PDA

View Full Version : Finding color phase bears

Nalidixic
03-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Evening everyone,
So... This year I want to go for a color phase spring bear for a rug. Size doesn't matter, color does. How do you best find a colored bear? Is it just luck? I know that genetics have to do with it somehow, so are the colored bears usually in pockets throughout the province? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

rocksteady
03-24-2008, 06:36 PM
From what I have been told the highest percentage of off color bears is in the West Kootenays.......

Tinney
03-24-2008, 07:02 PM
Region 5 near quesnel heading west has a lot of coloured bears

Call of the Wild
03-24-2008, 07:06 PM
haaaaa Bear Bear in northern Alberta.

I count resist

Thunderstix
03-24-2008, 07:10 PM
Drive up the Nass highway and fill your boots.

Tinney
03-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Drive up the Nass highway and fill your boots.

:lol: Who wants to drive that far to hunt bears?

sealevel
03-24-2008, 07:40 PM
I saw a lot of color phase last year in the salmon arm , chase ,country must have seen 16 or so.

EvanG
03-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Almost half of all bears ive seen in the chilcotin last fall were cinnamon. As well as a few BIG browns near squamish.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Dryer areas of the interior.

SSS

ryanb
03-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Really, Squamish? I've never seen a colour phase around there in my life, having seen at least a hundred in that area. Inland is the place to look, cariboo, region 3, both have plenty.

Thunderstix
03-24-2008, 08:30 PM
:lol: Who wants to drive that far to hunt bears?
Some of us actually list where we are from on our profiles;-):smile:

GoatGuy
03-24-2008, 08:56 PM

SSS

Bang on. ;-)

tufferthandug
03-24-2008, 09:27 PM

Yup.

Here's a couple pics of the colours you get out there.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/tufferthandug/FridaySept05222.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/tufferthandug/Wednesday027.jpg

tomahawk
03-24-2008, 10:22 PM

Agree, used to see lots of colour north of Quesnel but never could get any in bow range.

bsa30-06
03-24-2008, 10:46 PM

SSS

Thats what i have been told aswell....The hotter and dryer the greater the number of colored phase bears.

ohno
03-25-2008, 08:28 AM
This is one I saw last year near Kamloops. He was not very big. I posted a video of him in a thread last summer.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/ColourPhase.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=8789&size=big&cat=)

sealevel
03-25-2008, 08:35 AM
I have never seen a blond blackbear but i would like to.

stickbow
03-25-2008, 09:00 AM
Almost half of all bears ive seen in the chilcotin last fall were cinnamon. As well as a few BIG browns near squamish.
Those "big browns" you saw in squamish might not have been blackies

BCrams
03-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Your best opportunity for a coloured bear is between Liard Hot Springs and the Yukon border along the highway bar none.

You will see coloured bears every day. We took 3 cinnamon bears in 2 days. One 5'8" first morning, a 6'5" footer that afternoon and then I took a 5' 6" bear the next morning.

MichelD
03-25-2008, 10:19 AM
I've seen a cinnamon coloured blackie near Squamish. A guy I took there shot it in fact. My other partner saw a brownish smaller one there the year before, and another guy I met once said he saw one up behind the Furry Creek golf course.

Barracuda
03-25-2008, 10:26 AM
The dryer and hotter the climate the greater chance of lighter bears.

most of the coast bears seem to be black .

Stone Sheep Steve
03-25-2008, 11:03 AM
There are colored bears in some of the wetter places in the province. Saw a few brownies while grzz hunting last year and it wasn't what you would call a dry climate.....but I bet I see close to 50% colored bears where I hunt.

SSS

rollingrock
03-25-2008, 11:54 AM
I've seen a cinnamon coloured blackie near Squamish. A guy I took there shot it in fact. My other partner saw a brownish smaller one there the year before, and another guy I met once said he saw one up behind the Furry Creek golf course.

as soon as I saw the 'big brownie' in one of my spots I stopped bringing my SKS for deer hunting in that area. not a wise thing to do:razz:. now I'm slinging my good ole iron sight Mosin loaded with 174 gr. but I have seen blonde, brown, cinemon colored bears in that area.

The Hermit
03-25-2008, 11:38 PM
I killed a color phased bear last spring on the island, black and brown and tan.

riflebuilder
03-26-2008, 06:36 AM
I have never seen a color Phase bear on the Island. Good for you that is a rare one

shotgunjohn
03-26-2008, 07:41 AM
Saw a black sow with one black cub and one chocolate cub in Sqaumish two years ago.

Seeadler
03-26-2008, 12:55 PM
I killed a color phased bear last spring on the island, black and brown and tan.

I thought the literature always said there were no colour phase bears on VI.

I see the odd cinnamon or chocolate coloured one in the EK. never seen a blonde one.

Mr. Dean
03-26-2008, 01:04 PM
I thought the literature always said there were no colour phase bears on VI.

I see the odd cinnamon or chocolate coloured one in the EK. never seen a blonde one.

I've seen well over 100 Island Bears, all were black as black could be.
I think Hermit won the lottery...

sealevel
03-26-2008, 01:28 PM
I have never seen or heard of a color phase on VI . and i have met and known some of the old time hunters around alberni and parksville. But with all the critters being moved about i have no dought some colored genes are getting over there.

Seeadler
03-26-2008, 02:11 PM
I have never seen or heard of a color phase on VI . and i have met and known some of the old time hunters around alberni and parksville. But with all the critters being moved about i have no dought some colored genes are getting over there.

Yeah, didn't a grizzly show up there the other year?

GoatGuy
03-26-2008, 02:55 PM

There have been two on the island - both were killed in short order.

RiverOtter
03-26-2008, 03:29 PM
There have been two on the island - both were killed in short order.

Do we even want to know how they got there??

I assume they didn't swim...:roll:

RO

Mr. Dean
03-26-2008, 04:06 PM

Do we even want to know how they got there??

I assume they didn't swim...:roll:

RO

That's the thought.

sealevel
03-26-2008, 04:21 PM
A bear could easly ride a log boom or a barge . with all the stuff that gets towed back and forth a bear could hitch a ride

EvanG
03-26-2008, 05:24 PM
Ya It was a giant cinnamon sow with two cinnamon cubs as well as a smaller dark brown bear all in the squamish valley

chilcotin hillbilly
03-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Anderson river forestery road in Boston bar 50 % in the past.

boxhitch
03-26-2008, 06:16 PM
I've seen well over 100 Island Bears, all were black as black could be.
I think Hermit won the lottery...Spread the word, the Spirit Bear is coming to the Island !! Alls someone has to do is fudge a photo of a Kermode into the P. A. area, then watch the tourism rise !!:twisted:

dana
03-26-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm surprised that some of you 'Science' based thinkers believe in the 'dry climate theory. Colouring is genetic. Sure a older brown bear can turn blonde due to exposure to long periods of sunshine in it's life, but it still was born brown. :)

Here in the Interior Wetbelt we run about 30% colour phase.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-26-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm surprised that some of you 'Science' based thinkers believe in the 'dry climate theory. Colouring is genetic. Sure a older brown bear can turn blonde due to exposure to long periods of sunshine in it's life, but it still was born brown. :)

Who said anything about "Science"?? My 50% estimation on color phase was from what I've seen in the field. I thought you prefer "field observations" over anything scientific, anyhow?? :D
Oh ya.....only if it's your own..........:D.

SSS

GoatGuy
03-27-2008, 10:03 AM

I'm pretty sure I read a paper a couple years ago that in dryer/inland areas the bears tend to be more colour phase than wet areas and that it is a regional issue to a degree associated with precip. Don't have it on hand.

There was also some talk about coastal bears are genetically different from inland bears.

Other than you, I don't think anyone was associating sun light exposure with colour phase. Genetic characteristics are usually a response to an environmental conditions over a long period of time. Incidence of colour phase in wet areas is significantly lower than in dryer climates and there are papers to support that.

I also remember some black bears have also been found to actually change colour - kinda neat. Nobody knows to what degree but still kind of cool.

Mr. Dean
03-27-2008, 10:31 AM
I also remember some black bears have also been found to actually change colour - kinda neat. Nobody knows to what degree but still kind of cool.

That is COOL! :cool:

who'd thought...

boxhitch
03-27-2008, 12:17 PM
More tales of bear color-
-most colored bears are young, and change color with maturity.
-most color phase bears are sows.
-the change of brunette to blond may have something to do with sun, the ratio is quite high on the Okanagan beaches.

springpin
03-27-2008, 12:20 PM
that blonde bear is awsome...have not seen any color phased bears round Golden..

Ron.C
03-27-2008, 12:58 PM
We saw a sow black bear with 4 yearling cubs last year in the Cranbrook Area. The sow and 3 of the cubs were very light brown, and the 4th cub was jet black? It was pretty cool to see, and apparently they sure like cow elk calls!!!

#1fishslayer
03-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Dont worry about bear hunting and get busy working on another job for me.lol You could always shoot a dump bear and buy some hair dye.