Churn.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Churn1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/ChurnDropper1.jpg

Jelvis
04-10-2008, 02:16 PM
If you get out of your truck and hike for a day or two maybe? Otherwise Monday morning quarterback again! Jelvistryhuntingbyfootforachangeumightlikeitlolmet ellingalegendyarightsorrydana