PDA

View Full Version : Places to Sight in around kelowna or westbank?

Junorr500
03-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Are there any good free places to Sight in a rifle around kelowna or westbank? Just moved to the area.

boxhitch
03-25-2008, 06:13 AM
You will have to get out of town a ways.
Or buck up, and join the Club.

Big Daddy Ryan
03-25-2008, 07:23 AM
I like heading up Chute Lake Road lots of nice clearings where you can sight a rifle in and shoot some long distance targets as well.

phoenix
03-25-2008, 07:27 AM
Where abouts in Kelowna are you? Lots of side roads here, Postill Lake, Chute Lake, Beaver Lake, Bata FSR are all good. Tell us where you are and we'll tell you where to go, lol. I even have a nice 50yd range in my yard!
Kim

Junorr500
03-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Im in Westbank

Stone Sheep Steve
03-25-2008, 04:42 PM
The Peachland club has a new rifle range up Princeton Ave at the old dump site. Don't know for sure if it is up and running yet. Maybe Flinch knows more details.
Membership only costs $35 IIRC and it includes a BCWF membership. Can't beat that value8).

Kelowna F&G membership costs around $90 but they have a lot more to offer in the way of facilities. Drop in (which has to be with a member )is now up to $15 a session.....but with the cost of fuel these days this may be a bargain:roll:.

Not many places around to shoot in the bush until the snow melts a lot more.

SSS

phoenix
03-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Westside Rd., Bear Creek area just make sure you are in quite a ways with a good backstop as it is a busy area. Just up the Coq there are lots of backroads, less busy than BC but still make sure of your backstop.
Kim

Fisher-Dude
03-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Join one of the clubs. If you're new to the area it's a great way to meet lots of folks who share your interests that can give you lots of tips on where to fish and hunt here! And, you get the advantage of using a proper gun range with benches and measured targets to sight your gun in - you really can't be that accurate shooting off an old stump, IMO.

Junorr500
03-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Like the sound of the Dump site up Princton. Anyone have more info on that?

Stone Sheep Steve
03-26-2008, 07:33 AM
Like the sound of the Dump site up Princton. Anyone have more info on that?

Flinch is the VP of the Peachland Sportsman's Association. Hopefully, he'll see this thread.....if not send him a PM.....or give Al Springer (the President) a call. He's in the book.

SSS

Phoneguy
03-26-2008, 08:54 AM
If a local from the Peachland club is reading this I would be interested in knowing if they will allow day use, or have rates/whatever for out of town people. I already belong to a local club and don't need a second BCWF membership. My inlaws live in Peachland and it would be nice to have a site in place, or a place to take the kids when we come up.

Where at the dump site? Is that where the big yard waste recycling area is?

James

Flinch
03-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Peachland Club does not have a range up Princeton Ave, although some guys do shoot up there from what I understand. A membership with Peachland gets an associate membership with the Summerland Club where there are full range facilities. The trouble with informal ranges in the bush is they can turn into a real mess if people are not respectful, but I don't think I need to lecture anyone on that now do I!:wink:

I don't have any specifics as to where people shoot there "up near the old dump" is all I have ever heard.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-26-2008, 09:15 AM
Peachland Club does not have a range up Princeton Ave, although some guys do shoot up there from what I understand. A membership with Peachland gets an associate membership with the Summerland Club where there are full range facilities. The trouble with informal ranges in the bush is they can turn into a real mess if people are not respectful, but I don't think I need to lecture anyone on that now do I!:wink:

I don't have any specifics as to where people shoot there "up near the old dump" is all I have ever heard.

Mike M was telling me that the town of Peachland made a deal to let the PSA use the old dump site for a range. Maybe the deal is still in the early stages???
I'll bug him some more the next time I see him.

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
03-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Talked to my source and got things straightened out.

There was a handfull of guys using the old dump site. It was put in front of the town to get permission to use "officially" use it but it was a "no go"...so it remains locked.

There is evidence of people using an area just up the Spring Lk road but, personally, I wouldn't use it as it doesn't seem safe enough to me.

SSS