PDA

View Full Version : Help with Broadheads

hotload
03-19-2008, 02:53 PM
I am looking for a little insight as to what I did here? I got this good price for a bunch of new 100 grain 3 blade replacable muzzy broadheads that i have been real anxious to try out. Now that I read about the do's and don'ts of my crossbow it says to use 125 grain broadheads only. Can anybody tell me if i was to shoot the 100's from my crossbow if it would actually hurt it. Weather is nice, got a new target BLOCK, sure would like an answer. Any help would sure be appreciated.

sealevel
03-19-2008, 03:47 PM
whats the weight of your bolts ?? whats the draw weight of your crossbow ??

J_T
03-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Part of the concern with bolts is that due to the length the projectile is relatively light. If you can add weight with a heavier broadhead, it's likely a good idea. A heavier head is also going to bring the balance of weight forward. Another good idea.

Sealevel has asked a couple of good question. But in all likelihood, shooting the lighter heads is not going to "damage" the crossbow, but then might not shoot that well.

Deerwhacker
03-19-2008, 04:35 PM
I shoot 100 gr broadheads from my excalibur and that is what they reccomend, I cant see why it would hurt to use 100gr heads , my advise would be to try it out shooting them and if the accuracy is good then roll with it. of course then there is the question of what type of arrows are you useing? if your useing carbon arrows then a 100gr head is ideal alluminum then use 125

harvey
03-19-2008, 06:40 PM
go to wallmart buy the terminator titanium 1499 they work the best make your own arrows crossbows are to much fun 100 grain went to orville the price was 799

Bow Walker
03-19-2008, 07:54 PM
You're not going to hurt it at all. You just might get better results using a heavier head. Try it out and check your flight path of the bolt. If the tail end is "porpoising" (going in an up and down motion) or it's "fishtailing", then chances are that a 125gr head will give you a more stable flight.

The Hermit
03-19-2008, 08:12 PM
Also, if you are planning on hunting with them the heavier broadheads might make for better penetration.

OOBuck
03-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Also, if you are planning on hunting with them the heavier broadheads might make for better penetration.

I really hope your back in Victoria and not in Mexico and have nothing better to do??? :lol:

hotload
03-19-2008, 10:05 PM
Hey guys thanks for the response. What I can find in my little booklet here is the arrows should be 20' and are 477 total grains including 125 grain fieldpoint or broadhead. I was asking this because i don't want anything to simulate a dryfire, cause we all know what would happen then. I hope these new numbers will help you help me. Thanks bunches

hotload
03-19-2008, 10:06 PM
Sorry I also use carbon arrows