PDA

View Full Version : new crossbow hunting ?

brutus
03-27-2008, 09:40 PM
:roll:just bought a new excalibur crossbow cant wait to try it out,I got a question for you "crossbow hunting experts" can I hunt whith my crossbow for all the open season or is restricted to bow only season, I ask this question because I ear diferent ansers from diferent people , so what is the scoop on that .thanks for all your ansers in advance, hope somebody can point me in the right direction.RICHARD

OOBuck
03-27-2008, 09:48 PM
Bow or gun seasons only :lol:

Bow Walker
03-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Beginning to end of hunting season - plus any Archery only season(s).

Gateholio
03-28-2008, 12:16 AM
ou can use a crossbow in bow season, GOS too...Good on yah for xtending your season.:wink:

Bowzone_Mikey
03-28-2008, 08:15 AM
In British Columbia you can use it in Bow or general season ....

It varies upon the jurisdiction you are in ....
for example ... In Alberta you can only only use it in general open season

Ron.C
03-28-2008, 01:11 PM
As per above. In BC, you can use your crossbow to hunt in any open season as well as the bow only seasons. You can also use it for archery Limited Entry Hunting(LEH) as well as regular LEH.

ruttinbuck
03-28-2008, 02:10 PM
Enjoy your new crossbow.THis is what a Excalibur phoenix will do at 40yds.These are my18-22nd shots lifetime from any crossbow.RB
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/ruttinbuck/crossbow/28-03-081253.jpg

Onesock
03-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Kinda takes the wind out of "hard to learn to shoot well" argument!!

The Hermit
03-28-2008, 03:35 PM

Well yeah but I was doing that with my compound in the first half hour too.

Great shooting and enjoy getting out there. If I might be so bold as to offer some advice however... please consider taking the International Bowhunting Education Program course before hunting with your new cross bow. The course was great at helping new archers to become better bow hunters! Topics like KE, effective range, penetration and shot placement and ethics for the bowhunter were well covered. We had two guys in our course with crossbows adn everyone learned lots!

Cheers

ruttinbuck
03-28-2008, 03:52 PM
I have to admit,I was using a benchrest to test the accuracy of the bow.My groups are not near as tight when I shoot freehand.RB

Gateholio
03-28-2008, 04:34 PM

After 6 shots from my buddys compound, I shot groups liek that, too...:mrgreen:

Onesock
03-28-2008, 08:42 PM
How did Steve Irwin put it. "NOW THATS A CROCK" LOL

brutus
03-28-2008, 09:08 PM
thanks for all your reply, that is wat I wanted to ear.LOTS of time to practice till bow season opens up,LET you guys no how it goes,sorry for the speling, frenchguy trying to tipe in english:biggrin:

Onesock
03-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Get to know your weapon, practise with it on a regular basis and you shouldn't have any problem. Please don't think you can shoot 40yds at a live animal though. Find someplace to take an IBEP course.

Gateholio
03-29-2008, 01:33 AM
How did Steve Irwin put it. "NOW THATS A CROCK" LOL

You are a little too eager to pass judgement...I think I have pics of my shots with my budies compound. I will see if I can post them. It may not have been quite as tight a group as the benchrest compound, but it was plenty good to kill a deer...

I got 3 arrows into about 3"AT 36 yards...after not using a bow for over 20 years...I think that is good enough for deer.

J_T
03-29-2008, 04:58 AM
It seems there is a lot of talk about accuracy in archery. In Bowhunting there are many more factors to consider. Until you've hunted with a bow and attempted to take an animal with a bow, you haven't experienced.

Being a good shot, or having a bow that will make a good shot is but one small part.

ruttinbuck
03-29-2008, 06:45 AM
Get to know your weapon, practise with it on a regular basis and you shouldn't have any problem. Please don't think you can shoot 40yds at a live animal though. Find someplace to take an IBEP course.
Onesock.
You don't know me from Adam...For you to call bullshit on a simple post stating the accuracy of the Excalibur crossbow is downright wrong.

The next thing you post is please don't shoot animals at 40yds with a crossbow,hell I don't remember even posting that I was considering hunting at 40yds with the crossbow.
I fully appreciate your comments,but please don't take posts made about the accuracy of a certain brand of bow as a chance to call me a liar or assume myself to be an irresponsible archer..oops crossbow hunter.RB

Onesock
03-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Ruttinbuck I never called bullshit on your shooting. I apologise if you took it as such. As you stated you are new the sport 18-22nd shots with your bow. I was merely asking you to not shoot at animals at that distance. But, being new to the sport you should still take an IBEP course if possible prior to hunting with your new x-bow.

Gateholio
03-29-2008, 09:24 AM
Being a good shot, or having a bow that will make a good shot is but one small part.

Just like any other type of hunting....

However, a number of times I have read about how using a crossbow isn't really "bow gear" beause it's too easy to master shooting one. Modern compounds arent' much different in that regard.

They sure are much easier to master than the traditional long bow I took my first deer with!:wink:

rocksteady
03-29-2008, 11:52 AM
I really don't know why people are so opposed to Crossbows and hunting with them. They are another way to hunt, and if all of the comments about recruitment and retention on this site are true, people should be supportive of members taking up different methods, rather than trying to slam them.

For example: the thread about crossbows not being "archery" and not being allowed in "archery season"....There is not a significant difference between the compound and crossbow, as far as effective range etc...IMHO, we are comparing Mac Apples to Golden Delicious Apples, not apples to oranges....Not like we are comparing old musket black powder (where you are lucky to hit a fridge at 50 yards) to an inline loader (where you can get 2" groups at 100 yards.

If its not your cup of tea, don't use one...But don't disrespect others because they decide to...

03-29-2008, 04:07 PM
I really don't know why people are so opposed to Crossbows and hunting with them. They are another way to hunt, and if all of the comments about recruitment and retention on this site are true, people should be supportive of members taking up different methods, rather than trying to slam them.

For example: the thread about crossbows not being "archery" and not being allowed in "archery season"....There is not a significant difference between the compound and crossbow, as far as effective range etc...IMHO, we are comparing Mac Apples to Golden Delicious Apples, not apples to oranges....Not like we are comparing old musket black powder (where you are lucky to hit a fridge at 50 yards) to an inline loader (where you can get 2" groups at 100 yards.

If its not your cup of tea, don't use one...But don't disrespect others because they decide to...

Exactly, plus for some people....medical reasons prevent them from using the heavy drawn Compounds.

My father in law for one, is getting more and more into Bow hunting ..mostly for the extended season... however there is no way he can draw a compound. With a crossbow and the available cocking device, it is a great combination.

Unfortunately, i have shoudler injuries on both shoulders:-?, and anticipate getting a crossbow in the near future as well.

Onesock
03-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Try drawing a compound when you are twenty yards from an alert derr!!! You don't have to draw a x-bow just pull the trigger. Sounds like a ffffffffirearm to me.

Gateholio
03-29-2008, 05:31 PM
]
Try drawing a compound when you are twenty yards from an alert derr!!! You don't have to draw a x-bow just pull the trigger.

Getting within bow range of a deer takes skill and patience. It's not like a bowhunter is "cheating" because one small aspect of it is a little bit easier.

Sounds like a ffffffffirearm to me.

Actually, a crossbow makes a "twang" sound, just like a bow. A firearm sounds more like KA BOOM. Glad I cleared that up for you.:wink:

brotherjack
03-29-2008, 05:32 PM
Try drawing a compound when you are twenty yards from an alert derr!!! You don't have to draw a x-bow just pull the trigger. Sounds like a ffffffffirearm to me.

Good grief - you're just a one-man propaganda machine aren't you? Spewing the same old flawed rhetoric year in and year out hoping you'll get some new guys who haven't heard all the same ole nonsense before.

If you took two seconds to consider the situation, you'd realize that to get that crossbow out of your lap (or off the hanger, or whatever) and aimed at the vitals of that deer, you have to make some pretty significant movement - every big as significant as how much you make when drawing a bow (heck, you blink wrong with a deer inside of 20 yards, and it might spook). And no, you can't sit there with the bow already pointed at the deer while it wanders in for a shot - a 7 to 8 lb crossbow being held in the 'ready-to-fire' position will cause intensely painful muscle fatigue within minutes (ask me how I know) - not much better than a compound bow with a high let-off as far that goes.

(p.s. - nobody saw this; I'm still on HBC vacation for a while yet). ;)

Deerwhacker
03-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Right on Brutus , excallibur is a great choice in bows. I have recently upgraded to one myself and I love shooting it. ignore onesocks anti crossbow propaganda but he is very right on the 40 yard thing, A handy thing I do in my pre season prep is to see how far I can shoot 3 out of 3 arrows into the killzone of a deer freehand and then take my max range in practice and reduce that by 10 yards for when im out in the field, also remember that if the animal is close enough to "jump the string" and is aware dont take the shot , even if you can put an arrow into the killzone at the distance the animal is the killzone of the animal can move by the time the arrow reaches that point. good luck on your first bow hunt. :smile:

OOBuck
03-29-2008, 06:45 PM

This has jack $hit to do with the post, I think most would agree keep your opinions to yourself...:roll:

Gateholio
03-29-2008, 07:09 PM
This has jack $hit to do with the post, I think most would agree keep your opinions to yourself...:roll:

Everyone is free to post thier opinion at HBC.:smile:

brutus
03-29-2008, 09:25 PM
holly crap, I did not no that a simple question would spark a big debate like this,to me it is all about the hunt ,rifle,shotgun,longbow,crossbow,compoundbow they are to me a weapon of personal choice,as long as it does the job,Idont nock people down for using the weapon of their choice,as long as they take kill shots only,my two cents.Thanks to all the one whith the good advice,the other one Icould not care less about what they have to say.RICHARD

OOBuck
03-30-2008, 07:33 AM

Whatever you do don't mention the RCMP road block over here!!!:roll:

OOBuck
03-30-2008, 07:39 AM
holly crap, I did not no that a simple question would spark a big debate like this,to me it is all about the hunt ,rifle,shotgun,longbow,crossbow,compoundbow they are to me a weapon of personal choice,as long as it does the job,Idont nock people down for using the weapon of their choice,as long as they take kill shots only,my two cents.Thanks to all the one whith the good advice,the other one Icould not care less about what they have to say.RICHARD

Well put!

I'm getting to the point where I don't even want to mention the word CROSSBOW's, did I say CROSSBOW? Hummm those CROSSBOWS are great but whatever the mear meaning of an individuals interpretation about CROSSBOWS has to do with the original post I don't know. I just thought I would bring that to light. CROSSBOW CROSSBOW CROSSBOW, ARCHERY ARCHERY ARCHERY, SEASON SEASON SEASON!!!!:-P

Islander
03-30-2008, 10:07 AM
Onesock......it sure can be frustrating dealing with people sometimes. I personally agree with everything youv'e said and definitely IBEP is a must for all new archery hunters. especially crossbow hunters because they are so much different than a bow. And FYI everyone I have Known Kirk for about 15 years now and he does know what hes talking about I hunt Whitetails with him every year and respect his opinion immensely. Some of you should do the same. Islander

rocksteady
03-30-2008, 10:15 AM
and respect his opinion immensely. Some of you should do the same. Islander

...AND he should respect others choices in which arrow chucker a person decides to pack...

Gateholio
03-30-2008, 10:29 AM
I hunt Whitetails with him every year and respect his opinion immensely. Some of you should do the same. Islander

Why? Because you say so?:-D

Frankly, his opinions are narrow minded, short sighted and exclusionary.

Islander
03-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Nobody said get rid of the crossbow. All we are asking is that you learn how to use them efficiently, effectivelly and ethically The IBEP will benefit everyone. Just my opinion Islander

OOBuck
03-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Is it just me or does everyone have an ichy trigger finger??? :shock:

Gateholio
03-30-2008, 10:46 AM
]
Nobody said get rid of the crossbow.

Onesock doesn't want them used in bow season.:-P

Bighorn hunter
03-30-2008, 10:55 AM
I agree that a cross bow is easier to master than a regular bow, however effective range is similar for both.An arrow is an arrow, and chances are you are going to have to follow a blood trail with either one.Any responsible hunter can figure this out and isn't going to take a unreasonable chance on a animal getting away.My opinion, like it or lump it, leave arrows together in thier own season, or in the GOS.

my 2bits
bhh

Fisher-Dude
03-30-2008, 09:06 PM
]

Onesock doesn't want them used in bow season.:-P

Onesock http://tbbc.kics.bc.ca/iB_html2/non-cgi/Skin/SKIN-5/images/mem_offline.gif

http://tbbc.kics.bc.ca/images/avatars/onesock.jpg

Group: Members
http://tbbc.kics.bc.ca/iB_html2/non-cgi/Skin/SKIN-5/PostIcons/icon0.gifPosted: Mar. 16 2007,8:44 I had to vent somewhere. The HBC site and the x-bow thing is going on again and I have to support x-bows for the UBBC. Only here can I say how I really feel and x-bows should be in the GOS. I wish the gov'y would hurry up and outlaw them so I could quit kissing ass.

I don't expect the gov'y will be hurrying up to exclude archers using legal archery equipment from a legal archery season. So, pucker up Kirk.

ruttinbuck
03-30-2008, 09:15 PM
That might leave a mark.RB

Dannybuoy
03-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Good on you Brutus , I have been considering a crossbow as well , I think you have received the info you were looking for and then some ! The information about the upcoming archery season will be in the hunting regulations .

springpin
03-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Right on, on buying a crossbow. Good luck and practice hard. I hunt with a bow exclusively and am adding a crossbow to the mix.

Chad

GoatGuy
03-31-2008, 12:52 PM
I really don't know why people are so opposed to Crossbows and hunting with them.

This is a good question. I have a hard time understanding the motivations.

They are another way to hunt, and if all of the comments about recruitment and retention on this site are true, people should be supportive of members taking up different methods, rather than trying to slam them.

This all sounds good - I'm on the same page.

Bowzone_Mikey
03-31-2008, 05:54 PM
Dude ... Ferget about these meatheads say about crossbows ...

Its a way to hunt ... a much funner way and way more manly than rifle hunting(that ougt to get a rise outta some) ...you have to get upclose and personal ...way more fun that sniping something at 100 yrds or more

Its well documented that I dont beleive that crossbows should be included as archery equipment ...as far as target shooting goes.... In BC our wonderfull government sees it as legal tackle to hunt with in the 9 whole days of archery season .... then I say welcome to the obssesion of Bowhunting ...

sealevel
04-01-2008, 08:00 AM
My friend who has a small archery shop just got in a new stryker crossbow for a customer. 405 fps we set the scope up with 3 pins a 40 60 80 . The crossbow shot dead flat to 40 yards . I shot that thing at 80 yards i would not think twice at shooting a moose or feeding elk at that distance. So is this archery equip . not

Ron.C
04-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Sure, it is archery gear in my opinion, but when you are talking 80 yard shots with archery gear, you are opening up a huge can of worms. An arrow takes too long to get out to 80 yards, regardless of what you are shooting it out of. Even one step of the animal at that range can mean a miss or worse, gut shot. Too much unknown, too much room for error. IMO

Fisher-Dude
04-01-2008, 09:18 AM
When sound travels 720 fps, yet your bolt only goes 350 - 400 fps, a long range (over 40 yards) shot is not ethical. There is just too much time for the animal to jump the string. Similarly, my 300 WM rifle will kill an animal at 1000 yards, but there is no way I would ever consider shooting that far, as the chance of a misplaced shot is far too great.

To condemn a crossbow (or any other type of bow) on the basis that it can shoot 80 yards is the same as saying a 300 WM shouldn't be legal in GOS because it will shoot out to 1000 yards. It's not the equipment, it's the "hunter" who takes that unethical shot (with a compound, traditional, crossbow, or rifle) that should be condemned.

brotherjack
04-01-2008, 09:27 AM
My friend who has a small archery shop just got in a new stryker crossbow for a customer. 405 fps we set the scope up with 3 pins a 40 60 80 . The crossbow shot dead flat to 40 yards . I shot that thing at 80 yards i would not think twice at shooting a moose or feeding elk at that distance. So is this archery equip . not

Ahem... that sounds like nonsense to me. A quick run through a ballistics calculator shows that zero'd at 40 yards, even if we assume a ballistics coefficient more appropriate to a bullet than an arrow with a broadhead and fletching (both create a lot more drag than any bullet), that arrow at 405FPS is going to be approx 4 inches high at 20 yards. Furthermore, if the second pin is at 60 yards, then arrow will have dropped approx a foot between 40 and 60 yards. And, guess what - the drop between 60 and 80 yards will be approx another 2 feet. If I went back and assumed a ballistic coefficient more like what an arrow actually has - those numbers get much bigger. In other words - you are going to have to do some SERIOUS guessing at the hold-over/hold-under in between those pins for any range that's not exactly 40, 60, or 80 - if that's what the bow is set for.

Furthermore, the time of flight of a 350FPS arrow from a fast compound bow vs a 405FPS from this crossbow, is going to be within micro-seconds of each other. Essentially zero advantage to the crossbow.

Sigh.... I'm not doing too well at this 'vacation' thing, am i?

:P

Bow Walker
04-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Nice to see you posting Adam. Plus, posting some relevant info for the non-believers...

Onesock
04-01-2008, 01:10 PM
It is only relevant if you are a believer!!!!

Fisher-Dude
04-01-2008, 01:26 PM

Onesock http://tbbc.kics.bc.ca/iB_html2/non-cgi/Skin/SKIN-5/images/mem_offline.gif

http://tbbc.kics.bc.ca/images/avatars/onesock.jpg

Group: Members
http://tbbc.kics.bc.ca/iB_html2/non-cgi/Skin/SKIN-5/PostIcons/icon0.gifPosted: Mar. 16 2007,8:44 I had to vent somewhere. The HBC site and the x-bow thing is going on again and I have to support x-bows for the UBBC. Only here can I say how I really feel and x-bows should be in the GOS. I wish the gov'y would hurry up and outlaw them so I could quit kissing ass.

Not too sure whom I should believe...;)

brotherjack
04-01-2008, 02:50 PM

It's only irrelevant if you have no grasp of reality whatsoever, or a personal bigoted agenda that has nothing to do with logic or reason (or in your case, apparently, both).

Here's something for you to ponder, if you think crossbows are such a huge advantage that they should not be considered archery equipment, oh yee of little faith and questionable grasp of reality:

The Wife(tm) and I have been hunting with a crossbow for a few years now; fairly successfully I might add. We have wished for some time that both of us could have our own arrow flinger - but we couldn't afford it so we've been sharing the crossbow... untill now. For this year, I'm getting a new archery rig that's mine-all-mine. Keep in mind, I can buy anything I want, and I think I've more than proven that I have no compunction whatsoever about hunting with a crossbow, or any other legal weapon for that matter - special seasons are just unique hunting opportunities to me - I'll use the most efficient legal method for the season in question. So, given all that - guess what I just bought?

A PSE Firestorm Lite - yep, a regular old run of the mill short axle, light weight compound bow. You know why? Because not only does a crossbow offer me nearly zero advantage as a hunter over a good compound bow, the crossbow is big, bulky and heavy, it's awkward to haul around in thick bush, and having tried both, I can hold full draw on a compound bow of reasonable weight and let-off easier and longer than I can hold the 9lb crossbow up at arms length in the 'ready-to-fire' position. In other words, having shot both compound and crossbow (and traditional/recurve I might add), and having the option to buy whatever the heck I want, I am buying a compound bow. Why? Because, from my own experience (fairly extensive experience I might add), I am totally convinced that a short/light compound bow setup is the superior hunting method to a crossbow.

Anyway - stick that in your pipe and smoke it. Try not to cough.

Oh, and now that you know compound bows are easier than crossbows - maybe you'll want to go on a campaign to get compound bows banned from archery seasons too, eh?

Bow Walker
04-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Kirk - I can see that smirk even from down here...8)

Put that spoon down and quit stirring it up. :roll:

Have a look at BJ's sig line. It's so apropos to the subject at hand.:wink:

Onesock
04-01-2008, 04:00 PM
BJ it is nice to have you back. As far as reality is concerned you are the gentleman that has no grasp on it. We will see about your experience with a bow after this years bow season. And if you are fortunate enough to bag a 6 point bull elk of which by your standards there are none, remember-- even a blind dog finds a bone once in a while. You will know what I am talking about the first time you draw on a doe or 3 pt elk with your BOW.

brotherjack
04-01-2008, 04:06 PM
You know, I am just done with you onesock - you are a first class jerk of the highest order; as you prove over and over again. Welcome to my ignore list - I'm tired of reading your nonsense.

I'm going back on HBC vacation now.

Have fun, ya'll.

springpin
04-01-2008, 04:16 PM
:roll:just bought a new excalibur crossbow cant wait to try it out,I got a question for you "crossbow hunting experts" can I hunt whith my crossbow for all the open season or is restricted to bow only season, I ask this question because I ear diferent ansers from diferent people , so what is the scoop on that .thanks for all your ansers in advance, hope somebody can point me in the right direction.RICHARD

Wow, All this debauchery from the above quote.... I think that some of the replies might scare him away from Hbc.. The Guy is just excited about getting a Crossbow and asked simple questions to clarify the regs on Crossbows. He did not ask for a debate... just my 2 cents.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-01-2008, 04:33 PM
:roll:The Guy is just excited about getting a Crossbow and asked simple questions to clarify the regs on Crossbows. He did not ask for a debate... just my 2 cents.

add mine to make it 4 cents ...

Onesock
04-01-2008, 05:36 PM
BJ- because someone doesn't share your opinion there is no need to resort to name calling. I think most of us dropped the name calling in about grade 2. As Gatehouse said we are all entitled to our opinions.

rocksteady
04-01-2008, 05:46 PM
add mine to make it 4 cents ...

I'll up the ante to 6 pennies, ah hell, make it a nickel and a penny...

Bowzone_Mikey
04-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Ahem... that sounds like nonsense to me. A quick run through a ballistics calculator shows that zero'd at 40 yards, ........:P

Snip ... you get the idea ... Brother .. with all due respect ... you and you balistics calculator have no idea what your talking about ..as i am willing to bet that your balistics calculator is not archery specific ... I ran 405 fps thru both of my programs .. OT2 and TAP... and with the correct bolt ie: an A/C/C 349 there is 3.5" drop between 20 and 40 yards however with a pure aluminuim bolt there is about 6.5 and with a pure carbon bolt there is about 1.5. However to 60 they drop about doubble that and fall off the chart from there ....

a ballistic program is great ... but most balistic programs out there dont take into account the tecnologys of archery where as specific programs do .. Ie On Target 2 or The Archery Program ... with TAP I can run a sight tape for my bow out to 150 yards and they are accurate.

My bow goes 306 fps at the moment at 62 pounds at 50 yrds I can put my 20 pin on the spine of a 3D elk and My arrow will end in the top of the 10 ring ... so whats that about a 10-12 inch drop from 20 to 50 yrds

brotherjack
04-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Snip ... you get the idea ... Brother .. with all due respect ... you and you balistics calculator have no idea what your talking about ..as i am willing to bet that your balistics calculator is not archery specific ... I ran 405 fps thru both of my programs .. OT2 and TAP... and with the correct bolt ie: an A/C/C 349 there is 3.5" drop between 20 and 40 yards however with a pure aluminuim bolt there is about 6.5 and with a pure carbon bolt there is about 1.5. However to 60 they drop about doubble that and fall off the chart from there ....

a ballistic program is great ... but most balistic programs out there dont take into account the tecnologys of archery where as specific programs do .. Ie On Target 2 or The Archery Program ... with TAP I can run a sight tape for my bow out to 150 yards and they are accurate.

My bow goes 306 fps at the moment at 62 pounds at 50 yrds I can put my 20 pin on the spine of a 3D elk and My arrow will end in the top of the 10 ring ... so whats that about a 10-12 inch drop from 20 to 50 yrds

And other than quibbling over the exact numbers, what you are saying is significantly different from what I was saying how? What I said was, in essence: zero to 40 yards is relatively flat (though if zero'd at 40, you're a bit higher than you'd want for a kill shot at 20), between 40 and 60 there is enough drop that you'd be wanting a 50 yard pin between the 40 and 60, and drop between 60 and 80 falls off a cliff measured in feet, not inches. I freely admitted I didn't have handy ballistic coefficients appropriate to arrows, but given the wind resistance created by fletching and broadheads - I'd be stunned if they're anywhere near as good as a bullet.

With all due respect - there is nothing unique about an arrow's ballistics or technology unless you've put wings on yours so they generate lift - any object in flight that doesn't fly like a bird or a plane (ie: have lift), be it an arrow or a truck or a bullet, has a ballistic coefficient (used to calculate how fast it looses velocity) and a start velocity - if these two things are known, it's all just math from there on out. You tell me the ballistic coefficient of your arrow, and my ballistic program will generate the same numbers yours will.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-01-2008, 07:15 PM
your absoulutly correct BJ .. as with an ACC 318 there is a 1.119" inch drop from 20 to 40 ...now that said a 318 wont spine properly to a cross bow of that sort of power ...

the whole point of my last post ... (sorry the phone rang and i had to go so i couldnt express my point ) is that with the correct numbers ie: coef we can make anything say anything ...in other words at 80 yards the arc may be totally differant at 405 fps second depending on what projectile has the best properties to retain their energy ... and in my expiriance and ACC has the least amount arc as it holds its energy best downrange.

your right about balistics and what not ... the cool thing about my 2 programs is that it has all the numbers allready preprogramed into them for several arrow manufacturers as it takes into account BC for each shaft vane and head combo ... spine sizes (amount the arrow flexes coming off the string) etc etc etc.... even bow/limb cam effeinciancy ratings ... and is updated frequently for new lastest and greatest numbers

a standard BC and speed is great for a ballpark figure ... you need way more info for an accurate reading (without actually getting and shooting the dang thing ... )

thatskindafunny
04-01-2008, 08:00 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_00132.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=5888&ppuser=2788)

thatskindafunny
04-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Hunted for years with a bow and can longer do it. After 8 years of missing out on the excitement of being up and personal with a deer at spitting distance this was right up my alley. The sound of leaves crunching from behind you while sitting in the tree stand, what is it, buck or doe, having the deer come out and stop and turn towards you and look at the bottom of the tree stand for 10 minutes was almost more than my heart could take. Moved my arms a fraction of an inch when he turned his head and he snapped his head around. Ok, this is going to be fun. After waiting 10 minutes I got my shot and will remember this for ever. Whatever you hunt with being rilfe, shot gun, long bow, recurve or crossbow........ JUST DO IT

Bow Walker
04-01-2008, 08:20 PM
All crap aside about the crossbow as archery equipment (or not) that's one nice archery buck you got there....

People differ in their opinions and outlooks. That's what makes this "mortal coil" so interesting. Tolerance, and accepting another's point of view as valid is what will get you thru the day.

Everyone knows that different people have different opinions. Just accept that and do not try to sway everyone to your way of thinking - it ain't gonna happen.

Relax, enjoy the sport - in all its forms - and you'll be happier in the long run. After all, aren't we all here for the long run??

ruttinbuck
04-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Hunted for years with a bow and can longer do it. After 8 years of missing out on the excitement of being up and personal with a deer at spitting distance this was right up my alley. The sound of leaves crunching from behind you while sitting in the tree stand, what is it, buck or doe, having the deer come out and stop and turn towards you and look at the bottom of the tree stand for 10 minutes was almost more than my heart could take. Moved my arms a fraction of an inch when he turned his head and he snapped his head around. Ok, this is going to be fun. After waiting 10 minutes I got my shot and will remember this for ever. Whatever you hunt with being rilfe, shot gun, long bow, recurve or crossbow........ JUST DO IT

Great post thats.
Reading it makes me smile and hope I get the opportunity this season to get up close and personal with deer.The whole reason I went xbow the excitment and challenge.RB

Onesock
04-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Thats a nice deer kindafunny. It is good to see you out enjoying bow hunting again. I guess your wrists and arms will never heal eh! Are you coming out to the shoot this weekend "uncle buck"?

sawmill
04-02-2008, 05:39 AM
Nice post and great buck!I too have had to switch to an X-bow cause of a screwed up shoulder and I`m sure looking foward to fall.I actually gave my compound to a young who had a crappy bow so my Karma should be good.

thatskindafunny
04-02-2008, 08:29 AM
Thats a nice deer kindafunny. It is good to see you out enjoying bow hunting again. I guess your wrists and arms will never heal eh! Are you coming out to the shoot this weekend "uncle buck"?
You bet, be there Thursday for set up so ya all come on down to Uncle Buck's Pop stand Saturday & Sunday at the Courtenay Fish & Game and buy some cool refreshments. Everythings a buck. And good shooting to you all.

ratherbefishin
04-03-2008, 08:26 AM
I picked up an Exomax last fall, did some target shooting-but somehow didn't get to hunt with it-but from my limited archery experiance-I'm comfortable with a self imposed 40 yard limit-and since about 90% of all the deer[over 60] I've shot with a rifle were taken at that distance or less, don't feel that is a serious handicap.The real challenge is ALWAYS putting your shot in the right place.

thatskindafunny
04-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Talked to a fellow that hunts with a crossbow. I was telling him about my deer that I shot with mine. I was explaining how after the shot I called Partner G with the radio and said I just shot that big buck. He said "Yes I heard you shoot" Hmmmm he was in my ground blind 100 yards away. The other fellow said the one problem with the crossbow was that it was very noisy and a shot at 40 yards quite often results in a poor hit with a very long tracking job afterwords. He said he has seen the deer spook right after the shot which results in a poor hit. So like any other weapon know your limits. Mine is 30 paces with shotgun or crossbow. Oh and 90% of all my deer with a rifle have been 40 yards or under.

rocksteady
04-03-2008, 09:52 AM
I don't believe that....The animals I have shot with my crossbow have never been scared of the noise....

It also depends on the crossbow, I am assuming, some are more noisy than others....

thatskindafunny
04-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Not saying you are wrong. This is just what I've been told by a person that hunts alot with a crossbow. I myself am just getting into the crossbow, and have only had the opportunity at one deer. Your information is very valuable too me. I myself would like to be able to reach out and touch a deer in the kill zone at 40 yards. What is your maximum distance? Any information that you can provide is a bonus. ;-):lol:

Elkhound
04-03-2008, 10:17 AM
regardless of hunting equipment used we must all know it's and our limitations period.

Congrats on extending your season and trying something different.

10mins with a compound for the first time and I had groups 2-3inches every time. Not much practise needed for accuracy thats for sure. It's the practice needed for arrow drop and judging distances that takes a bit.

And bows can have sights on them...sounds like a rifle to me:roll:

Hunters must need to stick together. When we are devided we get screwed over every time

Ps- No name calling. Every time a crossbow thread comes up it turns ugly. Always by the same few.....and thats deffinitely not kissing ass;). Give it a rest please.

rocksteady
04-03-2008, 11:08 AM
one deer. Your information is very valuable too me. I myself would like to be able to reach out and touch a deer in the kill zone at 40 yards. What is your maximum distance? Any information that you can provide is a bonus. ;-):lol:

Personally my maximum distance would be 50 yards...Same as with my compound, but it depends on the animals behaviour too....If its heads up , alert or fidgetting, no go....Maybe at 25 or 30....But if it is head down, grazing, very little wind, no obstructions ...I will let one rip at 50...

My own personal guidelines, please don't rip me a new one for my opinion...

thatskindafunny
04-03-2008, 11:36 AM
NICE sounds good too me!!!

rocksteady
04-03-2008, 11:49 AM
If your crossbow happens to make more noise than you like, look into some of those rubber sound dampeners that attach to the limbs... I do not know if they actually work or not, but some internet research could solve your problems....

358win
04-03-2008, 02:44 PM
I just purchased a Viper 165 lb x-bow and with 3 dot scope have no trouble with 3" groups out to 50 yds off hand BUT the jumping the string thing has me worried. It is a noisy critter when fired. Anyone here have jumping the string stories with x-bows or any bow I'm all ears. Experience is the best teacher.

Bowzone_Mikey
04-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Talked to a fellow that hunts with a crossbow. I was telling him about my deer that I shot with mine. I was explaining how after the shot I called Partner G with the radio and said I just shot that big buck. He said "Yes I heard you shoot" Hmmmm he was in my ground blind 100 yards away. .

I am gonna call BS on that .... He may have heard the impact of the bolt ... But I highly doubt he he heard the shot .....

Lets take a step back here and think for a minute shall we ...

everyone is concerned about bow noise blah blah blah ... take a bow from 15 years ago .. lets say a top shelf bow like a Highcountry something or other with the Hatchet cams ...or a Martin Fury ...with Fury Cams ... Fast loud Bows ... Are there more deer today that are dieing per shot? ...

I really dont think so

In fact compare my 2004 model Hoyt Super tec ... a bow that has taken alot ... I mean alot of critters (between myself and People I know with em) .... and My 2008 Bowtech 101st airborne .... My hoyt sounds like a shotgun to some ... It probally does as i have some limb savers on it ... and that is all ie: no cat whiskers , string leaches or other speed and power sucking devices ... I have killed everything that i have shot with it cleanly except one Deer that I spined cause I jacked him for 45 yards when in fact he was only 37 (he was standing in a hole and i didnt have my range finder with me) ...he didnt jump the string. And people that will jack me up for shooting a long distance ...have obviosly never hunted praire lands

thatskindafunny
04-03-2008, 06:09 PM
358. Thats what I'm trying to get across. I have only heard from one person who has experienced this a lot. I have only taken one deer and it was only, whatever it was real close. But the bow had lots of string gagets etc. and my partner could hear it 100 yards away. But as one of the fellows here commented about if the deer is feeding relaxed at 50 yards no problem. So there you go. I think I like this rationality. And as someone else said learn your equipment and your prey and take it from there. Ignorence is no excuse. Anyways happy hunting to all in which ever method you chose. :lol:

J_T
04-03-2008, 06:35 PM
In my years bowhunting, I've had four animals, (in different situations), clearly hear the release and drop, jump the string, hear the joint in my shoulder creak, clothing noise or they simply moved, so that by the time my arrow got there they had moved out of target. Every year, I have animals in close that become aware of my presence in some way, and often I'm nano-seconds from release.

It is not your accuracy on a stationary target that matters. It's your accuracy on an unpredictable animal that matters.

At close range, there are so many factors. They can hear your heart beat, the air come out of your lungs, that little excited clicking in your throat. The alarm call of a bird that landed beside you. All of it, is a risk to alerting the animal.

I had an elk at 19 yards, drop 24 inches and turn a 180 by the time my arrow was there. I had a deer at 13 yards same thing. Last year I shot at a whitetail, as my arrow came in, she simply turned aside and the arrow (heading for a perfect quartering away shot) sailed on past.

It does happen. I agree, it depends on your personal situation.

But guys. All this talk about great groups, easy to shoot 1 hour to learn, to become proficient. It isn't the shooting so much, its the rest of it that matters in the bowhunt.

I respect there are shooters out there that will take, and can make 50 yard shots. Each to there own. I also know guys that can make a 70 yard shot, but in the heat of the moment they will miss at 20. Miss, or wound? A rule of thumb would suggest as a standard, 50 is too far in most situations.

My range. Elk 20 - 25 max. Deer 10 - 18. Bear 15 - 20.

FYI, in the last three years, I have taken animals and my partners within the area have heard my arrow release and in its flight.

brutus
04-03-2008, 06:56 PM
after all the crap and debate from the beginning of the tread (got me kind of scared for a second)thanks for all the good feedback and advise from all the people on this site,keep it comming guys im soaking everything in.PRATICE shooting is comming together pretty damm good,everything should be good for opening day(so far away)oh well spring fishing just around the corner .THANKS AGAIN

thatskindafunny
04-03-2008, 07:49 PM
JT.... Thanks on that.:lol:

ruttinbuck
04-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Great post JT.
I fully agree with all that you have said.
Excalibur crossbows are very fine, extremely accurate bows.I have shot mine very little but when it groups like I have posted and at such low shot numbers by me this is of course a testament to the ability of the bow not me as an archer.I have shot a bit of compound vertical tackle and can hold my own with a rifle,but that only goes so far with new equipment.
I have been in close and personal on game animals and you description to their senses and reactions is spot on.I too witnessed a whitey doe turn inside out and leave while my arrow was in the air.Could'nt believe it at the time,but that was many hunting seasons and animal behavior lessons ago.
I will be out chasing yogi here soon this spring xbow in hand,I doubt I will even try a shot but really look forward to the challenge of closing the distance undetected.

I feel like a 16YO with my first rifle trying to sleep before deer season opening.:razz:RB

ratherbefishin
04-04-2008, 07:09 AM
Since I have only used an exomax crossbow-I am not in a position to compare it with other brands as far as noise is concerned-but am told the excaliber crossbows are among the quietest-is that correct?I do know they are quick-very quick-my first shot at 30 yards ,and I was pretty impressed-not sure of the flight time-but it was like in a blink of an eye.I may try for a spring bear with it this year

J_T
04-04-2008, 10:30 AM
am told the excaliber crossbows are among the quietest I guess it depends on who's listening if quiet is important or not. Just shorten up the range.

The moment a bow makes noise, you hope to be releasing on target. I'm very critical of my clothing. There is no clothing that is quiet enough. I'm very critical of my breathing, of my smell. There is no breath that is silent and without scent. There is no human body that is completely free of smell. (Perhaps standing in the smoke of a fire is the best scent mask)

When you're in close, real close, we're taking that animal on their terms, and against their senses. Far different that our assumptions of what is noisy.

huntwriter
04-05-2008, 07:25 PM
I am utterly puzzled! Why is it that each time someone asks a simple question about crossbows it has the be turned into a thread filled with rhetoric and negativity?

Brutus asked the “crossbow experts” if it is possible to hunt with his crossbow in all open seasons or not. This question has been satisfactory answered with a "YES YOU CAN".

Now here we are at page nine, arguing about ethics, accuracy and why it is important to take the bowhunter education course. Why does this always come up when crossbows are mentioned but never when compound and traditional bows are mentioned?

In other words, and no offence to anyone, I am getting a little tired wading through all the negativity to get on the good information.
I wish that the few members that ride on the anti crossbow agenda wagon just could cut it back a bit. Your agenda is well established here and really does not need to be regurgitated in every single crossbow thread.;-)

Thank you.

Caveman
04-05-2008, 07:30 PM

Of course!! Until someone actually reads it and you get a time out. :roll::roll:

By the way, I just bought a Crossbow off of E-Bay and am just waiting for it to arrive..................Anyone care to jump all over me too!! :twisted:

huntwriter
04-05-2008, 07:34 PM
In my years bowhunting, I've had four animals, (in different situations), clearly hear the release and drop, jump the string,...

That’s why I always aim low. If they duck (jump the string) they drop right into the arrow. If they don’t I still get a good lung or even a heart shot.:wink:

J_T
04-05-2008, 08:28 PM
That’s why I always aim low. Aiming low is a good theory, but you (IMHO) shouldn't be doing it because you "expect" the animal to drop, you aim low, because you want a good blood trail. Hitting an animal high will leave very little blood to follow.

Now here we are at page nine, arguing about ethics, accuracy and why it is important to take the bowhunter education course. Why does this always come up when crossbows are mentioned but never when compound and traditional bows are mentioned?

Accuracy comes up because it seems to be important to many, but it is not the important thing in bowhunting. Too many people say they can shoot a 3 inch group and that leads them to believe they are ready to hunt with a bow. We should play down accuracy when bowhunting. What is important in bowhuntin is "certainty". It is important to assist hunters new to bowhunting understand this.

It comes up, because if you are a bowhunter you should be taking the IBEP. Crossbows represent the most obvious cross over opportunity from a rifle hunter exploring opportunity in the bow or bow only opportunity. To be an adept rifle hunter does not mean that the individual will be a solid bowhunter. As a result of their simplicity of use, crossbows - at present - also represent the single biggest pressure point on the bowhunting community from the CO's.

The bowhunting community have a responsibility to address issues that are important, wounding, careless mistakes, poor judgement (Good judgement comes from experience). Many rifle hunters don't know what IBEP is, or how it can enhance their bowhunting experience. The bowhunting community believe IBEP is a well founded short course that will benefit new bowhunters.

Whether crossbows are defined as "archery equipment" in various jurisdictions or not is irrelevant in BC. They are legal archery tackle here. For a variety of reasons, crossbows will be doomed to that activity that bounces around on the fence between archery and "other" or rifle activity. Each person is entitled to his own opinion. But it doesn't remove the crossbow from that place in definititions.

They are legal archery tackle here in BC, and those who are using them have a responsibility - like any hunter - to use them appropriately. I am not for a minute saying most don't. For a rifle hunter the crossbow, provides an easy transition opportunity into archery hunting, and it has been clearly identified that many new users aren't skilled at the intracacies of bowhunting. As an example, scopes used on crossbows may lead the new user to believe they can make a shot, they shouldn't be taking. For any archery tackle a shot beyond 40 yards is questionable. Where would a new user learn that?

The bowhunting community have a responsibility to educate and contribute to the bowhunting skills of new bowhunters.

Repeat medication until cured.

ruttinbuck
04-05-2008, 09:34 PM
By the way, I just bought a Crossbow off of E-Bay and am just waiting for it to arrive..................Anyone care to jump all over me too!! :twisted:
Whatcha got coming in the mail Greg?
We should get out and launch a few arrows this spring.I hope to be under 30 yds from a nice yogi sometime in May.RB

Caveman
04-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Whatcha got coming in the mail Greg?
We should get out and launch a few arrows this spring.I hope to be under 30 yds from a nice yogi sometime in May.RB

Sounds good Doug. It's a three year old Horton Yukon. Looks to be in great shape. Couldn't pass it up!! 150lb with a Horton scope for $245 shipped. Checked out the manufacturers website and even to pick them up through them was at least $500 before shipping with the red dot system. Should make for some fun. I've got an older compound bow and a few broad heads that have never been used hunting. I'm guessing they will probably fit the bolts as well.

Elkhound
04-06-2008, 12:12 AM
Of course!! Until someone actually reads it and you get a time out. :roll::roll:

Not likely. A timeout is for breaking forum rules. An opinion that is said civily is just fine. We even delete posts we agree with personally. We have even banned a friend for breaking rules.:roll:

Bow Walker
04-06-2008, 09:56 AM
Alright. Enuff is enuff. Anything that's legal and will attract new hunters, or even add to the present hunter numbers' time in the bush is OK with me. No one should be putting anyone else down for their preferred method of hunting.

Let's just get out there and enjoy the season(s). If you don't bear hunt - get out and do some scouting. Pack a lunch and make a day of it.

Caveman
04-06-2008, 10:27 AM
If you don't bear hunt - get out and do some scouting. Pack a lunch and make a day of it.

If I follow these guys around, would it be considered baiting and would that make it illegal?????:lol:

Bow Walker
04-07-2008, 12:15 AM
If I follow these guys around, would it be considered baiting and would that make it illegal?????:lol:
Baiting? Yes. :cool:

Illegal? Probably :wink:

Immoral? No. :biggrin:

Phreddy
05-04-2008, 09:30 PM

I'm with you on that one Caveman. I just picked up a used crossbow This weekend while visiting family in Campbell Rkiver. I'm 64 yrs old, and the last time I used anykind of bow it was one I made out of a green maple stick when I was about 7 or 8 yrs old.
Personally I don't give a damn about anyone elses opinion. As mentioned earlier in the thread by many, it's just another fun way to hunt, and I hope to learn as I go. Don't think I'll try getting too fancy though, and will probably limit my shots to about 30-40 paces.