PDA

View Full Version : Grizz Help

Elkaholic
03-28-2008, 05:01 PM
I have a grizz draw for 4-30 area and was wondering if anybody knows the area and/or would be willing to give any tips on spots to hunt or times when they usually come out in the area. I have never hunted the area before, I drew this area out of error on filling out my LEH. Any help would be great.

rocksteady
03-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Looking at the map from the regs. 4-30 goes all the way from Meadow Creek up to Trout Lake West Side of highway....

From what I can remember that road is in "decent" shape for a secondary highways road.....Probably about the same as any FSR.....

I am Not aware of any real hot spots up that neck of the woods.....Contact your CO in Nelson, he may give you a pointer...

Also call the Forest Service office in Nelson and ask for the Compliance and Enforcement Tech for that area (if he/she is a hunter they may tell you some good tidbits)....They will be out that way quite often and may help with info....

The C&E Tech will also tell you whos harvesting licence it is (Tembec/Pope and Talbot or whoever......) Then call their office and talk to their woodlands guys (logging supervisors/layout technicians).....

Another possibility is talk to the highways mtnce. contractor for the area...Gradermen/truck drivers love to BS with you and will tell you exactly where they have seen bears over the past X years, and approximately what time of the spring...

Get a copy of backroads mapbook, so that when you are talking to the guys on the phone, you can look at the map and know where they are talking about....

Elkaholic
03-31-2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the tips rocksteady.... much appreciated.

Anybody else with any sort of info?

Flinch
03-31-2008, 03:32 PM
A buddy had the draw last spring. Did not capitalize on a grizz, did shoot a couple blacks. Early May was way too early last year, but later in May (long weekend on) would have been OK. Try some of the side valleys south of Trout Lk. Drive as far as you can then hike in past the snow slides and glass the south slides and blocks. If they had less snow this year, earlier may be ok too. I like to go early, but last year things seemed really late.

BearSniper
03-31-2008, 03:50 PM
Elkaholic

I was doing the same for our Grizzly draw north of yours.

I called a fella in the forest ministry in Revelstoke, and he was absolutely awsome with tips and people to call.

Check with Canadian Mountain Holidays to see if they have a lodge in the mountains of your area. They will have accurate road, snow level, and avalanche info right up until June 15.

Turns out I was given the name of a CMH employee who loves to hunt Bears in the general area as much as I do. Also I'm not scrambling as much to get my stuff packed as the snow pack is actually still building up there right now. Winter ain't over int the high country

Just a thought, but it seems to have worked for me. No guarantee of success, but at least someone to help with info.

Good luck:-P

Mr. Dean
03-31-2008, 03:53 PM
Looking at the map from the regs. 4-30 goes all the way from Meadow Creek up to Trout Lake West Side of highway....

From what I can remember that road is in "decent" shape for a secondary highways road.....Probably about the same as any FSR.....

I am Not aware of any real hot spots up that neck of the woods.....Contact your CO in Nelson, he may give you a pointer...

Also call the Forest Service office in Nelson and ask for the Compliance and Enforcement Tech for that area (if he/she is a hunter they may tell you some good tidbits)....They will be out that way quite often and may help with info....

The C&E Tech will also tell you whos harvesting licence it is (Tembec/Pope and Talbot or whoever......) Then call their office and talk to their woodlands guys (logging supervisors/layout technicians).....

Another possibility is talk to the highways mtnce. contractor for the area...Gradermen/truck drivers love to BS with you and will tell you exactly where they have seen bears over the past X years, and approximately what time of the spring...

Get a copy of backroads mapbook, so that when you are talking to the guys on the phone, you can look at the map and know where they are talking about....

This is EXCELLENT advice... Follow up on it!!

Do pay attention too what is being said; make notes ect... The 1 major peeve of mine is to take the time and indulge a stranger, only too find that he/she dozed off somewhere during the conversation :roll:. Don't be afraid to question the wisdom your hearing, it shows that you ARE paying attention.

Maybe PM willy442 - He should know someone with in depth knowledge of that area,,, I'd think.

Nooker77
03-31-2008, 04:15 PM
:cry:Well it snowed in the Cherryville valley bottom again today so I would say spring is a loooong ways away..I have the 432 draw and am looking at late May as well...I am 2hours away so I will be making Day trips on the weekends later on in April! No hurry though as nights are still 5 below down low so no snow melting anywhere really fast!! Figures!! Great advice! Forestry techs are a great source of info....never had any luck pickin the brains of the CO's...always get the standard... "well there around!" if you know where to look!!:roll: Keep us posted and I'll do the same!:lol:

KodiakHntr
03-31-2008, 05:00 PM
Cherryville? I grew up there...

And spend every year hunting blacks in 4:30, as I haven't pulled a grizz permit for there for 10years....

huntingfamily
03-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Awesome advice so far guys.
If anyone has some info specific to 4-18, that would be a huge help. I will be with my brother-in-law who has an LEH for there.
Any info would be very appreciated.

hf

Elkaholic
04-01-2008, 07:05 AM
Thanks alot for all the info guys, I will be spending the next couple of weeks doing all the prep work.