PDA

View Full Version : Tree Stand

rollingrock
03-06-2008, 02:20 PM
:-P This hole never ends....now I'm thinking to get a tree stand that I can carry by myself, is easy to set up and reliable. I don't want something fancy and costs big $$$. So any recommends?

pupper
03-06-2008, 02:45 PM
I like self climbers, way slicker than screwing in pegs and then climbing up the tree to set up the stand.
here is some info that might help you find what suits you best:
http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/a/Treestands_

rollingrock
03-06-2008, 02:51 PM
That's exactly what I want. I looked up some US sites, and they're for sale fro around 50 USD. Any idea who sells these in Canada or in LM?

pupper
03-06-2008, 03:01 PM
ebay has some good deals,
you can also call wayne at big game archery-604-859-2086
or hub sports 604-859-8316

rollingrock
03-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Cool! Thx Pupper!

greybark
03-06-2008, 11:41 PM
:eek: Hey Rollingrock , I think you should reconsider the idea of parking your butt 15-18 ft in the air on a climbing treestand that costs $50 usd .
:wink: Buy a treestand but be able to look at and handle the various brands and models available . Check out the user reports on net and the actual user themselves .
Cheers

Walksalot
03-07-2008, 07:22 AM
The problem with climbers is they are noisy when climbing the tree. It may depend upon whether you are hunting a migration corridor or a scrape line as to the choice of tree stands. If hunting a scrape line the buck my be in the vicinity and to be able to sneak into your tree stand without making much noise is a plus.
A hung tree stand and climbing stix is a very good way to hunt. The climbing stix go up in four foot sections and can be set in place in very short order.

Bowzone_Mikey
03-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Climbers are pretty much useless unless you are putting the stand on a telephone pole ...and quiet honestly I would think twice about buying the cheapest in town ....think about it ...would you buy a fall arrest harness from the dollar store???

I have a couple of these
Ameristep hang ons

I can get em for ya for under 75 bucks ...
good for 300 pounds ..
18' by 24" platform ...
Lightweight at 16 pounds ..

Bow Walker
03-07-2008, 10:36 AM
It'd be pretty darned difficult trying to hang a stand in the pre-dawn darkness - near impossible, I'd say. :cool:

Then again you'd need a pretty good hand saw to limb the tree as you used your climbing stand too. :???: You just gotta pick the right tree, I guess.

I sure would be thinking twice about hiking in with a stand, finding just the right spot, fighting to get it hung, and then returning the next morning only to find that some S.O.B. had been in there and stolen your butt platform. :mad:

I think I'd prefer to use a climber just at daybreak - cut away the necessary branches, and sit for the balance of the day. Then take my stand home with me at the end of the hunt. Call me crazy, but I'd be plenty upset about having a stand ripped off.

rollingrock
03-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Climbers are pretty much useless unless you are putting the stand on a telephone pole ...and quiet honestly I would think twice about buying the cheapest in town ....think about it ...would you buy a fall arrest harness from the dollar store???

I have a couple of these
Ameristep hang ons

I can get em for ya for under 75 bucks ...
good for 300 pounds ..
18' by 24" platform ...
Lightweight at 16 pounds ..

This is what I was looking at, and I thought it was a climber.:twisted: I'm not trying to go cheap, but just like Dan said I'd be pretty upset if my EXPENSIVE treestand got ripped off. So I'm trying to find a balance here, being cost effective and safe. I was thinking to build my own stand with some 2x4s and plywood, but it's hard to get it done by myself. And my spots are usually pain in the butt to access.

Now here is the question, can the cushion of this stand be flipped when I want to stand up to shoot?

Dirty
03-07-2008, 11:05 AM
I like using the hanging stands and screw in pegs with removable steps. That way you can easily climb the tree each time you arrive without worrying about somebody stealing it. The climbing sticks are good and are maybe a little more environmentally friendly.

bighornbob
03-07-2008, 11:23 AM
I have two of the gorilla hang on stands. Crappy tire and walmart sell them. When they are new they sall for around 100 dollars. At the end of the year when walmart gets rid of their stuff I have seen them for under $50. They are good stands and come with a safety harness.

I like the hang on ones better as have others mentioned with a self climber you basically have to cut off every branch on the tree to the height you want. Ever seen a tree like this in the woods?? You can spot one from hundreds of meters away as you see all the white spots where a branch used to be. So if you hunt where there are others walking by they will surely see your tree. With the hang on, I only cut the branches at the back, so from the trail only a 6 foot area is cleared and it is high enough that even hunters dont see it. I have been in the stand when guys have walked by.

By leaving branches on the front and below your stand, the stand is actually hidden if a deer looks up if you make a noise.

I use the screw in tree steps and get the tree ready at least a week before I plan on sitting in it. 1 to 2 nights before I plan on sitting in it, I come mid day and hang my stand. The chain that holds the stand to the tree gets padlocked to to prevent it from getting stolen. I also remove the bottom 3 steps so somebody cant easily climb the tree. Nothing is fool proof but by leaving enough branches on the tree, using a padlock and removing my bottom steps I am pretty confident my stand will be there when I get back. If it does get ripped off I am only out about 50 bucks.

BHB

The 'Hummer'
03-07-2008, 11:37 AM
When I got mine I planned to use it primarily for archery. What I opted for was the Grand Slam Supreme, model GS 2000MS self climber made by API Outdoors. Excellant! No complaints. Safety harness etc comes with it. It's qiuck and user friendly. Most of the areas where I've used it there are a number of other older trees close by and as such I've found there's only a few branches to remove in most cases. You'd be hard pressed to notice which tree I'm using or have used. If you're using a tree standing alone and well bushed, that may be a different story.

Wolfman
03-07-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm surprised tree stands are actually legal in this province - considering how many other regulations there are about some things.

Wolfman

sfire436
03-07-2008, 02:05 PM
I tree stand hunt with self clinbers for moose......here's how.

You def. have to pick your spots and we will go in with a quad and set it up in a large slash (you can usually fin a large "telephone pole" style somewhere in a slash.) hunt in pairs and get your buddy to stay down in cover and do some calling, the just watch the edges and you might see something come out. It is not deadly efficient but you can get something. Spend the money and get a commfy one if you are gonne be up there for more than 3 hours.

sfire436

Walksalot
03-07-2008, 02:28 PM
[
quote=Bow Walker;255763]It'd be pretty darned difficult trying to hang a stand in the pre-dawn darkness - near impossible, I'd say. :cool:

I think the idea is to hang the tree stand in the day light.

I
sure would be thinking twice about hiking in with a stand, finding just the right spot, fighting to get it hung, and then returning the next morning only to find that some S.O.B. had been in there and stolen your butt platform. :mad:

The idea is to have your stand in a place where not many people go.

I think I'd prefer to use a climber just at daybreak - cut away the necessary branches, and sit for the balance of the day. Then take my stand home with me at the end of the hunt. Call me crazy, but I'd be plenty upset about having a stand ripped off.[/quote]

You are making all that noise when it is prime time for deer movement.

Bowzone_Mikey
03-07-2008, 04:07 PM
This is what I was looking at, and I thought it was a climber.:twisted: I'm not trying to go cheap, but just like Dan said I'd be pretty upset if my EXPENSIVE treestand got ripped off. So I'm trying to find a balance here, being cost effective and safe. I was thinking to build my own stand with some 2x4s and plywood, but it's hard to get it done by myself. And my spots are usually pain in the butt to access.

Now here is the question, can the cushion of this stand be flipped when I want to stand up to shoot?

I beleive so ...

Bow Walker
03-08-2008, 01:15 AM
BHB's use of the hang-on stand sounds like a do-able plan. The only thing I have a reservation about is the screw-in steps. I'm thinking that they aren't good for the tree at all. I may be wrong, and I hope someone here corrects me if I am, but won't that eventually kill the tree?

The Hermit
03-09-2008, 09:41 AM
BHB's use of the hang-on stand sounds like a do-able plan. The only thing I have a reservation about is the screw-in steps. I'm thinking that they aren't good for the tree at all. I may be wrong, and I hope someone here corrects me if I am, but won't that eventually kill the tree?

Well you don't leave them in for ever mate, they are too expensive for that!

huntwriter
03-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Every year about thousand hunters across North America experience accidents with treestands. The majority of these accidents are due to neglecting care of the stand. Used stands are not safe unless you personally inspected them for worn and damaged parts.

Never buy a used stands that you can’t inspect before you put the money down. With treestands the rule is, you get what you pay for. It is wiser to save up money and buy new. An average climber of good quality will cost you around $300. An average quality hang on stand costs around $120. A good quality stand is a live insurance.

As for what stand is best. I own at least 15 stands, accumulated over many years. I own climbers, hang-on-stands and a couple of ladder stands. In about 80% of my hunting I use the climbers, they are easy to transport and to set up and with a little practice you will be able to climb without making any noise. The problem with climbers is that most only will fit trees of 18” to 20” diameter. Some climbers have to be assembled with nuts and bolts that are easily lost in the predawn.

Hang on stands are less portable and take time to set up. I use these stands only on spots were I can leave them for a period of time or on trees that will not be suitable for my climber. I set them up well in advance of the hunting season. To get up to the stand I use for many years exclusively climbing sticks. They are much safer and quick to set up. Screw in steps are just to much hassle and not as safe.

There are a variety of reputable treestand manufacturers. The brands I use and are familiar with are TreeLounge, Summit, Amacker, LocOn, API and Gorilla.

My advice, shop around and handle as many stands as you can until you find the one that is suited for you.

islandboy
03-09-2008, 01:02 PM
To get up to the stand I use for many years exclusively climbing sticks. They are much safer and quick to set up. Screw in steps are just to much hassle and not as safe.

There are a variety of reputable treestand manufacturers. The brands I use and are familiar with are TreeLounge, Summit, Amacker, LocOn, API and Gorilla.

Which brand of climbing sticks do you recomend?

pupper
03-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Every year about thousand hunters across North America experience accidents with treestands. The majority of these accidents are due to neglecting care of the stand. Used stands are not safe unless you personally inspected them for worn and damaged parts.

Never buy a used stands that you can’t inspect before you put the money down. With treestands the rule is, you get what you pay for. It is wiser to save up money and buy new. An average climber of good quality will cost you around $300. An average quality hang on stand costs around $120. A good quality stand is a live insurance.

As for what stand is best. I own at least 15 stands, accumulated over many years. I own climbers, hang-on-stands and a couple of ladder stands. In about 80% of my hunting I use the climbers, they are easy to transport and to set up and with a little practice you will be able to climb without making any noise. The problem with climbers is that most only will fit trees of 18” to 20” diameter. Some climbers have to be assembled with nuts and bolts that are easily lost in the predawn.

Hang on stands are less portable and take time to set up. I use these stands only on spots were I can leave them for a period of time or on trees that will not be suitable for my climber. I set them up well in advance of the hunting season. To get up to the stand I use for many years exclusively climbing sticks. They are much safer and quick to set up. Screw in steps are just to much hassle and not as safe.

My advice, shop around and handle as many stands as you can until you find the one that is suited for you.

good post huntwriter, very good info.

srupp
03-09-2008, 04:31 PM
I am purchasing a climbing tree stand for moose...I chose SUMMITT the feedback from owners was heads and tails better..I chose the Gorilla cuz of my size..and its comfortable..

Steven

sealevel
03-09-2008, 04:54 PM
I use both i have a couple hang on`s in the same trees now for 3 years. I have a climber but i will put it on the tree the day before and leave it at the bottom. With practice you can climb pretty quiet . I got a real good gorilla harness . I would recommend anyone using a tree stand to get one.

huntwriter
03-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Which brand of climbing sticks do you recomend?
There’re several good designs. Almost all major stand manufacturers have their own. My sticks are from StrongBuilt (https://www.strongbuiltinc.com/xcart/Stick-Ladders-c-252.html), they stack easy and can be set up in less than two minutes (with practice). StrongBuilt sticks come in three sections for a 15’ high or 18’ high ladder. I also use, and like very much, the Non Typical Rabid Rails (http://www.ameristep.com/treestands/rails.html) from Ameristep, they are very safe and can be attached to any tree regardless of its shape. At around $ 200 bucks they’re not cheap but heck if I am safe and comfortable I am not counting dollars.

Now just for the sake of safety and comfort have a look at my all time favorite stand, The TreeLounge (http://www.treelounge.com/). I have been using this stand for the past 15 years without any complaint. It’s the only stand that I fully put my name and reputation behind. Mind you with a price tag of over $350 it is no cheap stand but it will last a lifetime.

huntwriter
03-09-2008, 06:32 PM
I use both i have a couple hang on`s in the same trees now for 3 years.
I sincerely hope that you check them every year before you use them.:shock: Personally I never leave any stands in the woods.

I have a climber but i will put it on the tree the day before and leave it at the bottom. With practice you can climb pretty quiet . I got a real good gorilla harness . I would recommend anyone using a tree stand to get one.
Very good advice. Everybody climbing in or out of a treestand and not using a safety harness is a fool. 10 years ago I lost a very dear friend. He slipped on a icy step and only fell four feet. It was enough to break his back and neck. He passed away on the way to the hospital.:sad:
Ironically he used to call me sissy, because the moment I leave terra firma I am attached to a climbing safety harness and I stay attached to the tree until both my feet touch firm ground again.

sealevel
03-09-2008, 06:56 PM
huntwriter i don`t leave the steps in. And under the branches of a limby cedar is as save and dry as my shop.

huntwriter
03-09-2008, 07:07 PM
huntwriter i don`t leave the steps in. And under the branches of a limby cedar is as save and dry as my shop.

Okay I can relax then. You had me a bit worried there.:mrgreen:

Buck
03-09-2008, 07:42 PM
I have Lonewolf Alpha Sit and climb treestand and it is the most expensive you can get but it is very good. It is quiet to set up and once in position rock solid.
I also use Hangons and was going to buy Lonewolf again but it couldn't get to me in time so i picked up a Gorrilla King KOng at Canadien tire it is a very good stand easy to setup and you can stand anywhere on it and it is solid.I use it with LOnewolf Climbing sticks which work really well i love them.You can have several reasonably priced Gorrilla stands setup and just travel with the sticks that way no one can steal your stands.Cheers

huntwriter
03-09-2008, 07:58 PM
I like the Lonewolf climbing sticks a lot but I do not like their hang on stands. Nothing about their quality it’s just personal preference. I like a platform were my toes do not reach the edge when I stand up. I like room to move about if I have to turn around for a shot without having to look down to see where I set my foot.

huntwriter
03-09-2008, 08:02 PM
I am purchasing a climbing tree stand for moose...I chose SUMMITT the feedback from owners was heads and tails better..I chose the Gorilla cuz of my size..and its comfortable..

Steven

Just saw that and want to let you know that Summit is one of the best stands you can buy. Save and very comfortable. Good choice!

greybark
03-13-2008, 04:46 PM
[quote=Bowzone_Mikey;255733]Climbers are pretty much useless unless you are putting the stand on a telephone pole ...

;-) Wrong !!!! (with all due respect Mikey)
:wink: Ive been through them all -- Home made with plywood with rope foot rests and rope attachment--Hang-on with chain attachment -- Cabellas climbing Sturrips -- Hydro Climbing Sturirps --Lower end Summitt Climber-- API Grand Slam Climber and now have a Summitt Golith . The Golith is the best so far .
:wink: The climber can be used as a climber and a hang on (the best of both worlds) . They are safer and a lot more comfortable .
:biggrin: Worst of the bunch were the Cabellas climbing sturrips !!! Hydro sturrips were good but I had the tendency to drive in the spurs increased in propotion with height being gained . Darn it at around 12 feet I had a hard time pulling them out ..LOL

Ron.C
03-14-2008, 08:25 AM
I like the Lonewolf climbing sticks a lot but I do not like their hang on stands. Nothing about their quality it’s just personal preference. I like a platform were my toes do not reach the edge when I stand up. I like room to move about if I have to turn around for a shot without having to look down to see where I set my foot.

My buddy used these lonewolf climbing stix for a couple years. They worked great. One day he was on his way up the tree an the strap buckle holding it to the tree broke. Luckily, he had a good hold of another step, and did'nt fall.
Regardless of the manufacturer, for safety sake, make sure all your treestands and associated gear are inspected regularly.

rock
03-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Tree lounge is probably worth every penny as well a telescopic which only weighs 20 pounds, can't beat that, as well safe and comfortable

huntwriter
03-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Ron. C – I always check my stands, steps and safety belts before each season, during the season and after the season. As soon something looks worn I replace the part. I also use a climbing belt the moment I make the first step off the ground I am safely attached to the tree.

Rock – I use a TreeLounge for the past ten years. It is the safest and most comfortable treestand I have ever used.

yote
03-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Here's a tip too for when you are hunting a tree stand. I had a perfect place that I hung my stand in the year before so when I got to the Kootenays for my elk hunt I was very excited to go and hang my stand in the same place. I got to the tree, and started the climb (Summit Viper stand). I was just about to pull up my crossbow and pack when I felt a sting on my neck. Well I looked over and about two and a half feet from my head was a HUGE black jacket nest with the hum just getting louder and a black cloud starting to form. It was ugly as you know climbing down with the stand was not an option because these little b*stards can really put the hurt on fast believe me. I bailed out the back of my stand getting stung repeatedly, dangling from my safety harness. I hung on to the outside of the stand platform and cut the harness with my knife and jumped to the ground...a fair ways too and then got the hell outta there for a bit. Make sure you take a look up real good before climbing. Thought I would add this story here. Ouch!!

rollingrock
03-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Arrr, that's a good advice, yote!

J_T
03-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Yote, great story.

I only use Cros-nest stands. Light, dependable, tranportable.

I use screw in steps. Self climbers are way to noisy. Period. Not to mention way to heavy to lug in if you're going any distance.

sealevel
03-18-2008, 01:40 PM
I do like climbers i fractured my pelvis couple years ago so i can`t sit on those little seats of the hang on type for long. With a climber I always find my tree before hand and climb it cutting all the branches off in the afternoon . So when it counts i can climb pretty quit.

K-1
03-18-2008, 02:32 PM
I have a Rivers Edge climber. I attached a piece of light rope (6ft.) to tie the seat and foot stand together. This prevents the bottom from dropping away if you should loose your toe grip when raising or lowering it. I also sit with the tree in front of me and just peek around the side of the tree . This helps to hide you,, also if you should happen to fall asleep (you usually fall forward) you will bang your head on the tree and wake up:smile:

J_T
03-18-2008, 03:37 PM
I remember once, Greybark gave up his tree and his climber to my son. (Grey is always good about helping youth out) I set up my small stand not too far away.

While sitting the afternoon away, I could hear my son snoring. I used my binos through the brush, and could just make out that he appeared very comfortable. I thought he might draw in an inquisitive buck so I held my position in my stand.

At dark, I waited, then climbed down. I made my way over to him and tried to wake him up. He was all curled up and cozy. I couldn't reach him and couldn't wake him. If this was a stand with steps, I would have been able to climb up and shake him awake. :tongue: It was, quite funny.

Anyway, I eventually found a long pole and reach up and started beating on his boot. It still took a bit.

The moral is, don't get a stand that is too comfortable. You might just miss a good opportunity.

mark4
07-22-2008, 09:04 PM
The best combination that I use is 4 lone wolf climbing sticks bungeed to my aluminum Gorilla stand, which carries like a back pack. I have other stands and climbing sticks as well - but the lone wolf and gorilla combo is the smallest and lightest- very easy to set-up and the tree doesn't have to be a telephone pole LOL.

GoatGuy
07-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Home made self-climber, works like a charm. Bit heavy with steel tube - probably ~35lbs. Tie it to my pack and off to the races.

To build -borrowed a welder, bought the tube, grinder's my best friend (not much of a welder:lol:). Seemstress did the webbing.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/10077stand.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/10077crop2.jpg

huntwriter
07-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Home made self-climber, works like a charm. Bit heavy with steel tube - probably ~35lbs. Tie it to my pack and off to the races.

To build -borrowed a welder, bought the tube, grinder's my best friend (not much of a welder:lol:). Seemstress did the webbing.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/10077stand.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/10077crop2.jpg

Neat! Let my guess from what brand you copied that one off. Tree-Lounge! I got one 10 years ago to field-test and review. As a thank you the company let me keep it.

It’s one of the most comfortable and safest stand I ever used and still is my favourite today. Weighing in at 35lb. The stand is a bit on the heavy side. Tree-Lounge came out with a lighter model last year made from aircraft aluminium.

This reminds me I have to contact the company and ask for another field-test of the new model. :smile:

Ambush
07-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Lone Wolf hand climber. Fast, quiet, expensive and only 15lbs. I've never had trouble finding a suitable tree. There is no stand simpler or more portable. A hang-on may only weigh 8lbs, but then add in those 4ft long ladders or a bag of steel steps. While your still getting set up, I'm thirty feet up. And I can change locations whenever I want.

Need to get four feet higher to get the perfect veiw or shot? With a climber you just go. With a hang-on you may be out of steps or ladder.

Buy the lightest one you can afford. If it's to heavey or cumbersome, you'll end up leaving it in the garage. Just my thoughts.

I built my first climber over 25 years ago!

GoatGuy
07-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Neat! Let my guess from what brand you copied that one off. Tree-Lounge! I got one 10 years ago to field-test and review. As a thank you the company let me keep it.

It’s one of the most comfortable and safest stand I ever used and still is my favourite today. Weighing in at 35lb. The stand is a bit on the heavy side. Tree-Lounge came out with a lighter model last year made from aircraft aluminium.

This reminds me I have to contact the company and ask for another field-test of the new model. :smile:

Built ours ~13 years ago. Saw a guy that had a similar setup looked relatively easy, works like a charm.