PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in the Gang Ranch Area

msawyer
03-05-2008, 11:42 PM
Hi all...

Can anyone tell me what the hunting is like in the hills/coulees around the gang ranch, both along the Fraser breaks and in the hills to the east and west. Mule deer, Mtn Sheep, Moose??... Any intell welcomed...

Best regards

Mike

03-05-2008, 11:52 PM
Mike,
Not what it use to be, put it that way. There use to be such a huge migration of mulies through that country hunting the 4 pt. only season was not a problem. It, like so many places has been accessed by way to many hunters. But there are still some great bucks in that country along with sheep if you get the draw. It's big country and takes some know how. The Fraser is some good wintering ground late in the season, take your spotting scope and be prepared to hike your success up hill when you bag it....uhg!! Some moose too up higher.
Good luck. C/T

hunter1947
03-06-2008, 05:10 AM
The mulies were shot out of that area years back ,but if you look around there you can find some decent hunting for them ,they numbers are coming back in that area slowly.

srupp
03-06-2008, 01:50 PM
hmmm a lot A LOT of deer have been harvested out of there when they geta chance they grow BIG... bodies AND racks... there are still some decent cailies in hidey holes...there are way too many hunters.. and the animals hide very well those that grow large headgear..in the winter I still can see 3500... three thousand five hundred deer in a confined area..resident and migratory deer where they winter ... the area north of there towards the junction now has more deer but no sheep with the exception of a recent transplant....

Steven

browningboy
03-06-2008, 03:26 PM
It's a road hunters paradise, good sight seeing as well, grouse numbers are crappy but theres game around, actually just read a Murphy Sewchuck road trip(Current issue of BCO) about that area, was interesting. We used to camp at Riley Dam, but the cows became a pain in the ass as they would come into camp and shit all over the place, nothing like going out to take a leak at night and feeling something gushy between your toes! LOL
One last note, keep your beer safe, lots of camp "robbers" around.

kgriz
03-06-2008, 04:59 PM
I went once and saw lots of people but also found a medium-sized first 4-point for my buddy in 2 days and while we were dealing with it another hunter chased a huge buck off the road ahead of us that actually brushed against our tent on the way by! Less people towards churn creek than at empire valley where people camp the most and lots of deer. Go as late as you can in the season AND TAKE TIRECHAINS, there is no way that we could have got where we did without them. I don't plan on going back so if you want specific instructions (map) to where we camped at an awesome spot give me a PM.:smile:

srupp
03-06-2008, 05:11 PM
good pointskozakgriz re tire chains and late

Steven

Timbow
03-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Hunted the area 2 seasons ago. Lots of camps and hunters with nothing but small bucks hanging in almost each camp. The Empire valley seems to be a popular place for hunters from the lower mainland, not sure why. The deer are there, if the high country doesn't get the deep snow to push the big guys down they won't show although there are some decent resident bucks. Have seen sheep on a prior hunt with a couple of banana heads but nothing bigger.

killman
03-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Went to churn creek area hiked from light to dark up and down only saw small bucks one little 4x4. Not worth the effort. And yes to chains

c.r.hunter
03-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Ever since they extended the any buck season, the bucks have gotten smaller and fewer. Not to mention the stupid amount of hunters. I love the area, but might not go back. I haven't been for 2 seasons. I can't stand the people.

308Lover
03-06-2008, 10:22 PM
I second that thought! Been hunting there for 40 years--yes 40!--and cannot believe the number of hunters and also PITA types who will pitch camp in your toilet while 10000 hectares are open to use. Smaller bucks, less deer, occasional late season 4 points, but not worth the effort. Hang back and enjoy someplace else---