PDA

View Full Version : buffalo hunts

grumpy
03-25-2008, 01:52 PM
does anyone know where you could hunt a buffalo for meat thats not leh?

willy442
03-25-2008, 01:57 PM
Lots of places available here in the North. Rhyason Ranch is one they charge 600.00 bucks. You shoot it they skin and quarter it an load it into your truck along with head and hide if you wish. Animals are 18 to 20 months old and are premium meat. Ph. 250-785-0515 talk to Shawn

Kody94
03-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Or calling them in with a bucket of oats. :)

Bison is the best eating there is IMHO. My Pa just go out of it though, so now I have to actually shoot stuff during hunting season.

Seeadler
03-25-2008, 02:57 PM
For people that cannot get drawn in the LEH, do any outfitters have a quota?

03-25-2008, 03:11 PM
If you actually want to hunt bison, you can use a guide/outfitter and hunt the bison in Wood Buffalo National Park. These are truly wild bison, and a hybrid between wood and plains bison, so can be massive. From what I understand it is a tough hunt, but I'm sure it would be a thrill.

I think the outfitter up there is "Boss Outfitting", but that's going from my memory, which can be quite unreliable (or so my wife says);)

Bighorn hunter
03-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Mike Hammet of Sikanni River Outfitters has a good # of tags. His web site has the contact info.

BHH

Wolfman
03-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Lots of places available here in the North. Rhyason Ranch is one they charge 600.00 bucks. You shoot it they skin and quarter it an load it into your truck along with head and hide if you wish. Animals are 18 to 20 months old and are premium meat. Ph. 250-785-0515 talk to Shawn

Geez, that sounds cheap.

Wolfman

srupp
03-25-2008, 04:44 PM
$600 WOW...here in DA POND one of the RCMP last year??2 years ago??shot a "ranch " buffalo the meat, head , hide, horns cost him $2,000...

So hell for $600 Id go shoot one best meat going.

Steven

ex bc guide
03-25-2008, 04:48 PM
Any where between 4-600$$ is not out of the norm, this is the going rate for most ranches,I personally get one every year for this price.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Geez, that sounds cheap.

Wolfman

And the price has gone up quite a bit in the last two years.
If you're coming home from up north empty it can be worth stopping in to pick one up.

SSS

Caveman
03-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Geez, that sounds cheap.

Wolfman

I'll say, because I know that a guy at the Wild Sheep Banquet paid $1500 to assist in the harvest of a bison on a ranch. He said he was going to give it to his dad.

EvanG
03-25-2008, 06:10 PM
I would check out stikinni river outfitters, has a good reputation, even donated a resident bison hunt for the auction at the wild sheep societies banquet, would love to know how much some of those hunts went for if anyone knows.

EvanG
03-25-2008, 06:11 PM
hey caveman ,what did the alberta pronghorn hunt go for

ARC
03-25-2008, 06:13 PM
hey caveman ,what did the alberta pronghorn hunt go for

I think it went for $4000

EvanG
03-25-2008, 06:18 PM
I checked out that outfitters website and thats the going rate, Definatley some potential for an awesome buck.

kgriz
03-25-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm not sure about right now, but in previous years you could go near the border of Wood Buffalo park and shoot Bufallo without Leh or a tag due to a TB scare; I wouldn't chance eating it but maybe take the trophy if the animal acted and looked healthy. I know this sounds crazy but I'm sure it has been available in the last couple of years as me and my work partner looked into the symptoms of TB in Buff and looked into access and the cost of an airplane etc. Could warrant some investigation.

David Heitsman
03-25-2008, 07:04 PM
The bison from Sikanni River Outfitters sold at the WSSoBC auction for $4900. Last year we got $7000 for it. I think they (SRO) will sell you a trip for around $6,000.

Their tag auctioned for 6500 as I recall at the GOABC auction this weekend in Victoria. The outfit south of them donated a bison hunt as well and it sold for right around $5,000. I guess that gives you an idea of what a free-ranging B & C eligible hunt will cost.

(Or you could wait for the rest of your life to get drawn...)

kgriz
03-25-2008, 07:11 PM
I don't feel like investigating it further than this but I quickly searched and found this info on-line, so there is prob. still some truth to what I previously said:
Except in the designated Bison Management Area, bison roaming outside WBNP in Alberta are not considered wildlife under the regulations of the province's Wildlife Act and as such are not protected and are subject to unregulated hunting. In the area near WBNP re-establishment or growth of existing free-ranging herds is not a desirable goal until the issue of cattle diseases is resolved. Current regulations limit the re-establishment of wood bison populations in a large section of original wood bison range in Alberta. The regulations have generated conflict between the Little Red River Cree Nation/Tall Cree First Nation and non-aboriginal hunters who attempt to take bison in the Wentzel River area. These aboriginal groups wish to protect the Wentzel River herd for a period of time to facilitate studies on disease presence and prevalence, movement patterns, and habitat requirements. The First Nations have expressed a desire to hunt disease-free, free-ranging bison herds in the Caribou Lower Peace Region in the long-term. A management plan has not been developed to achieve this objective however, the objective was identified in the National Wood Bison Recovery Plan (Gates et al. 2001).

Kody94
03-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Its not uncommon for ranchers to charge $1500 to $2500 for large breeding bulls.

$400 to $600 is usually for 1.5 to 2.5 yo bulls (or heifers, or even surplus cows).

Sikanni Stalker
03-25-2008, 11:28 PM
I bought one from sewals outside of dawson last year hanging from his tractor, gutted, skinned, and halved for 250. 18 month bull. 3 yr old cows too same price. he killed them but if you just want some meat and you want to pull the trigger he may consider. I don't know the legalities of domestic critterz.

definitely talk to Mike @ SRO about his surplus though I know he is always looking for guides and may horse trade part of the cost or somthing.

The Hermit
03-25-2008, 11:52 PM
If you actually want to hunt bison, you can use a guide/outfitter and hunt the bison in Wood Buffalo National Park. These are truly wild bison, and a hybrid between wood and plains bison, so can be massive. From what I understand it is a tough hunt, but I'm sure it would be a thrill.

I think the outfitter up there is "Boss Outfitting", but that's going from my memory, which can be quite unreliable (or so my wife says);)

I have a funny story about Wood Buffalo bisons and verify that they are friggin HUGE! I was living in Fort Smith and a friend and I decided to do a hike in WBPark to see a couple lakes and the sink holes and of course any wild life we might come across. We drove to the end of the trail and left my car and carried on to the trail head in her car. On the way we saw lots of bison and came across one small herd of about 8 - 10 that were ambling along the dusty double track we were traveling on. We drove right up close and honked the horn many times and they just wouldn't get of the road. Finally after about 3 km of this there was a wider patch with a field that we used to get around them. That was prety cool we thought!

About another five Km we pulled off and parked the Samuri and took off on our hike. Saw lots of game and explored the sinkholes etc and finally got to my car tired and hungry and of course drove back to pick up her little car. Couldn't believe my eyes... the bison must have been really pissed off at us because they TRASHED the Samuri on their way past! Flattened the spare tire, totalled the tail gate, smashed in the doors, windows, and front fenders. Thankfully they didn't attack the front bumper and rad etc. Broken windows the whole nine yards... looked like the car had been hit by a truck and rolled!

Lesson learned... treat these beasts as dangerous game!

srupp
03-26-2008, 01:03 AM
A Paramedic buddy and I went to Dawson Creek 8 years ago..he had "bought" a buffalo hunt..when we got there he was advised that due to the fact the previous"hunt" had resulted in a wounded buffalo running through..I meanTHROUGH the side of the barn and glass sliding doors of his house he could no longer offer this "hunting" so Roger just bought a buffalo..and we drove home..exellent table fare..my favorite..

Steven

alremkin
03-26-2008, 01:07 AM

I've been to Rhyason's twice last time they charged me $100/night to stay in theor bunkhouse after I'd put in for a Limitted Entry Elk Tag. Before if you bought a buffalo you couls stay a couple of days in the bunkhouse for free I'd been counting on that. It may have changed back again I haven't been there for a year or so. Brad was running the ranch then. Of course moneywise it chaeper to buy the meat in the meat market. Mike Dimassimo told me he was elling buffalo sides for $2.8/lb, but he's moved on as well. That was a little over a year ago.

If you go make a post about it and let us know if there are any changes and what they're doing now for prices and bunkhouse stay.

wickit
03-26-2008, 06:57 AM
I don't know todays price of buffalo on the hoof.But at one time $600 was more than they were worth at a sale. It is a cheap source of meat and damm good eatin.

Wolfman
03-26-2008, 10:48 AM
I have a funny story about Wood Buffalo bisons and verify that they are friggin HUGE! I was living in Fort Smith and a friend and I decided to do a hike in WBPark to see a couple lakes and the sink holes and of course any wild life we might come across. We drove to the end of the trail and left my car and carried on to the trail head in her car. On the way we saw lots of bison and came across one small herd of about 8 - 10 that were ambling along the dusty double track we were traveling on. We drove right up close and honked the horn many times and they just wouldn't get of the road. Finally after about 3 km of this there was a wider patch with a field that we used to get around them. That was prety cool we thought!

About another five Km we pulled off and parked the Samuri and took off on our hike. Saw lots of game and explored the sinkholes etc and finally got to my car tired and hungry and of course drove back to pick up her little car. Couldn't believe my eyes... the bison must have been really pissed off at us because they TRASHED the Samuri on their way past! Flattened the spare tire, totalled the tail gate, smashed in the doors, windows, and front fenders. Thankfully they didn't attack the front bumper and rad etc. Broken windows the whole nine yards... looked like the car had been hit by a truck and rolled!

Lesson learned... treat these beasts as dangerous game!

I strayed into a buffalo range once near Waterton park and got chased by a big bull. They are mighty fast too!!! ;-)

Wolfman