PDA

View Full Version : Eating Black Bear Meat

msawyer
04-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Hello All...

What can you tell me about eating black bear meat? Recipes? Care and preparation techniques?

Many thanks

Mike
________
Rambler Rebel (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Rambler_Rebel)

Steeleco
04-02-2008, 07:59 PM
It's YUKKY you should give it all to me!!!
Actually it's very good table fare, some like it steaked, some only like it in sausage and ground.

Use the search feature at the top for "bear meat" grab a beverage and get comfy!!

Gateholio
04-02-2008, 08:42 PM
I just made up a big batch of bear curry for our fundraiser this Saturday..mmmm

I like bear meat in curries, spag sauce, meatloaf, stews....Anything heavily seasoned.

Not keen on bear steaks, but a small bear woudl be good.

Phil
04-02-2008, 08:49 PM
I had bear ham corn chowder for dinner tonight. Best darn chowder I ever ate.

Pea soup with bear ham coming later in the week.

Eat it up, yum!

EvanG
04-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Nothin Wrong with it whatsoever, I prefer spring bears, which I find can be eaten as steaks or roast although seems to stay a little tough. Has a unigue taste like any meat, but not at all "gamey".

wolverine
04-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Everyone, from the wife to the kids in my family like it and my wife was one that said there was no way she would eat it. I have my butcher do up a bunch of smoked garlic sausage and I cut that up in thin rounds and put it in spaghetti sauce and let the simmer for a few hours. Best spaghetti ever. Just make sure you either cook it low and slow so it's completely cooked and freezing it for about 6 mo. will also take away an trichonosis fears you might have. It's great meat, I'll take two a year if I can. Makes excellent summer sausage and pepperoni too.

Mr. Dean
04-02-2008, 10:20 PM
We dined on Honey Garlic Bear Sausage (me-made), tonite. Baked taters, broccoli and cheese sauce, dinner salads as well.

Enough for sausage sammy's tomorrow.

Bear tastes BAAAAAAD.

04-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Had it as a Roast, with nothing fancy....but it was Great!

hunter1947
04-03-2008, 05:56 AM
I have ben told that Pepperonis maid from bear meat are real good.:roll:

ratherbefishin
04-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Since bears are omnivors-and not picky about what they eat-so taking a bear away from garbage or before they are on fish can produce some very fine table fare-properly prepared.I prefer it cured-or as sausage[just as I do pork]I don't see a lot of diference between spring bear or fall bear for taste-but a fall bear produces a lot of fat-excellent for baking when rendered down -a hard,white,odourless lard.

Kirby
04-03-2008, 10:08 AM
I use to just have it ground and done into sausage and pepperoni. Not anymore. After my bear from last year I kept a couple of steaks, I was unsure how bear would be so I cooked some up and fed it to my family under the pretense of it being deer. After they loved it and wanted more I figured it was safe to try... excellent meat, not like any other game I've ever had.

This year I'm planning on hammering away and keeping everything I can off the bear as steaks and roasts.

Kirby

mainland hunter
04-03-2008, 10:34 AM
After my bear from last year I kept a couple of steaks, I was unsure how bear would be so I cooked some up and fed it to my family under the pretense of it being deer.
Kirby

that's hilarious. I did the same thing to my gf's family but had tried it already.

Mulies
04-03-2008, 01:49 PM
If you can find someone that cures hams. The bear hams are great. Had some done and they looked a little funny (dark purple) but they were every bit as good as any pork ham I have ever had.

3kills
04-03-2008, 08:15 PM
i love bear hams if u get the right person to make them they are awesome...i will turn any bear i get this year into sausage and pepperoni witha few hams...cant wait thats for sure...

bsa30-06
04-03-2008, 08:38 PM
If i'm lucky enough to get a bear this year i think i'll have smokies and pepperoni made.The last spicy pepperoni i had made was excellent even my kids and wife ate it, and my wife doesnt eat any game meat.

trucktoys
04-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Mulies.... who did you get to make your hams??? I hope to get one this year and would like to try a few hams.