PDA

View Full Version : LEH tag advice

tikkat3
03-31-2008, 11:40 PM
Hey guys, I am entering into my 3rd year of hunting, and have yet to bag anything bigger than grouse. I helped my buddy carry out a nice 5x6 mulie in '06, that is as close as I've gotten yet.;-)

Everyone tells me to put in for LEH tags as they seem to have better luck with that than general open season, but I don't know where to begin...

How does it all work? Do I pick the WMU I want to hunt in, then pick the animal, or what? I haven't done it yet I am a little unnerved by the whole process.

I am willing to go almost anywhere, and hunt almost anything. I'm not a trophy hunter yet as I am pretty green, I just like game meat. Especially moose and elk! I am in good shape and do a lot of hiking when I hunt, have a quad, bla bla bla.

So I guess I'm looking for some tips, ie. where to get an LEH tag to get some deer, moose, or elk this year. I'm also going to hunt GOS as well, 4 points and better, and all that good stuff.

Thanks!

hunter1947
04-01-2008, 03:54 AM
Just go to your local store that Selle's the LEH tags ,pick up the regs ,then fill in the zone hunt cods on your LEH cards that you paid for. The sample on how to do this is on the second page ,all is explained in the regs ,you should not have a problem. You can only apply for one species fer tag or your card will be terminated. The only two draws your allowed to put in for more then once is the sheep and elk special draw ,good luck.

3kills
04-01-2008, 05:01 AM
what area are u in...that makes it easier on trying to help u figure out what u should put in for leh

tikkat3
04-01-2008, 10:15 AM
I live in the Fraser Valley

I guess it's easy then. Are the species and classes/sex/ages listed on the leh card? Or do you just pick for example, you want a whitetail doe in xx wmu, and hope that comes up? Can you put in for a range of wmus, in case the first one that you pick doesn't have any animals to hunt, so you can go to one that maybe has what you are looking for?

I am pretty green, and I find it confusing, I guess I'm supposed to know exactly where a spike fork moose is going to be, then put in for that draw, and hope it comes up then?

What about the big provincial parks, are you allowed to hunt in those?

Thanks again for the quick replies, I think it's right around now that I'm supposed to apply for my leh tags, so knowledge is power.

04-01-2008, 10:23 AM

I guess it's easy then. Are the species and classes/sex/ages listed on the leh card? Or do you just pick for example, you want a whitetail doe in xx wmu, and hope that comes up? Can you put in for a range of wmus, in case the first one that you pick doesn't have any animals to hunt, so you can go to one that maybe has what you are looking for?

I am pretty green, and I find it confusing, I guess I'm supposed to know exactly where a spike fork moose is going to be, then put in for that draw, and hope it comes up then?

Thanks again for the quick replies, I think it's right around now that I'm supposed to apply for my leh tags, so knowledge is power.

Why bother with LEH, take a week off work and drive out to the East Kootenay, hunt south of Cranbrook and you guys will kill some deer, maybe even an elk. If you really want to go LEH apply for one of the antlerless elk hunts anyplace in the East Kootenay. Go where the game is!

Ron.C
04-01-2008, 10:40 AM
I agree with 6616, Hit the east Koots, south of Cranbrook for a great chance at some deer and elk. Lots of animals and if your not worried about a trophy, it's pretty easy to cut a whitetail deer tag there. As for the LEH, use the link below, go to the LEH site. The LEH regs give all the information you need including explaining how the whole thing works. good luck.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/leh.html

MichelD
04-01-2008, 02:29 PM
It does seem a little intimidating at first.

I was even reluctant to start waterfowling her in the LM becasue the Fraser Valley regulations looked so complicated.

Have a look at the LEH regs synopsis. (maybe the previous one is still on line).

The hunts you can apply for have a hunt code number, then the Management unit is listed, then a zone if the whole MU isn't open for that species, then the date the hunt occurs, the class of animal (cow, calf or doe or bull) the number of authorizations available and the first choice odds the year before.

Go here:http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/leh.html#Synopsis

Now go to page six.

A the very top you will see the first hunt offered.

It is a Bull only Bison hunt offered October1 to 31 in 7-57 , with 15 authorizations available. The odds the previous year were 213.2 to One

Don't be discouraged. That is a very desireable hunt. If you look in the next column you will see some Vancouver Island elk hunts for much lower odds than that.

And if you flip through and look at Whitetail doe and Mule Deer doe hunts you'll se darn near gauranteed odds in some selections there.

Where to go?

Well, that is where experience and friends come in.

Most people apply in areas where they saw lots of does last year for example, or a group knows a particular area is good for moose so they always apply there. Some guys really want a trophy Vancouver Island bull elk so they apply every year for one there.

If you like game meat more than bragging, then applying for a cow elk tag on Vancouver Island gets you better odds than a bull tag.

Watch this site, ask for advice around LEH time.

Sometimes just a question like :

'I see the odds in managment unit 4 - xx look really good, does anyone here have any experience there?'

Might get you a private message giving you some pretty good advice.

Good luck.

MOWITCH SLAYER
04-01-2008, 03:38 PM
Applying for LEH hunts gives you a chance on hunts that do not have a ROS . Like goat , sheep , griz. and lots more. I like to pick up the reg. sheets and look over all the hunts and thier odd's. Read all the rules and info close, a little oop's and your entry is toast. Once i have looked over all the hunts i figure how many cards i'll need and hope for the best. I have had good results with group or shared hunts. I don't alway's get one but we have had some great hunts in places and times where it seemed we had the whole mountian to our selves . GOOD LUCK !

hunter1947
04-02-2008, 02:44 AM

Thanks again for the quick replies, I think it's right around now that I'm supposed to apply for my LEH tags, so knowledge is power. If you do chose to fill out some LEH tags ,I would fill out one for cow elk in the EK ,your chances of coming home with some meat are good ,and at the same time you will proubly get a whitetail deer and maybe a mule deer. If you see a bull elk that is a 6 point then shot it but buy shooting a bull you won't be able to use the LEH tag on a cow ,reason being is that your only alowed one elk of ether sex in the GOS ,but you will have a chance at ether a cow or a bull ,you increase your chances of coming home with some meat if you get the LEH draw for a cow.

tikkat3
04-02-2008, 09:28 PM
thanks for all the great replies guys this site rocks!