PDA

View Full Version : Summer Moose & Elk

trucktoys
03-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Hello: I am new to the Hunting BC website. I first would like to thank Marc for all his help to get me on line. I started hunting 3 years ago. I have done the summer hunt around Pink Mountain area for the last 3 summers. Work does not allow me to do a fall hunt for Moose. Last summer only had a short time and was unable to find anything that was legal and a safe sure shot. I have a question for you guys. What are your thoughts about the Moose and Elk situation. The possible areas I was thinking of hunting for August 15, 2008 Summer Hunt are 7-44, 7-45, 7-58, 7-42, 7-48 7-31. Last year (summer) the hunting seemed poor (7-44) because of winter kill(??) & some areas had been sprayed?? What are your thougths and projections for this summer’s hunt? Do you expect numbers of Bull Moose to be down? What areas do you recommend? Some hunters have suggested mile 178 because it is large area. What are your thoughts? How has this winter been so far for Moose? I have never hunted Elk. What are your thoughts for area 7-58 & 7-42 for the August 15 hunt. Are Elk having the same issues (winter kill, Tick kill) as Moose? I have enjoyed reading what you guys have had to say while I was trying to get online and would love to read your thoughts

hunter1947
03-09-2008, 05:48 AM
First of all welcome to the site.. 178 is one of my old stomping grounds for moose ,it was very good hunting back there in the early seventies. I have heard that it is still good if you are willing to get way back off the main roads. I also have heard that elk populate the area in there as well. there were no elk in there back in the seventies. There also are lots of cariboo in that area as well as for stone sheep. We used to head into the head waters of Redfern lake ,the lake is about 60 miles from the 178 turn off. The region is 7-42.

trucktoys
03-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Any thoughts about the 2006 winter kill? Do you think you will have to work hard to find anything or should the area be left for a while for the numbers to come back? If yes how long would you wait until you tried the area again?

hunter1947
03-10-2008, 05:24 AM
The areas up north never had the bad winter we experienced down hear in 1996. I would go into that region at the drop of a hat at anytime ,you should have at least 2 quads with winches and a small trailer for extra gas and your supplies. You can drive in about 10 miles with the trucks befor you have to quad in. Take snow chains in case you need them.