PDA

View Full Version : What I hate about hunting in B.C.

spock
03-12-2008, 08:52 PM
What I hate the most is trying to decide what to hunt or where to go in our vast province with the 10 days to 2 weeks of hunting time I have each year. Do I go for elk in the kootenays, moose up north, whitetails where I get em everyyear, muleys in the cariboo. To many choices not enough time.

Phil
03-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Sounds like you need more time in the field. Life in B.C as a hunter is tough when we have to make those difficult decisions. ;)

trapperdan2061
03-12-2008, 08:57 PM
I plan short local trips for weekemds or after work this fills the time and then plan one big one every second year. Makes it more of a event.

Jelvis
03-12-2008, 09:47 PM
spock Thats good when thats the hardest decisions we have to make lol. I say two weeks in a row thats a good while in the bush. I think I would take the east Kootenay or the moose hunt, try the LEH for the two and which ever comes up take it. If you don't get LEH than go to the East Koots for some hunting cause the scenery alone is worth the trip in that country. Of course the white tail hunting is a priority. Good luck in the draws. jelly

mark
03-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Life is good when thats yer biggest problem! A guy really needs at least 3 months off for the season!

Sikanni Stalker
03-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Move to the Peace and you can have it all man. Moose , Elk, Whiteys, Mulies, goats, Boo, all in your back yard.That's what I did. I know how you feel though, when I was on the island we had to think about that every year. Pretty good though if your biggest stress is deciding where to hunt!!:wink:

Wolfman
03-12-2008, 10:32 PM
What I hate the most is trying to decide what to hunt or where to go in our vast province with the 10 days to 2 weeks of hunting time I have each year. Do I go for elk in the kootenays, moose up north, whitetails where I get em everyyear, muleys in the cariboo. To many choices not enough time.

Too true, Spock. Too true.

By the way, I like your user name.

Live Long and Prosper ;-)

Wolfman

Brambles
03-12-2008, 10:56 PM
A guy really needs at least 3 months off for the season!

I agree;) Thats what I try to do.:biggrin:

hunter1947
03-13-2008, 03:50 AM
What I like about hunting in BC is that I am retired ,now I have time to go where I want ,LOL. When I had that time factor problem I would go to a area in BC where there were a majority of the animals able to hunt ,that helped out lots. You just got to wait to retire then you will have the time ,LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :cool:.

7mmag
03-13-2008, 08:57 AM
That's what I love about BC once you've figured out one type of game you move on to the next one. It's great for a meat hunter who still likes a challenge, and it gives you an excuse to see a different part of the province every year.

farside
03-13-2008, 09:50 AM
What I like about hunting in BC is that I am retired ,now I have time to go where I want ,LOL. :lol: :lol: :cool:.

I think Wayne needs a time out! He is getting down right nasty.:cool:

BlacktailStalker
03-13-2008, 09:57 AM
I don't hate anything about hunting in BC, if I lived elesewhere I'd be bitching I wasnt here.
Trust me Darc, he rubs it in all the time lol

03-13-2008, 10:10 AM
I am originally from Alberta, but have lived in BC off and on for 17 years. I love hunting here. I spent a few years living in Alabama, and did some hunting there and in Georgia....both places pretty well require that you belong to a "hunting club" to have access to "good" hunting. I was invited by a friend of mine on a few occasions, which reinforced just how fortunate we are in Canada...especially in the West. BC is God's Country!

tomahawk
03-13-2008, 10:40 AM

That don't sound like a problem to me, that's a blessing for us all. The guys in the rest of the world have that problem not us!

Mr. Dean
03-13-2008, 11:12 AM
That don't sound like a problem to me, that's a blessing for us all. The guys in the rest of the world have that problem not us!
Ditto!

We're lucky too have 6 weeks of vacation time. Each and every day of it is dedicated to the outdoors. Usually 4 weeks fer hunt'n and 2 for fish'n. Not mentioning the day trips and weekends...

I'm thinking that even the retired guys feel that they don't have enough time to play.

mark4
03-13-2008, 12:31 PM
It's hard to beleive that most people don't hunt- Hunter numbers are lower than ever- Must be too many big screen T.V.'s and video games out there !! Sometimes I feel like reminding people that they live in BC- The best hunting spot in the world- HELLO !!!

Beardy
03-13-2008, 02:00 PM
I hate this thread! ;) I moved to BC three years ago for graduate studies and I'm HATING the day when I'll have to move back home to Ontario. Our choices there are moose, moose, moose, white tails, moose, gophers, the odd black bear and oh yeah, did I say moose? Everyone of you that are staying here are so lucky, I'm already crying, I don't want to go back! I'm hooked!

Mr. Dean
03-13-2008, 04:05 PM
I hate this thread! ;) I moved to BC three years ago for graduate studies and I'm HATING the day when I'll have to move back home to Ontario. Our choices there are moose, moose, moose, white tails, moose, gophers, the odd black bear and oh yeah, did I say moose? Everyone of you that are staying here are so lucky, I'm already crying, I don't want to go back! I'm hooked!

Well then,,, STAY!

No such thing as have to.
It should be more about want to... You just dont want it bad enough. :biggrin:

Beardy
03-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Well then,,, STAY!

No such thing as have to.
It should be more about want to... You just dont want it bad enough. :biggrin:

Hahaha I guess... it won't take much convincing! I want it BAD, believe me. The fam is just pulling hard, y'know?

Paulyman
03-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Geez, poor guy. what does a guy do? if you need any support i'm here for you, try and be strong,K

tracker
03-13-2008, 07:55 PM
Alot of the time it depends on how the leh gods treat me,if I do get a leh then I make sure I use it and hunt that animal for at least 10 days .. I like to hunt everything that walks and fly's ,but I do concentrate on spring bear ,elk and mulies...

srupp
03-13-2008, 09:18 PM
what I HATE about BC HUNTING

LEH..allows some to get 7 draws and not use 1/2 of them..IF that..and the rest are wasted..system should require you PURCHASE A TAG w/i x amount of days or return that LEH for redrawing in a second round..at no time should anyone get more than 3 LEH'S in the first round..

costs of eg. stone sheep hunts $30,000 make it a real $$$$ maker for guides so back room sweetheart deals with PILOTS... for ensuring "their" gag puke..is kept free from annoying BC RESIDENT TAXPAYERS..

Seasons that are suddenly changed by "biologists " schooled by Sesame Street??

2 sets of rules one for "aboriginals" and another for those of us who have lived our entire life here too..

A government that is GIVING AWAY BC To special groups ie first Nation and taking those areas away from us and our future hunters /fishermen..and once the 110% that has been "claimed" is given out where was it again we were supposed to hunt??

Once the "licenses" for fishing the Skeena have a $$$ attatched to them for a license to fish " indian band x" traditional fisshing area watch the cash grab..

Leh should also be a points system like Alberta you KNOW in advance when you have enough "points" to hunt grizzlies in say Surrey..

Steven

hunter1947
03-14-2008, 05:31 AM
I think Wayne needs a time out! He is getting down right nasty.:cool:
LOL :lol: Fareside ,I love rubbing it in.

Mr. Dean
03-14-2008, 09:34 AM
what I HATE about BC HUNTING

LEH..allows some to get 7 draws and not use 1/2 of them..IF that..and the rest are wasted..system should require you PURCHASE A TAG w/i x amount of days or return that LEH for redrawing in a second round..at no time should anyone get more than 3 LEH'S in the first round..

costs of eg. stone sheep hunts $30,000 make it a real $$$$ maker for guides so back room sweetheart deals with PILOTS... for ensuring "their" gag puke..is kept free from annoying BC RESIDENT TAXPAYERS..

Seasons that are suddenly changed by "biologists " schooled by Sesame Street??

2 sets of rules one for "aboriginals" and another for those of us who have lived our entire life here too..

A government that is GIVING AWAY BC To special groups ie first Nation and taking those areas away from us and our future hunters /fishermen..and once the 110% that has been "claimed" is given out where was it again we were supposed to hunt??

Once the "licenses" for fishing the Skeena have a $$$ attatched to them for a license to fish " indian band x" traditional fisshing area watch the cash grab..

Leh should also be a points system like Alberta you KNOW in advance when you have enough "points" to hunt grizzlies in say Surrey..

Steven

Ding, ding!

Most rings true IMO, except the LEH.
98% of that should just be scrapped.

Other than the odd doe entry, I don't/won't even participate.
Mngr's should manage GAME, not POLITICS.

abbyfireguy
03-15-2008, 11:55 AM
I really enjoy the outdoor experience. After 25 years out hunting we have found many areas that we can hunt.
Two of our hunting group are retired Vancouver Island gents(oops,forgot Molly,make that three,she'd kick me if I left her out!).
They can go whenever they want and stay till they get their animals...The other two of us younger guys(50yrs young)still have to work for a living and need to plan well in advance to spend quality time up north for moose ..
We are very fortunate to live in an area that has so many options open to us for outdoor recreation.
Now, just have to work 5 more years and I can join Doug,Bill and Molly for a month at a time and throw away the calender..;-)

pmj
03-15-2008, 07:14 PM
I live on the Coast. I have problems buying the right camo pattern. Depending on where I hunt. The Coast rain forest. Pine forests of Princeton. The timber in 100 mile. And throw in some snow to boot.

Downwindtracker2
03-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Gas Prices