PDA

View Full Version : LEH luck.....

Leaseman
03-06-2008, 09:17 PM
I have entered into LEH's with odds of 1.8 to 300.1..... average of 6 a year feom moose to deer to buff etc.....

My lat regular dreaw was for my moose (bull) in 7-11 in 1996.... nothing since.... as a rule, how do you fair..... better, worse or the same????

moosinaround
03-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Not very often!!

Dannybuoy
03-06-2008, 09:34 PM
I started entering the moose LEH 5 years ago with a couple of friends and we have been successful twice ( the 1st and 4th) I have put in for doe (figured there was too many and might be better eating than a little buck) and elk the past 2 years and no draw yet
Dan

mark
03-06-2008, 10:08 PM
I pulled a bison tag in 96. That was the only high odds draw I ever got, Have had some of the low odds draws since then though!

mooseless
03-06-2008, 10:22 PM
I yanked a Bison tag in 05, first time apllying for it!
Out of our group of 5 we have not been able to get a moose draw for 6 years now.

It seems like the last 6 years out of 5 of us we have not had much success. I am ready to not apply anymore.

Elk-Aholic
03-06-2008, 11:07 PM
I have entered into LEH's with odds of 1.8 to 300.1..... average of 6 a year feom moose to deer to buff etc.....

My lat regular dreaw was for my moose (bull) in 7-11 in 1996.... nothing since.... as a rule, how do you fair..... better, worse or the same????

There is someone else out there with the same luck as me!!!! Been applying since 1995 and still yet to be drawn. 5-6 tags a year, some 50+ to 1 odds, but most of them in the 3:1 - 20:1 range. I applied for a 0.5:1 odds and still didn't get drawn. Still waiting for the successful fall hunt.

Brambles
03-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Got a moose draw once, goat a few times, couple doe draws and thats about all, oh I did get a fall grizz up north one year but couldn't make it.

Fisher-Dude
03-06-2008, 11:55 PM
I've had one moose draw in 30 years. I've never had a doe draw at approx 4:1 odds. But I did get a W Kootenay elk draw at 109:1. :?

Everything should be on GOS. LEH sucks. :tongue:

GoatGuy
03-06-2008, 11:58 PM
There is someone else out there with the same luck as me!!!! Been applying since 1995 and still yet to be drawn. 5-6 tags a year, some 50+ to 1 odds, but most of them in the 3:1 - 20:1 range. I applied for a 0.5:1 odds and still didn't get drawn. Still waiting for the successful fall hunt.

Spring grizz doesn't count?????:lol:

porcupine
03-07-2008, 12:16 AM
I've had good success with moose (4 for 7), but zero for 24 with sheep, zero for 25 with Island elk, zero for 18 with mountain goat, and zero for however many fallow deer years there were. One year in the mountain goat draw, there were 5 draws available and only 6 people applied. I was the one who got the skunk,the others went to people I know who've had multiple draws for goat in that region.
________
buy extreme q vaporizer (http://www.vaporshop.com/extreme-q-vaporizer.html)

hunter1947
03-07-2008, 05:16 AM
Not to bad ,I get picked for something about every third year ,maybe it is something to do with the black INK pen I use ????.:roll:.

rocksteady
03-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Back in 93 I think it was, I basically won the friggin LEH lottery, put in for 6 draws, got 5....

Mulie DOe
Whitey Doe
Spring Grizz
Moose
Antlerless Elk

BUT DID NOT GET Turkey.....Dang....

That was back in the day when if you had a tag you could take an elk or a moose in Region 4, not both, and all turkey was LEH....

Did not have to use them though....

2nd day of the season, spike whitey

4th day of the season 4 point muley...

Sat around til Oct. 25th when my moose opened, 2 point bull on Halloween

Got my grizz on day 13 of a 14 day solo hunt in the West Koots. Plus a beauty of a blackie for my inlaws (rug)

Since then, had decent luck,, but not lately...Had a goat tag for a couple of the past years, but have got both deer and an elk, so really did not need the meat, plus have had a bad shoulder, so goats were kindof out of the question....Where I hunt them its about a 4 km back pack trek to base camp...

Sitkaspruce
03-07-2008, 09:30 AM
I have been very lucky for LEH. When I moved to the Fort, I started applying for moose. Since then I have been 9 for 13 on moose. I am 1 for 26 on Island elk, 1-2 on goat, 1-3 on grizz, 2-4 on mulie doe and 0-15 on sheep. So over all, not bad with LEH. There was a lot of years whn I just put in for VI elk, sheep and nothing else.

Oh yea and just an observation, and I believe it has nothing to do with it, but I seem to get at least one draw everytime I send in my hunter questionaire. And use black ink:mrgreen::biggrin::-D:wink:

SS

tomahawk
03-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Had a stretch in the late 80's and early 90's where I could hardly miss for moose. I remember some years that the 3 of us had 3 draws. But about 94 the well dried up for moose. Have had 2 draws since then. But have done well for Rosie's and Bison in the last 10 yrs. I have had 1 VI bull elk and 2 bison draws and my partner has had 2 Rosie draws and 1 bison. They are both about 100 to 1 odds.

Kody94
03-07-2008, 11:15 AM
I put in for about 6 or 7 draws per year...up to 8 back in the days when Turkey was on LEH in Reg 4.

My success has been pretty low. I am going to have to guesstimate the numbers, but these should be pretty close.

1991 - cow/calf elk
1992 - whitey doe
1994 - moose (killed first elk that year, couldn't use moose tag)
1995 - goat
1999 - goat
2000 - bison, fall grizz up north, goat (a luck year!)
2004 - muley doe

So, I think my success rates are about:

1 for 17 on elk (mostly put in for WK bull, only got the one cow/calf draw)

0 for 17 on sheep

0 for 8 on Turkey

1 for 12 on Bison

1 for 22 on grizzly

1 for 17 on moose

4 for 15 on goat

2 or 3 for 20 on deer

All in all, pretty dismal. I still can't believe BC hasn't adopted a points system, or the like, to ensure that your odds get progressively better every year since you last drew that tag.

Nooker77
03-07-2008, 01:19 PM
:?The points system is the way to go....we always put in for the same draws...well almost always...Between wifey and the "outlaws" we put in around 4 or 5 each..usually get one outta the 4 of us! I got Moose and spring Grizz this year..ending a 5 year drought for me...wifey got cow elk in kootneys and mother in law got cow draw last year...had a few Kootney goat draws... but still lookin for a big billy! Dont put in for Wt as I bow hunt alot and can fill my tag in a night or two at the farm with the bow and stick! I know a few guys that get the same big odds moose draw almost every year...they say you have 50% less chance but I think thats BS as I have put in for the same draws and never got a sniff!! Cant complain though...oh ya funny thing...I USED a BLACK SHARPIE FOR MY LEH's....lmao

Everett
03-07-2008, 05:07 PM
It looks like I have been doing pretty good comparing my luck to some of yours. In five years of entering the LEH I have island Elk once, moose three times, goat twice, antlerless mule deer once and antlerless whitetail twice. Still waiting for that ashanola sheep draw though

BCrams
03-07-2008, 05:14 PM
How many times does it need to be relayed on here the points system will not work for BC and in fact will make things worse than they already are.

Dannybuoy
03-07-2008, 06:25 PM
How many times does it need to be relayed on here the points system will not work for BC and in fact will make things worse than they already are.
I give ! How many times ? :shock::smile:

Jager-mister?
03-08-2008, 11:42 PM
5 years 1 doe draw :frown: The L.E.H. system just has not been kind to me.(must be the color of my pen...according to the experienced on the site:wink:)
Still have things crossed from last year in hopes for this year...parts are getting pretty numb :smile:.

Nalidixic
03-09-2008, 09:29 AM

Well, making a strong statement like that maybe you could explain abit?

bsa30-06
03-09-2008, 09:38 AM
I have had about 2 draws in about 5 years.....could be worse i suppose, but could also be better.

porcupine
03-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Points systems seem to be effective elsewhere, don't know why it would be different here?
________
Honda CB500T specifications (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_CB500T)

Sitkaspruce
03-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Well, making a strong statement like that maybe you could explain abit?

Do a search on here and you will find all that you need to know about the pluses and minuses of LEH, Point systems and hunting in BC. Tons of info out there, if you will just use the search button:shock:.

SS

TIKA 300
03-09-2008, 09:28 PM
1 whitey doe,2 mulie does,and 3 moose in 10 years applying .............. :-D 8)

MOWITCH SLAYER
03-10-2008, 08:23 AM
I have found that LEH on moose and elk are more successful if you enter as a group or shared hunt. i hunt in a group of four, we don't get one every year , but we have had some asome hunts , also you have to be willing to do some traveling by applying for the low odds hunts . if you are going to apply for your back yard each year your not going to be happy

ratherbefishin
03-10-2008, 08:45 AM
I put in for low odds moose areas-but have only been successful twice in about 12 years-even when switching to a ''group hunt''.Its not too bad for locals who can get out everyweekend for an open ''immature''-but when you only have a week or 10 days-its tough.Last year I didn;t go.I seriously wonder about the process-surely there could be a better system-even guaranteeing a moose[bull or cow] draw every 3 years for a group for some areas[other than going way north to the Yukon border where they still have ''any bull'']?I also wonder-are the moose populations really in that bad a shape that they have to be so restrictive?-hunter numbers are about half what they were when we had open seasons.

browningboy
03-10-2008, 10:08 AM
I put in for odd .5 to 1 and still don't get em! WTF! I never get them but I know of a guy that gets a MINIMUM of 1 a year, how do you eplain that!LOL