PDA

View Full Version : East Kootenay Black Bears

riflebuilder
03-30-2008, 01:11 PM
I am getting ready for bear season to open. The perfect excuse for a good drive in the mountains. Just woundering when most of you start seeing Blackies?

Trapper
03-30-2008, 01:30 PM
usually the middle to the end of may is the best time

Kody94
03-30-2008, 02:13 PM
In the mountian valleys (like the main side drainages off of the Elk and Flathead rivers), I usually plan on the last two weeks of May, first week of June, as primetime. Have had luck earlier in low snow years, and late snows have resulted in May being pretty slow. But on average, the last two weeks of May are pretty hot. Bears are out, and the slides, riparian areas, roadsides and cutblocks are just greening up. In June, spot and stalk is sometimes a little tougher as everything is green and the bears more spread out. Still prime-time for hounds though!

Cheers,
4ster

model88
03-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Like SSSSter said, last 2 weeks May, first week of June. Look for south facing slopes greening up. Once everything is getting green it makes things that much tougher.

blaker_99
03-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Hey just wondering if you woud reccomend any general areas for spot and stalk hunt with compound bow? We have done a lot of archery bear hunting here in the Okanagan but my brother and I are eager to take a nice blackie with our compounds. Thanks a lot guys and if anyone is interested in coming up this way PM me and we'll talk areas etc cheers.

.308win
03-30-2008, 08:21 PM
From about the second week of May is usually when I start to see good Bear numbers.

Perry

hunter1947
03-31-2008, 03:57 AM
I have seen black bears right now when out in the lower elevations. But the best time when they are all out would be the first to second week of may.