PDA

View Full Version : hunting 100 mile house

steelheadSABO
03-14-2008, 04:40 PM
hi does anybody know good deer hunting in the 100mile house bridge lake area.im a newbie just wondering how big the deer are up their because this might be one of my hunting spots this year:confused:thanks for the help

betteroffishing
03-14-2008, 06:07 PM
there tiny little things up there, i wouldnt waste my time up there if i were you .

Jelvis
03-14-2008, 06:33 PM
steelheadSABO The mule deer are big in those areas Bridge Lake and 100 mile as you know you are in reg 5 and reg 3 Reg 5 Mu 1 is good mule deer hunting in the lower south east section of 5-1 go north from either end of Sheridan Lake. For reg 3-30 Bridge lake anywhere south or north of Bridge lake should see deer around Hammer Lake plus moose. Jelgo

Buck
03-14-2008, 07:05 PM
One of the biggest deer in the B.C record book came from that area.Good Luck

M.Dean
03-14-2008, 07:47 PM
I've hunted around English Lake, French Lake, Deka Lake areas years ago, that was our big trip each year, we alway did real good. There was lots of deer and moose, locals were fantastic and the liquor store was close by!!! Take a drive up there in the summer and check it out, take your fishing pole, we did good fishing there too!

Islandeer
03-14-2008, 08:08 PM
deano,

That last post was pure class, good honest info, only holding back on the wear out your own boot info!! :tongue:

mark
03-14-2008, 09:18 PM
One of the biggest deer in the B.C record book came from that area.Good Luck

Thats nonsense! With the super long any buck season and 2 deer limit yer hard pressed to find anything bigger than a spiker! ;)

Buck
03-14-2008, 11:11 PM
The Buck was taken long ago in 1967 around Sheridan lake net score 200 2/8.

Caveman
03-15-2008, 12:13 AM
Thats nonsense! With the super long any buck season and 2 deer limit yer hard pressed to find anything bigger than a spiker! ;)
Ya!!! What He Said !!!!

hunter1947
03-15-2008, 05:20 AM
Don't let anyone pull a fast one on you ,that area is an excelent area for mule deer. Just get a back roads map book and head in and look to find good areas ,scouting is part of finding a good deer spot ,you just got to look.

CanuckShooter
03-15-2008, 06:41 AM
Only mule deer around there I think, Peacd, Okanagan or Kootenays would be a better deer hunting spot because they have both mule and white tail deer. The best place to hunt would depend upon where you live, how far your willing to travel etc. Another place to think about might be Valemount to Kamloops area....some big deer in there.

steelheadSABO
06-27-2008, 07:08 PM
im not stupid im up there all the time i ride on a big 30 point buck that gives me rides to school in the morning this year hes gonna be my dinner cause im taking the bus:)

wsm
06-27-2008, 08:43 PM
get in there early sept, by the 20 of sept the deer have moved on and mostly resident deer after that. go up windy mount road, follow it to the gravel pit stay to the right. there are deer the other way but not as many and more so in small pockets. when you go to the right past the gravel pit the deer hunting gets a better, after the gravel pit hang your first right and then left after the bridge, plenty of cut blocks on that road get out and walk to the back them (their all pretty good)this is where ive seen most of the lager deer i've come across in that area. if you want more specifics PM me. happy to help out

jml11
06-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Haven't hunted the area too much however, one of the biggest bucks I ever had a chance at was about 4 years ago just west of 100 mile, not far off the exeter road. Seen photos of some decent 4 pointers taken out of the bridge lake area within the past couple of years. From what i've heard the big bucks are few and far between but you can get a whopper if you put in the time. Biggest secret is to get off the roads and hunt the timber, that goes for anywhere in B.C.

no one has ever pulled anything bigger than a two point...maybe we just don't know what's up but we put on 100's of km every trip and go everywhere and then some

If you are driving 100's of kilometers and only getting two points you need to get out the truck. There are mature bucks around. As I said they are in the timber, and often not far off the road. Still hunting is the way the to go. You probably won't see lots of deer but when you find a buck, decent chance it will be a good one! I have many friends who have shot monster bucks within the timber, often within sight of main haul roads which see dozens of hunters in a day and hundreds over the season! Hopefully this year is my year!

wsm
06-27-2008, 09:00 PM
the cut block across from needa lake hols some dandys if your willing to walk

steelheadSABO
06-27-2008, 09:38 PM
walkings my only option other than a mountainbike:)

Huey
06-27-2008, 09:39 PM
the cut block across from needa lake hols some dandys if your willing to walk

Thanks for your help on muley's in the windy mtn area, this will be my first hunting season out here and I've been researching this area pretty hard for a fall hunt. Hopefully can bring a 5-01 moose tag with me too.

Any tips on the FSR that is north of windy mtn coming off the canim FSR, just east of the cougar lake rec site?

wsm
06-28-2008, 07:53 AM
Only mule deer around there I think, Peacd, Okanagan or Kootenays would be a better deer hunting spot because they have both mule and white tail deer. The best place to hunt would depend upon where you live, how far your willing to travel etc. Another place to think about might be Valemount to Kamloops area....some big deer in there.
couple years ago i saw a few whiteys on windy fsr neer the 191 cut off

browningboy
06-28-2008, 08:14 AM
I never hunt for deer really but see tonnes of them around Timothy lake area, Lac La Hache has a good pocket of them, really anywhere around that area (100 Mile) will produce, good luck!

Jelvis
06-28-2008, 12:38 PM
My buddy drives around Lac la hache all the time, Semi driver says, thats where in all his travels he see's deer on the highway--a lot, some hit by traffic vehicles.
If you want moose, Gustafsen Lake area, is moosey go in just above 93 Mile House. Don't forget if you see a spot where a bull moose could be, there could be a big buck mule deer in there. Jel Mu 5-2- Gustafsen Lake or just above Enterprize, on Hwy 97, turn up Knife Creek, to Squawk Lake, cuz you'll be Squawkin about it after. lol Jellybean-Good-luck in z leh draws.

hunter1947
06-29-2008, 05:17 AM
My buddy drives around Lac la hache all the time, Semi driver says, thats where in all his travels he see's deer on the highway--a lot, some hit by traffic vehicles.
If you want moose, Gustafsen Lake area, is moosey go in just above 93 Mile House. Don't forget if you see a spot where a bull moose could be, there could be a big buck mule deer in there. Jel Mu 5-2- Gustafsen Lake or just above Enterprize, on Hwy 97, turn up Knife Creek, to Squawk Lake, cuz you'll be Squawkin about it after. lol Jellybean-Good-luck in z leh draws.

Jel knows were to go ,if you want deer go were he suggests to go ,you can't go wrong http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

srupp
06-29-2008, 12:42 PM
The road to Timothy lake has HUGE bears in there..as well as great bucks...on the north end of LAC LA HACHE is WRIGHT STATION RD...it goes WEST up behind lac la hache lake..go in 10 kms..turn LEFT as the rd forks there ( right goes to Gustafson lake) ..from there it goes 2 kms to a T intersection left takes you back to the SOUTH end of LAC LA HACHE...if ya go right you go to HELENA lake..one of THE best fly fishing lakes.PERIOD.!

Anywhere from the highway to Helena lake or the ridges back to lac la hache south there are TONS of trails to walk and plenty of deer and some WHOPPERS.

You wont get any more accurate, specific or sucessful area.....

Get out and get 400 meters OFF the road...and take a sharp knife, valid tag and LOTS of film for the camera..

CHEERS

Steven

wsm
06-29-2008, 02:29 PM
hiked out of helena . even though i never saw any deer the amount of fresh track i found was UNBELIEVABLE. looked like a stampede of deer had gone through the area. it didn't matter where i hiked in the area it looked like that. came by an area neer there where 100ft strips of trees were missing from the bottom to the top of the hills every 100 meters or so. those open areas were covered with deer sign. i was impressed. is an area i will go back to during hunting season. gustafson lk area always has some moose around, go up in november and they are everywhere, kicking them off the roads like ravens on a kill

Jelvis
06-29-2008, 03:58 PM
If you want good mule deer bucks, like who doesn't right. If you got gas and can drive around looking out and seeing an area to get out and hunt, while road hunting, sound to good. Your in luck. Try finding Roe lake on your map first. Hwy 24, the fishermens hwy just 10 km west of Bridge Lake, in Mu 5-1. Go north young man from, Roe Lake, and go, stay in this S.E. area of 5-1 and you will see some bucks in the Windy Creek area for one example. Get out and hike the drainages for instance, look it up first. Hunt to Deka Lake and Bowers Lake the southern ends, friends. Then turn around. Good luck, good spots. Jelly. P.S. Don't worry about any Hillbillys living up there, just hunt on the crown's land. You only go in from Roe Lake about maximum 25 km then turn around cuz the hunting is in between. From Roe Lake, on hwy 24, north, and about 25 km in and around between that distance. Jel check the ridges and drainages for mule deers.