PDA

View Full Version : Black bear hunting around Powell River

sawyer
03-24-2008, 07:00 AM
Hello

I have recently moved to Powell River and I am planning on doing some black bear hunting this spring.

I have not hunted black bear before and was hoping some of you guys would have some advice for me.

Does predator calling word for black bear?

Where are good places to look?

Any advice will help!

Thanks

Ryan

Dad and son
03-24-2008, 08:24 AM
A few people use Predator calls for Black bear, but that is not the most common way they are hunted in BC. In the spring bears are primarily eating green grass, so wherever you find grass you will find bears. Most hunters look in cut blocks or on the south side of hills (as the south side gets the green grass first). There are usually lots of bears around so they are not hard to find.

Thunderstix
03-24-2008, 08:44 AM
Welcome.....finally!:smile: To HBC!

sawyer
03-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Thanks Thunderstix! your help was appreciated!

Anyone in the Powell River area with advice on specific areas to look? When they will start coming out? and when the best part of the season is to go out.

I will probably be hunting after work so for the most part I will only get a few hours a night.

Geo.338
03-25-2008, 06:33 PM
Welcome Sawyer . I too live in Powell River .There are lots of places to look for blackies around here .They start to come out in the 2nd week of april .If you only have short windows to get out after work the back of Haslam lake is close to town and you will see bears back there .I will pm you with some areas .Geo.338