PDA

View Full Version : Surebet for kids

browningboy
03-17-2008, 12:26 PM
I haven't fished for trout for quite a while, I just got a trailer and want to take the kids out for a weekend here and there, does anyone or will anyone have any suggestions of lakes that have plenty of little ones (constant action) as I want the kids to get into it and not become bored if you know what I mean, they had a blast at the outdoors show and want to see their interest continue.
I'm in the fraser toilet valley but willing to go 5 hrs for a weekend, any suggestions would be great.

swampdonkey
03-17-2008, 12:31 PM
I haven't fished for trout for quite a while, I just got a trailer and want to take the kids out for a weekend here and there, does anyone or will anyone have any suggestions of lakes that have plenty of little ones (constant action) as I want the kids to get into it and not become bored if you know what I mean, they had a blast at the outdoors show and want to see their interest continue.
I'm in the fraser toilet valley but willing to go 5 hrs for a weekend, any suggestions would be great. try paska lake fish in here are a dime a dozen my kids have a blast they are small fish but u do get the odd big one

browningboy
03-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Thanks SD! I'll be giving it a try in May, kids can't wait! Is there a place for a RV trailer?

ROEBUCK
03-17-2008, 02:37 PM
also lightning lake in manning park is a great lake for kids with loads of small trout and its got great camping facilities including hot showers ,i think it might still be free camping in may?

browningboy
03-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Thanks Daniel, I'll have to try that as well, I want to make sure that they catch lots because I don't want them to get bored because I'm not a soccer dad! LOL

Iron Glove
03-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Ditto on Lightning Lake @ Manning, its where our kids started their fishing. Bobber and fly with a spin cast set up. Fish at the North end of the Lake at the day use area.
Great camping as said, hot showers. Likely need a reservation tho'. Will have to wait awhile 'cause its under a few feet of snow now !
Also sugest the Similkameen River that runs through Manning. Lotsa little rainbows.
And for Dad, the pub at the Lodge is pretty nice.

swampdonkey
03-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Thanks SD! I'll be giving it a try in May, kids can't wait! Is there a place for a RV trailer?yes you will have no problem with trailer losts of spots outhouses are clean picnic tables not far from logan lake and kamloops if you need anything:p

browningboy
03-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Thanks guys, looks like I'll be burning some gas this summer!LOL Hopefully get some scouting in too.

bsa30-06
03-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Thanks SD! I'll be giving it a try in May, kids can't wait! Is there a place for a RV trailer?

i havent been to paska in years but it used to have a big open field that would fill up with campers on long weekends, and campsites right along the lake.My parents used to take us there, i remember listening to the coyotes howl on the other side of the lake around the evening camp fire.I'm sure your kids will love it there.

Caveman
03-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Around here there is Saul lake. More 10-12'' than you can shake a stick at. A few other lakes close by as well.

browningboy
03-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Cool, is Saul lake a local one in the Loops?

Derek_Erickson
03-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Its a little ways out but you could catch 100 in a day

browningboy
03-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Its a little ways out but you could catch 100 in a day

Thats how memories are made, when does it ice off?

Derek_Erickson
03-17-2008, 08:54 PM
oooooooooooh... I honestly couldnt tell you, it's fairly high up IIRC, someone else should be able to fill you in!

pmj
03-18-2008, 12:37 AM
For practice and if you have a few$ try Sun Valley Trout farm west side of Mission. A natural pond stocked with good tasting trout. My wife and I would take the kids there when they were young. The only problem was that you had to set a limit so you would not leave with your wallet empty. They also had camp sites. Good way for the young ones to practice with lots of reward.

spreerider
03-18-2008, 04:55 PM
bainbridge lake in port alberni has alot of little ones and is restricted to under 14 over 65,
loon lake just before port alberni is heavily stocked with little ones as well easy to fish from shore.
but you probably arnt looking to the island.

Wild one
03-18-2008, 07:58 PM
If you want some were close deer lake in harison just troll a small gang troll and a wedding/flatfish.They are not big but they will keep kids happy.If that don't work come to my house I supplyed the fish for the tradex and those were my little guys(averge right now is 13-18 inch)I will even grt out the map and show you some spots and what to catch them on.

Caveman
03-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Thats how memories are made, when does it ice off?

If you're coming up the may long, it'll be off for sure. I'll google you the location because it's not marked. Travel up from Batchleor Hieghts on Lac Le Bios Rd for about a 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour. I think it is around the 39km mark The lat and long are to the turn off to the lake but you can see it from the road. try along the weed bed towards the east end. They'll take pretty much anything

Saul Lake
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/GoogleEarth_Image.jpg

120°38'36.39"W
50°54'51.94"N

M.Dean
03-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Just about any lake in the interior should be good in May. Lac la Jeune is quite popular, haven't been there for a while but it has good camping and all the bells and whistles.Roche Lake is also good, Ice should be off most lakes by the long weekend in may, some of the higher ones will still have ice on and snow on the roads. I live at Pinantan Lk. ice is normally off around the end of April,early may depends on the weather. Paul lake is just down the road, good fishing, Gov. camp site's and such. Hyas lake is just above us, good fishing, nice camping area, be there early on a long weekend. Pemberton Lk, beside Hyas Lk, good fishing, be there early. On the may long weekend, you have to remember there's going to be lots of people partying at most lakes, if you have young kids it's nice to go to a Gov. or private camp ground where they don't put up with to much loud music and such, have fun!

Caveman
03-18-2008, 08:48 PM
M.Dean just got me thinking as well. Another good one for the kids is Walloper Lake in the Lac Le Juene area

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/GoogleEarth_Image2.jpg

Just off the Coq at the Lac Le Jeune off ramp

Deerwhacker
03-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Pretty much anywhere in the intereor is ideal, Localy I would suggest salsburry lake up sylvester road . expect to get at least 5-15 fish per rod, nothing big but i remember haveing a blast there as a kid, next to that i would reccomend pennask lake for a weekend , one of my favorate places to fish when i was little got upwards of 20 rainbows on a fisher price rod when I was 2 to give an idea.

browningboy
03-19-2008, 08:22 AM
If you're coming up the may long, it'll be off for sure. I'll google you the location because it's not marked. Travel up from Batchleor Hieghts on Lac Le Bios Rd for about a 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour. I think it is around the 39km mark The lat and long are to the turn off to the lake but you can see it from the road. try along the weed bed towards the east end. They'll take pretty much anything

Saul Lake
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/GoogleEarth_Image.jpg

120°38'36.39"W
50°54'51.94"N

Is that by Isabel Lake, I believe its called that about 13 kms or so past the new development so Saul is just beyond that?

browningboy
03-19-2008, 08:24 AM
If you want some were close deer lake in harison just troll a small gang troll and a wedding/flatfish.They are not big but they will keep kids happy.If that don't work come to my house I supplyed the fish for the tradex and those were my little guys(averge right now is 13-18 inch)I will even grt out the map and show you some spots and what to catch them on.

Thanks wildone, the kids had a hoot there, especially when the guy brought the shrimp out for bait, it was kick ass!

browningboy
03-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Thanks everyone for feedback, and no not really looking to go to the island but thanks, but sounds like like this spring should be fun as the kids are starting to get into it!
I'll let you know where I'm heading so stop by for a pop/coffee.:D