Ultra Mag
03-08-2008, 04:37 PM
When does the rut generally peak in EK?

greybark
03-08-2008, 07:31 PM
:smile: About ten days into any hunt. :smile:

humble hunter
03-08-2008, 07:39 PM
With the implement of a 3 pt and greater season, I hear the rut has been officially cancelled!

03-08-2008, 11:42 PM
When does the rut generally peak in EK?

First cycle in early Sept, second cycle in early Oct.

hunter1947
03-09-2008, 05:19 AM
I have found that the rut peaks about the third week of Sept in the EK.

J_T
03-09-2008, 08:02 AM
I think most that spend time there would suggest the 22nd of Sept (+ or - ) is the middle and most frantic moment.

BlacktailStalker
03-09-2008, 08:18 AM
Yeah around 20th of Sept but the first week of October is no waste of time either :grin:

hunter1947
03-09-2008, 08:54 AM
I think most that spend time there would suggest the 22nd of Sept (+ or - ) is the middle and most frantic moment.The last week of Sept has been the best in all years hunting there magnificent animals for me anyway.

Ultra Mag
03-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Gonna be there 20-29th of September,hunting with Rick White of Sawtooth Outfitters.This is gonna be my first elk hunt and I can't describe to you all the increase in anticapation each passing day brings.Getting ready has been fun,but I can't imagine what it's gonna be like to hear that first bugle.I would appreciateany and all advice you guys can give me,by the way anybody have any experience with this outfitter?

Vader
03-09-2008, 06:23 PM
19th to 25th of Sept.. and mini ruts in Oct near the 3rd to 5th and again near the 10th-13th... last only a couple of days. These can sometime be hotter than the Sept rut..... Least they have been for me..

mark4
03-10-2008, 07:16 AM
You're definitely gonna hear lot's of bugling- This is one exciting hunt to say the least. Be extremely careful to count SIX POINTS - because there are HUNDREDS of five point bulls running around- Many of them have HUGE racks !!!

Ultra Mag
03-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Thanks fellas for your input,time September gets here my neck and nads gonna be swoleup and I can already feel them hormones pumpin.

OceanMon
05-04-2018, 08:55 AM
Did you get one?

Bag1
05-04-2018, 07:53 PM
10 year old thread

jaridwarren
05-08-2018, 11:45 AM
Has the anticipation been killing you? :p

Bugle M In
05-08-2018, 01:34 PM
seems like it always happens on the day I am "packing up"
Much more success when you can extend those trips from 1week to 2 weeks...imo.
Takes a while to figure out where they are hanging around at times.
Hunted a honey hole continuously for a week, on and off (more on then off), and nothing,
right until the last evening!
Amazing how there can be nothing, and then suddenly they are there!!??

As for the rut, if you mean "breeding", hard for me to say, some will say last week of Sept.
BUT, I have seen them already bugling in late August, as well as already "haremed up" at that time.
I think in some places, they state that the 1st cycle is actually late August??
As for success, some state the 1st week of season, especially the bow season, if you ask the "local butcher shops" in
the area/towns.

Just like Moose...everyone has to hunt them in October (generally), but I see them already responding to calls in
September (last week or so), or hounding cows relentlessly.

j270wsm
05-08-2018, 08:22 PM
Seen Bulls bugling and chasing cows the first few days of September and had a bull screaming and coming in to a cow call on oct 20th. Every bull is different but I find the third week of sept is a safe bet.

HarryToolips
05-08-2018, 09:07 PM
seems like it always happens on the day I am "packing up"
Much more success when you can extend those trips from 1week to 2 weeks...imo.
Takes a while to figure out where they are hanging around at times.
Hunted a honey hole continuously for a week, on and off (more on then off), and nothing,
right until the last evening!
Amazing how there can be nothing, and then suddenly they are there!!??

As for the rut, if you mean "breeding", hard for me to say, some will say last week of Sept.
BUT, I have seen them already bugling in late August, as well as already "haremed up" at that time.
I think in some places, they state that the 1st cycle is actually late August??
As for success, some state the 1st week of season, especially the bow season, if you ask the "local butcher shops" in
the area/towns.

Just like Moose...everyone has to hunt them in October (generally), but I see them already responding to calls in
September (last week or so), or hounding cows relentlessly.
I was surprised a few years ago when I got a bugle response on Aug 1st when practicing ou tin the back country, and no, it wasn't another hunter...it was an instantaneous response with no one around...

J_T
05-09-2018, 05:09 AM
Not unusual to have elk bugling in August. Ranchers around here will tell you most bugling they hear is in early November. Calling/communicating is a bit different than rutting.