PDA

View Full Version : bobcat sightings?

ROEBUCK
03-15-2008, 02:21 PM
since living in bc havent seen a wild cat yet! might of seen a couger cross road in front of me near cache creek in the middle of night but equaly could have been wolf ? wondering how far north anyone may have seen a bobcat or heard about one ?

frenchbar
03-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Ive seen 3 in the last couple weeks.All here in the Lillooet area .Seen them all late at night crossing the highway.

Red Foreman
03-15-2008, 03:23 PM
I saw 2 during hunting season last year along with a lynx.

CanuckShooter
03-15-2008, 04:19 PM
All over the place around PG, and lots outside of Williams Lake. Maybe your just driving too fast to spot them???:shock:

ROEBUCK
03-15-2008, 04:25 PM
wow! love to see the pictures you have of all the cats youve seen around pg?

e=CanuckShooter;259852]All over the place around PG, and lots outside of Williams Lake. Maybe your just driving too fast to spot them???:shock:[/quote]

Steeleco
03-15-2008, 04:48 PM
I've seen a few cats in the bush. A small family in the hills behind Mission and a good sized kitty above Peterhope lake last fall.

Wolfman
03-15-2008, 04:52 PM
My buddy in Delta tells me he sees lots of cougars in his favorite pub every Friday night. No bobcats though...yet ;-)

Wolfman

ElectricDyck
03-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Saw one last year on the logging road by chehalis lake and one a couple years back around lilloet lake.

Barracuda
03-15-2008, 06:21 PM
think how many houscats there are and how rarely you see them in relation to their population and desire to remain hidden from you ,even when you are of no concern to them they are inconspicuas by nature so you really dont see them often

Then consider a bobcat . if a cat doesnt want to be seen more often then not they wont be . I betch some of the times you have been hunting you have been observed but never knew it:biggrin:

get yourself a predator call you might be surprised:cool:

ryanb
03-15-2008, 06:52 PM
I'd say I see a cat roughly every 20 times I go out in the bush working or hunting. Bobcat is the most commonly sighted, then cougar, and lynx is the most rare.

islandstalker
03-15-2008, 07:10 PM
seen a Lynx once at whistler in the summer went right over him on the lift.

Tinney
03-16-2008, 03:08 AM
Been pounding bush in 7A for 15 years. Seen wolves, fishers, a cougar, lynx, maybe a wolverine but never a bobcat.

ROEBUCK
03-16-2008, 05:01 AM
been watching them on the telly comin in well to those machanical call/decoys,

CanuckShooter
03-16-2008, 06:52 AM
[QUOTE=daniel;259855]wow! love to see the pictures you have of all the cats youve seen around pg?

I rarely take pictures of them Daniel, usually I am stand hunting and they pass by. There are also a fair number of cougar along the Mud River, as we have seen them a couple of times at the end of McBride Timber Rd. We have had lynx cross the river and walk thru the front yard in our property, so there are a few cats around. I was just ribbing you about driving too fast...road hunters see far less animals than do those who sit and watch, or walk.

puppychow
03-16-2008, 07:17 AM
I was lucky enough to shoot my 1 and only bobcat just north of Clinton, lots of cougars on Vancouver Island.

ROEBUCK
03-16-2008, 07:25 AM
might just have to try for a cat somewhere next winter! didnt get a chance this winter!

I rarely take pictures of them Daniel, usually I am stand hunting and they pass by. There are also a fair number of cougar along the Mud River, as we have seen them a couple of times at the end of McBride Timber Rd. We have had lynx cross the river and walk thru the front yard in our property, so there are a few cats around. I was just ribbing you about driving too fast...road hunters see far less animals than do those who sit and watch, or walk.[/quote]

ibehuntin
03-16-2008, 08:45 AM
I was lucky enough to shoot my first BOB this year after calling it in with predator call.:phttp://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/BOBCAT_JAN_25_08_KICKINGHORSE-03.jpg

Thunderstix
03-16-2008, 09:54 AM
I have seen 3 since moving to Fort Nelson and one of them was inside a moose cavity having a snack...even got a lousy picture.

killman
03-16-2008, 10:02 AM
Been pounding bush in 7A for 15 years. Seen wolves, fishers, a cougar, lynx, maybe a wolverine but never a bobcat.

I was thinking the same thing.

todbartell
03-16-2008, 12:57 PM
I dont think there are any bobcats in the PG area. Ive never heard of a sighting

Kody94
03-16-2008, 01:01 PM
I've never personally seen a bobcat north of the Kootenays, but here is a map of their range....
http://www.discoverlife.org/nh/tx/Vertebrata/Mammalia/Felidae/Lynx/rufus/images/Lynx_rufus_map.320.jpg

I have been lucky to see a number of lynx in a variety of places in BC and YT, and 3 cougar without aid of dogs (one of which I rattled in while whitey hunting). I've also seen a few in trees.

Cheers
4ster

CanuckShooter
03-16-2008, 01:04 PM
I dont think there are any bobcats in the PG area. Ive never heard of a sighting

Some boys just don't listen.................:shock:

Derek_Erickson
03-16-2008, 01:04 PM
I've only seen one, and I let him have it

ROEBUCK
03-16-2008, 01:05 PM
im living in red rock at mo on a farm, my landlord told me the other day that one of the neighbours had a bobcat on his property just recently!within the last few weeks!

uote=todbartell;260178]I dont think there are any bobcats in the PG area. Ive never heard of a sighting[/quote]

Tinney
03-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Next time take a pic CanuckShooter, because I believe we're too far north to have very many kickin around

todbartell
03-16-2008, 01:11 PM
I think most people would mistake a young lynx for a bobcat

CanuckShooter
03-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Next time take a pic CanuckShooter, because I believe we're too far north to have very many kickin around

So suppose you don't believe in snow snakes either?? Trust me..we have bobcats....

ROEBUCK
03-16-2008, 01:17 PM
i no what you mean! but this guy has got one of the best trophy collections ive ever seen and i would guess he probably would no the differance ,and the cat would have to be at least a year old which would surely make it an adut would it not?

I think most people would mistake a young lynx for a bobcat

killman
03-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Now now boys there never used to be many Elk here either so it is possible, lets all try to get along....

BCrams
03-16-2008, 01:28 PM

How old are you Tinney? 15 years ???? Never saw a live fisher when out in the bush myself ... bet you were seeing marten (not fisher).

BCrams
03-16-2008, 01:29 PM
All over the place around PG, and lots outside of Williams Lake. Maybe your just driving too fast to spot them???:shock:

You're probably seeing Lynx around PG, not bobcats.

BCrams
03-16-2008, 01:31 PM
So suppose you don't believe in snow snakes either?? Trust me..we have bobcats....

They were probably Lynx. Young ones are easily mistaken. Lots of Lynx around the Willow ... no bobcats. My boss is a trapper and so was my uncle ... never caught a bobcat around PG ... just Lynx.

Tinney
03-16-2008, 01:35 PM
How old are you Tinney? 15 years ???? Never saw a live fisher when out in the bush myself ... bet you were seeing marten (not fisher).

You know how old I am. Yeah, your math is right. Been wandering around in the bush since I was six. Fishers are the big ones, right? :lol: Yeah, I've seen one for sure, and I think two, but the second one may have been an otter. It was dark :biggrin:

Derek_Erickson
03-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Theres no magic line thats telling the animals that they cant go any further because they'll be punished, you can see anything anywhere, just helps when you have a camera so you don't look like such an idiot!

BCrams
03-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Now now boys there never used to be many Elk here either so it is possible, lets all try to get along....

There were elk in the PG / Ft St James area 30 years ago. Just in very low numbers. I recal seeing a cow elk ripping through downtown PG in 1992 and through the field at Ron Brent.

For canuck to say there are as many bobcats as he is saying is false.

killman
03-16-2008, 01:50 PM
There were elk in the PG / Ft St James area 30 years ago. Just in very low numbers. I recal seeing a cow elk ripping through downtown PG in 1992 and through the field at Ron Brent.

That's why I said never use to be MANY elk:biggrin:

Tinney
03-16-2008, 01:54 PM

Have you taken your meds today? :biggrin:

BCrams
03-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Have you taken your meds today? :biggrin:

Shows how little you really know about the PG area. I also have a couple local elk sheds from the early 90's.

Tinney
03-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Shows how little you really know about the PG area. I also have a couple local elk sheds from the early 90's.

I'm not talking about elk...:mrgreen: We've seen elk @ summit lake since 91

BCrams
03-16-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm not talking about elk...:mrgreen: We've seen elk @ summit lake since 91

Sounds about right considering the main herds back then were moving along the ridge between the Stuart / Summit and to the Willow along the Fraser.

killman
03-16-2008, 02:12 PM

Hey! nobody is disagreeing with buddy.:lol:

Tinney
03-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Sounds about right considering the main herds back then were moving along the ridge between the Stuart / Summit and to the Willow along the Fraser.

Where'd they go then? Haven't seen one since 01.

killman
03-16-2008, 02:20 PM

They all went back where they came from.

todbartell
03-16-2008, 02:24 PM

Bobcats ate em all

ROEBUCK
03-16-2008, 02:26 PM
thats a good one!

Bobcats ate em all

BCrams
03-16-2008, 02:27 PM
They're there!

plumbob
03-16-2008, 08:16 PM
If you want to see bobcats lynx in pg area take a drive down willow cale or behind dunkley sawmill.I see some every time back in these areas.

Wolfman
03-16-2008, 08:34 PM
[quote=daniel;259855]wow! love to see the pictures you have of all the cats youve seen around pg?

I rarely take pictures of them Daniel, usually I am stand hunting and they pass by. There are also a fair number of cougar along the Mud River, as we have seen them a couple of times at the end of McBride Timber Rd. We have had lynx cross the river and walk thru the front yard in our property, so there are a few cats around. I was just ribbing you about driving too fast...road hunters see far less animals than do those who sit and watch, or walk.

Hey Jim, I hear ya on that one.

When I was younger my Grandpa used to tell me to go up in a tree and just sit there as quietly as I could. Pretty difficult for an 18 year old, but eventually I managed to get it down to a science. Its amazing what you will see if you just sit and wait.

Once I rigged up a platform and stayed in a tree all night to see what I could see. Bears, deer, fox etc,. Then, when night falls you switch to your other senses to experience it.

Pretty amazing.

Wolfman

ThinAir
03-16-2008, 09:50 PM
daniel, here's a little guy I saw when down in Clinton this past summer.
This was probbaly one of the cutest (man, I feel like a woman) things I've ever seen in the bush! He was only 10 feet off the road, with mom 50 feet or so deeper in the bush. I quickly took a pic and let them be.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMGP1621resize.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=8643&size=big&cat=)

Kody94
03-17-2008, 08:14 AM
Never saw a live fisher when out in the bush myself ... bet you were seeing marten (not fisher).

I have seen 2 fisher...both in the Pine Pass/Chetwynd area in the '80's. And have seen tonnes of marten. Plus the cats I mentioned earlier.

BUT, despite all the years I have spent working in the bush and hunting, I still haven't seen a confirmed wolverine!!

Cheers,
4ster

CanuckShooter
03-17-2008, 08:35 AM
You're probably seeing Lynx around PG, not bobcats.

What a dumbass thing to say to someone who has spent most of their life working the bush for game, if your trying to insult my intelligence your looking for a black eye. :biggrin:

I have seen bob cats in Whites Landing, down the Blackwater, and out the Buckhorn....which in my last estimation was considered part of the PG region.

SHAKER
03-17-2008, 09:38 AM
I know they're Bobcats as far north as Willies puddle........But I don't know any houndsmen farther north then that but I'm sure they're there. Someone seen a cougar by Steamboat mnt last fall so those funny maps don't mean anything. As far as mixing up a Lynx with a Bobcat?????? You should re-do your Core! Seeing a live one of either cat is VERY is easy to tell the difference (like confusing a Moose to a Couse Deer)....and tracks are completely different. If anything Lynx track could be confused with a small Cougar but definatly not a Bob!