PDA

View Full Version : Local salt waters in the LML

Leaseman
03-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Going to take the jet out into the local salk chuck this year.... so I need to put on some downriggers, manual ones as I don't know how often I will get out.....

What do you guys recommend as far as make, model, boom length etc....

Thanks for your help!

Mike

tomahawk
03-12-2008, 04:20 PM
I have the scotty electrics but definetly go with Scotty's. They have a life time warranty and they will service them for free as well, made in Victoria. Not certain on models but there are extended boom models available.

Leaseman
03-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Thanks tomahawk....

What I was wondering is do you need the extended boom and why....does the 24 or 36" work fine or do you need the 48 or 60".....???

Thanks
Mike

ps...the electric would get in the way of the dino fishin'.....:cool:

MB_Boy
03-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Leaseman....

We have always used the 36".....however I believe they are telescopic. Never had a problem with them....with stacked lines they seem to be fine too. Only had one tangle that I can recall from last year.

Leaseman
03-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Great!!!
Thanks MB Boy, that's what I am looking for!!!

tomahawk
03-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Leaseman....

We have always used the 36".....however I believe they are telescopic. Never had a problem with them....with stacked lines they seem to be fine too. Only had one tangle that I can recall from last year.

Agree totally, that is what I mean by extended, not the short little lake ones you can get.

lip_ripper00
03-12-2008, 06:02 PM
look at the scotty 1090 they are extendable, I have used them with no problems.

480ruger
03-12-2008, 06:46 PM
i have the 60'' extendable scottys on mine.. i think the longer ones are better for fishing a little deeper with the currents,less likely of getting the downriggers wraped togather,and further away from the prop, and you will be able to make tighter turns without worry..

Mr. Dean
03-13-2008, 08:13 AM
I have a pair of Scotty "Pro-Paks". Seldom do I extend them out. Main thing is to weigh and rig out evenly.

BIGHUNTERFISH
03-13-2008, 08:25 AM
Hi Leaseman,
Make sure if you run your jet in the chuck it is a nice calm day or you might not have to much fun.Check this link out.

www.berrysbait.com/1/01/1003.htm (http://www.berrysbait.com/1/01/1003.htm)

MB_Boy
03-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Great!!!
Thanks MB Boy, that's what I am looking for!!!

Leaseman....

AS BHF said it can get ugly out there quickly.....I would try for first light in the local chuck. Sure you get your days where it is calm right through the day, but "generally speaking" it does "chop up" a bit by early afternoon.

If you need a "ballast" to sit on the opposite side of the boat from you and watch the lines......let me know. I just bought a house about a 2 minute walk from the False Creek boat launch. :wink:

<EDIT>

Leaseman...

If you are looking for "riggers" I just saw the Pacific Angler on West Broadway in Vancouver (i know it is a bit of a drive) is having their "One Year Anniversary" sale and it mentions savings on all sorts of "salt gear" and one of the brands named is Scotty. It is the weekend of March 29-30.

Not sure if you are a member on BCFR but it is posted on there under the "advertisers section".

Cheers,

Scott

abbyfireguy
03-14-2008, 03:55 PM
I fish my jet in the chuck quite often..Its an inboard with full top and dashboard heat/defrost for those cold days.
Had it up at Bamfield last year with no problems.
Just make sure you rinse the jet well.
Look on e-bay for scotty downriggers..
I got two 1101 electric brand new for $325 each.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s313/abbyfireguy/P1010309.jpg