PDA

View Full Version : Buying a jet boat - making the right choice

msawyer
03-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Hello all...

I am seriously considering buying a jet boat for hunting, fishing and generally traveling the rivers of northern BC, Yukon and NWT... I have a solid boating background but have never purchased a jet boat - so I need your collective advice on a number of questions...

When I look at the capital cost of a low tech 18 to 22 foot sled with an appropriately sized outboard jet (like the old style river punts very common in the Yukon, Stikine country - but made of aluminum) versus a similar sized high tech sport jet, I need someone to explain the trade offs in terms of capital cost, speed, load capacity, comfort, fuel consumption and other factors I have missed. For 90 percent of the rivers in northern BC which are being accessed by jet boats, do you really need a fancy rig? Or would a good sized jon boat-like boat and 75 HP jet get you into most of those places?
When I look at various inboard/sport jet specifications, it is clear to me that the cost of purchase may pale in comparison to fuel and maintenance costs over the life of the boat. Is there an approach that would allow the use of jet boat technology while being fuel and maintenance efficient and therefore more economical? If there is, what is it? This is particularly important with oil being $110 a barrel and climbing?
Are any of the sport jets being offered a diesel as the fuel option? If not, any thoughts on why not?
Given the hull parameters common to most river boats, can a 1 boat family also get multi-use (ie lake and in-shore ocean fishing from the same boat that us used for northern rivers?I have read most, if not all, of the threads that reference jet boats but the answers to the above questions have eluded me... Thanks for your patience and help...

Many thanks

Mike
________
Ford Mustang variants (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Mustang_variants)

riflebuilder
03-19-2008, 06:28 AM
I just moved back to BC last year from Missouri everyone there runs outboard jets, now most of there rivers are not to rough but some are and they seem to prefere these type of boats. I also have been thinking about getting a jet boat to use in the EK and possible trips up north. I too would be interested in peoples comments.

mark
03-19-2008, 07:00 AM
I have 2- 21' aluminum river boats for sale, $16,000 for either, both in excellent mechanical cond. PM me for more details.

boyd050
03-19-2008, 07:09 AM
I've kind of been looking too and I had the opportunity to be in one a couple years ago , a fella here in cranbrook has one, he phoned me the other day saying it's time for him to sell it and was I interested....hell ya... but I just bought a new quad dtc so... his name is Roger Panchyshyn, ph number 489-3443 I believe he wants 14.000 so if your looking it's a great boat.!!!!

abbyfireguy
03-19-2008, 09:00 AM
There are a few jetboat builders who are dabbling with the diesels..I have a friend in Vancouver washington who has been building jets with Cummins and Yanmar diesels for a couple of years.The diesel option started as a lofty option ,but, has really taken off for him.
He seems to be putting more diesels in his boats now than gassers..
His boats may be a bit big for your needs and too spendy but,,,here's his site..
His name is Tom Maxfield...One of the nicest gentlemen you will ever meet,more than happy to talk to anyone..

http://www.precisionweldboats.com/

Jetboater
03-19-2008, 09:17 AM
I will take a stab at this, rememeber what I say is only my opinion.... I have been in the river boat business for the last 4 years... so I feel I have a little knowledge on the matter....

1. Out board Jets are the least efficient motor of all jet motors, they use a crazy amount of fuel for the loads that they can pack.... as an example a 90hp motor is only 65Hp at the pump, but will burn 6 gph at cruising speeds. to push a 20 ft boat yu would need a 200hp jet minimum at the power head with 165 at the pump so in turn you use 16-17GPH... ever motor manufacturer will claim their jet is the most effiecint but in reality it will just suck the fuel back...

2. we sell a lot of boats now with the hunter in mind.... granted our boats are not an outlaw or wolfmade or omeneca boats they can be order tough and built for northern rivers ... power is a huge issue , we recommend that most people over power their boat, mainly because the motor will not work as hard to stay on step... in a 19 ft boat we power them typically with a 350 fuel injected motor and an AT312 or AT 309 pump... this package burns at cruise RPM 5-6GPH which is extremely good for a small block... add plastic to that bottom and you will have an extremely shallow running boat that can also to a tuber or a wake boarder...we have also had customers lift a full load of moose and elk with ease becasue they have the bottom end power in it. unless you are buildin a large boat 23-25 feet a diesel is a huge cost that you will not feel the benefits from... not to mention the sheer size of a diesel... the yanmar alone is 10 inches longer than a standard 350.

3. Jet boats can be utilized as an everything boat, if you dont mind sacrificing little things, a standardf 12 degree bottom will give you the best of both world, good handling in the lakes and ocean in moderate chop and good for running fairly shallow water... when buying a boat look for a variable deadrise bottom our boats start at 22 degreee in the bow and taper back to 12 degree inj the transom...

hope this helps a little.

tuchodi
03-19-2008, 09:37 AM
blacktail3113 pointed out most of your concerns. I started riverboating back in 1974 with an outboard jet. They have not changed the jet since then and they are still very ineffiecint. I had a 24' boat with a 140 HP outboard jet and then changed over to an inboard with a 12" Berkley which are now American Turbine in the same boat. On the same trip with very close to the same load as far as gear and my partner I went from burning 180 gallons of gas to 90 gallons so I would recomend staying away from the outboard jets. As far as the hull design: as blacktail said you can not get one that will do everything so I would chose one that would give you the most use in a specific area and you will have to live with the lack of use in another area. The higher degree hull the better it will handle lakes and oceans and the lower degree will be best on rivers so you have to choose. Going halfway will give you both but neither really good.
Good luck

msawyer
03-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks for all the information.... but on the fuel consumption question, when I use the burn rate/HPs provided in comparing outboard versus sport jets, I get a burn rate of 0.09 gallons per hour per HP for outboards and a burn rate of 0.1 gallons per hour per HP for inboards - essentially the same - essentially the same burn rate. If this is an accurate comparison, why the enthusiasm for sport jets or inboard jets? Or am I missing something?

Best regards

Mike
________
Suzuki GS500E (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Suzuki_GS500E)

Jetboater
03-19-2008, 11:29 AM
burn rates mean nothing on paper when dealing with outboards... especially Jets. Sport Jets are great for carrying a moderate load but the lifting power is not there unless you are looking at a 240 or 250 HP, they are gas guzzlers as well.being in remote areas means you havbe to travelas far as you can while using the least amount of fuel in the trip other wise you will end up packing 1500Ltrs on a long trip....the best thing I can suggest is take both for a ride... one you feel the Hp and torque of a small block V8 you are typically sold on the great things about them...

eric
03-20-2008, 03:15 PM
msaywer, try going over to myboatforum.com and posting your question. Lots of river boaters over there.

cmac
03-21-2008, 10:58 PM
I have to agree outboard jets are definately not the way to go. Also for packing anykind of weight I would agree a 350 is the minimum in a boat 19-21 feet. I have been in a 19ft northriver with a 305 and it is fine with a couple of guys but when you load it down with gear it just doesn't have the power. A 383 is a pretty good motor weighs less than a bigblock but gives out some pretty good power. As for a diesel I think you would need to run your boat a helluva lot to make up for the extra purchase cost and matinence cost will also be higher for a diesel.

daycort
03-22-2008, 10:26 AM
I have an 60/40 4 stroke outboard jet on a 16' aluminum boat. The boat only ways less then 700 lbs with the motor. It is suprisingly tough and can take a hit for the boat it is. I bought it as a learning boat and I really wanted to get out on the water. It is what I could afford at the time. It will go really shallow and takes a pretty good load when running skinny (4 gas cans, 4 adults, 2 kids, 2 toddlers and picnic basket and cooler of refreshments) and still managed about 3 gallons an hour of burnt fuel on the pine river. I have fished in are local lakes with it to. Not for the chuck.

I would class this boat as a good fun family friendly boat, it is by no means an outlaw or wolffmade or shuman boat and I do plan to own a boat like the shuman built boat one day, but it gets me out there with the family and we have fun. I would not hesitate to take this boat up the tuchodi once I get a little better at reading water. As soon as you get over the fact that "rubbins racin" the boat gets alot more fun.

I have some pics so if you pm me I will gladly e-mail them to you.

Barracuda
03-22-2008, 02:05 PM
I wouldnt mind a picture or two . I have a 15/16 foot aluminium console boat that needs an engine and i am weighing my options.

daycort
03-23-2008, 10:29 AM
no problem Barracuda, send me a e-mail addy and I will send them to you.

Ramshot
03-26-2008, 12:52 PM
I have an 60/40 4 stroke outboard jet on a 16' aluminum boat. The boat only ways less then 700 lbs with the motor. It is suprisingly tough and can take a hit for the boat it is. I bought it as a learning boat and I really wanted to get out on the water. It is what I could afford at the time. It will go really shallow and takes a pretty good load when running skinny (4 gas cans, 4 adults, 2 kids, 2 toddlers and picnic basket and cooler of refreshments) and still managed about 3 gallons an hour of burnt fuel on the pine river. I have fished in are local lakes with it to. Not for the chuck.

I would class this boat as a good fun family friendly boat, it is by no means an outlaw or wolffmade or shuman boat and I do plan to own a boat like the shuman built boat one day, but it gets me out there with the family and we have fun. I would not hesitate to take this boat up the tuchodi once I get a little better at reading water. As soon as you get over the fact that "rubbins racin" the boat gets alot more fun.

I have some pics so if you pm me I will gladly e-mail them to you.

Daycort,
Let's go buddy:smile:. Leaving for Tuchodi middle of September. We will stop by St. John and pick u up! Get your horse trough ready for some action.RAMSHOT.

daycort
03-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Daycort,
Let's go buddy:smile:. Leaving for Tuchodi middle of September. We will stop by St. John and pick u up! Get your horse trough ready for some action.RAMSHOT.

I would loved to go man.....my wife is getting a little pissy about the other hunts I have planned already:-(. If i strike out on sheep during my first hunt, then maybe. We will get together up there one year for sure though!!!

gordo
09-06-2008, 09:57 AM
stay away from the sport jets.i bought a brand new 2005 210 merc sport jet ,and they are just plain pigs on fuel,compared to the small blocks.im considering selling mine

winchester284
09-06-2008, 10:45 AM
While the earlier sportjets are fuel hogs (they don't make them any more) the new optimax sportjets sip the fuel. I've had an 18 foot harbercraft 200 opti for the last 3 years and I run it on the fraser at about 6 gph running about 38 mph (measured using smartcraft monitor and gps). I had it on a hunting trip up north last year with 3 guys, supplies and camping equipment for a week and I averaged 7.5 gph. It is a light boat less 1400 lbs dry. Gets up on plane fast and runs skinny.

BCRiverBoater
09-06-2008, 09:29 PM
I have owned 2 sport jets. A 240 and a 2007 200 Opti. Both excellent motors and both great on gas. Do not listen to the anti sport jets on fuel economy. While some smaller V6 and V8 get great fuel mileage, the sport jets are still a little better if set up and running right. If you are planning on running a smaller lighter boat to play in the skinny water or go that extra mile, you can not beat the sport jet for power to weight to fuel ratio. The big knock is they are very noisy as they are 2 stroke. Also their life expectancy will not match a 350 or 383.

One thing to remember is they way a fraction of a bigblock or even half of a smallblock 383. Also a 16-17 foot boat with a sportjet will give you the same interior room as a 19' with a big motor. Of course the larger motors can run heavier loads but I have yet to load my boats down with more than I can get on step with. I have had 3 guys and all our gear for 14 days plus 145 gallons of gas and have got on step no problem.

Also remember a sportjet HP rating is at the nozzle...very important to know. A 200 opti has 200 true HP at the nozzle. A 350 HP rated bigblock loses some in the gearing etc and then loses about 30% with a pump. 30% of course is an average rough guess by most people. So a 350 HP motor can easily be down to the 250 HP range real quickly. Of course the torque is way higher hence the good hole shot and ability to pack weight.

It really comes down to personal preference and use of the boat. If you want small and light you have to go Sportjet. If you want a larger roomy boat with huge payload in mind....go 20-22 feet with V8 or 383 stroker and Hamilton pump.

Gateholio
09-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Diesel powered jet boats??

Hmmm...I've got an idea.:p

Big7
09-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Took a ride in a jet boat up north in the beginning of August...what a boat...39 footer with three 350 Vortecs and Hamilton 212 pumps. We put 21 drums (45gal) in her and she still did 55 to 60km/hr @ 3100rpm no problem and the boat was only 2/3 full!!! Now that's a jet boat!|!