PDA

View Full Version : Park Boundaries Sumas Mountain

ElectricDyck
04-01-2008, 08:43 PM
I was doing some hiking on Sumas mountain and saw some encouraging deer sign. I went home and looked at the special area hunting map and noticed that there is a few sections of the mountain which are labeled as regional park land. I look in the regs and it says that there is no hunting in these areas.
My question is how do you tell where you are, the map shows no landmarks to relate your position to. Any help is appreciated.

Bow Walker
04-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Height of land is usually the benchmark for boundaries. Rivers/large streams do play a part as well.

ElectricDyck
04-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Height of land is usually the benchmark for boundaries. Rivers/large streams do play a part as well.

Yes I agree, like when you're up Kookipi heading to Nahatlatch you can almost draw a line in ths sand when you cross into the next region. I noticed no such natural divisions as the park boundaries are rigid rectangle type areas.:confused:

If no clear line can be drawn I will just guess and stay well away.:-(

Bow Walker
04-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Yes - stay well clear. The onus is entirely on you to know where you are and whether or not it is legal to take a game animal. Be careful and err on the cautious side.

Steeleco
04-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Stop in the Guildford C/O's office and see if they can help answer your question?

ElectricDyck
04-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Stop in the Guildford C/O's office and see if they can help answer your question?

Gps coordinates would be nice.:D

Hey Steelco, it's spring!

Steeleco
04-02-2008, 05:39 AM
Gps coordinates would be nice.:D

Hey Steelco, it's spring!

Thanks E-D but I'm still looking for proof!!!

BTW, I shoot at Ridgedale on the end of Harris road, we've seen plenty of deer on the range, and plenty of evidence of Bear too :shock:

ElectricDyck
04-02-2008, 04:53 PM
and plenty of evidence of Bear too :shock:

We saw no bear sign where we were hiiking, but that would sure be exciting. I've never hunted with bow before though and think I should probably try deer first.;)

EvanG
04-02-2008, 05:30 PM
I ve heard theres a nice cinnamon hanging around where the road comes down the back side of the mountain by the matsqui flats.

J_T
04-02-2008, 05:42 PM
I ve heard theres a nice cinnamon hanging around where the road comes down the back side of the mountain by the matsqui flats.
Probably someone's oversized Golden Retriever or Yellow Lab, workin the compost piles:razz:

Bowzone_Mikey
04-02-2008, 06:27 PM
In my expiriance anyway .. it really depends upon which map you are looking at to determine boundry in some instances .... 'spcecilly when there is no defined natural(ie: river) or landmark(ie: road etc...)...if you really want them park critters ... Then i would suggest investing in a good GPS and and up to date software and landmark those boundrys on your gps .... and get as close as you can without goin over ... and wait ... best do it before GOS as then when the first BOOM of the year them critters know whats safe zone ...

greybark
04-02-2008, 09:09 PM
8-) Hey BZM , Sumas Mtn is a bow only area so no hunt rifle booms and when there years ago the boundry was marked !!
Cheers

ElectricDyck
04-03-2008, 06:20 AM
and when there years ago the boundry was marked !!

What am I looking for? I did see some metal tagged trees, I should have paid more attention, but when I was up there I was under the impression the park zone was just around the lake.

boxhitch
04-03-2008, 07:02 AM
The regional district office should have a detailed map, and the surveyed lines should have gps coordinates, I believe. Just make sure your gps is setup to use the same grid system.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-03-2008, 06:09 PM
8-) Hey BZM , Sumas Mtn is a bow only area so no hunt rifle booms and when there years ago the boundry was marked !!
Cheers

Ya .. i dont know the area at all ... Never been there ... Bow only you say huh ... Might hafta make a trip

greybark
04-03-2008, 09:14 PM
8-) Hey BZM , If planing a trip here give me a pm.

Cheers

Nails
04-26-2008, 08:51 PM
My son said there have been a couple of different bears hanging around his College (SPC) the last couple of weeks. He said one was of good size.

ElectricDyck
04-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Where is that? Is that near Sumas Mountain?

Nails
04-30-2008, 09:40 PM
I hope i'm right, sumas mountian has old clayburn road running along the west side of it. SPC is Summit Pacific College is at old clayburn and straton road.

ElectricDyck
05-01-2008, 06:11 AM
I hope i'm right, sumas mountian has old clayburn road running along the west side of it. SPC is Summit Pacific College is at old clayburn and straton road. 04-26-2008 11:11 PM

Interesting. I'd imagine they've moved up now to get away from people. In the last week it's greened up to about 1000 ft elevation. We've seen bear sign on our weekly hike to chadsey lake.

kebes
11-13-2009, 01:04 AM
I know this hasn't been posted on forever....but I go to Summit, getting married this summer and she's got a year of school left so my hunting will have to be fairly local. I figure walking a click from the room is fairly convenient. How far from the school is this park? I didn't even know there was one.

xtremearchery
11-13-2009, 02:32 PM
I was doing some hiking on Sumas mountain and saw some encouraging deer sign. I went home and looked at the special area hunting map and noticed that there is a few sections of the mountain which are labeled as regional park land. I look in the regs and it says that there is no hunting in these areas.
My question is how do you tell where you are, the map shows no landmarks to relate your position to. Any help is appreciated.
I have hunted that area for years, and you are right. There are very few markers to be found. Stay clear of the lake and it's surrounding areas. On the mtn as a whole, thats really the only spot that is well marked. Other than the north side trans canada trail.

xtremearchery
11-13-2009, 02:36 PM
8-) Hey BZM , If planing a trip here give me a pm.

Cheers
Hey Greybark! Don't be giving intel to outsiders...lol See ya in rock creek.

xtremearchery
11-13-2009, 02:40 PM
I know this hasn't been posted on forever....but I go to Summit, getting married this summer and she's got a year of school left so my hunting will have to be fairly local. I figure walking a click from the room is fairly convenient. How far from the school is this park? I didn't even know there was one.
the other side of the mtn. north side facing deroche. You're fine up at the college. lots of deer up there. went to school there my self in 1993. woke up to nice bucks every am in front on my dorm. PM me and we'll go out. I know a couple spots up there, but because i'm not on campus anymore, i don't have access.

MikeH
12-05-2009, 05:14 PM
I want to check out Sumas also. already got one with the bow very lose to home:mrgreen:.Can I come?I still trying to figure out what road to take to get to the river side.any info would be awesome.

VirgilOfTheWoods
05-24-2017, 11:22 PM
Any bow hunters with experience on Sumas? New to bow hunting (and hunting in general); looking to scout closer to home (and like to hike). Only started last season around Helmer, ate a few Grouse (and tag soup for my Muley tag)