PDA

View Full Version : Stop South Okanagan National Park

EvanG
04-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Lets help prevent the loss of much of the similkimeen and south Okanagan to the newly proposed national park, and with it the majority of recreational activities. I Just got off the wild sheep societies website www.wildsheepsociety.org (http://www.wildsheepsociety.org) where they have a drafted letter to the Minister of Enviroment in a pritable form, just print sign your name and mail it in and hope we dont lose acess to this awesome area.

Wildfoot
04-05-2008, 04:18 PM
yah that park is going to be a waste. If anything - make it full status prov. park so it has better funding for management. Also allows the opportunity to fish with a regular bc license and the possibility of hunting!

mainland hunter
04-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks for posting this again. It's important that people become proactive with this issue. The park boundaries they have outlined are huge and would close a very substantial piece of property to hunting.
http://www.wildsheepsociety.org/system/files/The+Honorable+John+Baird+PDF.pdf

Stone Sheep Steve
04-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Thanks for posting this again. It's important that people become proactive with this issue. The park boundaries they have outlined are huge and would close a very substantial piece of property to hunting.
http://www.wildsheepsociety.org/system/files/The+Honorable+John+Baird+PDF.pdf

Not to mention...those sheep would no longer be available for transplant.

SSS

huntingfamily
04-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Thanks for all your support guys!

Nice to see people from outside the area helping out.

We need all the help we can get to prevent this huge area from becoming a National Park and losing it for hunting and fishing forever.

Please call/write your MP and MLA. We must speak up to be heard!

Thanks!

Kye
04-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Is there no way to have the park while still allowing hunting? Is the main reason for the park not to conserve these sensitive grassland areas, and prevent development? Sounds like it would be a win-win if it would become a reserve, while still allowing hunting ect. (like BC Parks does)?

msawyer
04-06-2008, 12:04 AM
Hello all...

So please explain to me what exactly is wrong with creating a national park... A park that will offer habitat and wildlife populations a higher degree of protection than otherwise available to them through provincial legislation... Lost hunting opportunities can be made up through increased wildlife populations and an increase in trophy animals in areas adjacent to large protected areas...

So why not?

Best regards

MSawyer
________
Boss 302 Mustang (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Boss_302_Mustang)

Deaddog
04-06-2008, 07:04 AM
MSawyer, a national park would make it extremely difficult to improve habitat (ie burns, slashing projects) and therefore may actually hurt wildlife poplulations. It also creates a number of issues in regards to transplants and studies and the process of having them approved and completed. While the protection of those grasslands is vital... to all (wildlife and humans), there are better ways to ensure protection while allowing those that live in the area and province the proper management tools to ensure the protection of the area. One need to only look at Jasper or Banff to see what some of the fears may be around another national park. Provincially the gov't can "protect" any area as they see fit. I am sure the majority of people support the protecton of the area, just not in a federal park/reserve status. Deaddog

tracker
04-06-2008, 07:32 AM
The population of wildlife is thriving here in the okanagan ,it will be over populated if the park goes in ..Yes the ajacent area's will get hunted hard and be over hunted..

But real issues now!!!!

Takeing away ranchers livings,there will be no cattle grazing in a national park ,also most of them live on the park or park boudaries.So grazing leases will be terminated..Some family's go back over 100 years in ranching in that area..

Recreation user's will not be allowed to enter park land ,NO MOTOR VEHICHLES ,NO HUNTING,NO CAMPING ,NO MOUNTAIN BIKING ,fishing will be allowed as long as you pay your permit fee and get a park pass,same applys to hiking .Fish on designated lakes and hike on designated trails,joy joy...

Guides and outfitters have lost there business,there is also a no fly zone above national parks ,which means no helicopters or planes at certain elevations,we have helicopter company in penticton that relies on that area for training purposes ,they will be gone ,in turn they support the penticton airport a great deal with money they bring in so the penticton airport would be in jepardy ...So loss of business is real too..

Okanagan residents are being told by the federal goverment on how to take care of there land "BC LAND" ,by the way the people that started this idea were doing it all for the wrong reason's ,Ross Fitzpatrik and Jean Chretein, its there legacy ..:mad:Where do they stop, BC has amazing national park opportunities all over "WHEN WILL YOU BE NEXT IN LINE" :wink:

Alot of the sensitive low lying areas are allready been protected for the owl's and lizards..By the grassslands association..

KEEP OUT THE NATIONAL PARK

huntingfamily
04-06-2008, 07:33 AM
MSawyer,A large part of this area is already adequately protected by being within a Provincial Park. That means you and I can still hunt and fish there. And ride our atv's and motorcycles, as long as we stay on existing roads.

In 2000, the Land and Resource Management Plan was adopted. The plan was developed by consensus among representative stakeholder groups over the period 1995 - 2000. In other words, all the interested groups had a say in a plan for the area. They worked on this local plan for over five years and it will be tossed in the garbage.
Here is a link for more info: http://ilmbwww.gov.bc.ca/lup/lrmp/southern/okan/index.html

The proposed National Park boundary is surrounded largely by highways, Indian Reserve, orchards and ranches. Do you really believe these will be ideal areas for deer to congregate? Talk to the locals about that scenario.

Canadian helicopters operates helicopter training courses in that area, and brings in a huge amount of money to the Penticton airport. A very successful business that has been here for many, many years, will not be able to fly over the National Park.
Another link:
http://www.canadianhelicopters.ca/frame/content/penticton.html

All recreationists should be able to use this area, not just a select group.And you better have your wallet handy and full when you show up at the gate to enter the National Park with your family.There are many more negative impacts but you get the picture.
Read the definition of "National Park". Far too restrictive I say.

hf

mainland hunter
04-06-2008, 08:21 AM
For myself I have no opposition to protecting the area, It's a beautifull part of the province. Like others said, National Parks are not all their made out to be.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Don't forget.....just by calling it a "National Park" will see an incredible increase in park traffic.
My wife wanted us to go see Banff and Jasper one summer. I said "No Thanks!!" Hoards of people is not my idea of "nature".

SSS

GoatGuy
04-06-2008, 11:01 AM
National parks are just a big garbage can for tourists.

Our current National Parks are a complete and total nightmare of mis-management, habitat fragmentation and ecosystems that really end up completely and totally out of balance.

The problems are joint and several and it would seem at the end of the day it's more about bringing people in to see and get chased by an elk in town that it is to free land up. Exclusion fencing, major highways, elk populations that are out of control. Grizz populations with the lowest genetic diversity found damn near anywhere. Predation through wildlife underpasses, definitely natural.

Best one was elk transplanted out of the park because they were a nuisance ended up at the golf course in Radium where we had to have the COS shoot them. Hundreds of thousands of dollars to shoot tame elk. Not to mention the laissez-faire approach which simply doesn't work in an area where you have human intrusion and no predators in some areas.

Nevermind the consultants they hire a completely and totally anti-fishing and anti-hunting, generally anti-use but support visitors by the thousands and eco-terrorism. Some of these individuals couldn't get much farther away from a scientific approach.

Maybe we'll get a couple more major highways, exclusion fencing, and another ski hill or two set up - oh and a bunch of hotels. That's natural!

Elk living on a golf course - hell of a snapshot of nature if you ask me.

I don't think you'll find anybody who doesn't support the protection of wild spaces but we're wayyyyyyyyy better off doing it on our own than we are have the feds try to do it for us.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-06-2008, 01:37 PM
BTW- The calender that my son brought home(in the thread "What would You do??) that was put together by the Wilderness Committee(an anti-hunting organization), had one month devoted to supporting the South Okanagan National Park........:roll:

SSS

boxhitch
04-06-2008, 10:20 PM
What other websites have posted up this 'No to South Okanagan Park' campaign ?

horshur
04-06-2008, 11:03 PM
South slope, Worlds Ridge, Snowy mnt, Newbie lakes. I have some very fond memories of horses and campfires and good friends. Still can picture this little black grade gelding who we forgot about as we left the Aframe on south slope....he became aware and as horese do made a dramatic effort to catch up in the process the load got a little loud and he got a little scared and Charlie Russell could have painted a real good scene based on the events following....blood, splintered boxes, groceries spread accross the slope.
The night my new wife and I took shelter in Barneys cabin cause a storm was rolling in and our tent weren't so good...she didn't sleep a wink for the rat's.
We did a trip up there with Tim and Vera Roberts...they were newly married and opted to sleep under the stars, Very romantic, woke us up in the middle of the night complaining of snow they were buried in it about a foot and a half.
Did a sheep count once just after the big dieout....kathy and I were priviliged to hike with a local orchardist and fruit stand owner who had eyes for game like I have never seen. Met Ernie Marvin and he ended up selling our home when we moved.
I drew a tag for sheep up there also...just before the dieout...seen over a hundred sheep in 4 day's hunting...stood near the summit of snowy in a crag freezing until dark trying to convince myself of whether the one ram was legal or not(I believe he was)
That land belongs to the people of BC. Prostituting to the world would be a shame!!!!

greybark
04-07-2008, 09:34 AM
:shock: Two years ago the TBBC collected signatures against this park proposal . At that time the park proposal banned hunting with the exception of first nations .
Cheers

MichelD
04-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Does anyone have a link to a good map of the proposed National Park boundaries please?

Deaddog
04-07-2008, 01:11 PM
heres the link, DD

http://www.pc.gc.ca/progs/np-pn/cnpn-cnnp/os-os/itm2-/page4_e.asp

threedhunter
04-07-2008, 01:49 PM
the park is the least acceptable option, as when the feds see fit, it is no longer a park, it is a military base. look what happened at wainright,in 1939.1907 buffalo national park was created, the last free roaming herds in north amerca were existed there.1938 the war on the horizon, the feds wanted [ not needed] a place to train soldirs so off go the buff on go soldiers.still a base today.beware alternative motives for our places already covered by protection provincialy. just ann eye opener.:-(

boxhitch
04-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Wow, thats quite a stretch, to think the formation af this park could be for a future CAF base.

SHAKER
04-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Lets not forget, if the Gov. is telling us it's good then we really should be look'n the other way. Goverment only does things too you--------NOT FOR YOU! This is just another way to take away rights and access so some beurocrat can have a legacy.

NO HUNT'N
NO DRIVE'N
NO STOP'N TO SMELL THE ROSES
NO DOGS OFF LEASHES

This park idea can kiss my a$$ !

Walksalot
04-09-2008, 05:59 AM
This proposed park will be a National Park Reserve which means that the rules of a national park apply to some and not to others. If there are areas to be protected then those areas can be protected by other means than a national park. The open meeting I attended was, IMHO, a joke. One person made a comment on the propaganda being distributed by the pro park people. When a person from the audience asked for an elaboration on the propaganda that person was told by the moderator to discuss it after the meeting. A slide presentation was made by a former government employee and when questioned about how the numbers of people who would have employment should this park become a realization he had no idea how the number was arrived at. IMHO, these meetings were organized with the under lying mandate of going into the masses and letting them have their say but push the park down their throats whether they like it or not. Most people have no idea of the ramifications should this park come to fruition. If there are sensitive areas to protect then lets protect em but lets not create a monument to a soon to be former federal government employee.

bckev
04-09-2008, 10:29 AM
I said in the beginning that the park was a government agenda that was going to go through, and they would use lots of pyschological means to do it. First thing I said they would do is expand the boundaries of the park and then back those boundaries off to the original plan and say they compromised. DONE. They have used wonderful propoganda methods to make it look like they are neutral but if you look at the information that has been presented it is all staged so that the last and most positive thought is pro park. People are sheep and if we don't think and challenge we will get what we deserve. End of my rant for the day.

aggiehunter
04-11-2008, 09:25 PM
I live at the base of the proposed NPR and shot my first mule deer with my Dad there when I was 11 (13years ago). The problem with the NPR is the lies that Parcs Canada is telling. At a recent meeting with Stockwell Day he said "Oh I thought everyone thought it was a good idea". He was given that advice by Parcs Canada themselves. Whether or not this NPR goes through it will be done with deceit and not with endorsement by the people that live in it's shadows, that is the TRUTH!

tangozulu
04-14-2008, 08:00 PM
While your at it better start signing a petition against CPAWS propsed National Park in the SE corner of BC..........Flathead River. Another potentially huge loss to hunters.

tracker
04-15-2008, 02:59 PM
I THINK THIS GUY THAT MADE THIS SIGN SHOULD GET A "ADA BOY" PAT ON THE BACK...Its on highway 97 just south of vaseux lake..good job bud if you read this.. :biggrin:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z78/tracker_07/nonationalparksign.jpg

islandboy
04-23-2008, 06:07 AM
Does Premier Campbell's announcement affect this?
http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=2b1f0d0e-5cf6-4b57-af5b-6fa004e6b7c6&k=11072

Stone Sheep Steve
04-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Does Premier Campbell's announcement affect this?
http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=2b1f0d0e-5cf6-4b57-af5b-6fa004e6b7c6&k=11072

Since the National park Reserve process is pretty slow, the Provincial Gov't should slip in the side door and make it a Provincial Park:grin:.

SSS

EvanG
03-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Just came across a thread I made a while back, dont want it to slip peoples minds and was wondering if anything has come of this yet, havent heard any updates.

Monashee
03-25-2009, 11:32 PM
Who owns the land now ?

SteadyGirl
03-26-2009, 04:35 AM
Not to mention...those sheep would no longer be available for transplant.

SSS

and why is that?

Stone Sheep Steve
03-26-2009, 04:50 AM
and why is that?

Well, I guess it's possible but I can remember, at least in recent years, of sheep being moved off National Park land.

SSS

GoatGuy
03-26-2009, 08:42 AM
Well, I guess it's possible but I can remember, at least in recent years, of sheep being moved off National Park land.

SSS

They can but they won't. They only like to do that with their problem elk.

Nice to pay somebody to dart an elk, then ship it out to the Kootenays where the elk end up on another golf course and the COs have to shoot them because they're chasing golfers around.

Talk about a waste, and an extremely expensive waste at that.

Parks Canada is one of my favorites........:lol:

Their solution to sheep will be to re-introduce grizzly and wolves and create another nightmare just like what they're having to deal with now.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-26-2009, 08:51 AM
They can but they won't. They only like to do that with their problem elk.

Nice to pay somebody to dart an elk, then ship it out to the Kootenays where the elk end up on another golf course and the COs have to shoot them because they're chasing golfers around.

Talk about a waste, and an extremely expensive waste at that.

Parks Canada is one of my favorites........:lol:

Their solution to sheep will be to re-introduce grizzly and wolves and create another nightmare just like what they're having to deal with now.

Now theres an idea....high fence all the National Parks and fill them up with G-bears and wolves.:cool:

GoatGuy
03-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Now theres an idea....high fence all the National Parks and fill them up with G-bears and wolves.:cool:

No, they only high fence around highways so that migration routes can be cut off.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-26-2009, 09:33 AM
Perfect. Make it like Jurassic Park and chain a little lamby near the fence so the chubby little city kids can watch it get shredded by a big grizz or a pack of wolves:eek:.

Little Johnny could then go back to the city and tell some stories about how nature really works..........................:cool:.

SSS

Phreddy
03-26-2009, 09:34 AM
I'm not even going to write our mp Alex Atamenko on this one. His constituents are generally against the prk so I'm sure he'll vote for it. Hmmmmmmmm, maybe if we all write him to support the park he'll vote against it.

papaken
03-26-2009, 09:49 AM
They should turn Ottawa into a park and fill it with Grizzly Bears and Wolves!