PDA

View Full Version : ghillie suit?

memphis
03-27-2008, 04:35 AM
Does anyone use a Ghillie suit? My dad used to wear one when he went hunting, we made our own to duck hunt when I was younger, do any yall use it to hunt bear, deer etc? I know guys using them with rifles but what about bows?
Wondering if it was worth it to try and piece one together again. Reckon Id have to modify it to use with a Bow but that shouldnt be all that hard.

memphis

betteroffishing
03-27-2008, 08:07 AM
ill bite, what is a ghillie suit??can you describe its appearance/functionality?

holmes76
03-27-2008, 08:20 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghillie_suit

Bowzone_Mikey
03-27-2008, 08:24 AM
ill bite, what is a ghillie suit??can you describe its appearance/functionality?
Other wise known as a sniper suit or a shaggy suit

Ya i have used em ...worked great ... Built my own ... went and found some Camo polar fleece ...tore strips about 2"wide ...and sewed them onto a pair of Brown coveralls I had, made a big hood . Worked great for Bowhunting Praire Mulies, Pronghorn Antelope ... Worked AWESOME in the woods .... you certainly dont look like a Human when your done ...

http://www.ghillie-suits.org/images/ghillie-suit.jpg

find him

http://www.addictedtopaintball.com/image_manager/blacklion3.JPG
http://www.tacticalshotgun.ca/content_nonsub/fieldcraft/camouflage_physical/ghillie_standing_a.jpg

The Dawg
03-27-2008, 08:31 AM
Yep....they work gooooooooooood.....easy enough to make yourself, and there are kits available so you can customize your own. Well worth it IMO

memphis
03-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks guys,
Yeah they worked great when i was duck hunting, good to know i can use one with a bow, ill definatly put another one together when i get home. Bowzone_Mikey, nice suit, I really like how rounded out you had it. took your shape out when you was standing really nice. thanks for the pics and replies

memphis

betteroffishing
03-28-2008, 07:45 AM
thanks , nice looking camo.

Bighorn hunter
03-28-2008, 07:57 AM
These suits may account for a few of the sasquatch sightings.Great job on the suit!

Bowzone_Mikey
03-28-2008, 08:13 AM
. Bowzone_Mikey, nice suit, I really like how rounded out you had it. took your shape out when you was standing really nice. thanks for the pics and replies

memphis

I wish i can take credit ..... those pics were the result of a quick Google search ...

springpin
03-28-2008, 05:21 PM
I have a friend who does the paintball thing, and is a dealer for various items.

He can buy Ghillie suits for 130 bucks, been thinking of buying 1...is that a good deal?

J_T
03-28-2008, 06:58 PM
I know guys using them with rifles but what about bows?
I get the part about bowhunters using them, but I'm not sure I get why a rifle hunter would need to go to that extreme. Unless the terrain has no cover. Still??

memphis
03-29-2008, 07:23 AM
Springpin,
I know a few shops stateside that sell them from $80-200 US. $130 sounds pretty good depending on the quality.

Memphis

Ciskman
04-10-2008, 12:36 PM
I know this thred is a little older, but Ive made several Ghillies. If your going to build your own put strings along with your hessian in the netting to tie in natural cam. Also make it so that your scrim(cam) can disconect with fastx clips, that way you can make 2 different colors. Green and Tan so you can change with the seasons. Id avoid the hood if possible and go with a short brimmed hat/boonie hat. Keeps your cam out of the eyes, make sure the netting on your hat is longer in the back to blend into the rest of your suit

loki
04-10-2008, 05:01 PM
I have a friend who does the paintball thing, and is a dealer for various items.

He can buy Ghillie suits for 130 bucks, been thinking of buying 1...is that a good deal?

Considering you can make one out of old burlap, rags, grass, netting, or really any form of scraps, no that's not a good deal.

Besides, would you buy a Ghillie and expect it to be good all season, in every woods, and never have to change out the suit? That's like buying green summer camo and expecting it to be good in the winter, just doesn't happen.

Ghillie suits are best made from local materials from the area you intend to hunt. Or scout the area and make your old rags look like the colours of the area. For example would you take your green pre-made (or in this case bought) suit into a dry (brown) wheat field and expect it to work, or would you rather come with the base skeleton of the suit and take 20 min to tie wheat into the suit for a perfect brown on brown match? Or reverse the situation and a brown Ghillie in a green field would stand out.

This guy is a good example of tying in local materials...

http://www.addictedtopaintball.com/image_manager/blacklion3.JPG

My $0.02.

Ultimately I've toyed with the idea for bowhunting, but still shy away from it for the GOS as blaze orange isn't the best colour to tie into the suit. Call me paranoid but that just looks like an accident waiting to happen with the punchline of "I was shooting a bush" or similar madness.:eek:

steelheadSABO
05-28-2008, 03:36 PM
you can buy them at your local paintball shop for around 140$$$$

BCLongshot
05-28-2008, 07:10 PM
I used one once. Fell asleep and woke up to a Grizz humping me.

Not a good day.

huntwriter
05-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Best ghillie suit on the market today is the Vanish-Pro from ASAT (http://www.asatcamo.com/) camouflage. I have been wearing one for over 10 years for all my hunting (bow and firearm) and the difference in seeing more game and getting closer to game is just incredible.

ASAT Vanish-Pro sells for US$ 140

I have written a product review based on real life experience that you can read here (http://outdoorswithothmarvohringer.blogspot.com/2006/02/hunting-close-encounters.html)!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/huntwriter/OWOV/test21.jpg

Bowzone_Mikey
05-28-2008, 07:29 PM
No offence writer but in the pic above you are comparing apples to oranges ... the dude on the right is not in a Ghillie suit ... Its just a camo suit ...there is no line breakup ... there is no 3rd diamention to it ...Granted the dude to the left is better concealed ..but still in the wrong stuff for that particular situation and there was no need to circle him cause he sticks out like a sore thumb still

huntwriter
05-28-2008, 11:19 PM
Ah got you Mikey! Both hunters wear an equal camouflage set consisting of a jacket, pant and head cover. The picture shows what humans see and an equal picture (which unfortunately I lost:redface:) taken with a special camera set up that mimics how deer see, the ASAT camouflage completely disappeared on the picture.

The picture was purposely taken with both hunters exposed in the open and looking at it I would say that the hunter on the right is the one sticking out like a candle in the dark and not the one on the left.

ASAT by itself works great and the Vanish-Pro suit, combining the ASAT pattern and ghillie technology is simply the best.

Here is a picture of a hunter wearing the ASAT Vanish-Pro Suit. Notice the hunter sits in front of a tree without any additional cover in front of him. Picture taken 10 feet away from subject.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/huntwriter/OWOV/test11.jpg

Kirby
05-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Huntwriter, take the guy in the ASAT and have him stand in the open. the tree behind him breaks up his outline. Oh and its a darker color which causes the outline to stand out... etc etc

I own and have used a ghille suit, don't bother, they are hot, heavy and a major pain in the ass, and if your a smoker its and excellent way to die. The burlap goes up FAST.
Kirby

Gateholio
05-29-2008, 01:15 PM
I get the part about bowhunters using them, but I'm not sure I get why a rifle hunter would need to go to that extreme. Unless the terrain has no cover. Still??

Predator hunting,using calls. Helps alot, apparently.

Wolfman
05-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Definitely looks like a samsquanch!!!

Bubbles

These suits may account for a few of the sasquatch sightings.Great job on the suit!

115 or bust
06-03-2008, 11:01 PM

Hey wolfman I think we may have proof that the sasquatch does exist and he's a member of HBC ;-)

115 or bust
06-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Never mind maybe I should read the whole thread before writing lol.

jharhod
05-22-2009, 12:24 PM
i always wondered if i was allowed to hunt with a ghillie suit

Fixit
05-22-2009, 12:39 PM
you can hunt in whatever you want... i think gatehouse has been spotted in a pink leotard

i found that while stalking with my brother, the most obvious indicator that i could see in the forest was the light/space inbetween his legs as he walked.

i dont have any picts but it stuck out like a sore thumb /\ (legs) arnt a very natural looking thing. Ive thought about using some gillies suit material to lace up my browning hellsgate camo

BiG Boar
05-22-2009, 12:39 PM
It works better than camo because it has natural shadows. There is no black in a ghillie suit. Camo has black in it, and its usually the black that sticks out.

srupp
05-22-2009, 03:09 PM
I used a Ghillie suit for several years hunting big mulies on a pretty open area..we "customized " the ghillie suit by purposly crawling and "staining" the suit with mud , dirt and the plantlife we were trying to blend in to..the weeds and green plant life did come off and in fact did "color" the burlap material to the exact color of the surrounding vegetation..I had deer come down the trail past me at 6 FEET..and only when the smelled me did the snort and take off..

Steven

RiverBoatFantasy
05-22-2009, 04:24 PM
When I hunt big muleys in the open I sit in my white truck while parked on the snow.
The deer have been known to walk within 6 feet of the truck!

I also sit out in the snow under a white bed sheet. Kinda like a KKK outfit.
"Casper the deer hunter".

Gotta get me one them Ghillie's one day. So I can sit in a farmers field and hunt and not have him see me!

dumprat
05-22-2009, 04:38 PM
What a crock! There has probably been several million deer killed while wearing the Elmer Fudd style red plaid suit. Leave the sniper suit to the mall ninjas.

Spy
05-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Thank's Elmer!

roweste
05-27-2009, 10:23 PM
I would imagine your odds of being shot by a "trigger happy-shoot anything that moves" hunter go up significantley while wearing a ghillie suit?
Unfortunatley those guys are out there.

Bow Walker
05-28-2009, 08:54 AM
People who wear all camo while hunting run the same risk of being shot at by those very same gun carrying idiots. They're NOT hunters, and I won't give them the benefit of that classification. Hunters know what they're shooting at, where it is, and what's behind (down range) of their target.

elkdom
05-28-2009, 09:54 AM
the ORIGINAL ghillie suit!

gary murray
05-28-2009, 02:55 PM
People who wear all camo while hunting run the same risk of being shot at by those very same gun carrying idiots. They're NOT hunters, and I won't give them the benefit of that classification. Hunters know what they're shooting at, where it is, and what's behind (down range) of their target.
Exactly. Can't forget to mention the ones that get shot that aren't wearing camo. It's idiots with guns that see and hear rustling around within the brush and just open fire hoping they hit their target.

RiverBoatFantasy
05-28-2009, 04:55 PM
I have never witnessed this type of behavior, heard of it happening, or ever experienced it first hand.

I suppose I have been fortunate to never be hunting around idiots.

Those types will never be found in the places that I hunt;)

Exactly. Can't forget to mention the ones that get shot that aren't wearing camo. It's idiots with guns that see and hear rustling around within the brush and just open fire hoping they hit their target.

gary murray
05-28-2009, 05:55 PM
I have never witnessed this type of behavior, heard of it happening, or ever experienced it first hand.

I suppose I have been fortunate to never be hunting around idiots.

Those types will never be found in the places that I hunt;)
I may of over did it a little the way i described them lol but anythings possible. When i shoot along with everybody else and along with you on this site, we like to be sure of the direction we're shooting. Houses on the other side, other hunters that we know are in the direction of where our deer is standing etc. The point being that whether you are in camo, ghillie suit or regular clothes, a stray bullet won't discriminate. A good example of that is the guy in the bow hunting thread with a broad head embedded in the back of his skull. Whether it was a drunken game of chicken or someone that actually thought he was going to fill a tag nobody on here knows for sure. He should be thankful that the person wasn't using a rifle because there would be no skull left :oops:. Another good example is the yearly cases of hunters being wounded or killed by other hunters not being sure of their targets.

arcadia
05-28-2009, 10:58 PM
My dad told me of a time he was hunting in the 1970s. He rolled down the window of his truck and asked the other driver of the passing truck if he had seen anything. The other driver and his friend said "No, BUT WE GOT OFF A FEW SOUND SHOTS":eek:. I hope it's safer out there now as my son and I are gonna be hunting this year.

gary murray
05-28-2009, 11:12 PM
A person should go whitetail hunting in Southern Alberta. Big, square fields with roads on all sides and hunters waiting for shooting light in thier trucks and in the ditches on all sides. Houses on all sides, barns, cattle, highways and major county roads.

Bucks running full clip headed for the river bottoms. People shooting and high speed pursuit with pickups.

I am surprised many people, trucks, and homes do not get hit!
Wow.....Almost like a bunch of hillbillies ready to settle a family fued over a parcel of land :eek:.

sfire436
06-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Seems nobody has raised the issue with actually trying to move while wearing these things. I suspect that they are quite noisy to walk in. I take you users are hiking in and then putting it on where you hope to ambush?

gary murray
06-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Seems nobody has raised the issue with actually trying to move while wearing these things. I suspect that they are quite noisy to walk in. I take you users are hiking in and then putting it on where you hope to ambush?
That's about all i would use one for. Get to my blind and put it on. I couldn't imagine walking in it and getting it hooked on every branch and twig i walked by.

Bow Walker
06-13-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm almost certain that the intent of the Ghilie suit is concealment with little or no movement involved. If there is movement I think it's intended to be very slow and very careful movement.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-13-2009, 04:24 PM
movement in a Ghillie is very slow ... A correctly built one allows a pretty good range of motion however ...

I have belly crawled in my Ghillie to a bedded Muley a hair over 400 yrds to get a 20 yards shot ... 3 hours

Bow Walker
06-14-2009, 08:43 AM
movement in a Ghillie is very slow ... A correctly built one allows a pretty good range of motion however ...

I have belly crawled in my Ghillie to a bedded Muley a hair over 400 yrds to get a 20 yards shot ... 3 hours

Now that - IMO - is how a Ghillie was intended to be used.:!:

Good on ya Mikey. 8-)

One Shot
06-14-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm almost certain that the intent of the Ghilie suit is concealment with little or no movement involved. If there is movement I think it's intended to be very slow and very careful movement.

You have hit it on the button.:smile:

Bearen 09
07-22-2009, 03:25 PM
I used one once. Fell asleep and woke up to a Grizz humping me.

Not a good day.
Thats some funny stuff !!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: