PDA

View Full Version : UV light

rickt
03-22-2008, 05:53 PM
I was doing some research reading recently and found that some critters see some part or all of the UV light spectrum.

I also found that 90% of laundry detergents include UV britghners.

Acquiring No UV brightners detergent was no problem. My concern is checking unwashable gear?

A UV light would be the obvious answer but I'm having trouble finding one.

Anyone got any hints?

Rickt

ChrisL
03-22-2008, 07:42 PM
I was doing some research reading recently and found that some critters see some part or all of the UV light spectrum.

I also found that 90% of laundry detergents include UV britghners.

Acquiring No UV brightners detergent was no problem. My concern is checking unwashable gear?

A UV light would be the obvious answer but I'm having trouble finding one.

Anyone got any hints?

Rickt

Home Depot sells black light fluorescent tubes. You can buy the fixture and tube pretty cheaply. There is one caveat, the UV spectrum is pretty big. A fluorescent UV bulb won't cover all of it, but certainly enough to see bleached white clothing glow.

BTW, what critters see in UV? I know bees can, but I didn't think any thing big enough to hunt could.

Chris.

Beardy
03-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Most birds see in UV, that's why most of them (especially males) tend to be really colorful, impresses the ladies (I'm actually a wildlife biologist). Having that said, I would expect most waterfowl and game birds to be sensitive to UV reflective clothing. As for large game, most mammals don't have color vision and most of them (if not all of them -> I'm sure you could find an exception somewhere if you do the research) are not sensitive to UV lighting.

Hope this helps!

browningboy
03-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Most birds see in UV, that's why most of them (especially males) tend to be really colorful, impresses the ladies (I'm actually a wildlife biologist). Having that said, I would expect most waterfowl and game birds to be sensitive to UV reflective clothing. As for large game, most mammals don't have color vision and most of them (if not all of them -> I'm sure you could find an exception somewhere if you do the research) are not sensitive to UV lighting.

Hope this helps!

Out of curiousity, how did someone know that the animals can't see colour, UV etc...

Elkhound
03-23-2008, 12:00 AM
Out of curiousity, how did someone know that the animals can't see colour, UV etc...

Disection and High magnification. Check things like rods and cones in the eye as well as the crystalline lens (which horses and some other animals with long necks don't have) Then they can determine what capabilities that eye may or may not have.

bc sportsman
03-23-2008, 12:33 AM
In my former life (pre retirement), I did a fair amount of work in the UV spectrum and have some knowledge that might help.

Deer (ungulates) do see into the UV spectrum, likely only that part that is a little below what we can see. We see from 'about' 400nm to 700nm with some individual variation. It would be a good guess that ungulates see down to 'about' 360nm which is below our ability to see. This area is called the UVa range (320nm to 400nm). Lower is the UVb range (down to about 290nm) and the UVc range (below 290nm)...and bear in mind, this is from memory so I might be a tad off on the specifics.

UV reflectance of your clothing and hunting equipment (backpacks, rifle stocks) is most noticable to the deer when you are in low light conditions such as in shaded woods, dusk and dawn. During the day, the regular colours in the visible spectrum overpower the UV so its not a factor.

Check out these links: www.bowhunting.net/artman/publish/atskodeersee.shtml (http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/publish/atskodeersee.shtml)

www.qdma.com/articles/details.asp?id=48 (http://www.qdma.com/articles/details.asp?id=48)

I suggest you do the following:

Wash your hunting clothes/packs a couple times in a UV free detergent solution. They are commonly available at hunting outlets.

Never wash you hunting clothes in traditional detergents again.

Never dryclean your hunting clothes (solvents used may be UV reflective).

Buy a bottle of 'UV killer' solution and spray it on your hunting clothes (just the stuff you wear on the outside...no need to do undershirts, shorts and socks). Directions for use are on the bottle. The UV killer solution absorbs the UV rays so that they do not reflect back to the deer eyes.

bc sportsman
03-23-2008, 12:45 AM
For unwashable gear, just use the UV killer to mask.

Also, don't rely on the UV light to be very accurate. Think about what happens and your sight limitations...you can only see visible light!!!

The black light puts out a bunch of UVa and likely a little UVb radiation along with some visible spectrum. This radiation hits the clothing and anything that reflects UVa/b comes right back at you to see...but guess what ....??? You are seeing only the very lowest point of the visible spectrum output of the blacklight or some visible light excitation caused by UVa/b...but not the true UVa/b itself.

Seeing lots of glow (at about 400nm) using the black light is a good indication that brighteners are present and indicates that there is lots of reflectance of the true, UVa/b spectrum where you cannot see. But...not seeing any 'glow' does not necessarily mean there is no UVa/b reflectance. Your clothing may contain fibers that only reflect well below 400 nm. That means you will never see these glowing using a black light because you can't see that low in the spectrum.

The solution is: spray your stuff regardless and do it regularly...at least after every second or third gentle washing in a UV free detergent...and more often if you can afford it.

Elkhound
03-23-2008, 09:47 AM
good posts...............I cannot add any to that.8-)

browningboy
03-23-2008, 12:42 PM
Disection and High magnification. Check things like rods and cones in the eye as well as the crystalline lens (which horses and some other animals with long necks don't have) Then they can determine what capabilities that eye may or may not have.

Cool, learn something new everyday! and I thought you just ask "em!LOL