PDA

View Full Version : Back Packing Stove!

.308win
03-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Not sure how many times this has been asked....But, Be it a day out shed hunting or a two week back pack hunt, whats your fav. stove/fuel combo? Want to get one but want somthing good, any experienced packers have a sugestion? Thanks!

Perry

Brambles
03-28-2008, 06:39 PM
I just bought a Snowpeaks Gigapower with the solo Titanium pot set, can't get much lighter unless you go with RB's pop can alcohol jobbie.

Stove, pot, cup and fuel canister all fit together and weigh 1lb.

Haven't gotten it yet but the reviews are good.

Poguebilt
03-28-2008, 06:48 PM
msr wisperlite

HD95
03-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Msr Whisperlite

Kechika
03-28-2008, 06:53 PM
Pocket Rocket

Phil
03-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Optimus Nova

Trailmaster
03-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Primus/Isobutane, works in the cold, and works in elevation.

bigwhiteys
03-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Jetboil... If you're eating freeze dried, soups, oatmeal etc... There is nothing better. I've tried others. Order it on eBay.

Stove & Fuel for 10 days is just over 1lb. The 1 liter pot is built into the stove... Boils water out of a cool mountain creek in about 3-4 minutes. No priming or messing around... Twist lock the Stove to the Gas. Turn the gas knob and push the piezo lighter and you're cooking. It's got marks inside for measuring portions etc... and the cap for the stove is actually a 250ml cup as well.

Carl

Kody94
03-28-2008, 08:09 PM
I have used an MSR Whisperlight for years, and it has served me well.

I have also used a "Ridley's Idiot Stove" for a lot of years too. Its just a version of the alcohol/fondue fuel popcan/tin can stove. It also worked well.

I recently picked up an MSR Pocket Rocket. Haven't used it on a trip yet, but am very impressed with it so far, having fooled around with it a bit at home. It sure is light and compact!

Cheers,
4ster

boxhitch
03-28-2008, 08:59 PM
3 Lb coffee can with door cutout on side and grill holes in one end, and pine cones or small girly wood for fire.

Smokepole
03-28-2008, 09:07 PM
MSR Whisperlite.

270WIN
03-28-2008, 10:37 PM
i to have the jet boil i have not tried it much other then heating bottle last year at the ball fild for my 3 month old seemed to work great. my alpine hunt last year was put on hold but i will be putting the stove to the test in a few weeks i hope

BCrams
03-28-2008, 11:42 PM
msr whisperlite international

One Shot
03-29-2008, 01:37 AM
I use an Optimus Nova and Nova+. They will burn any liquid that burns.

kootenayelkslayer
03-29-2008, 03:08 AM
Jetboil... If you're eating freeze dried, soups, oatmeal etc... There is nothing better. I've tried others. Order it on eBay.

Stove & Fuel for 10 days is just over 1lb. The 1 liter pot is built into the stove... Boils water out of a cool mountain creek in about 3-4 minutes. No priming or messing around... Twist lock the Stove to the Gas. Turn the gas knob and push the piezo lighter and you're cooking. It's got marks inside for measuring portions etc... and the cap for the stove is actually a 250ml cup as well.

Carl

I've heard good things about the jetboil, I might try to pick one of those up. Hard to find a dealer in Canada though.

kennyj
03-29-2008, 05:59 AM
MSR wisperlite for close to 20 years.
Kenny

ruttinbuck
03-29-2008, 06:57 AM
I just bought a Snowpeaks Gigapower with the solo Titanium pot set, can't get much lighter unless you go with RB's pop can alcohol jobbieb
The pepsi can stove has served me very well.I have only used it on short outings though and don't know about longer than a few days where you can get away with 500ml of fuel on board.Boils water and cooks for 8 mins on about 40ml of alcohol. RB

cwocarsten
03-29-2008, 07:01 AM
MSR Wisperlite

Deaddog
03-29-2008, 07:11 AM
msr whisperlite

dana
03-29-2008, 08:08 AM
I ran a Coleman Apex for over 15 years. I was very impressed with it. Last summer it finally bit the dust so I picked up a Coleman Exponent (looks to be an updated version of the Peak). Thus far I've got mixed feelings about it. I've had leakage the odd time and have also had the value open while in my pack. I haven't spent any time looking at it as to why. Might need some tweakin or might be a design flaw.
I think I might pick up a Jetboil this summer. From what I've read they are great for boiling water which works well for any food that you just have to add water too. They are not a stove for cooking with though. Thus the reason I bought the Exponent.

Spitzer
03-29-2008, 08:31 AM
MSR Whisperlite international with the Trillium stove base.

bigwhiteys
03-29-2008, 09:05 AM
I've heard good things about the jetboil, I might try to pick one of those up. Hard to find a dealer in Canada though.

You won't find a dealer in Canada as the Jetboil doesn't meet CSA standards. I paid $99.00 for mine on eBay. It came with an extra cooking cup and a small canister of fuel. MSR has come out with something similar called the Reactor but it's a little bit bulkier then the Jet. Although probably works just as well.

I think I might pick up a Jetboil this summer. From what I've read they are great for boiling water which works well for any food that you just have to add water too. They are not a stove for cooking with though. Thus the reason I bought the Exponent.

Definitely not a good stove for actually "cooking" something... The efficiency with the Jetboil is in their unique cooking cup with the aluminum fins on the bottom to evenly distribute the heat. I have tried cooking with the pot attachment and it sucks... You lose all the heat and fuel efficiency. For anything freezedried, soups, oatmeals, hot drinks there is truly nothing better.

I have friends with the whisperlite and we've run them side by side... The jetboil uses less fuel, boils quite a bit faster and is easier to run IMO.

Carl

StoneChaser
03-29-2008, 09:14 AM
MSR Whisperlite Intl, while not the fanciest or lightest stove on the market, but a damn reliable stove, I love mine.

Best feature is using plastic pop bottles to carry extra fuel...I burn 'em when I'm done.

Beats packing empty metal fuel canisters in my pack.

pupper
03-29-2008, 09:29 AM
I use a brunton raptor with isobutane gas, it is really light/small. Like the size of a lighter when its folded up.
http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/images/userimages//Cooking%20in%20the%20alpine.jpg.thumb.jpg

Krico
03-29-2008, 02:53 PM
Best feature is using plastic pop bottles to carry extra fuel...I burn 'em when I'm done.

Beats packing empty metal fuel canisters in my pack.

I have done this too, works well.

I use an MSR Simmerlite.

Also have a Camping Gaz cannister stove which works awesome, but the fuel cannisters have become impossible to find:icon_frow. If anyone knows where to find some please let me know.

Sprig
03-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Used the MSR Whisperlite for 12 to 15 years. Just bought the Brunton flex stove . Absolutely love it , 3 oz. and folds into the bottom of the isobutane cannister. Supper small and ultra light ,gotta love that .

.308win
03-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Thanks guys! looks like most guys like the MSR whisperlite! How long will the MSR fuel canister(8oz) last? Haven't done any real long hiking outings yet, Thinging that one would only cook 1 real meal aday(supper) or am I wrong?

Perry

Trailmaster
03-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Is this the fuel canister your looking for?
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444262 5386&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302696497&bmUID=1206850463093

harder rd
03-30-2008, 08:54 AM
Primus/Isobutane. 8)
I have had problems with this one in the cold. anything under 0 and the fuel seemd to not burn well . I do not know if it is just my unit or all of them . But it dose work well in the summer. stove is light and compact and will boil a liter of water in no time.

Sikanni Stalker
03-30-2008, 10:39 AM
I just bought a Snowpeaks Gigapower with the solo Titanium pot set, can't get much lighter unless you go with RB's pop can alcohol jobbie.

Stove, pot, cup and fuel canister all fit together and weigh 1lb.

Haven't gotten it yet but the reviews are good.

Just curious to know how much cooking time you get with a cannister?

ryanb
03-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Thanks guys! looks like most guys like the MSR whisperlite! How long will the MSR fuel canister(8oz) last? Haven't done any real long hiking outings yet, Thinging that one would only cook 1 real meal aday(supper) or am I wrong?

Perry

How long it last depends largely on what you're using it for. If you boil the absolute minimum water only to make your tea/rehydrate your freezedried food ONLY, it should last 10 days or so. If you're like me though, and like to cook sometimes, maybe only 5 days....

budismyhorse
04-01-2008, 08:13 AM
wow, it is scary when no one else is using the gear you swear by.

I can't believe I am the only person (unless I missed one) who is using a MSR SuperFly. It has been great for me!

It is light, small and folds down in to nothing. 25cups boiled per cannister, so one in your bag and one in your partners and your laughing for a 10 day trip.

Maybe I am off base with this stove....

boxhitch
04-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Coffee can Hobo Stove (tm) !!
Nest three cans together, one-3lb, one-2lb, and one-1lb, covers all chores. Add some haywire bails, for handling and hanging. Store in the leg of a old pair of jeans, folded between each, to keep from rattling.

Yeah, and don't handle when hot (see disclaimer) :)

Brambles
04-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Just curious to know how much cooking time you get with a cannister?

haven't got it yet but apparently a 250 gram fuel canister will provide 90 minutes of 10,000 btu flame.

3.5 minutes per liter = over 25 liters of water

Thats a lot of water

Krico
04-02-2008, 10:45 PM
wow, it is scary when no one else is using the gear you swear by.

I can't believe I am the only person (unless I missed one) who is using a MSR SuperFly. It has been great for me!

It is light, small and folds down in to nothing. 25cups boiled per cannister, so one in your bag and one in your partners and your laughing for a 10 day trip.

Maybe I am off base with this stove....

Nothing to worry about. MSR makes great gear8).

It's boring to have the same as everyone else anyways:wink:

Flinch
04-03-2008, 09:07 AM
I got a Superfly last year and it has worked well, but I have only had it out a few times. No problems at freezing temps, but have not tried it in really cold yet. I also have a whisperlite, and they are a bit of a pain with the priming and all, but they are tried and true.

springpin
04-03-2008, 09:27 AM
MSR whisperlite, I have had mine for about 15yrs, and never had a problem.