PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite?

oddsix
03-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Out of all the Moose,Elk,Deer,Bear,Bison etc. What is your favourite animal to hunt?? So far i prefer deer the most.

Leaseman
03-06-2008, 08:57 PM
First big game animal was moose.... all my life we have hunted moose or deer (why do deer seem soooo small???)

Moose still fav.... but would like to try elk and caribou......:wink:

oddsix
03-06-2008, 09:00 PM
haha yeah those deer are nothing compared to the moose.

Yeah i would really like to try some caribou one day

Steeleco
03-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Bears hands down!! They're all exciting but bears have the potential to fight back!!

Leaseman
03-06-2008, 09:06 PM
David....
I have shot 3 bears total.....all 3 wounded by someone else that couldn't finish the job..... still have nightmares about 2 of them.....:roll:....both in a grown corn field with the bears circling around......:(

oddsix
03-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Never hunted bears before. Do they taste good?

todbartell
03-06-2008, 09:12 PM
I would say elk

Archer
03-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Bears, for sure. I've got full-blown bear fever. Most times I get funny looks in the fall when other hunters find out I'm after bears during deer season.

Steeleco
03-06-2008, 09:22 PM
David....
I have shot 3 bears total.....all 3 wounded by someone else that couldn't finish the job..... still have nightmares about 2 of them.....:roll:....both in a grown corn field with the bears circling around......:(

I recall you telling me that, that's too bad. Too many folks don't always practice enough???

Bears, for sure. I've got full-blown bear fever. Most times I get funny looks in the fall when other hunters find out I'm after bears during deer season.

Ask them why they're hunting deer in BEAR season??? :smile:

killman
03-06-2008, 09:22 PM
I would have to say deer. I think because I prefer the type of more open country I tend to hunt them in. Never really hunted bear. More of just a nuisance to me.

oddsix
03-06-2008, 09:23 PM
wow lots of you guys like bears. gona have to try some time. where do you guys usually go? to the island?

gone hunting
03-06-2008, 09:23 PM
I've just been sitting here trying to decide and I really thinks it's whatever I'm hunting at the time. As far a taste; elk, bison, moose, in that order. Oh ya, lobster's good too.

stickbow
03-06-2008, 09:51 PM
I'd have to say a rutted up bull moose 20yds away with my recuve in my hand and a heavy ash arrow on the string

mainland hunter
03-06-2008, 09:54 PM
I'll vote sheep, Only hunted them once and didnt take one but the country you get to hunt is second to none

Deerwhacker
03-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Hands down its bowhunting elk.

browningboy
03-06-2008, 09:56 PM
grouse, easy to clean and get back to camp.8-)

model88
03-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Without a doubt, elk!!!

mark
03-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Hands down its bowhunting elk.

Elk for sure!!!! If you dont agree, youve probably never bugled in a screaming raging bull within 10 feet! Once you do, youll agree! Everything else is boring in comparison! I spend 2 weeks every year just hunting elk, even if I get one, Id still rather bugle in elk than hunt for a moose!

frenchbar
03-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Muleys for me.

Brambles
03-06-2008, 10:09 PM
I like hunting moose, elk, deer, turkeys, bears, goats and sheep. I'm a hunter and therefore I can't pick just one.

BCbillies
03-06-2008, 11:14 PM
If it don't bite back or put me on the edge of a cliff I ain't interested! It's a tossup between grizz, goat and sheep. It's a bad year when I have to miss a season on any one of the three! Unfortunately the odd year none of the boys pull a grizz LEH so we have to settle for a blackie. :sad:

Canuck2
03-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Obviously not BC game, but pronghorn hunting is a blast. I been to Wyoming and Montana 4 times and will be going again this year. Next after that, for me, is moose and on down the line.

There's numerous opinions already posted and that just goes to show that each species has its own attraction. They all have something unique that makes it fun to hunt any one of them.

bigwhiteys
03-06-2008, 11:37 PM
I would say sheep hunting is what get's me the most excited and I work and plan the hardest for those hunts... Black Bear hunting on the island is a blast as it's always non-stop action which is good for new hunters or introducing someone to it.

Carl

porcupine
03-07-2008, 12:22 AM
Sheep hunting is the pinnalce in my opinion. Only did it once and it only took 4 weeks to get the body to recover. May never do it again but I'll dream of sheep forever.

BCrams
03-07-2008, 12:26 AM
Stone's sheep with hunting big muleys running almost a tie for first.

gitnadoix
03-07-2008, 12:31 AM
Elk. When ya can get them screaming at ya from several km away, and slowly over what can seem like hours they start closing the distance to ya, and then about 50 yards out in thick brush they go silent, ya just know they are putting the sneak on ya....so its a major amount of "any second now time"......with nock on string and yer wishing yer dang heart would just shut up so you can hear the grass parting in the pines.........I'm done....I feel so sleepy

mpotzold
03-07-2008, 12:41 AM
MOOSE!-1 animal fills the freezer.Shot in late Aug to mid Sept nothing beats the taste(IMO)

TSW
03-07-2008, 01:35 AM
Nothing gets the adrenaline going like a good close quarters grizzly hunt. Although I shot my first mulie this fall and I can see myself getting addicted to that right away!

hunter1947
03-07-2008, 05:01 AM
Elk ,ELK ,ELK and more elk ,I wish I could live with them and travel the mountains with them ,they are a beautiful animal ,I live to hunt RME.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

Deaddog
03-07-2008, 07:44 AM
I would have to say sheep hunting and elk hunting are pretty much tied.. the country you get into and the difficulty of sheep hunting is unforgettable, that said,a screaming bull elk .. or better yet a bunch of them,.... well it is a tossup for me.. For me, moose, deer,bear and caribou are OK. Goat is extremly challenging but doesn't get me to fired up.DD

Bow Walker
03-07-2008, 10:14 AM
I've got a Dream Hunt, and it involves packing in on horses and hunting from a camp. The game? Primarily elk, then deer, and maybe a bear - all with archery tackle.

Sitkaspruce
03-07-2008, 10:15 AM
For heart pumping, adreniline rushing, mouth drying hunt, it is a big bull moose coming to the call and nothing, I mean nothing, is going to stop him from getting to his girlfriend. That is a rush hunt.

But for me, timber hunting big mulies or blacktails is my fav, then moose, then goats, then sheep, then elk. Bears just have never done it for me, even bow hunting them, but then I have never bowhunted grizz before, so who knows.

SS

dana
03-07-2008, 10:27 AM
There is no doubt that I'm addicted to Trophy Muleys. Nothing like going head to head with a monster buck on his home turf be it spot and stalk above treeline or the upclose and personal of the thick timber.

rocksteady
03-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Elk, no comparisons as far as an interactive hunt.....

Bugles/grunts/cow calls/calf calls......AWESOME !!!!

Coyotes come ina very close 2nd...

tomahawk
03-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Love to hunt muley's but its hard to beat calling for moose, elk or deer, especially moose and elk and then stickin em with an arrow inside of 20 yards!

TIKKA TIGER
03-07-2008, 10:39 AM
For me... Elk is pretty hard to top... Nothing quite like a screamin' ragin' bull elk comin' in tearin' up the brush and wantin' to kick some a__! I get goose bumps and the hair stands up on the back of my neck everytime. Can't get tired of that kind of stuff. :smile:

gone hunting
03-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Anyone know anything about genetic engineering? If we could get a sheep that bugles and bites, then we could hunt it with a bow.

hillclimber
03-07-2008, 01:22 PM
only hunted deer but i think its time to move on and shoot some other animals:-P

srupp
03-07-2008, 01:59 PM
hmmmmm... sheeeeeesh..hmmmmmm

Man thats a hard one..flippent answer the one Im currently hunting.

BEARS.. are special in that they can fight back and come armed with teeth and claws..are hunted in the spring when no other big game animals is open

DEER.. are special because they have one of the widest seasons and distribution..you can hunt up in the craggs like Dana or along the river bottoms and breaks..

MOOSE.. are special because they can be called in and that may take moments or hours..they may charge in or sneak in downwind..they are huge and demand different tactics to dismember and pack..however they provide great eats.

ELK..never ever hunted them.

SHEEP...The high lofty peaks, the majesty of the mountains..the days of glassing and the thrill in finding the challenge in estimating age and horn length legal or not..knowing there must be cranker in every region that has hidden and escaped years of searching by those that went before me..and then trying to do whats others have not..or I have yet to do..
This also includes testing your courage your stamina , your strength, your equipment..your patience,your skill, your judgement and your INTELLIGENCE.....awww yes its THE SHEEP

I AM A SHEEP HUNTER..hmm hmm hmm....:redface: sowy

steven

BCJunior
03-07-2008, 03:44 PM
iv hunted deer,moose,elk and my favorite one is deer by far.easiest moose and sweetest elk.

Tikka7mm
03-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Well...I've hunted bears, Elk and Deer (blacktails and Whiteys). I'd have to say that I enjoy hunting deer the most. I've been told that Elk hunting is the ultimate rush. I tried it this past season and it wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be. Probably because the group I was with had no luck...we couldn't get em to start talking. Maybe next time. We'll see what bear season has in store for me this season...could be interesting.

oddsix
03-07-2008, 04:47 PM
looks like im gona have to try some elk hunting soon

steveo32
03-07-2008, 05:17 PM
I have bugled in elk to 10 yards and less but my biggest rush is muley hunting in the rut!

pupper
03-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Spring Bear always is fun

MOWITCH SLAYER
03-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Every year i buy black bear, moose , elk, whitetail , 2 mulie , cougar , and a bob cat tag . I love them all , but BIG mulie is the best with elk right beside them, It's where you hunt them that counts, on the top where it is the same as it was from the beginning of time

oddsix
03-07-2008, 07:24 PM
have you ever filed all of those tags in one year mowitch?

livingston
03-07-2008, 07:42 PM
I feel that any day hunting is better than working no matter what I am hunting for.

That being said, I can't wait for next years stone sheep hunt.Its such beautiful country there's so much game running around there is always something to look at. Plus it is a real challenge for the body and mind.

Last year on our way home from our sheep hunt we got to get out and try for an elk. I can see how elk hunting would be addictive as well, big bulls bugling and bellowing at you, and cows running all over it was awesome!!

Our little island blacktail are a real challenge as well that I enjoy. Getting soaked to the ass wading through salal up to your chest only to get a glimpse of horn bounding away is so frustrating but I can't wait for next season:D

Frango
03-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Without a doubt, elk!!!

Ditto.By a long shot.Once you have had a 5x5,6x6 or bigger yelling in your ear at 30 yards?a deer seems rather tame.Moose can be fun but man! elk are something special.

kloosterboer
03-07-2008, 08:39 PM
I've only hunted Deer and grouse but i REALLY want to go Elk hunting!!!!

kennyj
03-07-2008, 08:50 PM
I love what ever I'm going after at the time.I love hunting for a huge moose or caribou.I love going after goats and can't wait to go sheep hunting again.I love blacktails,but i think hunting for a wopper mulie would be my #1 choice.

tufferthandug
03-07-2008, 09:07 PM
I have bugled in elk to 10 yards and less but my biggest rush is muley hunting in the rut!

Same here. Elk definitely get your heart beating when they let out a bugle. It's just big muley bucks have something that invokes a passion to hunt them season after season.

oddsix
03-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Same here. Elk definitely get your heart beating when they let out a bugle. It's just big muley bucks have something that invokes a passion to hunt them season after season.

I dont think i could go one seasons without hunting mulie. Even if i wouldn't get anything just being out there is awesome

7mmag
03-08-2008, 03:04 AM
Is anyone else reading this and thinking holey F----! are we lucky to live in BC?

If I had to pick one type of game to hunt and forsake all others I would pick ELK without hesitation.

I'm so glad I don't have to pick!!:grin::grin::grin:

MOWITCH SLAYER
03-08-2008, 07:44 AM
no , but it's about the hunt for me, i get 7 weeks payed holidays each year and i hunt them all. last year i got my elk, 4pt. mulie and a 5x6 whitetail and a nice boar black bear , only crossed one cat track all winter

asurebet
03-08-2008, 12:35 PM
hunting for the monster Elk is the ultimate rush, Just so much fun, can't wait until this Oct. I hear bugling in my ears as i type!

huntwriter
03-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Hands down whitetail deer and turkeys.

Mr. Dean
03-10-2008, 01:18 AM
The only "big game" that I've ever hunted, has been Mule Deer and Black Bear. I once committed a couple of days pursuing a fork Moose, but can't really count that as a hunt; it wasn't planned. It was an opprotunity presented, while out Muley hunting one time.

Of the two, its a coin-toss at best. The Bears wind me up with anticipation because of the long winter blues. And my Mule Deer hunts crank me up also, because I know once its over... Its a looong time come spring again.

I'd hedge my choice to the Blackies. But I do get fired up just being able to hunt Crows and Squirrels, out in the back yard. I'll have to go along with others; all my hunts offer something different and unique. To favour one over another is TOUGH.

But I'm also a guy trapped within the city, with limited experience. A person that lives and breathes in the 'hills', may very well have an easier time answering/picking a favorite, that I could understand. But being the city dweller that I is, I just look forward to the time that I can spend actively pursuing, one AWESOME of a time, out in them there 'hills'.

ibehuntin
03-10-2008, 10:20 AM
Mountain mulies first then any open second.:p

bcmulie
03-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Often my favourite is just the animal I happen to be pursuing at any given time. If I had to pick one, though, then it would be muleys - so many ways to hunt them, so some many different types of cover and terrain, and such a beautiful animal. Stone's sheep would be a close second, although I also love hunting blacktails in the alpine, and calling in moose in the rut - or spring turkeys, and a northern BC caribou hunt when the colour is on is hard to beat, oh, and can't forget Roosevelt's elk on Vancouver Island, and...you get the idea.

bcmulie

trail blazer
03-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Stone sheep is first, wish I could get up there every year. When I don't get sheep hunting then it's hunting mulies in the alpine which isn't a bad second choice. Never tried elk but it sounds very interesting.

Bowzone_Mikey
03-10-2008, 05:28 PM
nothing beats bowhunting elk in the rut

tomahawk
03-10-2008, 05:33 PM
nothing beats bowhunting elk in the rut

I dunno, moose callin in full rut with a bow is pretty rank. I have had the good fortune of being able to do that many times and been up close and personal with several ragin bulls.

Bow Walker
03-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Any larger animal, be it Elk, Moose, Deer, Bear (or in Mr. Dean's case - huge, ravenous Squirrels :shock: :tongue:) in the rut can be a huge rush to hunt - with archery tackle - simply because you need to be up close and very personal to make a clean, ethical kill.

I'm not taking anything away from anyone's post(s), but I'm just stating that with archery tackle it is a whole different ball game. :wink:

30-06
03-10-2008, 05:57 PM
in order from best-worst.
moose,elk,deer,bear. never hunting caribou before

CanuckShooter
03-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Elk...nothing like a raging..bugling bull elk to get the adrenal glands working.

ThinAir
03-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Goats and sheep live in the most beautiful country in the world.:-) I guess I'd go with them, although there are a few close seconds.