PDA

View Full Version : Duramax

CanuckShooter
03-26-2008, 08:25 AM
What is your opinion on the sale value of a 2003 2500HD LS 6.6 Duramax sup/cab with 135,000K, camper tie downs, custom winch bumper, spray in liner, and more?? The truck cost $55,400 in march of 03 [wtax]

swampdonkey
03-26-2008, 08:30 AM
mabey $30000 IF IN GOOD SHAPE WHAT OTHER OPTIONS:lol:

tomahawk
03-26-2008, 08:34 AM
Be careful to find out what your payload is as this is a 3/4 ton with a diesel and if you intend to haul a camper etc in the box you may be limited to what is legal.

elkdom
03-26-2008, 08:49 AM
Check with GM dealer with ID#'s off any duramax,they can give you complete warranty history,02and 03's had injector issues,most were repaired under GM warranty,if not and you have to pay! its ' moucho pesos',also some duramax had head problems factory defect, well kept secret,but nasty suprise if you get to pay for repairs!,extended warranty is good value here!

moosecaller
03-26-2008, 08:53 AM
The value of this would depend on if I was selling it or buying it. Look in the "Kelly Blue Book" online it is pretty close. It's not worth $30,000. Options are nice and add lots of cost to a new truck but really don't add much to used, it's just a bit more lipstick and makeup on the same pig.

CanuckShooter
03-26-2008, 08:53 AM
mabey $30000 IF IN GOOD SHAPE WHAT OTHER OPTIONS:lol:

dual zone heat control, power extending mirrors, undercoated,paint protected,scotchguard on seats,40/20/40...no leather, no heated seats..otherwise has all the usual options. ie cd/air/cruise/etc

no rust, over 900k on a tank of fuel

CanuckShooter
03-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Check with GM dealer with ID#'s off any duramax,they can give you complete warranty history,02and 03's had injector issues,most were repaired under GM warranty,if not and you have to pay! its ' moucho pesos',also some duramax had head problems factory defect, well kept secret,but nasty suprise if you get to pay for repairs!,extended warranty is good value here!

Yup, had the injectors done, and one front hub went bad.....first I have ever heard of any problems with the heads?

moosecaller
03-26-2008, 09:06 AM
You should check on the diesel forums they are a real wealth of information and I found most of the guys are willing to point out all the pros and cons for you. Reading the forums gives you a real good idea of what to look for in your particular vehicle. I am on 2 ford diesel forums and they have been a big help for me.

elkdom
03-26-2008, 09:07 AM
some heads have pourosity issues,simply the casting is pourous leading to very slow amounts of coolant loss,real tricky to diagnose,engine codes go madd,slight loss of coolant,if this ever is problem the only solution is to replace with new heads! and ouch!

Leaseman
03-26-2008, 09:08 AM
Ina good solid retail market with service records, you would be in the mid 20 range with the truck in good shape..... having the internal injectors is what scares off most people, if you had the upgrade done, easier sale....

Mike

tuchodi
03-26-2008, 09:32 AM
I found this form to be very helpfull
www.dieselplace.com (http://www.dieselplace.com)

swampdonkey
03-26-2008, 10:36 AM
dual zone heat control, power extending mirrors, undercoated,paint protected,scotchguard on seats,40/20/40...no leather, no heated seats..otherwise has all the usual options. ie cd/air/cruise/etc

no rust, over 900k on a tank of fuelWHAT SIZE TANK IS THAT MY DAD HAS A 03 HAD HE IS GETTING 600-650KM A TANK AND WITH THOSE OPTIONS THE TRUCK IS MABEY WORTH MID 20S THAT IS MY OPION

Rod
03-26-2008, 11:56 AM
900k to a tank? I have a 02 Duramax (LB7 engine that is aparently better on fuel than the 03) and I run closer to 700k to a tank as long as I drive like my granny... if you have a heavy foot or drive around town alot you can expect it to go down.

I would say mid 20's as well, great trucks that pull all day and never complain and mileage doesn't suffer too much when loaded.

Rod

Fisher-Dude
03-26-2008, 12:28 PM
I'll second the mid-20s valuation (or is it third now?). The LB7s get pretty good mileage, and if it's a long box it has the bigger fuel tank, so 900 km is possible if you grandpa drive it. Don't sweat the payload comment above, it's about 3400 lbs for a 2500HD - ya can't heap enough crap on them to reach the weight limit! They have a 9200 GVW.

The heads issue was an '01/02 problem on the first release of the trucks - shouldn't be a concern for an '03. Ford's still workin' on head issues for the past 5 years so I hear (twin-turbos are poppin' faster than the 6L). :wink:

My buddy has an '03, chipped, beats the hell out of it - no issues at all and he bought it brand new. The injectors should be covered on the emmissions warranty for 200+ km I believe.

wsm
03-26-2008, 08:59 PM
a friend has a 03 6.6 he get about 700km to a tank in city. pushes 850km to a tank on the hwy empty. this past season we went from mission to quesnel on a tank of fuel with with 9.5ft camper trailer and three quads. still had fuel but seems to eat the last quarter fast so we didn't push our luck

Rod
03-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Oh yea GM caved to public pressure in the US and covers injectors for 7 years/200,000 miles. assuming it is the same here that's 320,000km.

calvin L
03-27-2008, 06:34 AM
Yes it is the same here . 7 year 320,000 km . As to the head problem I have been working on the dirty max since new and I have only replace 1 head on a 01 truck . There is more problems with the wheel bearings , and rear axle or hub seals . Also the rear half of the transfer case can have a hole worn in it if a piece of steel brake off .(it is there to stop the pump housing from wearing through the t case housing ) A t case can cost up to $ 4 g's .

calvin L

highcountry88
03-27-2008, 12:55 PM
My hunting buddy just had head problems with his 02 Chevy and with the high cost of the replacement of the heads at 172,000 km and he opted for replacing with a wrecker motor. I think the bill was around $12000. These are some scary numbers, since we all expect to get a bizillion miles out of these diesels. That is part of the reason we buy 'em.
The cost of the this work will definately cut into his hunting budget.

greybark
03-27-2008, 01:33 PM
:biggrin: Can you say Cummins ???? Heh Heh Heh

browningboy
03-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Not to steer off the thread too much, but what the best deisel rig (drivetrain)?
Dodge- weak trannys but new motor sounds kick ass
GMC- sounds like motors having problems
Ford- Turbos?
I'm getting one in the fall but still undecided to which one, I was going for the duramax but now hearing about all these problems???

moosecaller
03-27-2008, 05:43 PM
None of the big northamerican 3 are without problems, you will never own a vehicle that is perfect. I have had good and bad with all 3 I am with a Ford 6.0 now and am very happy with it. Do your regular maintaince and hope for a good one that's all you can do. When I got the 6.0 people said good motor "chip" it believe me it does not need any more power it has plenty, and then I see on the web forums that most of the problems are when guys start modifying these trucks and driving like crazies, then they wonder why'd it break? Keep it stock and maintained. Or if you do mods go with a high flow filter and exhaust these will not put undue strain on the motor, it will help with EGT's and economy.
And of course on a side note in reference to these forums you will hear about problems! Not many go on them when there is no problems to talk about or research, so take what you hear wth a grain of salt. Try them all out and buy the one you like.

wsm
03-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Not to steer off the thread too much, but what the best deisel rig (drivetrain)?
Ford- Turbos?
I'm getting one in the fall but still undecided to which one, I was going for the duramax but now hearing about all these problems???i woked for heads unlimited for 6 yrs and never saw a duramax head wich is funny because we had the contract to do all warranty machining for don carr chev,flag chev,edklassen/barnes wheaton,:roll:

wsm
03-27-2008, 08:13 PM
rear axle flange gasket. now thats a chev full size problem

Leaseman
03-27-2008, 08:17 PM
I have worked for an all makes leasing company for close to 29 years now....

Best bang for your dollar IMO at present is the Duramax..... got strong engine and tranny....great warranty.....quiet and will put the arse out of anything on the market....

Yes, this is my opinion, but I deal with them all.....I feel it is the best, but other makes will come in cheaper....:eek::frown:

Mike

one-shot-wonder
03-27-2008, 08:25 PM
None of the big northamerican 3 are without problems, you will never own a vehicle that is perfect.

Try them all out and buy the one you like.

Good advice. I don't understand why guys chirp back and forth about which is a better brand.

Test drive them all and choose the one you like. That is what i did, and it made the decision very easy.........BTW I bought the Durmamax :redface:

browningboy
03-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Has anyone tried out the new cummins? Supposedly just stupid power that blows the doors off the other two, mileage a little worse, but that's what alot of write ups are saying??

CanuckShooter
03-29-2008, 03:55 PM
I notice in the buy & sells there are lots of Fords & Dodge diesel trucks for sale...and not that many Chev duramax trucks out there, which tells me the Chev is a hot item. With a Chev truck in the year / mileage / options mine are they are priced in the $30+ range...especially if they are not retired work trucks.

My thoughts are to sell off the whole package...truck/8ft okanagan camper/500ho Polaris quad/tandem trailer for $38K. Do you think I'm in the ballpark?? What say you apester??

moosecaller
03-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Or on the other hand Chev could not be as popular for whatever reason and there is not a lot of them around to sell? If you are looking in the local buy&sell this is really a Ford/Dodge town, as far as diesels go anyway.

CanuckShooter
03-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Or on the other hand Chev could not be as popular for whatever reason and there is not a lot of them around to sell? If you are looking in the local buy&sell this is really a Ford/Dodge town, as far as diesels go anyway.

Nope...lots of Chev duramax trucks around town, just not that many for sale, which means the current owners are hanging onto them. Creature comforts and 24+ mpg hard to beat that.

ape
03-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Sounds like a a good place to start. It is always harder to raise the price than it is to drop it. Good luck my friend.

I notice in the buy & sells there are lots of Fords & Dodge diesel trucks for sale...and not that many Chev duramax trucks out there, which tells me the Chev is a hot item. With a Chev truck in the year / mileage / options mine are they are priced in the $30+ range...especially if they are not retired work trucks.

My thoughts are to sell off the whole package...truck/8ft okanagan camper/500ho Polaris quad/tandem trailer for $38K. Do you think I'm in the ballpark?? What say you apester??

Leaseman
03-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Not trying to burst your bubble....being in the business, you would be extremely lucky to get 25k for the truck alone.... to get 38k, is the rest of the package worth over 13k????....package deals always get a lower selling price......canopies, running boards etc., etc., bring no extra values to vehicles, or at best .10-.15 cents on the dollar......

Mike

srupp
03-29-2008, 09:17 PM
sheeeesh...Mike Mike Mike...Buddy..its a CHEV...Not a TRUCK..

Steven

CanuckShooter
03-30-2008, 07:25 AM
Not trying to burst your bubble....being in the business, you would be extremely lucky to get 25k for the truck alone.... to get 38k, is the rest of the package worth over 13k????....package deals always get a lower selling price......canopies, running boards etc., etc., bring no extra values to vehicles, or at best .10-.15 cents on the dollar......
Mike

Well now if the Chev had 250,000 K on it, and had been used by a logging contractor in the bush, and it was dented, and the paint was all scratched up......... you would be correct...you'd be extremely lucky to get $25,ooo for it.

If you can find a low mileage Chev Duramax diesel for under $25K you should buy it because it would be one hell of a steal of a deal !!!!

IN fact one of my friends that lives in Walnut Grove is in the market....Mike you got a nice low mileage Duramax you could hook him up with for say around $20-25K I'll send him your way.

Fisher-Dude
03-30-2008, 11:46 AM
There was an '03 on the lot when I bought my '07 in Dec '06. It was an SLT loaded leather etc with 115K and they said $30,900. I wouldn't pay more than the high 20s for an LS a year+ later.

I didn't buy the '03 'cause the new leather smelled so nice in the new '07 truck I bought. That smell cost me an extra $37,000. :biggrin:

scoot
03-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Nope...lots of Chev duramax trucks around town, just not that many for sale, which means the current owners are hanging onto them. Creature comforts and 24+ mpg hard to beat that.

I am not sure where the 24 mpg came from. My experience driving a new 6.6, 2008 Duramax I put on 344 k's and put 89 litres in the truck. this was about 2/3 on the highway. Canadian Gallons, that is about 10 MPG. I don't care how hard a guy is on the throttle, 10 MPG is terrible.

Fisher-Dude
03-30-2008, 02:50 PM
I am not sure where the 24 mpg came from. My experience driving a new 6.6, 2008 Duramax I put on 344 k's and put 89 litres in the truck. this was about 2/3 on the highway. Canadian Gallons, that is about 10 MPG. I don't care how hard a guy is on the throttle, 10 MPG is terrible.

I just got back last night from Vancouver (flew to Mexico from there). Hit 160 kmh a few times :redface: on the Coq, cruised mostly at 120 - 130 and still got 20.5 mpg with my '07 LBZ. Driving slower on the way down with fog/snowstorms and using lots of 4x4, I got 22 mpg. Worst I ever get strictly in town is 16 - 17 mpg.

ohno
03-31-2008, 11:38 AM
Everyone talks Mi/Gal, but never qualify what units they are using.

21 Mi/Imp Gal is the same as 17.5 Mi/Gal(US)
Which is equivalent to 13L/100km which is not bad mileage for a full size rig.

Leaseman
03-31-2008, 12:20 PM
Canuckshooter-

The SLT/LT trucks are going for close to $30,000 which are the full load, leather, bucket seats and around 140,000ish kms....SLE/LS are right in the 25 range and the SL's are below that....all depends on where you are located and what equipment you want......prices are usually a starting point for the actual sale....:shock:

Yes they do get purchased fast and these are through dealers and at dealer pricing.... you will always find prices a little higher than off a private sale as with a dealer, you must have the vehicle serviced, repaired, inspected for ext warranties, detailed and put on sale..... never mind any advertising....

I have checked our 6 dealers and we have no Duramax's around at present. Yes they are popular and sell quickly IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

Mike

scoot
03-31-2008, 12:56 PM
I just got back last night from Vancouver (flew to Mexico from there). Hit 160 kmh a few times :redface: on the Coq, cruised mostly at 120 - 130 and still got 20.5 mpg with my '07 LBZ. Driving slower on the way down with fog/snowstorms and using lots of 4x4, I got 22 mpg. Worst I ever get strictly in town is 16 - 17 mpg.

That would be Canadian gallons 4.54 L. my bad.

not sure why it was soooo bad in this truck.

browningboy
04-01-2008, 08:30 AM
A buddy of mine just bought a 07 LTZ Silverado in florida with 1700 miles on it for 34K Canadian, it has absoletly everything in it, even the headrests have LCD's in them! The truck has a 6" lift, 37" tires, winch etc.. and it will cost him 2200.00 to ship up here, not too shabby! I believe a truck like that up here would be 54ish K?
Mike , not saying for me but??
I also heard that the warranty can't be "voided" because of??? Don't quote me but just heard that if the vehicle is paid for that it shouldn't matter where it goes, the manufacturer still has to provide a warranty for its product regardless of country, when a Canadian vehicle was shipped down south, it still maintained a warranty, so why wouldn't it go both ways? I remeber when our dollar was at 70 cents and I couldn't find a decent vehicle (used) up here because the americans were buying them all and the dealers never really cared, as long as they're making money and selling, now that the roles are reversed, I find it strange that they are incinuating that we buy up here yet could save 10's of thousands across the line?? Double standard?
Anyhow I do support our local economy but just stating what I've been noticing.
Anyhow, I'll duck now Mike!LOL

fowl language
04-01-2008, 08:44 AM
leaseman is bang on ,i have an 04 1 ton club with the same options and 104k and i paid 30k taxs in. it seems the injector issue scares some people off. ....fowl

MDG3
04-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Not to steer off the thread too much, but what the best diesel rig (drivetrain)?
Ford- Turbos?
I'm getting one in the fall but still undecided to which one, I was going for the duramax but now hearing about all these problems???

On the Dodges- Lots of power, new tranny MAY be better(from what I've heard), but... with the new emission crap on them now,(6.7 Cummins) their mileage has suffered to the point of the other 2 brands.

IMHO, for the Dodge, find a pre-2007.5 ... 5.9 Cummins for more than amply power and fuel mileage.

Husky7mm
04-19-2008, 12:21 PM
The value of this would depend on if I was selling it or buying it. Look in the "Kelly Blue Book" online it is pretty close. It's not worth $30,000. Options are nice and add lots of cost to a new truck but really don't add much to used, it's just a bit more lipstick and makeup on the same pig.
KELLY BLUE BOOK is an american book it wont be much help unless your buying in the states. Canadian black book is avaliable on line for wholesale and retail. Look on buysell or canada trader for the high, low and average. If the truck is in the same range and you like it buy it. Life is short don't spend it shopping for the truck. Duramax diesels are excellent. 2001 to 2003 models have injector warranty to 320000 k's. Get a mechanic to inspect the truck before you buy it. Cheers

Husky7mm
04-19-2008, 12:35 PM
opps I didnt know you were selling it I didnt read far enough ahead. Good luck.

Husky7mm
04-19-2008, 12:37 PM
That would be Canadian gallons 4.54 L. my bad.

not sure why it was soooo bad in this truck.
2008s are a different moter and emmissons agian, and it probably needs to brake in still.

rocksteady
04-19-2008, 02:01 PM
I use this site for info...

http://www.nadaguides.com/usedcars.aspx?LI=1-21-0-5002-844-923-59881&l=1&w=21&p=1&f=5004

NADA stand for National Auto Dealer Association or something like that....

Kind of cool, it will give you all the options that were available fo rthat specific year of vehicle....

sparkymacker
04-19-2008, 05:21 PM
If you want a Duramax or any other full sized truck, get one out of Texas. An acquaintance of mine just picked up a new Tundra and had it delivered to Spokane....cool savings of 17K. The diesel trucks are extremely cheap down there, a crew cab Duramax a couple of years old with low km would probably be under 30K by the time you got it up here.