PDA

View Full Version : bear meat

waserwolf
03-06-2008, 12:20 AM
heard today that u can not kill trichonosis in bear meat, even if u cook it well enough, any experts out there know any better or is this true?

FlyingHigh
03-06-2008, 12:22 AM
don't cook it rare, or medium rare. it has to be well done. that's what i've heard anyways. enough heat will kill anything.

todbartell
03-06-2008, 12:26 AM
wont freezing it kill it too? or is that just the worms that are in bear meat :mrgreen: yum

tomahawk
03-06-2008, 01:17 AM
wont freezing it kill it too? or is that just the worms that are in bear meat :mrgreen: yum

Bear meat cooked well or frozen for a couple months kills the trich

hunter1947
03-06-2008, 05:17 AM
Bacteria still lives in the meat when frozen for months ,COOK it well ,that will KILL and bacteria.

Tanya
03-06-2008, 05:55 AM
It must reach an internal temperature of 140F to kill trichinosis. According to a veterinarian I talked with freezing will not kill it.

Moosenose
03-06-2008, 07:29 AM
We smoke a lot of bear sausage, so thanks for this internal 140 F info.
I would stay away from bear meat if the bear was taken at or near an open dump area. In BC open dumps are mainly a thing of the past, not sure about the north country. Also, remember that bears are fond of carion which is bound to be loaded up with bugs and maggots of several genus and species, so well done is the right answer. Marinated and barbequed is delicious.

Big7
03-06-2008, 07:58 AM
I've had grain fed bear that tastes awesome, but I've had spring bear that isn't even fit for dogs - regardless of wether or not it has trich, worms etc. I wouldn't be in a huge panic to eat a medium rare bear steak!

CanuckShooter
03-06-2008, 08:25 AM
You should worry more about mad cow beef :eek:

bigwhiteys
03-06-2008, 08:39 AM
Here is a good way to kill the trich... Copied and Pasted courtesy of "Sawmill" on HuntShoot. Sounds like a great recipe.

I personaly am not interested in any critter that will eat gutpiles,garbage,dirty diapers,rotten fish,dead hunters,used sanitary napkins,it`s own young.........
Recipe

Dig a pit
Drop in a bear(whole or quartered)
Cover with danp moss and leaves
Build a tire fire on top
Go inside and eat a peanut butter sandwich http://huntshoot.coastangler.com/hunting/images/smilies/smile.gif

Carl

mainland hunter
03-06-2008, 08:47 AM
"mulies almost always taste just like they smell (like piss)."

Not a big fan of game meat?
to each their own but I fed a group of non hunters bear meat this year along side my gf's whitetail doe steaks. They didnt know what they were eating and loved it, including a full blown hippie whose face was priceless once i told her what that excellent meat was.

MOWITCH SLAYER
03-06-2008, 08:59 AM
you can get trichinosis from pork or chicken just as easy as bear. that because they are all carnivores. cook the meat like you would a fresh pork roast and you well be fine.

hunter1947
03-06-2008, 09:06 AM
"mulies almost always taste just like they smell (like piss)."

to each their own but I fed a group of non hunters bear meat this year along side my gf's whitetail doe steaks. They didnt know what they were eating and loved it, including a full blown hippie whose face was priceless once i told her what that excellent meat was.
MLH ,I agree with you on the mule deer ,I think they taste the worse of all game meat ,including bear.

bigwhiteys
03-06-2008, 09:12 AM

I am actually a huge fan of wild game meat... Just not black bear and rutty stinky mule deer.

Carl

mainland hunter
03-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Hunter1947 that was a quote from Bigwhitey the other day, I was just taking a jab because of 2 quotes in 2 days or so about game meat, meant just in fun btw. Personally I like mule deer meat but whitey's are better. and I have had a bad muley before as well so I can see where youre coming from but the last few I had were Oct. bucks and were excellent.

MOWITCH SLAYER
03-06-2008, 09:59 AM
COME ON GUY'S !! mule deer rule in every way .

RiverOtter
03-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Isn't Trichonosis a worm?? If I'm not mistaken, they are found in pockets, in the muscle of carnivores. I have also been told that you can find it when your cutting the meat up. Cooking pork and bear to "well done" is the best way to ensure the meat is safe for consumption, after it passes the visual inspection for parasites.

RO

tomahawk
03-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Well here is the facts on trich, seems we all were a little confused so I looked it up on the Center for Desease Control we site:

http://www.cdc.gov/index.htm

How can I prevent trichinellosis?

Cook meat products until the juices run clear or to an internal temperature of 170 o F.
Freeze pork less than 6 inches thick for 20 days at 5 o F to kill any worms.
Cook wild game meat thoroughly. Freezing wild game meats, unlike freezing pork products, even for long periods of time, may not effectively kill all worms.
Cook all meat fed to pigs or other wild animals.
Do not allow hogs to eat uncooked carcasses of other animals, including rats, which may be infected with trichinellosis.
Clean meat grinders thoroughly if you prepare your own ground meats.
Curing (salting), drying, smoking, or microwaving meat does not consistently kill infective worms.

Beardy
03-06-2008, 11:35 AM
I heard that some people cut open their first bear only to find the infested with worms... trichinellosis? Do you guys think that's even true? I'm asking because I'm going for my first spring grizz and I wanted to know if there were some standard that could help me decide whether or not to keep the meat. If I open the bear and he's "full" of worms, do I leave it? Do I cut around the worms? Do all bears have worms? Thanks for your help. I always find the forums so informative here, it's awesome!

pupper
03-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Here is a good way to kill the trich... Copied and Pasted courtesy of "Sawmill" on HuntShoot. Sounds like a great recipe.

Carl
hahha hilarious

MOWITCH SLAYER
03-06-2008, 01:43 PM
BEARDY- You can't see trichinosis, if you open a bear and he is full of worms it's tape worms, and yes they can be FULL! mostly from eating dead fish or a old rotten winter kill