PDA

View Full Version : East Kootney Elk Management.

hunter1947
03-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Is there anyone out there that can tell me what email address I have to use in order to send an email on my regards to elk in the EK ??? ,I just spend about an hour on putting an email together and having it fail to follow through ,what I thought http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif.

boxhitch
03-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Looking for MOE or EKWHA or local Media ?

Fisher-Dude
03-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Didn't you fill out the EK Regulations Propsals feedback forms this winter? That was the public's chance to comment. The decisions on the public's input has now been finalized and the submission has been sent to Victoria for the upcoming season. You may be too late.

hunter1947
03-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Thanks FD ,but it wont hurt sending them a email ,the more the better on concerns about elk hunting in the EK in the years to come.

hunter1947
03-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Looking for MOE or EKWHA or local Media ?
Thanks boxhitch ,I will phone the wildlife branch in Vic and ask to talk to someone I know that is a biologist in the elk area. He will tell me wear to send an email in my regards on elk hunting in the EK.

boxhitch
03-10-2008, 09:50 AM
The decisions on the public's input has now been finalized and the submission has been sent to Victoria for the upcoming season. You may be too late.Never too late to fight.

rocksteady
03-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Why not just send him the link to all the theads on this site, where we have discussed it......I think every opinion, from all over the spectrum was discussed...:biggrin:

GoatGuy
03-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Why not just send him the link to all the theads on this site, where we have discussed it......I think every opinion, from all over the spectrum was discussed...:biggrin:

Because biologists make decisions based on wildlife management not 'opinions' - they shouldn't have to read what hunters 'think' about antler restrictions.

rocksteady
03-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Getting them to read the thread may do 2 things:

1) Read about all of the numerous options out there...More than 1 way to skin a cat.....

2) Realize how passionate the members on this site are about hunting/hunting opportunities/herd management/asking questions of our government biologists, rather than just going "okay".....

03-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Is there anyone out there that can tell me what email address I have to use in order to send an email on my regards to elk in the EK ??? ,I just spend about an hour on putting an email together and having it fail to follow through ,what I thought http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif.

The many lengthy discussions we've had recently regarding elk management in the East Kootenay were all extremelly interesting, but were also all based on knowledge available at that specific time as well as on many personal preferences.

Right now we're looking at a final report on the elk inventory project being released shortly, which will remove many of the guesstimated population numbers and ratios, and which may bring some new factors into the equation, in addition to giving us some hard facts to go on.

This will be the best firm data we've had on elk numbers and herd status since the early 90's. Why not wait up a bit 47 and integrate those results into your proposal because these results could change the big picture in regards to elk management considerably? I'm thinking specifically of the three-way ratio between current numbers, current carrying capacity, and the percentage of the herd that is non-migratory. This could quite easily bring some new biological management objectives into the equation.

03-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Getting them to read the thread may do 2 things:

1) Read about all of the numerous options out there...More than 1 way to skin a cat.....

2) Realize how passionate the members on this site are about hunting/hunting opportunities/herd management/asking questions of our government biologists, rather than just going "okay".....

RS, after sitting through a couple of regional advisory committee meetings and participating in the discussions at that level on elk management, and knowing that the managers thoroughly examined all the responses to the web based consultation which often mirrored opinions posted on this site, I think I can pretty much assure you that the managers are already aware of all the options, and also got a real eye-opener on how passionate elk hunters are about elk management.

Additionally, I already did send them the results of the several polls we've had on this site. I think they are pretty busy, without expecting them to read through these threads, this one alone has some 28 pages and it's just one of several.

BCrams
03-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Additionally, I already did send them the results of the several polls we've had on this site.

A big thumbs up :grin:

Tinney
03-10-2008, 12:45 PM
The polls are skewed to show an obvious outsider interest in a region 4 shootemup elk season.

03-10-2008, 12:58 PM
The polls are skewed to show an obvious outsider interest in a region 4 shootemup elk season.

Probably, but so might be the web based consultation the MOE did, and the advisory committee input as well which is mostly driven by local interests, so how do they get truely un-skewed input?

BCrams
03-10-2008, 01:15 PM

You should have seen the results based on local interest from the local clubs which were skewed. At least this reflected the other spectrum of hunters from across the province.

Fisher-Dude
03-10-2008, 01:29 PM
The elk belong to and are hunted by all the people of BC, not just those residing in Region 4. Tinney, are you anti-opportunity? 8)

Tinney
03-10-2008, 03:42 PM
The elk belong to and are hunted by all the people of BC, not just those residing in Region 4. Tinney, are you anti-opportunity? 8)

I am anti poor management decisions for hunter recruitment. I am for hunter recruitment, but not at the cost of wildlife. Not ever at the cost of wildlife.

Fisher-Dude
03-10-2008, 03:56 PM
I am anti poor management decisions for hunter recruitment. I am for hunter recruitment, but not at the cost of wildlife. Not ever at the cost of wildlife.

So what's your beef with the proposed opening when the bios have said there is no conservation concern, and this year's inventory is indicating record high elk pops? How did a 3 point season remain sustainable for decades with twice the number of hunters we have now?

Tinney
03-10-2008, 04:03 PM
So what's your beef with the proposed opening when the bios have said there is no conservation concern, and this year's inventory is indicating record high elk pops? How did a 3 point season remain sustainable for decades with twice the number of hunters we have now?

Like I said, I don't subscribe to the terminology "no conservation concern"

Those terms are like global warming, everyone's jumping on the bandwagon, and everyone is looking at it like its a license to slaughter with no consequences.

BOOMSTICK
03-10-2008, 04:44 PM

Fisher-Dude -

It seems Tinney does not much approve of out of region hunters...

Oh great. More southern hunters shooting up the bush in 7A. This year it was almost enough to need blaze orange!

... especially you darn southern hunters coming up to his turf.

Tinney
03-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Nice dig :-P

Too bad you're taking it out of context. But yes, my personal experiences with lower mainland hunters has not been favourable. Which has nothing to do with this discussion. But, nice try.

BCrams
03-10-2008, 05:13 PM
Like I said, I don't subscribe to the terminology "no conservation concern"

Those terms are like global warming, everyone's jumping on the bandwagon, and everyone is looking at it like its a license to slaughter with no consequences.

Put it this way, forget the term no conservation concern.

The EK are experiencing high elk populations which are beyond the carrying capacity of the land base.

The elk need to be managed at current or below carrying capacity.

What do you think should be done? Obviously what you have read is poor management to you. Obviously you must have ideas for better management.

Tinney
03-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Put it this way, forget the term no conservation concern.

The EK are experiencing high elk populations which are beyond the carrying capacity of the land base.

The elk need to be managed at current or below carrying capacity.

What do you think should be done? Obviously what you have read is poor management to you. Obviously you must have ideas for better management.

:lol: Haha! wal dang son, strap on yer boots, we got critters to depopulate!

who made you god? i haven't received my pink slip yet

BCrams
03-10-2008, 05:43 PM
:lol: Haha! wal dang son, strap on yer boots, we got critters to depopulate!

who made you god? i haven't received my pink slip yet

Its pretty obvious, although you don't want to admit it.

You are correct the population needs to be reigned in. So how do we go about doing that?

Tinney
03-10-2008, 05:45 PM
errr read the sarcasm bud.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Tinney-I know you weren't around back them but take a look at some history of the E Koots seasons. Did you forget to do that?? :neutral:

SSS

Tinney
03-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Tinney-I know you weren't around back them but take a look at some history of the E Koots seasons. Did you forget to do that?? :neutral:

SSS

Steve, know most of it in my head. The past is the past. You don't manage game based on what was going on in the 80s. At least, my fledgling ideas of proper game management doesn't. Sure, know what happened, but apply it to current situations and determine of its feasible.

BCrams
03-10-2008, 06:03 PM
At least, my fledgling ideas of proper game management doesn't.

I think some of us would really like to hear your ideas of proper game management! You just might find yourself with a lot of supporters.

Tinney
03-10-2008, 07:10 PM
No, there'd be one critic, you. And like the pied piper you are, you'd suck em all in again.

Tinney
03-10-2008, 07:20 PM
No need. I'm a fish guy. I moonlight as a hunter

hunter1947
03-11-2008, 04:46 AM
Very good idea RS ,why not ?? http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

GoatGuy
03-11-2008, 05:07 AM
Steve, know most of it in my head. The past is the past. You don't manage game based on what was going on in the 80s. At least, my fledgling ideas of proper game management doesn't. Sure, know what happened, but apply it to current situations and determine of its feasible.

Elk have not been included in the changes in management since the 80s. The only significant change was moose in the early 80s, grizz in the late 90s because it was induced by public pressure, goats (known since the 60s really) and sheep to an extent, depending on species. Caribou management was defined in the late 70s and nobody followed up on it and they're now falling through the cracks.

So far as elk go suffice to say it isn't like a slot limit on fish. You're either basing assumptions on your gut or trying to justify your position based on fisheries management, neither of which apply to elk management.

Start reading. There are plenty of profs and grad students (masters, not undergrads) who have a pile of knowledge on elk management. Get in touch with them and bring an informed opinion to the discussion. I'm certain you're capable of much more - you're not bringing out the best given the university.

kutenay
03-11-2008, 06:20 AM
I think that the term ...fledgling ideas...is what the real problem is here and it is one that shows up on 'net gun-hunting forums quite often.

The management precepts for various resources in B.C. are NOT set by biologists-foresters alone, they must respond to various external forces and public demand for resource use is a major factor here.

A ...grad student...( who is, by definition, not an undergrad, btw) MAY or MAY NOT have a great deal of real knowledge on any aspect of wildlife management. It takes a lot of field experience to meld the theoretical learning of the classroom with the oftimes harsh realities of the field.

I seriously doubt that ANYONE here is interested in a ...shootemup... Elk season and although I live in Vancouver, I was BORN in Region 4 and no kid who is attending university is going to tell me where I can hunt. I get REAL tired of this crap about who can hunt where, especially when it comes from some American immigrant who came here a few years ago, as I have experienced while Elk hunting at home in Region 4.

sealevel
03-11-2008, 07:01 AM
Kooteney you are crusty as usual this morning . I like it when you tell it like it is.:razz: