PDA

View Full Version : Crab Traps?

Plincker
03-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Hi guys,

I'm gonna be going out and dropping the Prawn traps soon and was thinking that some crab would be nice to catch aswell.
I don't own a crab trap and I'll be heading out to buy one this weekend. My question is, are the folding rectangular traps as good as the circlular traps?
I've only ever used my buddies rectangular trap. Seemed to work, but I heard that the circular traps are better. Something to do with crabs don't like walking around corners or something?

My second question is, What bait's the best? I've used chicken, fish heads, and cat food before. Does commercial bait work well?

Thanx for any help guys!

Plincker

MB_Boy
03-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Plincker,

IMHO the rounds work better. I too have heard the theory of the the crabs working there way around a square vs. round trap. We used to have a square that we would throw down with a round one and the round one ALWAYS had 90% of the crabs that we would catch.

As for bait.....I personally don't like the commercial stuff. We have used salmon heads when we had them, but always use chicken/turkey. You can buy turkey/chicken backs for very cheap at the grocery store. We actually ran out of bait one day last year and we were in at the Sandbar having lunch while the traps soaked. We ended up taking leftovers from lunch (pizza, rib bones, chicken wings and calamari) and filled up the traps one last time in a quick 1 hour soak.

Crabbing has been good for us lately in English Bay.

MB_Boy
03-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Plinck....

Don't forget if you are buying traps and plan to use chicken to get a bait bag and also a weight for your line. I have seen a few traps recently with way too much line out and it just floating on the top of the water. Not the brightest thing in English Bay with all the boat traffic.

Army and Navy generally has the best prices on traps as well.

Bpower
03-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Chicken works well when there are lots of seals around. For some reason they won't bother with chicken as much as they do salmon heads.

GrandA
03-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Ive had way more success with round traps.. The Square ones I find doors open up if there is a bit of a current.. Then you'll need to put weights on em and so on. Good luck

dougan
03-21-2008, 01:01 PM
use your prawn heads for bait they work the very best!!!!!as for the traps get the weighted doors for your square traps and they will do better the curent can swing the stock doors open!!!!!

Browningmirage
03-21-2008, 01:34 PM
square ones suck balls, just dont work as well as circular. Save yourself some time and effort and fork out the extra cash for the circular ones.

I never found a difference, mainly just location that they were placed. Its just that the folders arent as nice as the round stainless jobbies

Plincker
03-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Thanx alot to everyone for giving me some pointers. Sounds like the circular ones are definatly the way to go. I was going to go to Steveston and see what they had in stoke. Do you guys know of any other places in Vancouver?
MB Boy mentioned Army and Navy.

Thanx again guys,

Plincker

tomahawk
03-22-2008, 11:53 AM
square ones suck balls, just dont work as well as circular. Save yourself some time and effort and fork out the extra cash for the circular ones.

I never found a difference, mainly just location that they were placed. Its just that the folders arent as nice as the round stainless jobbies

When you know where to put them they all work. Crabs will go get food no matter what its in, best haul with the blue square traps was 12 miles off Kitmat in a small channel off of Douglas, next to a creek. 34 crabs in the trap in just over an hour, 18 were keepers.

MB_Boy
03-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanx alot to everyone for giving me some pointers. Sounds like the circular ones are definatly the way to go. I was going to go to Steveston and see what they had in stoke. Do you guys know of any other places in Vancouver?
MB Boy mentioned Army and Navy.

Thanx again guys,

Plincker

Plinck...

You will likely get a better deal at Army/Navy than Steveston. I have found traps are generally 10-20% cheaper at A&N. There is also West Marine right next to Steveston by Granville Island, but their selection is not always that great.

Gateholio
03-22-2008, 01:04 PM
One thing I do miss about living on the coast was crabbing...

I recall my mom telling me on many occasions to "quit catching so much crab, we can't eat it all!!":mrgreen:

The stuff is about $15 a lb nowdays.:roll:

MB_Boy
03-22-2008, 01:20 PM
Plincker....

Remember when crabbing that safety NEVER takes a holiday with those little pincers.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee248/scrichton/PippenwithCrabs.jpg

RMG
03-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Ladner Crap Traps, always good people to deal with.

spreerider
03-22-2008, 05:16 PM
my buddy works on a prawn and crab boat he says they use fish feed from fish farms.

Plincker
03-22-2008, 10:56 PM
Plinck...

You will likely get a better deal at Army/Navy than Steveston. I have found traps are generally 10-20% cheaper at A&N. There is also West Marine right next to Steveston by Granville Island, but their selection is not always that great.

Thanx for the help MB Boy. I'll check out A&N for sure.

Plincker

Johnnybear
03-28-2008, 12:20 AM
All you need for crabbing and prawing is right here http://www.cushmanboats.com/. nuff said.

The cushman crab keeper is one of the best pots going. A lot of folks up here don't know about them but after all Dungeness is named after somewhere/someone in Washington State! Mail order is a breeze.

fowl language
03-29-2008, 08:05 AM
ladner trap on river rd. west in ladner has probably the best built pots,as they have been building pots for 50 years or so and you can buy them direct.....fowl

Johnnybear
04-01-2008, 11:07 PM
[quote=MB_Boy;262796]Plincker....

Remember when crabbing that safety NEVER takes a holiday with those little pincers.

That looks mighty close to the crown jewels:eek:. I have had 2 finger nails crushed (went right through) and a couple index fingers punctured by them little critters (and I know how to hold em). Fast and furious is the best way to describe them:-).

Wildman
04-02-2008, 07:19 AM
I have never had any problems with my square traps....never owned a round one though so I don't know what the difference is.

Mr. Dean
04-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Hi guys,

I'm gonna be going out and dropping the Prawn traps soon and was thinking that some crab would be nice to catch aswell.
I don't own a crab trap and I'll be heading out to buy one this weekend. My question is, are the folding rectangular traps as good as the circlular traps?
I've only ever used my buddies rectangular trap. Seemed to work, but I heard that the circular traps are better. Something to do with crabs don't like walking around corners or something?

My second question is, What bait's the best? I've used chicken, fish heads, and cat food before. Does commercial bait work well?

Thanx for any help guys!

Plincker

When you know where to put them they all work. Crabs will go get food no matter what its in, best haul with the blue square traps was 12 miles off Kitmat in a small channel off of Douglas, next to a creek. 34 crabs in the trap in just over an hour, 18 were keepers.
100% correct.
I have used both and have been tossing traps for ~ 20 years (recreationaly).

I have seen little or no difference between them. I actually LIKE the one's that are meshed and fold up too the size of a lap-top computer. My reasoning is that if I can store enough gear for three people, it'll be easier to find the 'crabby' spots in areas that we're unfamiliar with.

I have worked my squares in conjunction with another fellow using traditionals, in the same vicinity for two 10 day stretches, using the same bait. One day his would be loaded, another day mine.

We also started using different baits. We found that they will go for preferred foods.... Chicken is good, but hali carcasses are much better. :smile:

TIP;
Don't soak for any longer than the bait will last. Once the feed is gone, them crabs are soon to be also.

Hope this helped.