PDA

View Full Version : Game in the Lower Mainland

oddsix
03-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Hey just wondering what kind of game you guys have seen around town. So far i have seen 9 yotes and 2 deer in Richmond. And 4 deer in Abby.

kishman
03-09-2008, 03:39 PM
I drive in from Abby. to Delta every day and see Deer all the time in the fields along 16th ave. Coyotes are a pretty regular sight, as are Possums and 'coons. Also more Crows than I've ever seen in one place at one time, sky's just black with them.

hillclimber
03-09-2008, 03:40 PM
seen a few deer down 6 rd in richmond and a few yotes

bsa30-06
03-09-2008, 03:44 PM
saw a couple very healthy yotes up around UBC last week.

Kechika
03-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Coyotes Foxes Deer and Bear

oddsix
03-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Coyotes Foxes Deer and Bear

bear eh? where abouts?

chris
03-09-2008, 03:50 PM
Lots of deer in aldergrove. Used to have a tree farm and every year we would end up with a bunch of rubbed up tree's. I've seen a couple of 4 points during the day but for the most part either see them at the crack of dawn or right as its getting dark. I have a friend who lives down by the border and claims that he has a 5 point who regularily shows up in the fields. I had a doe in my backyard a couple weeks ago. Got to take some pictures of her and she wasnt even scared. So my opinion is that we have lots of urban deer.

Kechika
03-09-2008, 03:50 PM
bear eh? where abouts?

Burns Bog,The corner of 192nd and 96th,The Old Dumpsite beside the Port Mann brigde and Derby Reach Park

Wolfman
03-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Coyotes @ University Endowment lands/ Musqueam lands

Wolfman

oddsix
03-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Buntzen Lake, Anmore, Belcarra area-lots of deer,some bear & cougar. Coyotes have moved into Van . See them "everywhere"(mostly at night) Reason I carry BEAR SPRAY with when walking in the evenings!

Haha, i know many people cary spray but im pretty sure you are the only one who carries it for a good reason.

Steeleco
03-09-2008, 04:52 PM
A friend of mine has seen bears on the hill to SFU. When we frequented Tyne head park 96th and 164th we used to see bear scat on the trails all the time.

Now we use the Houston trial (Derby reach) there's bear warning signs up all the time in the fall. The amount of blacktails walking the cranberry bog near by is unreal. And they know they're off limits :redface::redface:

bsa30-06
03-09-2008, 07:27 PM
A friend of mine has seen bears on the hill to SFU. When we frequented Tyne head park 96th and 164th we used to see bear scat on the trails all the time.

Now we use the Houston trial (Derby reach) there's bear warning signs up all the time in the fall. The amount of blacktails walking the cranberry bog near by is unreal. And they know they're off limits :redface::redface:

There you go talking about those mythical blacktail creatures, that only exsist in fairy tales.:lol::lol:

huntwriter
03-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Here in Maple Ridge it is common to see blacktail deer walking on the roadside like livestock. Coyotes howl every night just a few meters from the house down in ravine. The now flodded cow pastures are overcrowded with waterfowl of all types, shapes and sizes. Oh yes…we see quite often black bears within the city limits, there even have been reports that some bears have been seen in the town center. Crows, raccoons, possums and squires abound right in our garden.

rock
03-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Bobcat, Bear, Deer, couger,coyotes, a few we see around from time to time, helps when you live with bush around you,

rock
03-09-2008, 07:55 PM
There you go talking about those mythical blacktail creatures, that only exsist in fairy tales.:lol::lol:

There not fairy tails they do exist, you just have to look

bsa30-06
03-09-2008, 07:59 PM
There not fairy tails they do exist, you just have to look

I knew those comments would get a response from somebody.Rock you would know best that they do exsist.

rock
03-09-2008, 08:01 PM
you bet there's more out there then people realize

pupper
03-09-2008, 08:03 PM
just coyotes, I never see deer in the lower mainland until spring.

mud-dog27
03-09-2008, 08:23 PM
probly seen bout 10 deer in the last month on my way to work in the morning from corner of robertson cres. and 264th all the way down to bout 240th 1 looked to be a spiker and another a 2 possible 3 point and theres a couple good lookin bald eagles around too also
had a buddy take a nice 3x4 with a bow on his farm out here this past season

oddsix
03-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Saw another yote in Abby today on the side of the highway.

tikkat3
03-10-2008, 10:16 AM
I saw a 4pt at dusk in aldergrove in a field near 272nd and 60th.

I live in mission, and have seen a lot of tracks of deer on some hiking trails around stave lake and off dewdney near the gun club, saw a big black bear in the gun club parking lot once also lol.

I've never seen a blacktail in the bush or any place that it could be hunted though.

wetcoaster
03-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Just in the lower mainland proper and not including waterfowl or other birds.....

Cougar, bobcat, black bear, fisher, mink, short-tailed weasel, river otter, fox, coyote, raccoon, possum, skunk, beaver, black-tailed deer, eastern cotton-tail, snowshoe hare (just a few weeks back)............................

It helps when it is your job to find em.:lol:

The one place I used to consistantly find herds, and I mean herds of black-tails every fall in the late 90's was along the salmon river in langley when I was surveying it for a project. More black-tails than I have seen in any one place together. They would spend the day in some of the nastier little areas in there in security cover before heading back into the fields at dusk and use it for a migration cooridor along the ALR. Saw so many nice bucks it was unbelievable. Haven't done work in there for some time but imagine it is the same.

Panda
03-10-2008, 12:14 PM
lots of deer on Bowen Island; black bears looking for garbage on the north shore above the highway all the time

dino
03-10-2008, 02:13 PM
lots of cougars in boone county in coquitlam.

Jager-mister?
03-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Just came home from picking up my kids from school and saw 4 Blacktails in a high grass field just up off Dewdney trunk Rd and 240th.

showtimebc
03-10-2008, 04:00 PM
stone sheep, grizzly, and the occasional bison. ususally see them around the corner of robson and howe. they blend in with the crowd, so keep your eyes peeled!

oddsix
03-10-2008, 04:02 PM
stone sheep, grizzly, and the occasional bison. ususally see them around the corner of robson and howe. they blend in with the crowd, so keep your eyes peeled!

haha once you snap some photo's i'll believe you;-)

steelheadSABO
03-10-2008, 04:07 PM
black bear

showtimebc
03-10-2008, 04:11 PM
haha once you snap some photo's i'll believe you;-)

here ya go....

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/6398/busystreet1024gog4.jpg

oddsix
03-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Damn, ill be keeping my eyes peeled:)

TIKA 300
03-10-2008, 06:04 PM
here ya go....

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/6398/busystreet1024gog4.jpg
THATS the same griz that i wrastled to the ground and shot with my BB gun,how did ya get the pic of him ????????? ALL THEM city folk,and no one to help me wrastle it.............. TK

rock
03-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Just came home from picking up my kids from school and saw 4 Blacktails in a high grass field just up off Dewdney trunk Rd and 240th.
Behind that new power station in dewdney there hanging around there alot, a few good acres for them to roam around in there8-)

rock
03-10-2008, 10:17 PM
I saw a 4pt at dusk in aldergrove in a field near 272nd and 60th.

I live in mission, and have seen a lot of tracks of deer on some hiking trails around stave lake and off dewdney near the gun club, saw a big black bear in the gun club parking lot once also lol.

I've never seen a blacktail in the bush or any place that it could be hunted though.
They like to hang behind the gravel pit there that mountain range runs north from there so they have good cover, be nice to now somebody in the pit:grin:

steve-r
03-10-2008, 10:52 PM
-black bear in my backyard in North Van...he broke my fence
-there are 5-6 blacktails that are local to Northlands Golf course in NorthVan...one of them is a 4-point with a lame hind leg thats been hanging around there for the last 4 years....they browse right beside you with no fear all season and then in Oct/Nov they disappear
-seen cougar tracks in a sand trap at Northlands GC that appeared to be chasing a deer at high speed
-there's a coyote that can be observed at sunup eating family pets in the grassy planted section of the Lynn Valley NVan onramp to Hwy 1 East
-a cougar in WestVan jumped out from a bush, grabbed my buddies $1000 purebred cat right at his wife's feet and then went up a tree, ate it in front of them, and then waited for the CO and WV police to come shoot it, which of course they only wounded it, it came down, and then they had to track it in a public school neighbourhood just as school was letting out...not cool.

270WIN
03-11-2008, 09:55 PM
when i lived in poco i would see bear and deer and yotes up near minikada park i also use to see this guy ever morning on my way to work just past prairie and cedar
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/poco_deer.jpg

sfire436
03-11-2008, 10:03 PM
"cougers in Boone county in COQ" Ha! I have hunted them hard for years and can tell you they are only catch and release. They are very agressive and seem to be rutting all the time. They dont seem to really like the older toms but seem to go for the younger less dominant ones! I like that.

7mmag
03-12-2008, 01:10 AM
Steve-r..I've seen that coyote I think it ate my friends cat!

I chase bears out of my garbage on a regular basis as well as coons, and see deer on my way home a couple times a month. I live next to a federal bird refuge so I get a good verity of wildlife around my place.