PDA

View Full Version : How to convince them!*

GrandA
03-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Alright so here is my situation. Since I have been young my parents raised me in a very liberal fashion. However, there were two rules:

A) You cannot get a motorbike (I got one 2 years ago - they were pissed)
B) You cannot have a gun in the house

So my new years resolution this year was to get my C.O.R.E and Firearms License. I recently passed the Safety Course Non Restricted and am almost finished the C.O.R.E course.

Now, I have tried to convince my parents and sister (who is sort of turning into a greenpeace left winger) that hunters are the main reason we still have wildlife in BC. I tried - the game meat is the healthiest organic meat around. They still haven't budget on the idea. I thought I would try my best to portray the "pros" of hunting before I come home with a deer and give them more grey hairs.

Your suggestions please - (moving out isn't an option right now either!)

trapperdan2061
03-28-2008, 05:46 PM
how about a bow or crossbow as a option or store the gun at a bud's place.

tracker
03-28-2008, 05:46 PM
git r done !!!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

make sure you take pic's of your familys faces when you bring that big buck home for the first time,its a big world out there,if everyone was the same it sure would be boring:rolleyes:

trapperdan2061
03-28-2008, 05:47 PM
Maybe if your close to me I could help out?

rishu_pepper
03-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Above all, get their approval before getting the gun/hunt. You don't want to piss them off and lose their trust by doing things behind their backs. As much as you probably hate it now, it's their house, their rules, and that doesn't change until/if you move out.

That said, you can show them how safe you are with firearms. Get a gun, show them how it works, how you plan to store it at home, make them feel safe. The hunting part will follow. Can't hunt without a gun :biggrin:

I guess I'm lucky to have approving folks at home. My dad actually wants to join (he's been saying that for months :lol:) while my mom cooks the game meat and sometimes shows interest with the guns. My younger brother hates everything about guns/hunting but I couldn't care less what he thinks :roll:

mark
03-28-2008, 06:01 PM
No motorbike???? No guns???? Dude your parents suck! I had both of these at 8 years old!

Shoey
03-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Buy a gun and don't tell them, or, even better, MOVE OUT :)

GrandA
03-28-2008, 06:10 PM
I think the buy and gun and don't tell them option seems to be the best so far he he!

Vader
03-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Did you guys forget that he still lives at home.... First off don't ask them to endorse your paper work on the application or the pic.. won't happen.. Get some like minded buddies to do so.
If you got the friends that are like minded then you should have the means to store a firearm with them.. Too bad you don't have their support on this issue.. makes it tough for a young fella to get started.

Eichelherr
03-28-2008, 06:17 PM
I was in the same situation, liberal, european parents. 2 years ago i wasnt even allowed to have a bb-gun, so i made an greement to get a bb-gun on my 18th birthday, now im almost 20, and have a .300 win mag. Get a compromise they will find hard to refuse, and eventually they'll give in to everything.:biggrin:
________
CBR1000F (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_CBR1000F)

Bullmoose
03-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Can't understand and don't agree with their position, but the one and only issue here is that it's your parents house, nothing else matters.
Their house their rules.

grumpy
03-28-2008, 06:46 PM
you didn`t mention how old you are different options for different ages

Phil
03-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Start sleeping in full camo.

When served store bought meat ask " who killed this beast?"

While watching TV sharpen your knives and test for a sharp edge by shaving the hair off your arms and neck.

Stalk the family pet and laugh like hell when you scare the crapp out of it.

Spray paint your vehicle in camo.

Start building a smoke house in the back yard made from an old fridge or freezer.

Set up a shooting range in the back yard suitable for your weapon of choice.

Put an HBC bumper sticker on all of the family vehicles.

:lol::lol::lol:

Hope this helps. Best of luck! :lol:

mainland hunter
03-28-2008, 06:48 PM
Sounds like he's more interested in finding out to sway their opinion. First I'd want to know what their reasons for opposing hunting are. Do they eat meat? Do they know anything about farming and where their meat comes from. Let them know that hunting is a natural and hands on way to obtain meat while also bringing people closer to nature and the outdoors in a more realistic way than an eco tour could ever do. You're taking part in the killing of an animal is simply taking part in the natural cycle of life in the wilderness that too many people in big cities have gotten a way from. Instead of being a spectator of nature your participating in it and this can only lead to a clearer understanding of the wild places in BC and wildlife that inhabits it. Groups like greenpeace and peta play on peoples emotions and offer a disneylike perspective of wildlife that just isnt real.
I'm glad to see some people from left wing upbringings gaining an interest in hunting

quadrakid
03-28-2008, 06:49 PM
first off surprize them one day by cooking a nice tender moose roast with all the trimmings,potatoes veggies gravy maybe even some yorkshire pudding,perhaps someone on this site can help you with a roast. after they have enjoyed dinner let them know that it was from a moose and you can get 500 lbs of it free this year if you had a rifle. whatever their decision,respect it,it is your house as well as theirs but they get to make the rules.good luck.

island hunter
03-28-2008, 06:55 PM
whle it was a long time ago ,my parents are the same and still to this day.
As far as motorbikes just tell them that your helping buy not buying as much fuel. For the guns and game they will love let them know its what cranks you and you do it because its as primitive as your aloud to get these days.
apart from that ask them if they rather you doing crack or spending hours upon hours in the wild.

go hard mate.

ez.

J_T
03-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Do we know how old you are? There is no way that we can provide much advice without knowing you or your situation. Perhaps they know you have sociapathic tendencies. :cool:

Life is about choices. It's their house, as long as you are under their roof, you are under their rules. Quite simple.

Want to have a gun in the house. can't be done. But, perhaps you can own a gun.

Maybe the compromise is to find a qualified, licensed person you can trust that has appropriate facilities who will keep it under lock and key for you?

Anyway, none of us on here can pass judgement on your parents. They have their position and it should be respected.

Wild one
03-28-2008, 07:02 PM
First off do some research to back everything you tell them and Mainland hunter already said the approch I would use.If that does not work tell them you are going to start smoking crack to pass the time instead of hunting:biggrin:I bet they will even buy you your first gun to stop you.

308BAR
03-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Show them the National Geographics article on "Conserving Hunters". Print out the conservation work that they guys (hunters) are doing in Pitt Meadows. Hunters put there time and/or money not only into hunting but perserving. We want future generations to benefit as well. Sheep society, Elk society, BCWF, Salmon stream rehabitats....the list goes on.

Wildfoot
03-28-2008, 07:18 PM
get someone you know who is a responsible gun owner to take you and your family to the range. maybe once they have tried it, and have witnessed first hand how professional and safe the hunting and shooting community is, their minds will change.

Sideofabarn
03-28-2008, 07:31 PM
I know this story. My parents weren't impressed with me owning firearms in their house, so it was about the first thing I did when I moved out of home. They didn't mind that I had a bow though so maybe try that route. My Wife isn't a fan of guns either, but after she heard about bowhunting bears, she changed her mind. I like the idea of you joining a conservation group. Let your parents know you have a genuine interest in the welfare of animals, rather than just going out in the bush and busting caps at anything that moves. If you know some other hunters, and assuming your family eats meat, get an invite to a house that knows how to cook game. There's not much worse than cooking wild meat if you have no clue how to treat it.

Comshel
03-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Hey GrandA, It sounds little like Mrs. GrandA is worried little GrandA may get hurt. No bike, no guns, can't fault a mother for feeling like that it may take alittle education to help them feel comfortable. Get them on the website, they could ask questions or just read the threads. Don't let them read RCMP ROADBLOCKS that may require some acclimation.

mrdoog
03-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Throw yourself on the floor, wail like a banshee while kicking your feet and pounding your fists.
Or, sit at the kitchen table and threaten to hold your breath until you die.
Stomp around slamming doors.
Leave the room every time your parents enter it.
Be imaginative, there are lots of ways children can try to get parents to change their rules.

Comshel
03-28-2008, 07:48 PM
get someone you know who is a responsible gun owner to take you and your family to the range. maybe once they have tried it, and have witnessed first hand how professional and safe the hunting and shooting community is, their minds will change.
That's probably the best start, maybe Mr. GrandA will take up the sport with you.

threedhunter
03-28-2008, 07:53 PM
there is always the old standby, "we[peaple] have our eyes on the front of our heads because we are predators, not on the side of our heads because we are prey". or the biblical, god gave man dominion over anmals to feed himself.just fuel for the fire,:mrgreen:

Kody94
03-28-2008, 07:54 PM
GrandA,

I actually love hearing stories like yours. It verifies "nature over nurture" and that we are born with a "hunter's heart".

My recommendations for you would depend on your age. Like J_T said, I won't judge your parents by their choices either. We all have a prerogative to bring up our kids as we think is best. That said, however, if you have an interest in hunting, you should definitely explore it.

Joining a conservation club is a great first step.

If you are 18+, acquiring a firearm is your own choice as well. I don't see an issue with doing so, and storing it in a safe place outside of your parents home...perhaps a responsible individual from the conservation club above could help you out with this.

If you are a reader, I also recommend some reading that will help you explain your choices to your parents. "A Hunter's Heart" and "Elk Heart" by David Petersen, "Blood Ties" by Ted Kerosote, and Jim Posiwietz's book (the name of which escapes me at the moment) are all awesome. As you read them, you can steal some of their pearls of wisdom and pass them on to your folks. :)

Best of luck!

Cheers,
4ster

BCLongshot
03-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Wow

I admire your atitude !

Regardless of some of the "BIGSHOTS" on this site who probably don't have kids or they're divorced or they're families are so disfunctional it'll make you cry.

I would keep doing what your doing...Trying.

You should respect your parents when your living in their house even if they're Liberals.

When you move out it's over. They'll love you regardless 'cause it's the Liberal thing to do.

Don't argue. It'll happen.

Join a gun club and tell the people your situation and watch the help and invitations come !

BCLongshot
03-28-2008, 08:02 PM
I'm just teasin' about the "BIGSHOT" thing sorta. No I am.

happygilmore
03-28-2008, 08:09 PM
How did your parrents go so wrong raising you?:mrgreen:

Buy the gun and a safe and take them out shooting, most newbys that were shy about guns quickly lightened up after an hour at the range.

The Hermit
03-28-2008, 08:52 PM
If it is really hunting that you are genuinely interested in you can do that with a bow, and you don't need a license or registration for it. Hang it on your bedroom wall!!

Then when you move out, you know after getting the Ph.D. at 32 years old, you can buy a gun!

EvanG
03-28-2008, 09:04 PM
My parents didnt hunt either although they werent agaist it or even had a problem with me keeping guns in the house when i was 17 ( dont ask), I was just forced to find ppl to take me until I could go on my own. For instances I hunted with my CORE instructor for a number of years. The only time I got in Shit was my parents comming home from vacation to find me skinning a stinky old boar black bear in my dads shop next to his hot rod lol.

J_T
03-28-2008, 09:22 PM
If you are a reader, I also recommend some reading that will help you explain your choices to your parents. "A Hunter's Heart" and "Elk Heart" by David Petersen, "Blood Ties" by Ted Kerosote, and Jim Posiwietz's book (the name of which escapes me at the moment) are all awesome. As you read them, you can steal some of their pearls of wisdom and pass them on to your folks.
Amen!

Posiwitz "Beyond Fair Chase".

And though wild animals recognize death, they neither anticpate its coming nor cognitively reason ways to avoid it. Maternal instruction, innate instinct, and firsthand experience based on trial and error may be excellent tools of survival, however too many predators feed daily on the weak and unwary, and too many roadways are dotted with the unrecognizable pult of careless wildlfie to credit wild things with self-preserving logic or thought.
Few animals die of old age. And their fate, their early death, is not cruel; it is simply the way of the wild. While some may call Mother Nature harsh, uncaring, savate, merciless, implacable, unrelenting - and worse - she defies all these humanistic accusations. Her world was around long before modern man - with his troubled consience - stepped in. Quite likely it will be around after the last human animal joins the dodo and the dinosaur in the oblivion of extinction.
..... MR James

kgs
03-28-2008, 10:55 PM
I agree with rishu and I quote (Above all, get their approval before getting the gun/hunt. You don't want to piss them off and lose their trust by doing things behind their backs. As much as you probably hate it now, it's their house, their rules, and that doesn't change until/if you move out.)

If you are 18 or older move out and get what you want if not wait till you turn 18 then move out. Its their house respect that also you do not have to agree with everything your parents say however its still their house and to them your still a kid.

ROEBUCK
03-28-2008, 11:36 PM
one way of maybe softening your parents would be to take them to an authorised gun range or clay shoot where they could maybe get a better understanding of guns which may help them become more comfortable around them? if that works good luck bringing home a dead deer!

hunter1947
03-29-2008, 04:11 AM
As for the guns do you know anyone that has all the qualifications in order to keep your guns at his or her home ????. If so ask them if you can keep your guns at there place until you move out. The way it sounds you still live at home with your parents. If you lived near me I would store your guns for you. Maybe someone on this site that lives close to you might store them for you till you move out ????.

hannibal
03-29-2008, 08:20 AM
Dude. I basically had the same situation. Don't argue with them over it, you don't need them to love it, just try to get a passive acceptance. Your parents are immigrants I'm guessing- you said liberal Europeans, explain that the wilds and freedoms of Canada are the reason they moved here, right, so you should be able to enjoy the things they couldn't, like true wilderness and hunting and firearms. Canada also has a strong tradition of fishing, hunting and trapping (though you'll never hear that from the media) so play that card as well. try to find some hunters that you can trust and go to the range and go hunting with them. There is nothing stopping you from getting you CORE and PAL. Most of all don't try to convince you lefty sister, I fought that battle too, not worth your breath, she's brainwashed- if she's anything like my sister, so just let it go and don't bite when she's fishing for an argument. I'm married now and a few years older, but I still only get passive acceptance for my love of firearms and hunting from both my wife and parents, and I'm still not "allowed" a motorbike! I grew up in Delta in a liberal European immigrant household, with only minimal bush time, hit my late teens and got the hunting bug. I'm now a proud hunter and very pro-firearm and while polite I never apologize or give quarter for my opinions. and dude, don't give up, if you really love the bush and the hunt you'll get it all sorted out.

browningboy
03-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Really depends on your age, if you're under 19 and have no one to take you, then you're SOL as you have to be with an adult, but if you're over, just be responsible, you're parents will be freaked out with having a gun in the house ( have a safe etc.), I went through the same thing as well, in the end they'll realize that you will grow up and do what you like regardless of they're approval or not, they will learn to accept it, just takes time and patience.

Gateholio
03-29-2008, 09:38 AM
Tell them you are inrterested ina new hobby and you have boiled it down to 2 choices

1) Getting a gun and hunting

2) Hanging out on the corner

Ask them to help you choose which one they woudl prefer.:biggrin:

sfire436
03-29-2008, 10:08 AM
I applaud your attitude as well. I think it would safe to say that you wanting to hunt but still wanting to honour your family and respect the fact that you live in their house speaks volumes about your character. And it is these qualities that make a great hunter and outdoor enthusiast. It is great that you want to show them the good things about hunting instead of just telling them to get off and throwing it in ther faces. I do not know what area you live in but am sure anyone on here will help you as much as they can to get yourself started. Welcome to the hunting community!

Phreddy
03-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Well GrandA,
As that ancient Japanese philosopher once said, "Just do it".
The only thing I would strongly suggest is that if you are going to spring some surprise meat on them, make sure that it is butchered, frozen, and wrapped first.
Nothing fuels an "anti's" wrath more than seeing a whole animal hanging in the garage.
If all they see is the packaged meat, it's pretty hard to get upset as they buy the same kind of packages at the supermarket.

GrandA
03-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Wow - that was a lot of replies Thanks... So, I am over the age of 19 and of yesterday just passed my CORE! I am mainly interested in hunting and I do want to store the guns in my room (in a safe). I do have a few trust worthy licensed friends whereby I could store the guns at in the last case scenerio.

I think the gun range idea would not work out for them. For some reason they have the link of guns and gangsters.. They both grew up in Vancouver and are teachers.

I think the "education" approach will work better then the "hands on" approach. "Mainland Hunter" I will try informing them that it is simply the cycle of nature and stress that hunters are the main reason there are still wildlife in BC.

"SSSSter" - Good advice on getting "A Hunter's Heart" I will look for it at the library this week.

"308Bar" - Do you have the National Geographic article?

Phil - I like the stock the family animal idea as well and sleeping in camo halarious

"BC Long Shot" thanks for the support

and finally Gate House - the Crack or Hunting idea although funny will give them a heart attack.

Kody94
03-29-2008, 12:54 PM
"SSSSter" - Good advice on getting "A Hunter's Heart" I will look for it at the library this week.

I am sure you'll enjoy it, and it will provide lots of good arguments for you to employ with your parents. :) David Petersen is the editor (and author of a chapter or two), and the book is a compilation of a number of short stories by authors including Ortega Y Gasset, Ted Kerosote, Jim Posiwitz...so lots of different viewpoints included in one package.

Best of luck!

Cheers
4Ster

brian
03-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Geez man. The best advice people have given you is respect your parents house while you are living in it, but keep working on them. Finding some way of getting them more comfortable and educated about guns is a good idea. Watching nature documentaries and wonder out loud whether a lion is unethical for hunting is a good conservation starter for the educated types. But you are 19, so if you just can't convince them then move out! Get your own place, get your own rifle, get your own job and go hunting.

Phil
03-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Phil - I like the stock the family animal idea as well and sleeping in camo halarious

My relpy was a little off the cuff but I'm glad you were amused.

GrandA I like your approach to solving this problem. You seem to have an open mind so you might also be resoved to accepting that you may never change the minds of your folks or have their blessing.

However, I have found that with my own friends and family the best way to reach their brains is through their stomachs. If your willing to cook for them I'll provide the meat (assuming they have never tried any wild game).

CanuckShooter
03-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Your parents are educators so the best thing you can do is educate them, teach them that guns aren't bad, hunters are not bad guys. Get a bunch of books on hunting / game management etc. stuff from ducks unlimited/ rocky mountain elk foundation type stuff. It sounds to me like they could use some exposure to the lifestyle of a lifelong hunter.

RBH
03-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Whoa! This has been going on for a long time! I haven't read the whole thread but think I get the idea....liberal parents but NO HUNTING. To which I (a parent and fairly liberal) offer the following thoughts:

1) What does it really mean to be liberal? Isn't that about a free exchange of ideas but ultimately respecting the right of another (especially your offspring) to have their own beliefs and pursue their own interests (if not harmful to self or others)?

2) Here we are in the world of global warming, a world of urbanization, where people generally have become completely divorced from the food that they eat -- meat and veg comes from the super market etc and while we eat our lamb chops we talk about the brutality of hunting. I have noticed of late that people are taking note of this estrangement from the natural world. For example, I have been reading 'The Omnivore's Dilemma' by Michael Pollen (www.michaelpollan.com (http://www.michaelpollan.com/)), in which he explores the origins of super market food (primarily corn based) and in which his best self prepared meal is one he hunted and gathered himself (despite (or maybe because of) hunting being a novel and traumatic experience for a Jewish writer from urban California.) And I have enjoyed watching on the Food Channel a British series called River Cottage Treatment (www.rivercottage.net (http://www.rivercottage.net/)) in which a quirky but charming organic farmer in Devon takes city folk to the farm and introduces them to food from the field, including meat that they have to kill (hunting or otherwise) -- again a traumatic but enriching experience which awakens in them a respect for the food they put in their craw. If one investigates the moral and environmental aspects of modern farming one might find that hunting is a wonderful thing in many ways: it gets you into the woods where and when you wouldn't otherwise be; it allows you to tune in to nature in a way that few others do; it affords a holistic experience -- hunting, killing, dressing, cooking, eating -- that is deeply satisfying. Who could say no to that? "Don't say no to me going hunting. Say no to Gaea!"

3) The abhorrence of guns is understandable. But the prohibition of hunting firearm ownership by a responsible owner is emotional and/or ill informed, likely based on reading too many newspapers and watching too much TV laced with (American) urban violence etc that has little to do with hunters and their tools.

To them I say, be glad that your son has the initiative to explore new things even though you may not understand them; encourage him to make decisions for himself by allowing him to act on his decisions; roll your eyes and suffer the embarrassment; and, should it be offered, delight in the sacrament of wild meat caught by your son.

To you I say, go for it! :smile:

RBH
03-29-2008, 04:45 PM
On review I see that your thread only started yesterday. I thought it started in Dec 06 (your join date). So the debate hasn't been going on so long. Other than that, my comments stand.

RBH
03-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Re: the national geographic article:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2007/11/hunters/poole-text.html

Looking fwd to reading it myself.

tomahawk
03-29-2008, 05:39 PM
If your parents are really against firearms and hunting you are going to have a tough time changing their minds. If they are anti hunting and firearms you might be best to back off till you move out on your own or store them elsewhere.

island hunter
03-29-2008, 06:29 PM
GrandA. If the question is home life and parents respect then honor them but stay true to yourself. this can be done in many ways that have already been mention.
you're young and obviously have a good head on your shoulders with respect for family. stay on course and what will be will be.

many of us have been there. and thanks for a great post.

ez.

Blktail
03-29-2008, 09:21 PM
Just my 2 bits, but if you live in their house you should follow their rules. It is OK to try to convince them, but if you aren't big enough to support yourself, you should have the respect to follow their rules. Same goes for the motorcycle. IMHO

Caveman
03-29-2008, 09:34 PM
GrandA, We all will do things in life that our parents don't agree with. However they will always stick by your side. I believe if done correctly they would come around. Start with keeping the gun out of the house and start hunting. Bring home the meat already prepped from the butcher so they don't get the negative image in their heads reinforced. If they are open to try the meat they may find that they enjoy it and will be more approving. The trick will be baby steps. Introduce them to your new interest slowly and I think they will come around

hunter1947
03-30-2008, 06:03 AM
You no what your parents want and there rules stand well you live in there home ,Don't try and convince them to keep your gun or guns there ,it will start a war. Your 19 ,find a place to store them outside your parents home ,You have no other chose except to move out.:roll:

brian
03-30-2008, 07:48 AM
The trick will be baby steps.

Definitely. You can't expect someone who is uncomfortable with guns and hunting to suddenly accept the reality every aspect of it all at once.

Tron
03-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Your parents being teachers I would think they would be open minded and be willing to be educated on the Hunting and conservation as well as hunters ethic's. Explain to them that only 2% of murders and gun related accidents in Canada are done with registered firearms. A rifle is a hunting tool just like the camo jacket and binoculars and in the right hands are very safe. Have them read the core manual as well.
Try to get them to understand the difference between ethical hunting and poaching. Poaching might be what is stuck in there mind. Have them understand that your not just going out into the woulds and shooting everything up. Pick up a copy of the hunting reg's and show them all the rules and reg's you would be following all to do with conservation. New reg's won't be out till June I think but maybe some one can help you with last years copy.
My parents were not keen on the idea of guns in there house and hunting but they new I would be responsable and let we go ahead with it. Im sure with a very watchful eye but now they support it and always want to eat game when they come over. I was 19 then.
I wish luck

johnes50
03-30-2008, 11:30 AM
Ask if you can buy a 22, maybe even a single shot 22. Then ask them to go to the range with you to see how safe it is. Then very casually invite them to have a shot or two. If they accept your offer to shoot they will probably be hooked.

Fixit
03-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Id ask to see why they dont want a firearm in the household,
then id write a formal essay on why you want a firearm, the purpose of having one, your intrest with shooting, the safety measures that every gun owner must adhere to, and then suggest solutions to there concerns of you having a firearm, ie buy a gun safe and have them keep possesion of all the keys. (that way they still maintain "control" over you and your guns, when you can use the rifle.) I also like the idea of becoming a member of a rifle range, that way they know you have access to a safe shooting area.

writing an essay shows that you have a sincere effort to safety and to ownership. also perhaps take the PAL course with one of your parents and offer to pay for them. then they will realize how much emphasis is put on safety.

this is what i did when i lived at home and wasnt allowed a rifle. i asked my parents in writing to write me back there concerns about guns, then i wrote an essay regarding all there parts. it was 5 pages long!!!

finally they agreed and i took my pal, but ended up moving out before i purchased a rifle anyways.

good luck
:-P

GrandA
03-31-2008, 11:22 AM
All good points - I'll keep you posted of my progress. Thanks

TimberPig
03-31-2008, 05:07 PM
Id ask to see why they dont want a firearm in the household,
then id write a formal essay on why you want a firearm, the purpose of having one, your intrest with shooting, the safety measures that every gun owner must adhere to, and then suggest solutions to there concerns of you having a firearm, ie buy a gun safe and have them keep possesion of all the keys. (that way they still maintain "control" over you and your guns, when you can use the rifle.) I also like the idea of becoming a member of a rifle range, that way they know you have access to a safe shooting area.

If he gives them the key to his gun safe, since they do not hold a firearms license, he would be best to keep them trigger locked and him have the keys, otherwise, he is providing access to an unlicensed person without supervision.

hannibal
03-31-2008, 07:28 PM
As a funny aside: i got my buddy into hunting, he just passed his CORE and PAL. We just went out, with our wives, and he bought his first firearm, the funny part is, it took 2 years of educating my friends wife before he was "allowed" to get a hunting license, and the rifle he bought is to be stored with all my rifles. My buddies wife simply won't have a rifle in the house, for now..... the point being, you'll run into these attitudes and discrimination all the way through life, but there is always a simple, non confrontational answer.

answer: have a red neck friend who can take all the heat and store your guns.:cool:

Fixit
03-31-2008, 07:38 PM
If he gives them the key to his gun safe, since they do not hold a firearms license, he would be best to keep them trigger locked and him have the keys, otherwise, he is providing access to an unlicensed person without supervision.

true, unless one of the parents took the PAL course with there kid

my point was to give the parents a feeling of control over the firearms.

Deaddog
04-01-2008, 08:52 AM
I suggest you check out a thread that Stone Sheep Steve started called "do you ever get that feeling" or something similar to that, print it off and show it to your parents, it will explain the "why" of hunting, :smile:

Stone Sheep Steve
04-01-2008, 09:10 AM
I suggest you check out a thread that Stone Sheep Steve started called "do you ever get that feeling" or something similar to that, print it off and show it to your parents, it will explain the "why" of hunting, :smile:

Totally agree, Deaddog.

Hunting has definitely opened the door for me to see many places in this beautiful province that I would otherwise have never seen. I could never imagine putting myself through the same rigourous activities to simply go for a "hike"..........sorry, would never have happenned:cool:.

Hunting as definitely allowed me to "grow" in many ways.

SSS