PDA

View Full Version : deer ticks

bearheart
03-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Looking at those dry country sheep pictures got me thinking about last summers hiking/scoutingtrips in the west Kootenays. What do you guys do to protect yourself from deer ticks. I would come back to my camp inthe afternoon and often find one or two on my leg or pants,I started spraying off on my socks and pants. Any other suggestions?

Jelvis
03-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Tuck your pant leg bottoms into your socks, tuck your shirt in your belt wear long sleeves shirt and wear light color clothes so you can see the little suckers. Wear a hat too cause that seems to be where you notice them first for some reason. Jeltickon

Chuck
03-30-2008, 09:49 AM
I don't know anybody who doesn't get the willies just thinking about those nasty little bugs. Other than not going out but waiting till later in their season when they are less abundant, I think the previous post along with spray is about the only way to go imo, and of course have a good look everywhere when you get back home.

bearheart
03-30-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets creeped out by the little b#$#@ds!

Pete
03-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Myself and my partner are currently working the Hwys project at Summerland. My work requires that we hike up and down the mountain face through the Sage brush everyday. The ticks are just thick. Not a day goes by where we are not picking them off us and believe me we are getting very parinoid about anything that crawls on us. We are using DEET as well as making sure that our pants have either elastic in the bottoms or are tucked in. We also are trying to use shirts and jackets with collars on them as the ticks seem to migrate to this spot and stay there. In speaking with one of the site Bio. he said that one of their folks pulled over 20 off of him in one day. Now doesn't that make your skin just crawl.

OOBuck
03-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Those sideways walkin freaks !!! I always have a hot shower after hunting they don't like the hot water for some reason...

Angel
03-30-2008, 03:36 PM
they are nasty little buggers thats for sure... I always get that gitters when i see them. Do deer ticks have any effect on the deers meat or otehr animals?

Pete
03-30-2008, 04:14 PM
they are nasty little buggers thats for sure... I always get that gitters when i see them. Do deer ticks have any effect on the deers meat or otehr animals?
Hi Angel
If you go on to youtube to the National Geograpic website for Mar. 8 there is a video called titans of the north which is a video on Moose and Ticks. Warning .......it is very grapic

Angel
03-30-2008, 05:57 PM
Hi Angel
If you go on to youtube to the National Geograpic website for Mar. 8 there is a video called titans of the north which is a video on Moose and Ticks. Warning .......it is very grapic

hhmmm.... maybe I'll pass. But would you eat deer or moose that had ticks in or on it??

Jelvis
03-30-2008, 06:53 PM
Every deer and moose have ticks. Some moose have thousands some deer hundreds. When you skin a deer in early season and sometimes in winter when you hang it you can hear the ticks dropping off in some cases. The meat is still edible. The deer might be skinnier than normal tho if it is from an area that was loaded with ticks. Ticks go right into the ears of deer you can see them. Ticks also go on domestic cattle. They need to suck blood to survive, a parasite lives off other mammals blood. Jeltick

Dannybuoy
03-30-2008, 06:53 PM
hhmmm.... maybe I'll pass. But would you eat deer or moose that had ticks in or on it??
I dont know if I ever ate one that Didnt have ticks on it !

BANG!
03-30-2008, 07:04 PM
I bet you wouldn't eat the one in the video...... :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsd2i-qFHK4

(that's just nasty!) :eek:

Dannybuoy
03-30-2008, 07:26 PM
I bet you wouldn't eat the one in the video...... :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsd2i-qFHK4

(that's just nasty!) :eek:
Yeah you would win that bet ! I didnt even watch the whole video , YUCK

quadrakid
03-30-2008, 09:00 PM
if you ever get a tick bite that gives you a strange sort of rash,like a bullseye shape get to a doctor. lymes disease is nothing to take lightly.

Dannybuoy
03-30-2008, 09:05 PM
if you ever get a tick bite that gives you a strange sort of rash,like a bullseye shape get to a doctor. lymes disease is nothing to take lightly.
Thats for sure! I've only ever had one chomp into me and that was in my own backyard , never had one bite into me while hiking or hunting or come off a deer . That was more than 10 years ago and I went to the walk in and the doc gave me antibiotics just to be safe ....

Pete
03-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Though we do not have a high incidence of lyme disease in the province it is one diaease that you really want to pay attention to. I was giving a survival lecture in Quesnel earlier this year when one of my students related to the class how he was bitten by a tick and the symptoms did not appear for almost a year after he was bitten. Typical rash, general not feeling well etc. Over the course of the next year he developed cronic fatigue disease, crohn's disease like symptoms, Bell's palsy and a faliure of his bodies immune system. He will be sufferng with this and taking medication to counteract the effect of this tick bite for the rest of his life.

bsa30-06
03-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Though we do not have a high incidence of lyme disease in the province it is one diaease that you really want to pay attention to. I was giving a survival lecture in Quesnel earlier this year when one of my students related to the class how he was bitten by a tick and the symptoms did not appear for almost a year after he was bitten. Typical rash, general not feeling well etc. Over the course of the next year he developed cronic fatigue disease, crohn's disease like symptoms, Bell's palsy and a faliure of his bodies immune system. He will be sufferng with this and taking medication to counteract the effect of this tick bite for the rest of his life.

I know what those crohn's disease symptoms are like , my wife has crohns it is a nasty disease, wouldnt wish those symptoms on my worst enemy, better safe then sorry when it comes to tick bites.

hunter1947
03-31-2008, 03:41 AM
I try and avoid the thick stuff. When I get back to my camp or home I take my clothing off and check for ticks. Keeping a hat on and tucking in your clothing will help as well.

Pete
03-31-2008, 05:38 AM
I try and avoid the thick stuff. When I get back to my camp or home I take my clothing off and check for ticks. Keeping a hat on and tucking in your clothing will help as well.

Unfortunately for us on this project we have to be in the thick stuff, in the gullys and in the sage brush. We are up and down and through some pretty thick stuff all day. It makes you much more aware of what is on you. We do find that using a good insect repellant works to a good degree but we are also tucking in as much as possible. We both wear a cargo type pant that has elastic on the bottom and fit tight to the boot or your sock. We notice that most of the ticks are on our outer wear, or in one case under my partmers hat,it makes the drive home very interesting.