PDA

View Full Version : How do you measure bears?

showtimebc
03-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Everyone I know shoots a 6 ft plus black bears... and to me they are usually 1/2 a foot short. Personally, I measure from nose to the base of the tail on the body. If I get 6ft bear with those measurements, they typically have a 19 inch skull (which is BC book).

Just wondering how everyeone else measures their bears? Do you stretch out the hide and measure from front paw to back foot? Greatest width? Just curious cause their are several different mesurements on a bear, creating many different sizes and measurements. Thanks.

Wolfman
03-21-2008, 10:43 PM
How do you measure bears?

From a distance! ;-)

Sorry man, that one just had to slip out there ;-)

Wolfman

RiverOtter
03-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Hahahaha.........kinda like the weight of a fish.

I measure in the round, to the base of the tail, for my own purposes.

For discussion purposes, I square, because it is the most commonly used method. Next to the LONG/SKINNY crowd, of course.......grin

I lay the bear out flat, NO stretchy stretchy, then take 2 measurements. Tip of nose to base of tail and toe to toe across the front legs, add those numbers and then divide the sum by 2.

Bighorn hunter
03-21-2008, 11:42 PM
I like measuring from the nose to the tail on the animal as well.

bhh

Mr. Dean
03-22-2008, 12:24 AM
Books only care what the skull is...

I like too keep it simple. Nose --> base of tail works for me!
I've been told that a hide off will measure larger (longer) than that of one on.

Just something more too add to the confusion

pupper
03-22-2008, 01:22 AM
nose to tail tip for length X arm width/2 = squared.
and then skull as per B&C stipulations

Tinney
03-22-2008, 02:19 AM
A square measurement is hide off nose to tail plus wingspan divided by two.

3kills
03-22-2008, 05:04 AM
i measure from nose to tail..

If I get 6ft bear with those measurements, they typically have a 19 inch skull (which is BC book).

not always true my bear from a couple years ago was 6 foot on the dot and the skull was only 17 inches and he had a big head just a lot of meat on it...and i remember another bear that was shot last year or the year before that every one thought it would go high in book and it was the same thing lots of meat on its head...

RiverOtter
03-22-2008, 05:41 AM
Books only care what the skull is...

I like too keep it simple. Nose --> base of tail works for me!
I've been told that a hide off will measure larger (longer) than that of one on.

Just something more too add to the confusion

Yep. If you got an honest 6' black bear in the round, you got a big bear.

RO

mark
03-22-2008, 08:15 AM
The best way is to drink a 6 pack, then take a guess at it, it will sound much larger to yer buddies, and thats all that really matters anyways!!!

dana
03-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Nose to tail on the skin with the head in layed out snug with no stretching. This will be what the hide will be on the wall. Unless you have a taxidermist that stretches the $hit out of it to make more money.
Skull size with vary with each animal. No way to predict skull size by the size of the hide. I've only shot one bear with a 19 inch skull and that bear was 7'4" nose to tail. I've shot numerous bears over the 6 foot mark and skulls have ranged from 17 inches to just under 19. There are a lot of meat head bears out there. Big melons heads doesn't mean it's a book bear.

Elkhound
03-22-2008, 08:58 AM
There are a lot of meat head bears out there. Big melons heads doesn't mean it's a book bear.

Aint that the truth

tomahawk
03-22-2008, 09:05 AM
Nose to tail and skull width plus length.

Bow Walker
03-22-2008, 09:08 AM
So to summarize -

1. Skin the bear and leave the head on.
2. Lay it out flat like a rug.
3. Measure span across the front shoulders claw tip to claw tip.
4. Measure the circumference of the head at the largest, thickest part.
5. Add the totals and divide by 2 - this gives you a "squared measurement.

Correct?

Stone Sheep Steve
03-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Aint that the truth

Agreed.

Meathead
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Beer_Belly_005.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=7844&ppuser=1509)

Bonehead.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Battle_Scarred_Bruin_001.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=7947&ppuser=1509)

Both bears squared almost the same(7'ish). Top bear had a 17 13/16" skull. Bottom bear had a skull just under the 19" mark. Funny, I thought the bottom bear had just an average sized head. A buddy arrowed a blackie that only squared 6' but had a 19 5/16" skull.

I don't care how people measure their bears as long as they state how they did it. Personally, I find that the guys that stretch the crap out of their bears will also embelish the OTB(on the bear) measurement.

As some guys say they only believe in a OTB measurement as it can't be stretched but I've found you can have two bears that have the same OTB measurement ...... one bear is lanky and the other is more massive. A squared measurement will reveal the difference between the two where a OTB won't.

Of the bears that my buddies and I have shot that squared around the 7' mark went 6'-6'3" ish OTB.

SSS

KodiakHntr
03-22-2008, 09:16 AM
No.

Nose to tail, head in, hide off. Claw to claw. Add. Divide by 2.

Skulls (for book measurement) are done with calipers, length (-nose cartilage) + width. Divide by 2.

tomahawk
03-22-2008, 09:21 AM
No.

Nose to tail, head in, hide off. Claw to claw. Add. Divide by 2.

Skulls (for book measurement) are done with calipers, length (-nose cartilage) + width. Divide by 2.

I must be reading this wrong or haven't woke up yet but for the skull what is the divide by 2? I have book skulls and don't remember that being done, just combo of length and width with calipers.

Bow Walker
03-22-2008, 09:28 AM
OK - I've had a coffee and it's kickin' in now.

Hide off (head on, with the hide)
Lay it out like a rug - not stretched.
Nose to base of tail - right down the spine.
Across the shoulders, nail tip to nail tip.
Add measurements, and then divide by two equals a "squared" bear measurement in feet and inches.

Best done when you skin the bear, as it can get a bit bloody.

Gateholio
03-22-2008, 09:28 AM
I must be reading this wrong or haven't woke up yet but for the skull what is the divide by 2? I have book skulls and don't remember that being done, just combo of length and width with calipers.

Yes, that is correct. length + width= score. No division, no deductions...

srupp
03-22-2008, 09:33 AM
to get the width and the length I "pull" on the head till the hind feet just start to move (no one hanging on stretching ) and do the sam on one side to get it straight..and thats the way I measure length and width..

Agreed on the meat heads...the BIG HORSEFLY BRUIN Dan guided his hunter to never made book yup..meathead..

Steven

Stone Sheep Steve
03-22-2008, 10:21 AM
How many of you guys have shot a blackie that isn't within a few inches of being square?

Every black I've shot & the numerous others I've been in on are almost always 2-4'' from being square.

I've found it depends on how much fat is left on the hide when it's measured.
I did a quick "hack" job on my first bear last year as it was dark and I wanted to get off the mtn. I must have packed at least 25 lbs of unecessary fat home:roll:. Made a difference of at least 5" both directions and that's with zero stretch....just got the wrinkles out.

SSS

showtimebc
03-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Sounds like most people square their bears when they measure body size. So if you have a 6ft bear on the body, is that typically (or close to) a 7ft bear squared?

KodiakHntr
03-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Whooops, sorry, right, was talking to my kid at the same time and had moved a sentence around there, didn't finish my editing when I hit submit.

kootenayelkslayer
03-22-2008, 01:56 PM
to get the width and the length I "pull" on the head till the hind feet just start to move (no one hanging on stretching ) and do the sam on one side to get it straight..and thats the way I measure length and width..

Yaa finally one i agree with. I lay the skinned bear out, one guy lightly pulls the head end and one guy holds the tail end. As soon as there is any inward movement of the paws, you've stretched too much. Then i measure from the tip of the nose to the tip of the tail.
Then one guy pulls lightly on one front paw and one guy holds the other one. As soon as the head and tail start to move inward, you've stretched to much. Then measure across the shoulders.
Add the two lengths up, divide by two, and you have an honestly squared bear.
Should be over 7 ft ;-)

2slow
03-22-2008, 04:35 PM
just wondering if there is a link to this mysterious record book that everyone talks about. Be nice to see some skull measurements and find out what the minimums are to get in.

RiverOtter
03-22-2008, 06:29 PM
I notice a few posts here that include, "tip of the tail" and "tip of the claws"

I always use the base of the tail and base of the longest toe.

Unless it is real close to 7, then all bets are off...........:lol:

RO

tracker
03-22-2008, 08:38 PM
So how long is a bears tail ,I measured from nose tip to base of tail and got 7' 3/8" you mean it should probally be another 3 1/2" to 4" longer ...yes a 7 foot 4" bear sounds even better now ,side to side was measured at 8' feet .. skull is 21 6/16 official

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z78/tracker_07/bear2007020.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z78/tracker_07/Copyofthebeast.jpg

Mr. Dean
03-22-2008, 08:50 PM
just wondering if there is a link to this mysterious record book that everyone talks about. Be nice to see some skull measurements and find out what the minimums are to get in.

BC Big Game Records have a 19 inch minimum. Boone and Crocket I have no clue about.

kootenayelkslayer
03-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Boone and Crocket is 21 inches minimum

dana
03-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Tracker,
The bear grew the tail didn't he? Why wouldn't ya give him credit for what he grew. The conventional way to measure a lion is to measure to the tip of the tail, why wouldn't one do that with bears as well? BTW, SWEET BEAR dude! I would definately be calling that bear a 7'4" instead of a 7 footer. ;)

Stone Sheep Steve
03-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Tracker

You don't need a tape measure to tell anyone that bear is a beast:cool:!!

That's my new standard for "BIG" interior bears:shock:.

SSS

tracker
03-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Dana
Sure does make sense to include the tail,brain fart I guess:eek:

SSS
Yes he sure was the "king of the beasts" on that mountain!!!!:wink:

RiverOtter
03-23-2008, 09:53 AM
A bear grew its claws too Dana, do you measure to the tips of those as well? .....G-bears get a good advantage there.

Do you include the inch or so of hair, that extends past the end of the tail bone?

It would be nice to have a clear, standardized system for members here to follow. I know it won't curb the bs'ers, but at least the guys who care about doing things honest will have a more "apples to apples" gauge for seeing how their bear(s) stacks up.

RO

RiverOtter
03-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Nice bear btw, Tracker. Nice when you don't have to size em' up, before lining up......grin

I think I remember reading the story about it. You had your family along, IIRC.

RO

Stone Sheep Steve
03-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Personally I prefer to cut the tail off of my bears and them measure them. Here's my proof.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/image666.jpg

If you think about it...your taxi measures nose to the tip of the tail and charges you $ per linear foot. Works out to a fairly steep price per square inch for that tail:shock:.

SSS

boxhitch
03-23-2008, 11:28 AM
I never did agree with the whole Record Book thing , in regard to bears.
Skull only tells you nothing about the actual size of the bear.
For that matter neither does the nose/tail-toe/toe method. Length may asociate with age, but toe/toe only gives a reference to how high the back or shoulder is from the ground.
What was the weight? Girth gives you the rug size.
Should be measured length and girth, on the body. Good luck with that !!

boxhitch
03-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Copied Text-
Measurements and weights have been taken on each pig at definite
intervals. The following measurements are considered in this report:
(1) Length of body, taken from a point midway between the
ears over the back to the base of the tail; (2) Heart girth; (3) Paunch
girth; (4) Circumference of fore shin; (5) Height at top of shoulders;
(6) Width of chest; (7) Depth of chest. Width and depth of chest
were measured with a hardwood caliper, and the other measurements
were taken with a steel tape. Length of fore leg plus depth
of chest are used for height over the shoulder.
It seemed desirable to convert the measurements to some expression
of their relationship to weight, since the size of the measurement itself
does not give a tangible expression of size or of type. Measurements
reveal conformation or shape only when considered in their
relation to the animal as a whole. It is, therefore, desirable that the
best index of general size be chosen as a standard to which each
measurement is to be compared. Weight is the standard used in
feeding experiments with pigs and it is a good index of general size
and in a general way sums up the effects of all measurements.

dana
03-23-2008, 12:56 PM
RiverOtter,
I look at it as a rug. The tail is part of the rug. I don't square my bears so I really could care less about the length of the claws. There is no exact science to it and when you really think about it, it doesn't matter now does it? If you like the bear and you kill the bear, does it matter if you measure it one way versus someone else who measures it another way. Nope. It isn't just bears either. Any skin that you put on the wall will have various different measurements. I shot a cougar that was 7'3" nose to tail on the animal. I never took a measurement on the green hide after I skinned it. Took it to the taxidermist and had a wall all picked out for it. I was shocked to find that it almost didn't fit my wall when I got it back. It measures 8'9" nose to tail on my wall. My taxidermist was not the kind to stretch the $hit out of it either as he only has 3 prices, small, medium and large. My cat was large regardless so he wasn't gonna make any extra money on it like some that charge per foot. So, do I say I killed a 7'3 lion or do I say I killed a 8'9" lion? Does it matter? Skull measurements are about the only way to be standard. I believe that is why the B&C came up the idea. It isn't perfect when describing an animal but it is the only way that you can come up with the same measurement every time.

RiverOtter
03-23-2008, 05:20 PM
Fair enough, regarding the "importance" of a tape measure on a personal trophy. I wasn't implying it was anywhere near a perfect science or even close to scientific at all.
I was just thinking that for a ball park, "apples to apples" comparison, a uniform hide measuring system would make measurements a little more meaningfull for comparison.

RO

Bowzone_Mikey
03-25-2008, 12:58 PM
Just wondering how everyeone else measures their bears? .

Shooter ... Non Shooter(normally only young ones or Mamas with cubs:mrgreen:) ... Inches mean nothing to me ...

Ramshot
03-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Personally I prefer to cut the tail off of my bears and them measure them. Here's my proof.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/image666.jpg

If you think about it...your taxi measures nose to the tip of the tail and charges you $ per linear foot. Works out to a fairly steep price per square inch for that tail:shock:.

SSS
Stone Sheep Steve,
Are you sure that's the tail:wink:. Ramshot

RiverOtter
03-25-2008, 01:19 PM
Stone Sheep Steve,
Are you sure that's the tail:wink:. Ramshot

Laughin..........

RO

Phreddy
03-25-2008, 01:25 PM
Just wondering how everyeone else measures their bears? .

Verrrrrrrrrrrry carefully.

kootenayelkslayer
03-25-2008, 01:48 PM
How do I measure bears...?? If his back is above the barrel, I tell my hunters to shoot it! :razz:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q223/mikeb04/100_0571.jpg

3kills
03-25-2008, 04:56 PM
i sure hope u are guidin in alberta or somewhere else that its legal to use bait..:shock:

kootenayelkslayer
03-25-2008, 05:01 PM
Yaaa, Alberta, don't worry.

riflebuilder
03-26-2008, 06:31 AM
Hide quality and color are my first thoughts, size after that. I have shot lots of Black colored bears so the first color phase bear that I saw last year I shot just a 6' bear but dark brown legs and a red back coolest looking bear I have ever seen. To me he is a trophy and is getting tanned right now.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-26-2008, 06:38 AM
Some lady from Vernon shot a blackie last year that measured 6'8" "on-the-bear"8).
I saw a pic and they had the bear hanging beside her. She's not a big woman mind you but this bear looked like a serious, serious beast.
Funny...when they first saw the bear it was in a little depression and he tried to talk her out of shooting it. She could see the bear a little better than him and insisted it was shooter. Luckily she won the discussion8).

It only had a 19" skull IIRC or close to it.

SSS

RiverOtter
03-26-2008, 08:03 AM
I remember hearing about that bear, what a tank. It had to of been creeping up into 8' territory, by the it was skinned and squared.

RO

GoatGuy
03-26-2008, 08:27 AM
We've dumped a couple 7 footers that have small noggens and some 6 footers with 19+". Don't know if it's age or genetics - kinda like people, some have bigger heads than others. :lol:

boxhitch
03-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Some lady from Vernon shot a blackie last year that measured 6'8" "on-the-bear"8).

Probably from the Monashees. Its all in the vegetation !:cool: