PDA

View Full Version : Moose hunt

Angel
03-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Just looking for some advise. i was hoping to do a couple nice long huntis this year and was looking for something new. I have not had a chance to do much moose hunting and I thought this would be a great time to start. I am not so worried about the distants just looking for anyone who might know a good place to start. I usually hunt the clinton, rock creek area and we havent seen much besides deer and goat and sheep. I have some friends who say that Princton is a good spot? Thanks for any advise.

Thunderstix
03-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Prince George area is good. Lots of logging roads etc to travel and camp on. You can go up to Dease Lake area as lots of moose up that way with a fairly liberal season last time I looked.

killman
03-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Nope, no moose here.:mrgreen:

Jelvis
03-30-2008, 04:26 PM
If I was hunting moose and lived in the lower mainland where would I go? One if I wanted a moose real bad I would go for an leh draw for any bull or cow/ calf. I would go for an early draw no later than early November. I would go for an area fairly close to the lower mainland so I wouldn't have to drive more than six hours so about 300 miles at the most. Region 3 or region 5 would be good so go for a leh draw in those regions. If you don't get draw than spike/fork bull moose in Reg 3 around a radius of Logan Lake area. If you want to drive for at least a long day than go for just south of Prince George area around Willow River apply for leh. good luck. Jeldraw

Blainer
03-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Dawson creek or Ft. St. John area.
Season opens August 15
I harvest one every year up north.
If you want moose,you gotta go where the moose are.

Bighorn hunter
03-30-2008, 06:16 PM
whoa up there Blainer, theres no moose in the dawson area

Comshel
03-30-2008, 08:36 PM
If it's a nice long hunt, check out Finger Lake Resort several management areas to hunt.

hunter1947
03-31-2008, 03:54 AM
Get some area maps of Hudson Hope. You head outside of the town of Hudson Hope towards Fort ST John about 5 kl . There is a road named Farrow creek main line turn left there then head in to the 40kl mark any place past that 40 mark is good hunting for moose ,you can carry on right on up to butler ridge which is the 70kl mark. Hunt there sometime the last two weeks of Aug ,it is open for any bull moose carrying antlers. I found that the bugs are not that bad at this time ,not for me anyways. But take a few cans of off to be safe.

mntman
03-31-2008, 04:10 AM
Dawson creek or Ft. St. John area.
Season opens August 15
I harvest one every year up north.
If you want moose,you gotta go where the moose are.

you can't beat the season up north,the aug 15 season, and the generl season after with a very good population of spikers and tri palms

give me a pm and i can give you some good areas where to start

4 point
03-31-2008, 04:04 PM
In Region 3 heck there is hardly a tree left. On a more serious note we used to go up north to many different places over the years. Our group always took moose, sometimes caribou, sheep & goat as well. Depended on what type of hunt it was. All with no guides or outfitters. Some fly in and walk, jet boat or just truck it. If you have the time & desire there still up there. Anytime mid August to late September was best time we found to go.

oddsix
03-31-2008, 04:09 PM
Princeton doesn't have many moose but they arent rare either. But there isn't anything compared to farther up north. But we got this guy in '07.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj203/oddsix/HPIM5007.jpg

Angel
04-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks everyone for the great replies and pm's I really appreciate it. Its great to see that people are willing to help and not keep there tips to themselves. Thanks again and any further info would be great.