PDA

View Full Version : Turkeys in Rock creek?

sfire436
04-01-2008, 06:40 PM
I will be heading up Rock creek for the turkey opener. Tried turkeys late sason in the EK and got skunked. Anyone have any sucsess in the area? (rock creek) Send me a PM if you can.

Thanks , Nick!

3kills
04-01-2008, 08:39 PM
i have never hunted them there but i know a guy that lives there and he told me he always sees them on the powerlines...maybe try there??

hunter1947
04-02-2008, 02:25 AM
Every other year I see turkeys just outside rock creek ,but never have hunted for them in that area.

sfire436
04-02-2008, 07:29 AM
Hey, I was planning on going with my father but he can't come along now...........anyone wanna try thier hand at turkey hunting? Opener is on the 15th. I will be their 14th, 15th, 16th. home on 17th.

358mag
04-02-2008, 07:08 PM
good luck check out the Kettle River Pub just off the junction for Hwy3 + Hwy 33 , lots of Turkeys and maybe even a few "cougars" hanging out there . Hwy 33 might look like the Port Mann Bridge at rush hour going to be lots of hunters up there come opening day just like the late season Whitetail season have fun play safe watch out for the 2 legged turkeys as they carry shotguns !!

ruger#1
04-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Make sure you take a turkey call. Hunt around watering holes. And keep your eyes and ears open. They also roost in trees at night. If you have an owl call it is good for a locater and best of all have fun and good luck.

Rubicon500
04-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Be carefull if you take a turkey call the Ethics Police on HBC will jump on your nuts saying its unfair and unethical to Trick a poor bird like that.
Brambles I would keep your Electronic Turkey decoy on the down low with Willy on here. He will say something like " A real Turkey hunter would not use such a unethical device" :-P

sfire436
04-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Haha, I've heard of ole willy!

Brambles
04-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Brambles I would keep your Electronic Turkey decoy on the down low with Willy on here. He will say something like " A real Turkey hunter would not use such a unethical device" :-P

It just moves, it doesn't make any sounds. I bought a bajillion turkey calls last week and am feverishly learning all the sounds all over again, amazing what a guy forgets from year to year

happygilmore
04-03-2008, 08:59 AM
they answer to crow calls. drive, walk around and call then listen, when you hear goble, goble. keep calling. easy right?

Brambles
04-03-2008, 09:19 AM
they answer to crow calls. drive, walk around and call then listen, when you hear goble, goble. keep calling. easy right?

Oh yeah, just that easy.

The crow call is a shocker, allows you to locate them, don't figure on them coming in to that call though. Gotta sweet talk them with some girly talk.

eastkoot
04-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Ethical or not, just drive around, stop, ant toot your car horn... They will answer.. Folks in the EK all have car horns wired onto their quads for turkey season.. Not me but some do!!

MattB
04-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Id rather track a turkey than call a turkey, seems more ethical to me.

115 or bust
04-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Almost ran a turkey over on the highway on my way home today.

browningboy
04-03-2008, 05:44 PM
All this talk about turkey in the bud capital of the interior makes me want to get into it, maybey have to think about a family get away shortly, wheres better, conkle, beaverdale, taurus lake, back side of the fair grounds??8)

mark
04-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Just a reminder to any lucky turkey hunters, when yer dressing yer bird, be sure to leave a wing and beard attached, my buddy got a friendly reminder from a CO last year, and CO's patrol BIGTIME in the turkey spots!

browningboy
04-03-2008, 08:48 PM
To the experienced, how do you keep it (from spoiling?) as the season gets warm, cooler and ice? and whats the average dressed weight? and last few questions, are they good or tough? What type of bird are you looking for when choosing strictly for the dinner table?

boxhitch
04-03-2008, 10:20 PM
CO's patrol BIGTIME in the turkey spots!That'll work !! Just follow the truck with lights on top.

mark
04-04-2008, 06:49 AM
BB we took our first birdup the road into the snowline and burried it in a snowbank, then got another within hours and went home. Id guess a younger one would taste better, they taste like a normal turkey with a little wild flavor but much tougher. Made an excellent turkey soup though!

Rackmastr
04-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Dangit!! All this turkey talk has got me thinking we'll head out again from Alberta....

We didnt do as well as we wanted to last year, but got a few birds on the ground. Might try a newer area and see if we can find some more birds.....a bit further south than where we started.....

Fun hunting for sure!

happygilmore
04-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Just a reminder to any lucky turkey hunters, when yer dressing yer bird, be sure to leave a wing and beard attached, my buddy got a friendly reminder from a CO last year, and CO's patrol BIGTIME in the turkey spots!

They didn't bother us they just wanted to see the beards for every bird we had we had them dressed bagged and frozen. maybe we were lucky. the CO's are thicker than flies though stopped 4times in 5 days.
First two toms we came across were under a tree with two crows in it and we couldn't get them to come as long as the crows kept talking.

Mckinney Creek Adventures
04-05-2008, 10:23 AM
Turkeys are really starting to move here in Rock Creek area. My wife and I have been seeing large heards of them in the last few weeks. We have a heards of 6 birds coming into the yard on a regular basis. I have had mine all picked out for two months now. Gonna get it from the hot tub! Send me an email for some pictures.

MCA

Please check us out at www.mckinneycreek.com (http://www.mckinneycreek.com).

Mckinney Creek Adventures
04-06-2008, 08:05 AM
The turkeys are getting into the swing of things here now. I was woken up this morning by a gobbler. Can u say "Turkey Fever". I poped out of bed and looked out the bedroom window to see 12-15 birds with a big tom standing closest to us watching the others. The hens were talking away and the gobbler would let loose every 20-30 seconds...... 9 more sleeps!

MCA

huntwriter
04-06-2008, 08:30 AM
Id rather track a turkey than call a turkey, seems more ethical to me.

You’re also likely to get shot that way, especially if there are other hunters in the area. Besides stalking a eagle-eyed-paranoid turkey is near impossible. Sitting with the back against a large tree trunk and calling a bird is not only safer but also a lot of fun.

huntwriter
04-06-2008, 08:41 AM
sfire436 – Lots of good information here for you.;)
I would like to add to all the good advice given here that you are better off using a crow call as a locater. Crows are everywhere and wont spook a tom as some of the other calls suggest here. The funny thing with turkeys is that there is no way to know if you spooked them, unless you actually see them, as they will keep quiet in the roosting tree.