PDA

View Full Version : What type of archer are you

rocksteady
03-13-2008, 10:20 AM
So let's here from you guys and gals....

We are not going to go into a debate of which is best/pure/fairest to game etc etc...

Post which you HUNT with or have in the past for those who have moved from one to another.

tomahawk
03-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Compound, fingers.

rocksteady
03-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Have done compound with release, but because of a shoulder injury had to move onto a crossbow.....

tomahawk
03-13-2008, 10:34 AM
Have done compound with release, but because of a shoulder injury had to move onto a crossbow.....

And that's what xbows are good for, keeping someone unable to pull and hold in the game!

sealevel
03-13-2008, 10:39 AM
I need to vote twice i am compound but drifting over to stick and string.

Ron.C
03-13-2008, 11:12 AM
compound for me. Maybe down the road I'll try traditional again. Tried it a few years back and it didn't stick. It's too freaken hard!!!!!!!

Wild one
03-13-2008, 12:04 PM
I have shot all three but at the moment I shoot only compound.I will most likely buy another recurve soon just because I miss the one I shot as a kid.

springpin
03-13-2008, 12:11 PM
I voted compound, but have shot a Long bow and really enjoyed it..and did well with it. I'll end up buying a long bow one day.

Tinney
03-13-2008, 01:28 PM
What about target/FITA/field!? This is a 'what type of bowhunter are you' poll

Kody94
03-13-2008, 01:32 PM
I have hunted with all three. Have spent the most time hunting with a recurve though, until the last couple years which has been mainly with a compound.

It doesn't matter what technology I use though (including rifles), I have traditional values at heart. :D

Cheers,
4Ster

rocksteady
03-13-2008, 01:57 PM
What about target/FITA/field!? This is a 'what type of bowhunter are you' poll

Read the third line under the poll Tin....

"Post which you HUNT with or have in the past "

J_T
03-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Tinney. Good question. But interesting. I took it the other way. The use of the word "archer" for me, suggested target.

I'm a bowhunter and I shoot a recurve. Is that in the lonbow category?:p

interceptor
03-13-2008, 03:46 PM
I shoot sighted compound with release. I have shot Trad bows in comps before and will buy a nice custom Curve one day.

Cheers Noel

islandboy
03-13-2008, 03:52 PM
Reformed wheelie :eek: , Now shooting a recurve. :biggrin:

greybark
03-13-2008, 04:17 PM
:biggrin: Hunted with Compound /Fingers for 14 years (approx) and Traditional for 12 years .
:cool: When I get old and grey I will go to crossbow BUT not before then . My draw lenght will then be the same as Sealevel`s . LOL

sealevel
03-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Ha ha !! greybark you would need a cummins powered pacemaker just to drag one of them crossbows up to your treestand.

bruin
03-13-2008, 04:49 PM
I have been shooting a recurve for about 9or 10 years and this year I switched to a compound to increase my range a little.

pupper
03-13-2008, 05:15 PM
I just shoot compound as of now but I would like to get a long bow and do some traditional shooting.

Gateholio
03-13-2008, 05:21 PM
The only bows I have ever owned and hunted with was a traditional longbow.

I've borrowed crossbows and compounds and used them a couple of times, too.

huntwriter
03-13-2008, 08:20 PM
Compound and crossbow for hunting and traditional bow for play (just no time to put the practice in needed to become proficient with a traditional bow for hunting.)

Bow Walker
03-13-2008, 10:19 PM
I voted "No preference - will try them all", because I am very interested in all things connected with archery.

But right now I only have compounds. I have my eye on the Hoyt GameMaster II...:cool:

diggerpax
03-13-2008, 10:56 PM
I have all three, but can't say I've shot enough with the stick to hunt with it yet- it's on the list when I get more time. I hunt with a Mathews.

sealevel
03-14-2008, 06:34 AM
Oh no not a mathews shooter they are way wurser than crossbows:evil::razz:

OOBuck
03-14-2008, 06:55 AM
The hole mamajama!! give them all a try

riflebuilder
03-14-2008, 07:56 AM
I shot a longbow and recurve untill a shoulder injury now I shoot a compound. No matter what you shoot archery is great and eveyone that flings a stick gets my approval. as if it matters.

Awishanew
03-14-2008, 08:19 AM
I started by buying a book called "Bows and Arrows of Native Americans" and built a yew bow with sinew backing. I let someone try it and with his long draw it broke. I bought a recurve and shot it for 2 years. Switched to a longbow and shot it for 8 or 9 years. Now have come full circle and built a sinew backed longbow. Great challange.

Bow Walker
03-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Dennis - don't let that ape with the long arms try your second longbow!!

Awishanew
03-14-2008, 09:32 AM
I've named my bow "Don,t Ask".

Thunderstix
03-14-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm sure someone has already said it but where is trad recurve? Don't have time right now to read all the posts.

diggerpax
03-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Oh no not a mathews shooter they are way wurser than crossbows:evil::razz:

We just get that rep because our trophy rooms are so packed- people get jealous and start looking for excuses :smile: and if you ever lump me in with crossbows again I might just set up a tree stand in your front yard- :smile:

sealevel
03-15-2008, 09:49 PM
Its just to much fun bashing a mathews shooter. Ha ha ... i do like that new little short one mathews is making . If i was in the market i would look at it.

diggerpax
03-19-2008, 01:13 PM
There is never a time not to be in the market for a Mathews if you don't already shoot one........

newhunterette
03-19-2008, 01:32 PM
I put traditional longbow but actually traditional recurve is what I will be shooting but it wasnt posted with that choice

Peter shoots a traditional recurve and a crossbow

kids are all traditional recurve shooters

kloosterboer
03-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Compound for me and Mathews all the way!!!

BRrooster
03-19-2008, 06:58 PM
Compound release sights ect. Ive had some success as a bowhunter, but will probably be going crossbow soon because of shoulder problems.
still in the game
brooster

rocksteady
03-19-2008, 07:38 PM
traditional longbow but actually traditional recurve

Tells you how much there is to know about sticks and strings...I thought I had put all of them down..:eek::eek:

Elkhound
03-19-2008, 07:42 PM
compound for me.............did not have enough time to really practice with my recurve

03-22-2008, 09:58 AM
I recently purchased a Xbow.....I love it. I find it interesting how many archers seem to have some sort of distain for Xbows. I'm only 35 and in great shape, so pulling a compound or traditional is no problem, but practice time is a problem. I have a young family and a very busy business. The beauty of Xbows is that they are so incredibly easy to shoot well.

Hunter numbers are dwindling in the province....I would suggest that we embrace any technology that might stabilize hunting in the province and help preserve our hertitage.

BowSitter
03-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Definatly a compound for me as I really like to hit what I am aiming at! LOL

Onesock
03-22-2008, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't embrace technology that questions my ethics. Bow hunting is bow hunting. It is supposed to be difficult.

The 'Hummer'
03-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Compounds for me. Hoyt Ultra tec for target and a Hoyt Cyber tec for hunting & 3D. I have a couple of Williams recurves I picked up years ago when I started 'fiddling' around with the sport. Recently my sisters partner asked if I would sell an 'Atilla' Checkmate recurve hunting bow for him and I'm thinking I may pick that up as well, just for something different to play with. I 'need it'.;-)

Deerwhacker
03-22-2008, 05:39 PM
I shoot a Excalibur equinox myself , bow hunting no matter what your are using is one heck of a thrill .getting an animal within 30 yards and focusing on the yardage and trajectory of the shot is challenging, nervracking , and exciting at the same time.

Onesock
03-22-2008, 06:41 PM
Bowhunting is supposed to "harder" than rifle hunting. Why would anyone pick a sport for its uniqueness and then try to make it mundane. Leave the x-bows alone a pick up a real bow.

03-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Onesock,

You are a bit judgmental. Do you think it unethical to rifle hunt? I see no problem using a xbow to hunt. It still takes skill to get within 30 yards of an animal. I have done some epic backpack hunts in my life...ten days ++. I could easily say that sitting in a stand, or at the edge of a field or anything that doesn't require extreme physical stamina and survival skills is unethical. I find that bow hunters can be obnoxious when it comes to other hunting modalities.....as if bowhunters have a monopoly on ethics and "purist" ideals.

The crossbow appeals to me....it has a 2000 year history and works very well to ethicaly kill animals. My guess is that anybody against using a crossbow has probably never hunted with one.

BowSitter
03-23-2008, 09:22 AM
Great post 325, I feel the same way. Just because i have a Mopar and you are running a Chevy doesn't mean we can't be friends as we are all fellow enthusiasts!....Just my two cents....Ron:wink:

greybark
03-23-2008, 12:20 PM
:wink: Hey Onesock and 325 , Firstly both of you are partly right . In regards to Onesocks acertation "that Bowhunting is suposed to be harder" . Well it is by nature harder BUT the use of crossbow technology which is legal and easier to use must not be disparaged . The recruitment factor to Traditional from Crossbow is overlooked , there is a look of satifaction in photos of crossbow harvests but a bit of additional spark in the Traditional harvest . This does not preclude the crossbow hunter but as 325 states there are reasons why they choose it as a weapon and they should be a part of the bowhunting faternaty .
:cool: Crossbow hunters are in several ways their own enemy . To be frank and to the point . First their participation at 3-d events in spite of welcome advertisments is next to none . Secondly I have yet to see crossbow hunters be part of a Club that promotes bowhunting , Conservation and Eco projects . Thirdly they are fragmented and few speaking up now and then on forums as this but never as a combined voice . Forthly mostly I hear of complaints from them concerning all or part of the above .
:D Help us to enclude all segments of bowhunting . Discusion on forums are great and include all levels of enthusiasum (from Onesock to Brothjack and now 325) but participation in all aspects of bowhunting is the key to moving forward .
;) We hear from Onesock quite often as he is one who deeply involved in all aspects of bowhunting and reading 325 `s common sense posting is good. Welcome 325
Cheers

greybark
03-23-2008, 12:37 PM
Onesock,

You are a bit judgmental. Do you think it unethical to rifle hunt? I see no problem using a xbow to hunt. It still takes skill to get within 30 yards of an animal. I have done some epic backpack hunts in my life...ten days ++. I could easily say that sitting in a stand, or at the edge of a field or anything that doesn't require extreme physical stamina and survival skills is unethical. I find that bow hunters can be obnoxious when it comes to other hunting modalities.....as if bowhunters have a monopoly on ethics and "purist" ideals.

The crossbow appeals to me....it has a 2000 year history and works very well to ethicaly kill animals. My guess is that anybody against using a crossbow has probably never hunted with one.

8-) All segments of the hunting faternaty have defensive or enthusiastic attitudes which can easily be conscruded as "monopoly on ethics or being a purist" . Believe me I`ve heard it all .
:eek: When you are 70 years old and in failing health and the high mountain hunts are but memories that treestand at the edge of a field or forest trail is all I have left and is every bit as challenging and ethical .
:eek: I will use a crossbow when I get old and grey and not before (each of us have our reason)as it will be a means to be out there .
Cheers

Onesock
03-23-2008, 01:09 PM
325- No I do not see rifle hunting as unethical. As a matter of fact it is very ethical. What I see as the problem is this- Take muzzle loading hunting for example. Prior to in-line guns I had all the respect in the world for muzzle loader hunters. Here were guys that took the tougher road and persevered. Then as only mankind can do they scewed this up by inventing the in-line gun to make it EASIER. Now I read stories of muzzle loaders shooting 300 yards. No need for a special season for them is there. I don't want to see this happen to our bow only seasons because the uneducated x-bow shooter is taking 90 yard shots at deer. If bow seasons intrigue you get a bow and go hunting. If its only the x-bow that intrigues you use it in the GOS. I bet it won't intrigue that much.
As for you Barky, I can't imagine how old you would be before you picked up a x-bow. Damn old I bet!!

Deerwhacker
03-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Well lets start with a fact .. crossbows and compound verts have the same effective range on animals. to get rid of crossbows in bow season you would surely have to get rid of compound verts too . I have both vert and horizontal bows and I defiantly realized something after a day of shooting my vert , that being the vert bow was very easy to pick up and i was getting consistent groups out to 20 yards It took me longer to get my crossbow shooting the same (not allot longer but a little bit).So onesock believes that only stickbow shooters should be aloud to be involved in bow seasons? we are all bowhunters and one could easily make an argument that stickbows dont have the velocity's to take out animals effectively , there are a select few traditional hunters out there that are taking risky shots and wounding game the same as a select few compound vert shooters and horizontal bow shooters would take a "90" yard shot.

Deerwhacker
03-23-2008, 01:39 PM
How about suggesting something positive like a speed cap on all bows?
crossbows are what got me interested in hunting and im sure im not the only one , not allowing new people into the bow seasons will be detrimental to hunter recruitment in general.
And yes I enjoy shooting my crossbow more than my vert bow ,that is why I hunt with a horizontal bow!..... to each his own

The 'Hummer'
03-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Why would you want a 'speed cap' on all bows or what exactly would it accomplish?:confused: To me, it sounds about the equivalent of a 'speed cap' on bullets.

Deerwhacker
03-23-2008, 02:35 PM
I was thinking something along the lines of findeing a way to have a maximum speed on bows that are alloud in the bow season. same as haveing a minimum speed on air guns for you haveing to have a pal. I dont know just a positive Idea to onesocks technology problem instead of banning compound bows.

03-23-2008, 03:07 PM
I think the fear that "traditional" bow hunters have towards usage of Xbows during the archery season is that suddenly the woods will be crawling with hunters, and that their coveted "special" season will somehow become contaminated. I do not think this fear is grounded in reality. There may be some increase in archery season participation now that xbows are an option, but I doubt it will be noticed in the field.

Additinally, hunting in BC (and Canada) is on the decline. Elitist attitudes by those already hunting is not inviting to new hunters. I imagine that the obvious revulsion that a few bowhunters have towards xbows keeps many xbow users away from archery competitions. No one wants to go somewhere and feel marginalized or inferior....I for one would rather just practice away in my back yard, and avoid unfair judgment as to what my "ethics" may be.

Finally, it is ignorant to think that someone using a xbow is somehow more apt to take "90 yard shots", than any other bow hunter. The guy that takes 90 yard shots with his xbow, is the same guy who takes 500 yard shots with his rifle, and really doesn't care if he wounds an animal. That's not me....and I resent having my ethics, knowledge and common-sense questioned just because I'm intrigued with xbows, and excited to hunt with one.

I have rifle hunted for over 20 years, and have been very successful, and I have wanted a xbow for 10 years. I'm excited to finally own one, and I'll let you all know how I do with it this fall:smile:

The 'Hummer'
03-23-2008, 10:10 PM
I was thinking something along the lines of findeing a way to have a maximum speed on bows that are alloud in the bow season. same as haveing a minimum speed on air guns for you haveing to have a pal. I dont know just a positive Idea to onesocks technology problem instead of banning compound bows.
Sorry, I still don't see what would be gained or accomplished by restricting the speed of a projectile, be it an arrow or a bullet, especially when used in the field.:confused:

Deerwhacker
03-23-2008, 11:00 PM
the potential problem was brought up that if archery equipment keeps getting faster and faster than everyone will be shooting ridiculous ranges and our bow only season will go the way of the muzzle loader season. I doubt that archery equipment will be able to effectively kill game past 40 yards no matter what speeds modern bows reach, but if the time comes when something needs to be done ,something like a speed cap would be a much more constructive option than banning everything but traditional bows from the bow only seasons.

plumbob
03-24-2008, 07:58 AM
Shot compound for 7years shoulder injury switched to crossbow just started pulling compound after 3 years and now second injury to right shoulder don't know if I will ever pull even a crossbow again.

The 'Hummer'
03-24-2008, 09:01 AM
the potential problem was brought up that if archery equipment keeps getting faster and faster than everyone will be shooting ridiculous ranges and our bow only season will go the way of the muzzle loader season. I doubt that archery equipment will be able to effectively kill game past 40 yards no matter what speeds modern bows reach, but if the time comes when something needs to be done ,something like a speed cap would be a much more constructive option than banning everything but traditional bows from the bow only seasons.
Well, once more, I fail to see the rational of a speed cap on arrows. It would be about as logical as a speed cap on bullets. Basically the speed helps minimize the trajectory/arc of any projectile within a given distance and also extends the distance or range of the effective killing power.

sealevel
03-24-2008, 09:09 AM
Part of what onesock says make sense we did lose our ML seasons because of inlines ... And already there is a crossbow thats doing over 400 fps. You have to be a nuckle dragger to get much more then 300 from a hunting compound . with my short draw and heavy arrow i an getting only 270.... Thank goodness the rest of north america do`s not see crossbows as archery so not much R&D will go in to making them real fast. ..I don`t see crossbows as a threat i have never seen anyone hunt with one.

shotgunjohn
03-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Still no spot on the poll for us traditional recurve shooters.

As for the crossbow question I just heard about a new compound that is supposed to shoot 350 feet per second. Also I have drawn an 80% let off compound set at 50 lbs and could have held it at full draw for as long as I could hold my arms up. Sooo I don't really see much difference. Any bowhunting is good hunting in my book.

greybark
03-24-2008, 10:21 AM
:confused: Hey 325 , I certainly respect your views and to some extent understand your position . The problems (as outlined in post 49) is that new and enthusiastc crossbow hunters are held back to the back yard senario . To be fair all segments of archery users suffer some of the same ideoligy and change is brought about by those who stand up and demand to be counted . Show up and you would be surprised with the support provided .
:wink: By the way I have particapated in 3-d shoots with crossbow archers and have shared my "late season White tail" hunt camp for two weeks with a crossbow hunter .
:mrgreen: We both drank beer , froze our butts off and at the end of each day had stories to tell .

The Hermit
03-25-2008, 07:36 PM
I think the fear that "traditional" bow hunters have towards usage of Xbows during the archery season is that suddenly the woods will be crawling with hunters, and that their coveted "special" season will somehow become contaminated. I do not think this fear is grounded in reality. There may be some increase in archery season participation now that xbows are an option, but I doubt it will be noticed in the field.

Additinally, hunting in BC (and Canada) is on the decline. Elitist attitudes by those already hunting is not inviting to new hunters. I imagine that the obvious revulsion that a few bowhunters have towards xbows keeps many xbow users away from archery competitions. No one wants to go somewhere and feel marginalized or inferior....I for one would rather just practice away in my back yard, and avoid unfair judgment as to what my "ethics" may be.

Finally, it is ignorant to think that someone using a xbow is somehow more apt to take "90 yard shots", than any other bow hunter. The guy that takes 90 yard shots with his xbow, is the same guy who takes 500 yard shots with his rifle, and really doesn't care if he wounds an animal. That's not me....and I resent having my ethics, knowledge and common-sense questioned just because I'm intrigued with xbows, and excited to hunt with one.

I have rifle hunted for over 20 years, and have been very successful, and I have wanted a xbow for 10 years. I'm excited to finally own one, and I'll let you all know how I do with it this fall:smile:

Good on you 325, I hope you will enjoy it tremendously and will tell us the tales of your success! :cool: The only thing is I'd hope you would come out to the 3-D shoots and not let other's opinions stop you from enjoying a fun event, meeting other bow hunters, and perhaps overcoming some stereotyping.

Bowzone_Mikey
03-26-2008, 08:27 AM
hate to break it to you .... those that will poke at ridiculous ranges allready do ... no matter what they shoot and speeds shot, and just what is a ridiculous distance anyway? I am sure that have shot at your ridiculous distance ....and i know people have shot effectivly at my ridiculous distance....Its a comfort zone ... some poeple can shoot effectivly at 500 yrds some 250...some 100 .. others cant hit a barn wall from inside

and ya archery equipment effectivly kills at distances far beyond 40 yards .. In fact due to the laws of physics the killing power is much great at further distances due to the force of gravity... the problem is the one full second the arrow takes to go 90 yards. with a 300fps bow

GoatGuy
03-26-2008, 08:37 AM

Hopefully this will change in years to come.

Onesock
03-26-2008, 09:15 AM
X-bows have been welcome at some 3-D shoots for a number of years now. I have never seen one attend. Although I am against x-bows in bow only seasons I am in favor of them at 3-D shoots. I would really like to see some one at a 3-D shoot to see how they fair against a compound. Come on all you x-bow shooters enlighten me about your weapon of choice.
At our archery meeting a few weeks ago I backed allowing x-bows at our 3-D shoot. X-bow shooters say they don't like to be looked down upon. Come out to some 3-D shoots and change the brush you have been painted with.