PDA

View Full Version : Peta Article - Black Bear

GrandA
03-14-2008, 11:33 AM
I rarely post here - but read up on the forum almost daily! I check out the Peta site from time to time for entertainment... Anyways I came accross this article today in regards to baiting Black Bears.

Here is the link to the article - http://getactive.peta.org/campaign/canada_bear_baiting

My question is if any what provinces do allow bear baiting?

holmes76
03-14-2008, 11:51 AM
i believe, but not sure that all but bc allow it.

Steeleco
03-14-2008, 11:58 AM
We had someone find and post that article a week or so back, but to answer your question, baiting isn't allowed in BC as you may be aware, but in the prairies and Ontario I believe it is legal to hunt over bait. Not sure about the others but Quebec might be allowed also.

308Lover
03-14-2008, 12:59 PM
What sickens me is the fact that hundreds of black bears are killed by CO's due to complaints in towns and cities. (70-90 in Prince George). They prey heavily on moose calves, yet fewer people seem to be hunting them. There are "thousands" of black bears in north central B.C. Better to hunt/harvest them than see them killed on the roads or dumped in landfills.

pointandshoot
03-14-2008, 02:06 PM
hit bears were a real problem around whistler and squamish last year..i wouldn't want to be the co that has to track down an injured pissed off bear after dark. people in these areas really need to keep tabs on their waste and when they put it out. when i lived in west van there was always a street on garbage day that looked like a tornado had just ripped threw because people would put their garbage out the night before...i wonder if the garbage trucks were packing 338's...why not, the brinks guys are.

kootenayelkslayer
03-14-2008, 03:22 PM
That article is such junk. They don't even have their facts straight. Bear baiting wasn't "banned in BC because of the barbaric nature", its been banned due to the possibility of grizzlies coming to the baits. Baiting isn't the way I'd personally like to harvest bears, but it does give the hunter time to make a good shoot for a humane kill, and gives time for a hunter to determine if the bear is a sow with cubs. I know that where I've worked, we make sure that our hunters do their best to harvest mature boars only. It was rare to see a sow get shot, let alone a wet sow.

GrandA
03-14-2008, 04:31 PM
kootenayelkslayer - you make some good points I never thought of the "pros" of baiting a bear as being you get a clean kill and a better chance to identify gender.

thanks

islandboy
03-14-2008, 08:18 PM
I just couldn't help myself, I followed GrandAs' link to the PETA link and hijacked thier online form to submit a letter of protest (with a twist);).

I was half way through doing the same when I read your post. I hope you do not mind that I used your letter (I liked yours better than the one I was writing).:biggrin:

RiverOtter
03-14-2008, 08:56 PM
That video had me reaching for the Puffs......

Only a few more weeks and we can start hunting those intelligent, gentle and curious creatures........SIGH, can someone pass the puffs again?

RO

7mmag
03-15-2008, 03:37 AM
I just couldn't help myself, I followed GrandAs' link to the PETA link and hijacked thier online form to submit a letter of protest (with a twist);).

I did the same with a less diplomatic tone:)

I think the term "granola muncher" was used:wink: